Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ontario  > Bad Teeth, Badly Stained Teeth      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Firmbear8
Msg: 3
Bad Teeth, Badly Stained TeethPage 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Well we all should try to keep our teeth and the rest of our bodies clean for that matter.
And yes it sounds like either you are a dentist or assitant for one thing !LOL
I also would ad it is not just a persons teeth that makes them not attractive but also the entire body should appeal to others too. LOL
 Carrie_32
Msg: 6
Bad Teeth, Badly Stained Teeth
Posted: 4/3/2006 3:58:10 PM
I admit, I have a mouth/teeth fetish.

It's one of the first things I notice on a person is their smile. Crooked teeth are one thing, unkept teeth is poor hygene, makes me run the other way, you might as well never shower or dress nice or anything else, nasty!
 angelp
Msg: 7
Posted: 4/3/2006 4:01:27 PM
Well I guess we can all guess how much i'm in agreement with this thread...worked in dentistry for 16 years
 looking 4 a
Msg: 8
Posted: 4/3/2006 4:04:45 PM
COMPLETELY!!!!
bad teeth are a huge turn off.
 Greanize
Msg: 10
Posted: 4/3/2006 4:20:52 PM
Badly stained teeth turn my stomach. It is hard to look at someone in the eye if their brown teeth keep distracting you.
There are products out there that can help brighten the smile. I know I use them and I see a difference. It may not work for everyone, but it is worth a try!
 angelp
Msg: 22
Posted: 4/4/2006 3:02:23 PM
Many people have had excellent results with the very affordable Crest Whitestrips

bluedew
Msg: 34
Posted: 5/8/2006 5:16:30 AM
Must be nice to be able to afford the high cost of whitening and braces, sorry, need to look after my daughters teeth first. Mine are crooked, but I brush and go to the dentist regularly.
Something I wouldn't be able to afford if it wasn't for my dental plan.
I don't expect anyone to have perfect teeth, just clean teeth, like a twice daily brushing clean.
My friend is in need of dental work, but can't afford it, maybe dental work should be a little more affordable for those in need. She doesn't have a dental plan and the needs of her kids come first.
 Habbier
Msg: 37
Posted: 5/9/2006 9:32:54 AM
I agree, I went on a date I think she just eat an oreo cookie it was weird not looking at how black her teeth were. I tried to over look it
 foreverpinky48
Msg: 40
Posted: 7/30/2006 8:41:35 PM
Well - here's my 2 cents worth. I'm a redhead. To many that means nothing. However, as redheads especially with blue eyes (or green apparently) and fair skin...we are suspectible to certain things apparently. Eyes - have been told on several occassions to always wear sunglasses...especially in winter. Fair skin....risk of buring in sun. Teeth: My mother was told when I was 5 that I had very porous teeth...something not uncommon in redheads. The dentyne (which is yellowish in colour) shows through the enamel..which in mine (and other redheads cases) is thinner than most. The dentist said that they were so porous in fact, the natural sugar in an apple could/would cause a cavity.
In my childhood (ok, i'm dating myself now), dentistry did not have what they offer our children today. Both my kids have great teeth, strong and white (thanks in most part to their father's genes - surely not mine) and they are straight thanks to about 10 grand in braces. They didn't have flossers, electric toothbrushes were a luxury item my parents coudn't afford - now they have disposables!, and flouride treatments weren't even around that I remember.
There is nothing I would love more than a lovely smile. It burns my butt to sit in the waiting room of the dentist and watch the damn video of the monkey and the miracles dentistry can offer. I've wanted dentures. Each dentist I've seen won't do it. Of course, they are paying their mortgages with the money I pay to them, so I understand why they won't. Zooming won't help. Each of my teeth have been filled at least 3 times. Wherever, there's a spot of tooth left, a cavity may grow hold. They cannot zoom, because of the many fillings.
I go every 3 months for a cleaning. I brush 3 times a day and floss. I chew gum....although I shouldn't. I've had 10 root canals. I actually volunteered and was a guinea pig for the dentistry students at one time...hoping to get a full set of veneers at just "cost". When I signed up for that (which was 22 years ago...I had 36 cavities.....we never got near the veneers). These days at $800/tooth, I can't afford it. I need a mouthful for heaven's sake! God I'd love a beautiful "white" smile. Nominate me for an Extreme Makeover and maybe I'd get what I've dreamed of since I was a little girl (and I'd be indebited to you forever!)
My point, not everyone with a not so perfect smile - has one by choice. I DO agree with you...there is a definite problem with visible "slime" lol. A yellowish tone, may be something quite different.
 vita_bella
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 5/12/2010 8:37:05 AM

Resurrecting this thread:

I have just met a nice man and I’ll see him again tonight... I realize this is premature but I do want to give him a fair chance to get to know each other and the only way I could do that is if I thought that somewhere down the line he might consider teeth whitening. How do I find out how he feels about it? Is there any gentle way to give a subliminal message without making him feel bad about it?

