Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Smokers: Would you quit smoking for your dreamboat?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Singlemaltgirl
Msg: 9
Smokers: Would you quit smoking for your dreamboat?Page 1 of 27    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27)
this is an interesting question from the opposite perspective. i mean i don't smoke but i have dated smokers in the past. i don't think i'd make someone quit to be with me but the person would have to be mighty special for me to overlook that they smoked. and then there are the smoking parameters like i don't want them to smoke in my house and not around my son, etc. my sister is a smoker and we get along great but she is also very respectful about where she smokes, etc.

of course, then there are different kinds of smokers - there are those who smoke only when they go to a bar or socially vs those who smoke often....i guess it would be easier for a non-smoker to go out with a social smoker since it would be outside the home for the most part.

i am interested in reading others thoughts on the topic.
 Fry Lock
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Smokers: Would you quit smoking for your dreamboat?
Posted: 4/21/2006 1:48:23 PM
Not a chance; I'll be smoker and a joker and a midnight toker till I can't hold it any more;
 nipoleon
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 4/22/2006 2:48:49 AM
1st off. There are lots of great looking women who already smoke, so chances are my dream boat is among that group.
Any non smoking woman who really want's to get me to quit,( and I doubt she exists ), just needs to give me something else to do with my hands and mouth.
 mogrl
Msg: 31
Posted: 4/22/2006 5:34:41 AM
i quit when i started dating my last long term "dreamboat".I broke up with him a little over a year ago and No i didnt take up smoking again.I have been smoke free for over 4 years now and i could not cope being with a smoker,cigarettes or anything else.FYI,i was a smoker for over 20 years before i quit in 2002 .
 Mistress Merika
Msg: 47
Posted: 4/22/2006 11:56:52 AM
No, I wouldn't quit for a man.

The man of my dreams is either a smoker or is a tolerant, non-preachy non-smoker.
 ICEWOLF3000
Msg: 50
Posted: 4/22/2006 12:26:49 PM
i am a non smoker, and i don't smoke nor want to, but if i ever meet that special someone is an smoker, i don't mind about it.
 crystalise
Msg: 60
Posted: 4/25/2006 3:48:11 AM
In regards to quitting for someone. Absolutely. Done it before. This time though I quit for myself : )
 prolibertate
Msg: 62
Posted: 4/25/2006 5:46:49 AM
OP, no I wouldn't quit for someone...I tried that once and it doesn't work, at least not for me...I believe that if one wants to quit smoking, they need to do it for them self; they have to *want* to quit, or it's not going to work, regardless of how many stop smoking aids they use also.

And even if I didn't smoke, or if I quit, if I met someone who was a smoker, I wouldn't ask them to quit for me.
 prolibertate
Msg: 78
Posted: 4/25/2006 8:24:22 AM

The question then should be
Would you change yourself for someone

Very good point, Wizard. When one loves, they have to love the person as they *are* not as how they want them to be.

When one falls in love, they fall in love with the person...and while habits are part of that person, does the fact that one smokes versus drinks to such an extreme excess that it changes their personality make a difference? To me, it does. I'll take a smoker over a drug or alcohol addict any day, as a cigarette smokers' personality doesn't change (I smoke but don't get nicotine fits and turn crabby when I can't have one).

While I understand that some people simply can't handle smoking and smokers, and don't want to be around one, that's fine. But I'm more concerned about someone being nasty, abusive, having no intelligence and common sense, etc. I'd much rather have someone who's not those things, whether he's a smoker or not.
 fatboy461
Msg: 105
Posted: 4/25/2006 2:29:05 PM
Hell, no...
to me, smokin is like good sex!

(i think I'll give up smokin in
my next life when I come back as
a tree)!
 crystalise
Msg: 107
Posted: 4/25/2006 3:28:21 PM

You can't quit smoking for someone else.

Completely disagree. I've done it. In fact if you have an understanding partner - they can even make it easier. Theres nothing like a bit of support and encouragement along the way.
 cotter
Msg: 113
view profile
History
Posted: 4/26/2006 6:12:02 AM
Some do wonderful things for the person they consider their "dreamboat". It seems to me some would give up smoking for such a person ... others would not, but on the other hand, they might be willing to give up something else that might "bother" their dreamboat just as much!

People make choices for their own reasons ... I would give up smoking for my dreamboat, but I would need a "substitute" for the smoking.

I heard that sex is a good substitute for smoking.
 Printscharming
Msg: 114
Posted: 4/26/2006 6:29:04 AM
I quit smoking while she continued. Didn't smoke for three years. During that time I gained 85 pounds, became very moody, and very judgemental. Turned into a workaholic to keep my mind busy. Needless to say, she didn't like what I turned into and found...you guessed it, another smoker. Pros and cons, if you love a person for what they are, don't have them change...society will eventually do it for you.
 kindapicky
Msg: 125
Posted: 4/28/2006 10:58:58 AM
I will not date a smoker. Do have friends who smoke.
 kindapicky
Msg: 126
Posted: 4/28/2006 11:03:44 AM
Hey bachelorsheaven, he should be an encouragement for you NOT to SLIP and help keep the factors away fro you. We all slip at times... Good luck
 Ron9
Msg: 139
Posted: 4/29/2006 3:08:10 PM
I am a long time smoker and HECK YES I would quit for little Miss Right.

