Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Broken Hearts  > Is it wrong for a Lady to be offended when called WOMAN?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ElayneTrakand
Msg: 8
Is it wrong for a Lady to be offended when called WOMAN?Page 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
I agree that it depends on the tone that is used. Sometimes, it can be used in the sense that you feel it is...I admit that I also feel that way sometimes, and will smack anyone that uses that tone with me. However, I have needlessly been called worse in my first relationship... for instance, "b!tch", "slu t", "wh ore", etc... all almost on a daily basis. Now THAT is what I call derogatory!
 ~rain~
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Is it wrong for a Lady to be offended when called WOMAN?
Posted: 10/3/2007 3:53:01 PM
LoneStarfish

you have issues if you think it is an insult for a man or anyone for that matter..to call you a woman
 Wullis
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 10/3/2007 5:00:11 PM
You are a woman if you are a sexually mature female

Lady is a way of life if must be earned, don't expect it to be assumed that you are one.
 Wullis
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 10/3/2007 5:07:56 PM
Women who "fetch" beers are wenches
 genegem
Msg: 37
Posted: 10/3/2007 7:08:24 PM

being called a woman is not a DEROGATORY! TERM!

but there's a world of difference between "You are a woman" and "Hey Woman" and in the latter the tone of voice, accompanying body language and the situation will make all the difference. Personally [as a male] I think the term is offensive just as "the wife" and similar.
 Paladin_Darkwolf
Msg: 44
Posted: 10/5/2007 12:52:56 AM

Well just because you are a woman doesn't make you a lady. And I have never heard of a lady being anything but female.( OK a few [bold]trannies[/bold] here and there)

Hey, I was looking for that 727!!!
 stoowart
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 10/16/2007 1:58:52 PM
smacks of weakness and extreme insecurity to even care about titles that aren't actually harmful in any way whatsoever.....prozac any1?
 Rythmn
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 2/1/2009 11:40:56 AM
Hmmm. different cultures and different slang with different connotations. When I was visiting the ex's relatives in Scotland, his cousin (with a twinkle in his eye) said to his new fiance: "get me my tea, woman" . To which she replied: "get your own f'ing tea!". She was not a lady either, I suppose, but the first "woman" who could snag this dude. He just loved it and he was educated, so he knew what he was baiting her with. Needless to say, she explained to him (also with a twinkle in her eye) how to say: "while you are tending to the tea, may I please have a cup, also?" Clearly, they were equals in all aspects of their relationship, including their banter.

When a person addresses you, it is in the demeanor and you need to assess context and body language to know the "intent". A stranger or child needing directions, may say: miss, maam, lady, or whatever their culture has taught them, while they approach or tap you on the shoulder. When referring to someone in a positive manner, a man may say that she is one heck of a woman or lady. However, sometimes the word "lady" may not give you equal access to previously male dominated worlds. Such as, a woman running for office in the usa, would like it said she is a competent woman and not be referred to as "lady" (as in having good table manners, but good for nothing else). Yet, I believe in England, "lady" is used with royalty, is it not? Still, back when that word was created, women were not able to work in those days and depended upon father's dowries and marrying a man of means. They couldn't get their own wealth. That is why female authors and artists took a man's name.

So, if you dwell on the exact word you want to hear, you may be limiting yourself and not meeting people with good "intention". On the other hand, you should be able to use your own words w/o disrespect. I do warn my kids not to call me "dude" though. Thank goodness, they've outgrown that stage. I thought I was living in the wild west!

In my circles, woman is a positive term because it is not used demeaningly and does not follow a command or indicate servitude. When I worked with non profit boards, they used to call the chairwoman, a chairman. So, from there on in, I humorously called the chairman, chairwoman. I was already accepted in my circles of influence and most of them chuckled quite a bit. I noticed that after a while, they started calling the chairwoman a chairwoman. They didn't get it, until I reveresed the tables and then it became a quick learn. However, I was not w/o power and I do have one heck of a sense of humor like the "ladyfriend" from Scotland.
Show ALL Forums  > Broken Hearts  > Is it wrong for a Lady to be offended when called WOMAN?