Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ontario  > CANADIAN FLAG IS NOT flying half mass!      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Laurapca
Msg: 1
CANADIAN FLAG IS NOT flying half mass! Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Can someone please tell me why our CANADIAN FLAG IS NOT flying half mass! I am so pi$$ed off that our soldiers are over in Afghanistan working to bring security, democracy, self-sufficiency and prosperity to the Afghan people yet our own goverment will not lower the Canadian Flag for OUR fallen soldiers!
 Wizard097
Msg: 2
CANADIAN FLAG IS NOT flying half mass!
Posted: 4/24/2006 9:50:49 PM
heya Ipca
1st of all..typo..half masT

I kind of sit on the fence with this after hearing from Vets today..some were pissed and others werent (sidenote--while driving down the 401 today i noticed the Husky in London had their huge flag at half-mast)
I think we should be honouring our soldiers by flying half-mast especially at govt bldgs BUT as a few vets suggested, then the flag would be at half mast pretty much every day which would really bring home the point that ppl are dying and create negative reactions here, which btw , whether you agree with this mission or not, the soldiers dont need--they need our support. One caller(a multi year war vet) simply stated that it should be flown on remembrance day to honour all our fallen at one time. I tend to lean that way.
 Darklord 13
Msg: 3
Posted: 4/24/2006 10:01:17 PM
It shouldn't really surprise you does it? It really doesn't surprise me in the least! Inside thing I guess, but really, it's no surprise!
 Laurapca
Msg: 4
CANADIAN FLAG IS NOT flying half mast!
Posted: 4/24/2006 10:11:00 PM
Thank you for pointing that out 1st of all..typo..half masT I guess you could say that I am a little upset because I myself look at things in a different light but I tend to agree with you in a way. We deffinetly don't need to be making the men and women over thier down I do support thier efforts 100% I am a Canadian and I stand behind all Canadians... And thank you for the out look I did not hear that on the radio today I read my local Newspaper I wish I would have listened to the Vets that may have set my mind at ease.....

Darkloard this will be the first and only time I will probably agree with you on one thing and no it comes as no surprise .........!
 Darklord 13
Msg: 5
Posted: 4/24/2006 10:17:21 PM
LOL, how is that rude? I didn't mention squat about your spelling! AS for my comment, really it shouldn't surprise you, the government does this sort of thing all the time

EDIT--changed the post I see. so did I, sorry.
 kindirishman
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 4/24/2006 11:10:07 PM
I heard about this. It really *isses me off, no respect for soldiers that put their lives on the line. I guess they weren't kidding when they said Harper was a George W Bush prodigy huh?
 Leeanne
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 4/25/2006 4:26:35 AM
Toronto city hall just lowered theirs. I think we all should!!!!!
 stevea29
Msg: 8
Posted: 4/25/2006 5:47:33 AM
The flag was never flown at half mast when a soilder dies until the last corrupt liberal govt it only flies at half mast on Nov 11 that hounours all fallen soldiers....it never flew at half mast during any world wars or korea so get over folks
 SingleMan66
Msg: 9
Posted: 4/25/2006 6:00:43 AM
I support our men and women serving overseas and at home.

From what I understand from reading posts on other boards from serving soldiers, the flag flying once a year is okay by them as long as the proper protocals for repatriation are followed.

If its good enough for the people who's buts are on the line it should be gould enough for us.

Let us respect them and the fallen.
 Wizard097
Msg: 10
Posted: 4/25/2006 7:04:23 AM
Well said Michael

I decided to read a bit more on this and the correct answer is

Its been a long standing tradition that the flags were NOT lowered on govt bldgs except on Nov 11. Though it has been encouraged that the bases where the fallen soldier originates be lowered. The Liberals after much noise made it a point to lower flags on parliament blds when they felt like it. Sometimes they did , sometimes they didnt, depended on if they felt they needed some browny points..thats whats sad.

On another note..barring the media from being at Trenton when the dead arrive is crap in my opinion and that sort of thing wont last.
 SingleMan66
Msg: 11
Posted: 4/25/2006 8:00:51 AM
Actually a member of the armed forces was kind enough to inform me via email of the reasoning as he understands it:

The media attention the losses have generated and the coverage are tools to erode public confidence and support.

Insurgents browse the net and watch the news as well.

Canadian public uproar actually lets them know that they have made an impact. This leads to increased targeting.

Some ppl may not agree with the logic, though I see it. This is from someone who serves, so I have no reason to doubt him.

