Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Religion  > I love Jesus but hate the church      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 RDtoo
Msg: 4
view profile
History
I love Jesus but hate the churchPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
I am not sure that loving Jesus and hating the Church is possible as the Church is known as the Body of Christ. Yes, there are many hypocrites, charlatans and plain boors that inhabit the Church but we are called to attend anyways. I had a guy tell me once that he didn't like going to Church but "it works". I have found he was right. There is something about going to Church that fulfills our needs in the contacts we make, etc.
 CountIbli
Msg: 18
I love Jesus but hate the church
Posted: 4/21/2006 7:28:48 PM

Things like intollerance, judgement and legalism seem to be what first comes to people's minds when you mention church as opposed to love, caring and compassion.

Jesus said he was the only way to the Father. He was fond of calling his religious opponents fools. He said he came to bring the sword, not peace. He taught that you were supposed to hate your mother, father, and yourself. He admitted that he spoke in parables so that people wouldn't understand him and would be damned. The Book of Revelation shows him judging people, quite harshly I may add. It's not clear that Jesus really taught love, caring, and compassion. When he healed people it wasn't out of love or compassion but to demonstrate his power.
 CountIbli
Msg: 20
Posted: 4/21/2006 7:49:00 PM
There are several instance of Jesus calling people fools. Jesus did say that you have to hate your father, mother, and yourself. He did say that he spoke in parable so that people wouldn't be saved. And Jesus came out and said that he healed people to demonstrate his power. It's not my fault that you haven't read your Bible very carefully.
 flyguy51
Msg: 21
Posted: 4/21/2006 8:01:07 PM
Count, your post says more by what it leaves out than anything. It's highly unbalanced and has plenty of your own personal "spin" added. Using the same technique, I could probably describe Saddam Hussein in a positive light (whew! I avoided saying "Hitler").

Jesus said he was the only way to the Father.

Yep. No argument there.

He was fond of calling his religious opponents fools.

He also called one of his disciples "Satan." But "fond" of doing so? Hardly.

He said he came to bring the sword, not peace.

True. He was quite revolutionary in his words and actions. Such things rock the boat of people's comfort zone. You left out that He also said, "He who lives by the sword, dies by the sword."

He taught that you were supposed to hate your mother, father, and yourself.

Supposed to hate? Hardly. I don't know if you've talked to people who have accepted Christ without the blessing of their parents, but it isn't pretty. As for "yourself", you'll have to clarify that one. I believe we can hate that part of ourselves that is selfish and petty...

He admitted that he spoke in parables so that people wouldn't understand him and would be damned.

I don't know about the "damned" part, but ya got me on this one. Anyone care to clarify this one?

The Book of Revelation shows him judging people, quite harshly I may add. It's not clear that Jesus really taught love, caring, and compassion. When he healed people it wasn't out of love or compassion but to demonstrate his power.

By the way, thanks for not calling it "Revelations." Good attention to detail. I'm surprised the message of love is unclear to you, and you'll have to back up your statement about healing.

I'll admit that Jesus is very mysterious. He seems to take on different characteristics depending upon whose interpretation you listen to. In a way, I believe these different angles on who Jesus was is a celebration of the variety we have as human beings. The problems arise when one condemns another for having a different interpretation. But you at least need to have some balance in your assessment...
 Ratero-park-man
Msg: 22
Posted: 4/21/2006 8:02:56 PM
I feel I can understand what you are implying. There is some issues here and there with the churches and not all the churches are lways going to have absolute perfection. It is good though to focus on what the church and our beliefe and faith is all about and more importantly WHO it is about and that is Jesus Christ, and We have to do our best to follow His teachings all the wya from a sincere , steadfast heart and with kindness andtender heartedness and compassion and showing true love to all people.

It is important that we understand that we must not totally focus on the church as an organization or a group calling , but as the body of Christ and we are meant to be the Light of the world, and being living example of Jesus and what true Christian discipleship is all about, and we should focus on the good and not so much on the bad. NOW that doesn't mean that we shouldn't (in a loving and caring and clear way) try to correct any erroneous actions or speaking or even teaching.

There are many good preachers and pastors and ministers out there. Look at some of the most influencial Christians in history and i mean ALL Christians be it Protestant, Catholic , Eastern Orthodox or whatever else and we should focus on them and see them as an inspiration and example of how we ought to live our Christian lives and walk daily with the Lord and be good witnesses not only in preaching with our words but also by our actions and intentions and good works and LOVE.
 CountIbli
Msg: 27
Posted: 4/22/2006 12:50:38 PM

He also called one of his disciples "Satan." But "fond" of doing so? Hardly.

He certainly called them fools enough times.

Supposed to hate [one's family]? Hardly.

Luke 14:26 If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.

Jesus's own behavior towards his family wasn't very good.

He admitted that he spoke in parables so that people wouldn't understand him and would be damned.

I don't know about the "damned" part, but ya got me on this one. Anyone care to clarify this one?

Mark 4:10-12 And when he was alone, they that were about him with the twelve asked of him the parable. And he said unto them, Unto you it is given to know the mystery of the kingdom of God: but unto them that are without, all these things are done in parables: That seeing they may see, and not perceive; and hearing they may hear, and not understand; lest at any time they should be converted, and their sins should be forgiven them.

I'm surprised the message of love is unclear to you, and you'll have to back up your statement about healing.

John9:1-3 And as Jesus passed by, he saw a man which was blind from his birth. And his disciples asked him, saying, Master, who did sin, this man, or his parents, that he was born blind? Jesus answered, Neither hath this man sinned, nor his parents: but that the works of God should be made manifest in him.
Show ALL Forums  > Religion  > I love Jesus but hate the church