So far the only idea I’ve had is to actually include a white on white reference in an email so that his ‘gmail’ account would pick up on it and start personalizing the ads on the side of his screen... :laugh:
And I could also make a comment about some nice smile if we ever see one together but I'm not usually one to comment on other people’s appearance, good or bad

What to do?
 grindblast
Msg: 57
Posted: 12/3/2011 9:27:31 PM
Is there any other way of whitening your teeth besides bleaching? I've been a pretty good brusher/flosser/rinser my whole life, but I could never really get them looking entirely white. I've heard that bleaching isn't very good for your teeth/gums and expensive.
 dannyluv73
Msg: 59
Posted: 6/30/2012 8:12:14 PM
Some people have discoloration due to other things other than poor mouth hygiene. There is something called tetracycline that causes teeth to be streaked or stained brown /yellow.the stains are not just on the surface, but thru the entire tooth..If given to a person a s a child its a life long issue.people shouldnt make assumptions. Tooth whitening doen not last with this medical type of discoloration but for like 2 days.They must be capped, or lumineers or sumthing.800 per tooth. Im just saying, people r quick to judge a persons entire character by this.I suggest checking out the whole person.
 kickingfate
Msg: 62
Posted: 7/3/2012 7:23:09 AM
Ok , now i'm a little pissed off.

You people really need to differentiate the difference between poor Hygiene and circumstances that may be beyond a person control to a degree.

Case in point, My teeth are not perfect and i have struggled with numerous issues for years with them. Yes i even lost a few molars. Medication i was on and still on has side effects of damaging my teeth and the root system including the enamel. Its been and will continue to be an ongoing battle in my life. I brush twice if not 3 times a day and very concious of my oral health and hygiene.

I haven't had the pleasure of enjoying a Dorito chip, an almond or Brazil nut or even popcorn in a very long time because the brittleness of my teeth makes it a risk to eat these things. I lost half a molar eating some popcorn and bit into a kernel a few years back and the remaining half was so loose it had to go.

If your going to shoot people down for not having the level of oral perfection some of you obviously have reached at least have half a brain and inform yourselves on the information freely available on the internet.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2000/05/000529093840.htm

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=155719

http://www.webmd.com/oral-health/oral-side-effects-of-medications

http://www.ada.org/sections/scienceAndResearch/pdfs/patient_51.pdf

Sorry for my rant, but the utter and complete ignorance of some people is astonishing.
 BlackLady1953
Msg: 67
view profile
History
Posted: 8/6/2012 6:13:59 PM
Cheeky and Kicking, both of you are so on point! Dental work IS expensive! I am blesssed to have good dental insurance, and good credit, so I can afford to pay the $8,000 it is going to cost to save my teeth due to circumstances beyond my control. But others aren't so fortunate.......dental problems are very different from the person, say, who will not take a shower on the regular even though soap only costs $2.00 a bar. I'm so glad that all these folks on here "got the cash like that"......(being sarcastic, here!)
 delightful_m
Msg: 68
Posted: 8/16/2012 10:34:54 AM
Agree with all points made so far. When someone hides the fact they have 'bad' teeth, honesty has gone out the window. I know judging ppl in that manner isn't right, but hey, who wants to look at 'rotting' teeth when talking or something else....I don't! Such a turn off ...fro me at least!
 photopilot1
Msg: 71
view profile
History
Posted: 9/9/2012 12:56:58 PM

Someone told me which I agree someone having good teeth makes for their looks, if you have missing teeth or really bad crooked teeth, you might as well put a paper bag over your face when you go out in public. Cause it makes you a UGLY person, I saw someone put you might as well not shower or dress nice. What is the point? I think it is just LAZINESS not taking care of your hygiene.

WOW, what a mean, insensitive person you must be. How would you feel if I took your statement and applied it to YOU in this manner. Like this.....
"You're so fat you must shop for your clothes at Tents-r-Us and it makes you an UGLY person. You might as well not shower or dress nice. What's the point? I think it is just LAZINESS that you don't take care of your WEIGHT... EXERCISE.... GO TO THE GYM, and stop STUFFING JUNK FOOD down your throat!!!!!