I am very considerate of others. Smoking is a stinky mess.

When my kids (girls 25 and 27) are over to my house - I don't smoke PERIOD.

When I went out with a non-smoker a couple of weeks ago - I did not smoke for like 5 hours.

I would start right off not smoking around her - start cutting down (I am not exactly a chain smoker now) - keep cutting down.

I can already go for hours without smoking if there is a good reason too. Until I could quit or not make it past several hours - I would go outside even if we were here at my house.

I would LOVE a good reason to quit. Smoking SUCKS.

Side note - besides there would prolly be much better things to suck on.
 Sweet Euphoria
Msg: 143
view profile
History
Posted: 4/29/2006 4:45:34 PM
YES! What better motivation? I plan on quiting this summer. I have a goal and I'm going to stick to it. If the right man comes along in the meantime and insists I quit sooner, I would definitely give it a go.
 ExcellentLover
Msg: 147
Posted: 4/29/2006 7:10:51 PM
If it's truly the right person than there should be no concievable reason not to give up smoking if they wanted you too, just so long as they give you support through the process. It's one thing to yell "Take me as I am!", but that person wants you to stay around as long as possible 'cause they hopefully care about you. Give up the smokes and you'll get to be together longer.
 Bandito
Msg: 153
Posted: 5/1/2006 9:25:58 AM
I quit about 18 months ago....kick the sticks and make it a non-issue
 Gmaverick
Msg: 163
view profile
History
Posted: 5/2/2006 3:51:27 PM
I'm considering the possibility to quit on my own already, so it’ll probably give me a reason to take a final decision.
But I guess if the person of my dreams doesn’t like smokers, she probably saw me, and kept walking, which means, I never had the chance to find out that she was the one.
 Bandito
Msg: 164
Posted: 5/2/2006 4:02:54 PM
Kick the sticks for yourself

Forget about living longer, smelling better and feeling better about yourself...I can't tell you how much more attractive you will become to the masses....specially in the 35+ age group.
 Gmaverick
Msg: 165
view profile
History
Posted: 5/2/2006 4:07:20 PM
Ha ha, tks, I'm getting there.......
 Bandito
Msg: 169
Posted: 5/3/2006 7:46:11 PM

We all know we should quit and we'd be healthier, so you reformed smokers can stop reminding us now

I am a reformed non-smoker now after 27 years of being addicted. I don't harp on the health thing here at all but it is a nice side effect.

I try and make a point that you would be far more attractive to the population of non-smokers and reformed non-smokers specifically if you quit.

I am still addicted, I have to admint that fact to myself. So I can hardly go near a smoker, even an occassional one if I was looking to date her. I know I am not the only one that feels this way.

So its not about health, or even lack of tolerance to the smoke or the smell. The fact is you are only attractive to other smokers...the people out in front of building...in designated smoking rooms and areas. Ever notice that the number of people in those areas are getting smaller and smaller and less attractive?

I am really trying to help here rather than be a spokesman for the anti-smoke movement. Sorry if it sounds that way sometimes...my interests are genuine.

Bandito
 Ratero-park-man
Msg: 171
Posted: 5/13/2006 9:58:26 PM
Not really into smoking at all. IF they smoke i would ask them to never do it around me, or anyone else because of the health effects.

Thats not being shallow, thats being save and I am not afraid to speak out about that. I mean for example, when someone smokes in your car, regardless if they have the window open , it's just not right and it's to be honest even rude.

If the smokers have a serious problem with their smoking , I would try to help them with it if they would want my help and let me to help them, but otherwise a relationship cannot and will not work if there is constant smoking and no intent on quiting even for you partner, and thats one of the decisions i made and it wasn't easy but I couldn't take the second hand smoke going into my lungs while I'm driving or whatever.
 NeverGiveUpNever
Msg: 173
view profile
History
re
Posted: 5/13/2006 10:28:29 PM
Why make such a fuss about smoking. Apparently 50 percent of our pollution in ontario is caused by the coal electrical plants in the states according to studdies. Also the cigs are a big tax revenue for the goverment and a bonus to all of this is the insurance companys can blame smokers on everything and save themselves a bundle. These smoking complaints just feed the big corporate companys to make even more money. Ever go to a huge plant and see no smoking signs. They are spewing out tons of garbage in our air and some small weeding cig is being blamed as the culprit. If you want to be some idiot in society and solely focus on cigs .. do it . .. if you want to have our children and there children have a happy life on this planet in clean air then think for christ sakes. This is only implied to those who wish to condone ciggarettes only and not see the bigger picture.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Smokers: Would you quit smoking for your dreamboat?