Of course no one explains that to us, so we all freak out. I have to admit I was initially outraged, but information has given me another side of the story and allowed me to have a more informed opinion. Rather then just what the media is reporting.

We need to know about losses so that we can appreciate and respect the costs of these missions, but, I am sure if the relevant govnmnt officials were to explain things properly, then, I feel that this would not be an issue. We would be discussing how sad we are over the loses.

With respect and support to the men and women serving.
 Wizard097
Msg: 12
Posted: 4/25/2006 8:05:45 AM
Thanks for the clarification Michael...never thought of it that way and it does raise a very valid point.
In the end...respective parties should quit playing politics with our losses whether it be the media attention or the flag lowering
 0rgan donor
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 4/25/2006 8:13:10 AM
for one, id say michael brought up a very good point.

also - the flag-lowering is just a symbol of our grieving. but we can still feel the same way without it being lowered. how we feel is the important thing. im not quite as worried about showing it, because im pretty sure that, whether we think they should or shouldnt be there, we all feel sympathy for the loved ones of those that died

vvvvv i agree, when i first saw this i was, i dont know about upset, but definitely puzzled
 SingleMan66
Msg: 14
Posted: 4/25/2006 8:19:04 AM
Well,

I admit that I was manipulated by the partial media report. I was outraged at this perceived slight to the soldiers.

I have no excuse other then I forgot to think things through for myself.
 justin6767
Msg: 15
Posted: 4/25/2006 8:37:55 AM
I tend to disagree micheal, everyone that you would not want to know, allready knows Canada's involvement. This is just hiding the reality of what is going on over there. Some say the governement is worried about a negative reaction towards sending the troops over. They think it will be used politically against them. Some say it is to respect the privacy of the Kin. But, for some reaosn I think the Kin would not be offended and would probably receive masses of support. There are several different reasons I have heard. But, I do not believe it should be blacked out to the media. There is probably several storries to be told. The public should see the reality of the risk involved in serving our country and should be allowed to show their patrism and support. By masking the media, you are making it harder for our country to do that. Seeing this time of thing may help in bring a little more respect to the men and women that serve our country
 smileyiam2
Msg: 16
Posted: 4/25/2006 8:50:23 AM
I think our flags should be flown at half mast! My ex-husband still serves in the Canadain AirForce, and out of respect for all the military and their families we should honour our men and women over there who are serving their country in this time of war! On the military bases their flags will be at half mast. All goverment building should fly the flag at half mast!

In my opinion our troops should not even be over there! We are "Peacekeepers" NOT a country who fights and who is at war with everyone. That is why we are loved and admired throughout the world and we are not hated like the Americans!

Lets show some respect!
 justin6767
Msg: 17
Posted: 4/25/2006 9:01:07 AM
see that is the reason for the media blackout ^^^^^^ they did not want this to turn into a political stand point on who is in favour and against the troops be over there.
 stevea29
Msg: 18
Posted: 4/25/2006 11:32:21 AM
We have been fighting wars alot longer than being peacekeepers wow how people forget
 Hezron
Msg: 19
Posted: 4/25/2006 12:15:28 PM
We are not peacekeeping in Afghanistan. We are helping support the American agenda in the region through force of arms...this is war...not peacekeeping. If anybody would actually like some insight into why we are there read "The project for the New American Century" The plan for afghanistan was developed in the late 90's. Of course there is a mainstream media balckout on this in Canada and The United States. Did you know that British and german Diplomats have already confirmed that the US told the Taliban that they were going to play ball on the caspina sea oil pipelan or they were going to be roemoved by force...this was just months prior to 911...get the fact people..once again the governemnt is using the old bring them peace and democracy as an excuse to push economic agenda through force of arms. The brave men and women of our armed forces are in harms way and no w getting killed for no other rerason than to support the US plan for the region. Look into it and decide for yourself. But the flag should be at half mast because, despite the reasons for us being there, Canadians have lost their lives.
 nedly
Msg: 20
CANADIAN FLAG IS NOT flying half
Posted: 4/25/2006 12:38:39 PM
Flags are only flown at "half mast" on ships. On flag poles it's at "half staff".

Military people take that convention very seriously.

I will not be lowering my flag for any politicians who die, that's for sure.

Maybe my pants however.
 Laurapca
Msg: 21
CANADIAN FLAG IS NOT flying half staff!
Posted: 4/25/2006 4:48:27 PM
Flags are only flown at "half mast" on ships. On flag poles it's at "half staff".

I am sorry that I did not use the correct political term it was not meant in any disrespect....