So... how does that feel to you? Not very good, eh, but perhaps you get my point, though I doubt it. Not everybody is perfect and as long as a person brushes, flosses, and sees a dentist regularly, if their teeth are a shade that is not "plastic white", that's ok. Nature didn't give everybody the same attributes.
 happygal_28
Msg: 72
view profile
History
Posted: 9/9/2012 8:10:15 PM
Excellent point photopilot1. This whole dental topic has been done to death and go back to any related post I made and just read it! Dental care, esp for issues costs BIG BUCKS! Personally, I have really decent teeth but I am not so JUDGMENTAL as to dismiss a potential dating partner for teeth alone!!! I can't help it if I have strong teeth - not anyone's fault if you are not so lucky! My belief is that dental care should be part of OHIP, but unfortunately it is not. Dental health and physical health are part and parcel. So much so that the "dentally challenged" partner I met here on POF is now my HUSBAND of 4 years! If I had been so JUDGMENTAL I would have missed the perfect catch!! And he almost did not respond to me because of his shyness about his teeth. Character can't be changed, but appearance makes people insecure. I'd go for character ANY day! Anyone who claims bad teeth are caused by laziness can (oh nevermind. ..delete due to extremely foul language)
 louie4pfwd
Msg: 74
view profile
History
Posted: 12/15/2012 8:58:57 PM

Not all peoples teeth are "icky" because they lack personal hygiene, that is a pretty ignorant assumption to make.

I agree, I have bad teeth and it runs in my family. It's a medical condition and every male on my dads side of the family had their teeth remove before they were 25. I'm 35 and my teeth have been breaking since I was 14. I have never had the money to remove them, so the just keep getting worse. I think it's pretty bad to assume that I don't have personal hygiene, when it really isn't my fault. I went and got an estimate on what it would cost to remove them and the dentist told me $2500-$3000...and that's just removal, didn't even bother getting the price of falsies.
 louie4pfwd
Msg: 76
view profile
History
Posted: 12/17/2012 6:33:05 AM
I've always lived in smaller towns and the last few dentist that I've talk to shook their head with a condescending smile when I asked about payments. Since I just moved to a new town and I'm starting a new job in the new year with dental benefits, I will be looking into it again. I've also even went to Ontario Works (welfare) to see if they could help me and they basically told to me to "hit the road" because I had a job...of course that was a couple of years back. It's never hindered my job search or my work ability so I guess they figured it was not a big deal.
A friend suggested that since I've moved south near the bigger cities, that I should also inquire at the dental schools to see what they can do. I know they do cleanings and little stuff like that, so that's also a possibility. If I had a credit card, which is my choice, (I'm an impulse buyer), it would never have been a problem.
But I will be looking into it again, so thanks for input. I would love to get that self esteem back, it's like a lost friend from high school. :D
 sun_and_cinnamon
Msg: 80
Posted: 9/15/2014 4:34:55 PM
Hmm so I was just thinking about this subject after seeing a profile today. Low and behold I find this thread. This man had one very clear smiling picture and teeth were stained beyond belief and I hate to say almost looked like you could scrape something off of them....yes it was that clear. I like nice teeth but more importantly hygiene, granted this guy's profile I don't know a damn thing about this fellow or what he does, just saw one picture. I don't mind if they are not perfect, but clean YES. I was fortunate enough to have braces later in life, yet they still aren't perfect. Very bizarre but I've been on multiple dates with men and they only had good breath on first date. Anyone else? After multiple dates I couldn't even bring myself to imagine kissing them. I did go out with said individuals more than once to see if it was maybe just a fluke? I mean how on earth do you 'politely' tell a grown an such a thing? I'd politely offer a mint or gum after dinner, and they'd decline. Also, I have met quite a few men online who were 'non smokers' but chewed which I find repulsive. I wish they would have mentioned prior. Chewing sure isn't too kind to your teeth. However, I have dated men who smoked and chewed in the past and took impeccable care of their teeth, you would have never known. Teeth can be changed, tho like I said hygiene is what I care about. Just like 'weight' people are going to like what they like.
 happygal_28
Msg: 82
view profile
History
Posted: 1/30/2015 6:12:54 PM
still feel the same as i did when I posted this!!
 Countrygalme2014
Msg: 83
Posted: 2/6/2015 8:23:15 PM
absolutely deplorable no excuse at all why you can't brush your teeth!! never date anyone with that
Show ALL Forums  > Ontario  > Bad Teeth, Badly Stained Teeth