Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Drinking raw eggs      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Teasemeagain
Msg: 1
Drinking raw eggsPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
The more I read the more everyone describes the egg as an almost perfect source or protein.

I got home after a workout and opened the cupboards: No tuna, no cottage cheese, no other handy meat, no protein powder...

I drank a huge glass of milk (though I hear more and more how it's bad for you) with some quick since my body can use a little refined sugar after a workout... so that max has 15g of protein... not enough.

I didn't feel like making eggs and did the unthinkable: poured two eggs into a glass and drank them. It went down smooth, had no problem keeping it down and the taste is neutral, no preparation, no eggs smell.

Has anyone else ever done this? What are the health risks given the way eggs are cultivated, contained, etc.?

(I hope that I won't have the find out if there are any )
 c note
Msg: 2
Drinking raw eggs
Posted: 3/28/2006 11:48:39 AM
I did it once on a dare, when I was drunk.
 Alpina
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Drinking raw eggs
Posted: 3/28/2006 12:34:57 PM
You are taking some risk of Salmonella poisoning. Not a huge risk - maybe 1 in 30,000 eggs, from what I read on the internet.

Eggs also contain Avidin, which can cause a vitamin B6 deficiency. Cooking takes care of the Avidin thing.
 zeshil
Msg: 4
Drinking raw eggs
Posted: 3/28/2006 1:43:41 PM
Milk is a slow dissolving protien
just like eggs
eat them before you go to sleep

/endlife
 JPitalian
Msg: 5
Drinking raw eggs
Posted: 3/28/2006 2:49:29 PM
good old rocky drinking the raw eggs and the ever kid goes and tries it. I used to drink eggs and it sucked but I thought that would make me big so.. I guess salmonela is what's bad about it not to mention its horrible when that sliminess goes down your throat. I scrammble mine all the time and havent drank them since I was a teen and thought I was hard core. lol
 Teasemeagain
Msg: 6
Drinking raw eggs
Posted: 3/28/2006 4:12:43 PM
LOL has nothing to do with Rocky but with the fact that eggs have 6g of protein and there was nothing else worthy to eat... it's just that if I make an omlette, it involves oil in the frying pan and I usually add cheese to it and consume other junk... not to mention the smell that cooking eggs leaves in the house.

Traditionally I've relied on: Tuna, cottage cheese, eggs, chicken breast, turkey breast, etc. to get protein, additionally due to the way the family eats I'll eat red meat 3-4 times a week.

Now it becomes really hard to get at least 100g of protein a day which I guess is a minimum for me to keep my muscle gains. It's recommended not to eat tuna more than once a week though at times I've eaten a can a day, milk is so modified because of hormones etc. that it's also not great for you, red meat is also considered bad, and cottage cheese with has one of the best protein-content/price/quantity ratios has way too much sodium. So all in all, eggs seem preety ideal.

Any suggestions for alternative protein sources?
 JPitalian
Msg: 7
Drinking raw eggs
Posted: 3/28/2006 5:17:31 PM
well first off I don't know where you read or heard to only eat 1 can of tuna per week because all bodybuilders and fitness people eat it several times a day and I have never heard anything bad about it. I'm interested it what you heard seeing I eat at least two cans per day. I usually have my dinner be 10-12 egg whites with maybe one yolk. Go easy on the yolks, they have all the fat and cholestreol (sp) in them. the protein is distributed evenly between the yolks and the whites at about 3 grams each. I usually have a chicken breast and maybe a turkey/ham sandwich throughout the day also even though the sandwich i eat is lunch meat which isn't the best form of meat, but kinda hard to cook a bird every week. Get some whey protein powder to supplement your protein too. Its always better to eat real food especially protein since the thermic effect of the burning and processing the food itself burns calories and liquid doesn't but its also not good to not be eating enough protein. Without protein powder (which is pretty much the only supplement I use) I would never be able to get my 225-250g of protein i eat each day. This is especially important when dieting as i'm doing now for the summer. Once you restrict your carbs you have to keep the protein high to not lose muscle.
 Teasemeagain
Msg: 8
Drinking raw eggs
Posted: 3/29/2006 8:26:56 AM
I heard about tuna having either led or mercury... though as I've said I rather eat it that other processed junk.

