Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Travel  > Travel Teaching      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 feelssogood
Msg: 10
Travel TeachingPage 1 of 1    
hey you never got back to me about the info i gave you?
 Kelley-fish
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Travel Teaching
Posted: 7/25/2006 9:53:30 PM
Recruiters, in taiwan, China, and Korea usually don't have the best positions available. The best jobs are found through word of mouth when the teachers decide to go back to their own country. Some schools can't hold teachers because the working environment isn't very nice. Once a few teachers leave a school with a bad taste in their mouth all the teachers locally end up passing the bad words around and the school gets a bad name. Now nobody local will work their and the school has to bring in new blood that doesn't know anything about the situation. That's when they either post adds on the ESL sites, if the admin has the know-how, or hire an agent to help them get a new teacher about the scenario.

Now the thing is that the agents are making waaaaaaaay too much money off these deals. They take advantage off teachers that have no idea that they're heading to hell, and they're pumping serious cash out of the school. The schools pay so much money, they think you must be an amazing teacher because your salary, to them, is so high.

The agents sometime leave the new teacher guessing because the less teachers know the more the teacher needs them and the less chance of finding out that they've been dealt a bad hand.

Just browse the sites above if you want to know it all.

Good times.
 roxanne1652
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Travel Teaching
Posted: 7/30/2006 12:35:02 AM
A few years ago, I made the monumental mistake of going to Korea. I taught English for a month (12 hrs/day, 6 days/wk.), got fired, never got paid and had to wait another month so the director could get me the cheapest flight possible. Oh, it was hell. And then some.

I called the consulate to see if they could do anything about getting me home and was told that had I called them before I went over there, he would have told me in no uncertain terms not to come. (I told him that I had called the Korean Embassy to check the school out and they said it was fine; it was great--the consular said, "What did you expect them to say? That Korea sucks?") He also said that I would be very lucky if the director paid my way home, that normally, they just kick you out in the street and forget about you. I raised so much hell, that that wasn't really an option.

But y'know? If I hadn't gone, I would have wondered about it for the rest of my life .

(I've heard Peru is nice>)
Show ALL Forums  > Travel  > Travel Teaching