I am stilled tossed if the men and women can live with this dission that our goverment has made then I will always stand behind them.

But I never want to see that flag fly half staff for any goverment official again I believe that respect is something given when earned and the men and women over in Afghanistan have done more then thier share to earn that repect with me. For that matter any Canadian Soldier has earned that respect they are the ones that protect our country our so noble GOVERMENT!

I am not debating this and I mean no disrespect to the families at all they have suffered way to much loss.... So please do not take me wrong when I say that I am upset to see the flag not at half staff that is not my intentions at all!
 Always Smiling35
Msg: 22
Posted: 4/25/2006 5:02:15 PM
I have to admit I was initially outraged, but information has given me another side of the story and allowed me to have a more informed opinion.

If more people did that there would be allot less "outrage".

Common people when was the last time you EVER heard of a PM traveling to the war zone it-self and actually bunking down with the troops overnight?
When Harper did that it said all there is to say about his, and our governments support of our brave soldiers.

Knowing that happened wouldnt some-one be inclined to check out why they are doing what they are doing with the flags?

And if any-one paid attention to what goes on in the house of commons, rather then allowing the media to give you all your information, you might find you actually agree with some of their moves. At the very least you will have a clearer view of whats going on and be able to make a much more informed opinion.

Personally I agree with what Harper is doing with this, and baring the media from covering the caskets of our war dead being unloaded onto our soil.
 jimmy jazz
Msg: 23
Posted: 4/26/2006 12:24:55 AM
The purpose of this state/corporate-manufactured debate is to distract the people living in Canada from the fact that Canada is sending poor, innocent kids to die for her insatiable imperial, colonial desire to conquer by way of channeling the legitimate concerns of those whose children were sacrificed at the altar of the imperialist state into a nationalist project of intolerance and glorification of war. Instead of having a debate about why the politicians in power and their wealthy patrons are not fighting the war themselves instead of sending poor kids to do it; instead of having a debate on whether a state that has been actively impoverishing its population for at least a decade now (by effectively lowering welfare rates and the minimum wage, by raising prices of basic necessities, by making it more and more difficult for people to acces basic medical services, by increasing the cost of education etc.) can afford to fight a war half-way accross the world or whether sending the poor off to war is precisely the solution to unemployment and poverty; instead of debating whether or not the native people's uprising in Ontario reveals the truth of the fact that we are living in a settler state which is no different from what south Africa used to be and whether there is a qualitative difference between conquering North America and conquering the Middle East; we're debating how high we should raise the colonial imperialist flag. How we honour the lives of the dead is a negligable concern compared to how we treat the living--and Canada has sent the living to kill and be killed and we've been too desensitised from years of propaganda and exploitation and thus too cruel to give a damn. The best thing Canadian government can do for the soldiers (who are still alive) and their families is to bring them back home, discharge them and hook them up to good food, a decent place to live, education, a useful job etc. But Canada wouldn't be Canada if it did that. Canadian is a capitalist state that has to fight wars in order to force the people to get up in the morning and toil all day so that the capitalists can live in abundance and luxury. Brave journalists should go into Afganistan and film the slaughter of soldiers on all sides and show the people what their state is behind. Soldiers in Afganistan should return to Canada and turn their guns against those who are sending them to death.
 Darklord 13
Msg: 24
Posted: 4/26/2006 1:14:26 AM
hey S.F.M.

I agree with some things you said and don't with others. I think, I guess, I'm not sure, lol!

Exactly WTF are you trying to say??? Do you have a condensed version?? Preferable two or three sentences. Thanks!
 ~Jenni-pooh~
Msg: 25
Posted: 4/26/2006 4:03:41 AM
So the flag wasn't flying low yesterday upon their return.... It really is too bad, because I see it as paying respects for those who chose to put their lives on the line. How silly the government looks when every other flag around is at half staff and not theirs! I suppose it goes along with their decision to eliminate media coverage at the base when the bodies of those fallen soldiers arrived. How appauling that family members had to fight in order to get access to that base!! I find that much more of an outrage than the flag.

The men and women over there have voluntarily gone and this is the way we show appreciation for their efforts? Forget the flag, because if we lowered it, then it would always be at half staff? Block out the media like it's never happened? Come on...

It's one thing to change the rules, but the government should at least have some tact and announce it at a time when there aren't lifeless Canadian bodies on their way back home! I think that's where they need an etiquette lesson.

Show ALL Forums  > Ontario  > CANADIAN FLAG IS NOT flying half mass!