225-250g! Just the thermal effect of digesting that is more than most people burn by exercise.

About 2-3 years ago, I was also consuming high amounts of protein around 160-190g daily 35g from tuna, 30g from eggs, 60g from shakes, 30g of chicken and the rest from cottage and there were of course those days I'd drink 2L of milk a day. I realized that all of the precious protein was going to waste because I couldn't get the right comoplex carb ratio and I was always feeling tired, my muscle mass didn't increase and while being even a little heavier then, I was weaker.

I'm currently at 165 10-12% body fat, and ideally want to get to 175-180 less than 10% bf, so I should have 150-180g protein a day?
 JPitalian
Msg: 9
Drinking raw eggs
Posted: 3/29/2006 9:58:21 AM
well i must admit I'm not a big fan of milk as I don't digest it well but its kind of the agreed upon general guideline to get 1 gram of protein per lb of body weight but this is also when you're training along with it. The normal sedentary couch potato doesnt need as much protein as me so yes it has to be adjusted to activity level. The reason I'm eating such high protein is the fact I eat very low fat, moderate carbs especially now I'm cutting up and to keep my calories where I need them I have to fill up the rest of the calories with protein. On, days where I up my carbs to refuel which is every 4th day then I'll eat less protein but I very rarely eat less then 200 at any point. I weigh 190 right now with about 7-8% bodyfat but I'm also training twice a day on most days. cardio in the AM and lifting in the PM so I'm burning a ton of cals and breaking down protein. The key is to give your body enough protein so that when its broken down during exercise or daily activities your body has enough raw materials to build back up. Thats being in positive nitrogen balance which means growth. With you eating high protein and not enough carbs like you said and being weaker it could be that your body was taking alot of that protein you were eating and using it as fuel instead of building and maintaining muscle since your carbs were low. ITs a balance you have to try to get with getting enough carbs to train but not too many which end up being stored as fat..
 wollybully1234
Msg: 10
Drinking raw eggs
Posted: 3/29/2006 10:44:52 AM
Raw eggs are yummy, just add a pinch of sugar, yeh a pinch not more, and whip it together, then down the hatch.
 Teasemeagain
Msg: 11
Drinking raw eggs
Posted: 3/29/2006 10:56:02 AM
jpitalian that's preety amazing that you're at 190 and look so huge, I would have easily given you 225 or more, I guess it's all about keeping proportions kind of like Frank Zane who looked better than 99% of the ppl while competing at 185 at 5"9, I don't think there are any competitors that height that weight less than 230-240 in competition today (while they claim to be clean), a shame
 JPitalian
Msg: 12
Drinking raw eggs
Posted: 3/29/2006 12:52:10 PM
hey tease thanks bro yeah at only 5'8 i look kinda thick i guess hehe but yeah zane was awesome and back in the day before all the crap they have out there those guys still got shredded and huge. Its too bad that all the pro bodybuilders are on steriods because kinda goes against the whole working out for health thing but oh well. big muscles sell and bring people into the seats so..its funny though if you look at the natural shows and then the pros you can see the huge difference on how the pros dont look human. I'd rather be 185 ripped and in great health then juiced up at 225 looking like a freak. chicks dont like that look either. From my experience they think its "gross" hehe. thats what i always hear anyways..
 zeshil
Msg: 13
Drinking raw eggs
Posted: 3/29/2006 1:01:38 PM
it the Niagra Falls AMERICAN water
i told everyone from the beginning
 canadianbakeun
Msg: 14
Drinking raw eggs
Posted: 3/31/2006 3:54:31 AM
okay so let me get this striaght....i'm working out everyday....weights every other and cardio everyday....i'm not losing weight and getting huge....i don't want to....i want to lose the weight and cut my muscle....i'm doing low weight very high reps but and it's not cutting weight....because of my job i can only really eat one meal a day and that is after work....maybe a protein bar or something mid-morning....i guess i'm trying to ask for help here.....bottom line.....i can't eat a lot (like i said one meal a day p.m.)...i want to lose weight (fat...mid-section is the only place where it's at).....and gain definition...what do i do with that one meal a day?....cuz i've been eating carbs for energy for the next morning workout....according to what jp has up there...kinda sounds like i've been doing it wrong.....HELP!!....the fat is being stubborn....and i'm getting really frusterated....because i'm working my balls off in the gym and so far....nothing in the fat department....everything else looks pretty good....MIDSECTION....
 JPitalian
Msg: 15
Drinking raw eggs
Posted: 3/31/2006 9:53:06 AM
I'll be honest here to save time but the sad truth is you'll never lose the fat or tone up eating one meal a day, period. Yes this sounds harsh and I'm sure there are some people out there who eat once a day and are skinny (skinny very different from healthy and in shape) but believe me you'll never get there eating once a day. If you're really dedicated to getting rid of that fat then I seriously think the first thing is to sit down and figure out first why you're not eating 5-6 times per day and also how you can change that. I don't know what kind of work you do but I find it very odd that you "don't have time" to eat more then once. What do you eat when you wake up before work? Thats why they have meal replacements and protein shakes. Real food is always better but supplements in crunch time are much better then not eating. We all have the same 24 hours in a day so its just a matter of priorities and getting a schedule. I'm generalizing here and unless your work is something insane where its impossible to eat then you should be packing a lunch or some snack to eat during the day. The reason you're not losing fat and quite frankly never will is because with one meal a day your body is actually starving and what its going to do is go into whats called "starvation mode" and this means your body will hold onto every calorie it can and your metabolism will be lowered since its only getting one meal a day. Your body can't possibly burn off calories and fat at a rate of someone that is eating 6 times per day since you wouldn't have the calories for your body to carry out its daily functions. You can have the best workouts, best equipment, best trainer, workout everyday but I don't care what anyone says there is no way you will be in great shape eating once a day. Physiologically its impossible to build muscle and burn fat with that little amount of calories. You don't have enough nutrients for your body to work with. Its like going to build a house and only being allowed to use 100 bricks. Its not gonna happen. By eating less you lose muscle mass which slows down metabolism, fat loss comes to a halt as your body is trying to conserve energy, and anything you eat gets stored for later use since your body has no idea when its going to be fed next. My advice if you honestly cant eat anything during work and can only eat once a day is live off of shakes. Its not the best way but at least you'll be getting the nutrients your body needs. If it was impossible for me to eat more then once a day i would be drinking 5-6 meal replacements in place of meals but either way at least you're getting a constant supply of calories which is the only way your body will get rid of the fat. Food is always better like I said but you have to get more calories, period..
 canadianbakeun
Msg: 16
Drinking raw eggs
Posted: 3/31/2006 10:27:44 AM
it's a gig where we really don't have time (i know you'll find that hard to believe but trust me i wouldn't make this up)...and before i hit the gym because after i'm exhausted and hit the rack after i eat....so meal replacements...shakes...bars....will be good enough?....
 canadianbakeun
Msg: 17
Drinking raw eggs
Posted: 3/31/2006 10:34:10 AM
let's just say for fun that i only can eat once a day....lay it out.....how many replacement meals....and another thing i was always concerned about the replacements and bars and such because i take supplements and will taking the replacements give me to much vitamin intake?....i take a multi (vitamins and minerals, extra c, extra e, ginsing and chromium....i really need help here i thought that kicking my own a*s in the gym would be enough....
 JPitalian
Msg: 18
Drinking raw eggs
Posted: 3/31/2006 11:40:11 AM
well if you really can't eat more then once then I would say that a meal replacement shake to make up for the missed meals. Ideally you should be eating every 3 hours and it usually works out to 5-7 meals per day. So, if you eat one solid meal then enough shakes to cover the rest. I hate recommending all these shakes since the human body has evolved to process real solid food but like i said shakes are better then not eating at all. I'm sure you drink stuff throughout the day (obviously or you would be dead and not able to type on this wonderful forum hehe) so drink a shake instead of juice, pop or whatever other beverages you drink. Get some water bottles and mix the stuff in the morning and take a few with you if you can. This way you can give yourself the calories at the times where you would just be rehydrating yourself. I wouldn't worry about the vitamins because if you take a multivitamin and drink some meal replacements the vitamins in there aren't that high of a dose in most but it won't hurt to read labels and check what your taking too. Getting in the gym and busting you a$$ is part of it but with proper nutrition it doesnt matter what you do in the gym you won't see results. I think it goes back to most people not realizing the hard work it takes to be in shape. Literally everyday, ever meal, every workout is planned ahead of time and scheduled out. Yes, most people can't and don't want to live like this but there really is no shortcut in the getting in shape department. No pill, or magic supplement. Just hard work and eating good foods all day long. It sucks sometimes but so does disease and heart attacks. I'd rather suffer a little now and put in some effort to be healthy so later on I reep the rewards of hopefully staying out of the hospital as long as i can..
 canadianbakeun
Msg: 19
Drinking raw eggs
Posted: 3/31/2006 12:51:22 PM
you're a lifesaver bro....seriously....it was kinda weird going to the gym everyday....not eating anything...only drinking water and coffee....AND NOT LOSING A SINGLE POUND....even the "trainers" at the gym said that i should be in great shape considering the workouts i do....guess i should no longer talk to a trainer that has a big mac in his hand go figure....it's just the stomach like i said everything else is ripped but it was bugging the s*it out of me.....so meal replacement bars and shakes during the work day....(4-6 times?) and dinner at night?.....coo....thanks again.....i was going nuts.....i owe you one...
 JPitalian
Msg: 20
Drinking raw eggs
Posted: 3/31/2006 1:49:00 PM
lol, hey man no problemo. I just like to help out when I can. I'm not a trainer but I do know my stuff I guess so thats just my opinion on what'll help ya. I would watch out though on the protein bars because alot of them are junk with alot of sugars and crap in there so make sure you read the labels. As far as meal replacements, any major brand like EAS, met-Rx, should be fine. Yeah and if a trainer is holding a big mac I say be weary of his advice. If hes eating that then he doesn't know that much about nutrition seeing that food is literally poison for the human body. Your stomach is always the last to be ripped so its not uncommon to look decent in all other places and then have a belly. Thats where men genetically store fat so its not just you. I would really try though to somehow eat some fruit or take a banana or something with you if possible because your body really works better on real food but if you go from eating once a day to even eating once and taking 4shakes i bet you'll notice a huge difference in energy and feel alot better. Also you say dinner at night after your workout, well I don't know what time this will be for you but if you end up eating dinner at 7pm and go to bed at midnight lets say then you could have a small meal of some protein and low carbs like chicken breast and some vegetables before bed and its not gonna hurt ya. I dont recommend plowing a plate of spaghetti before bed but eating some lean protein before bed will aid in recovery during sleep and keep those muscles rebuilding. The key is no matter what try to have a protein source every 3 waking hours if possible. This keeps you from losing muscle and keeps the metabolism firing. You can get away with not eating carbs in a meal (not good to do but just a point) but not eating protein really affects you're muscle building and recovery.. hope you get on track and good luck!
 gymrat500
Msg: 21
Drinking raw eggs
Posted: 4/1/2006 3:58:56 PM
^^^^knowing that i'm going to save so much on groceries now. When I was hungry I thought my body was trying to tell me something. I guess it was bluffing.
 catman4d2
Msg: 22
Drinking raw eggs
Posted: 8/6/2006 6:33:04 AM
who needs eggs when olives are readily available... try kalamata olives,they are a powerful muscle builder. much safer and healthier than Eggs! and contain much more protien,by weight.

they also have good fats and they are high in minerals to keep you going during a workout.
 EP
Msg: 23
Drinking raw eggs
Posted: 8/6/2006 9:56:24 AM
Hello.
Just run the eggs under hot water for 30 secs.This will kill the bacteria as it lies just under the shell.This comes from the health board people.
All the Best.
 nismo_matt
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Drinking raw eggs
Posted: 8/6/2006 10:53:53 AM
My friend i used to work with did this once, he drank raw eggs for about a month (he's a bodybuilder). He caught salmonela (excuse spelling) had it for a while, he said it was one of the worst things he ever did.

There are MUCH better ways of quality protien into your body.

Also as i side now , your body can only use 50 grams of protien ata time, so dont over do it all in one.
 thescorp75
Msg: 25
Drinking raw eggs
Posted: 8/6/2006 11:33:18 AM
Alpina is right on the money!!!

Raw eggs...no way!
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Drinking raw eggs