Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Travel  > Worst place you ever been?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 someotherdude
Msg: 11
Worst place you ever been?Page 1 of 17    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17)
Colon, Panama.
 roxanne1652
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Worst place you ever been?
Posted: 8/9/2006 5:11:20 AM
Ulsan, South Korea, but I think I waxed poetic about it in another thread.
 someotherdude
Msg: 15
Posted: 8/14/2006 11:29:05 PM
And Cozumel is the nice part of Mexico.
 inasia
Msg: 24
Posted: 8/30/2006 6:51:24 AM
Kuta. Best to get a bus to Ubud as soon as you arrive in Bali.

Manila. Hard to believe that this was once considered the pearl of the orient, before the Japanese invasion.

New Jalpaiguri in India. This is where you catch the little train up the mountain to Darjeeling. Not a place to say unless the train isn't running.

Ipswich (in Queensland, Australia - not the one in Suffolk England, which has one or two saving graces).
 piper1960
Msg: 28
Posted: 9/25/2006 6:46:47 PM
Hi
I loved Djibouti, no rules, of course I wasn't a local. I spent 2 months there doing famine relief into Ethiopia back in 92 on Hercs. Stayed downtown at the Menalik,around the cormer from the souk. got drunk with the legion guys
Just thought I would say hello to someone else who had been to the a*** of the world.
Greg
 MrDebt
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 2/1/2007 9:18:20 PM
Abuja, Nigeria, followed by Lagos..
 tjrogelio
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 2/11/2007 9:09:54 AM
.......Walmart.......
 vbxtc
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 2/14/2007 10:00:30 AM
Hands down, Kingston, Jamaica. Five minutes from the airport and our hotel shuttle was silent as we dumbfounded middle class Americans tried to absorb the degree of poverty we were surrounded by. Sheet metal/plywood/cardboard shacks seemed to be the norm, chickens and goats were running around everywhere, "normal" houses covered with iron bars looking more like armed forts. We were told by at the hotel that we should never leave alone, and not to go out at night at all. The armed guards at the gate and front door should have been a hint. I'm 6'5", at the time 230 and grew up in Southeast DC, so I wasn't used to not going where and when I wanted to. I ignored that rule and damn near lived to regret it. I went out to a KFC at 9pm about ONE BLOCK from the hotel. On the way back I had to dodge four very persistent beggars and a couple of guys I'm very sure were just waiting for a chance to mug me. I have never been happier to walk through a gate in my life.
 Girlflower
Msg: 70
Posted: 5/25/2007 1:33:47 PM
Wow reading through the posts really brought back memories...

Karachi Pakistan.. having to boil the water to pour over your just washed dishes to prevent amoebas.taking your maleria pill every morning at breakfast and the shots you need (17 in all) to stay healthy if you're going there.. and the beggers and lack of sewer systems where the locals defficate on the hills all around the place... Know exactly what that smell is in the Mysterious East..not so mysterious afterall.

Istanbul, Turkey after my brothers water bombed a local Cop and he came knocking of the hotel room door dripping wet....lol Oh hated Greece...too crowded. Same for London.... Berlin is a cool city to visit. Same for Bangkok except hotter than haities.

I lived in Beirut in 1966 the Yom Kippur War wasn't until 1967 (and it was on the Sinai Desert and Egypt) .. so somebody is a lier...here! From 1963 to 1971 only saw a few mortars.and some riots not bad really.. Incoming!!!! Great Beaches.. fabulous food and what a Tan!!!!

Just a little of my "traveling experiences". I lived in Pakistan, Germany and Lebanon growing up. The worst place and most dangerous places were Rangoon Burma...1970. This society is still closed off from the world.. the plane landed and men with machine guns came onboard to make sure no one but the CIA Agents disembarked. The Winner is.... TAAA DAAA Saint Kitts! Went there on a Windjammer Cruise and the local Gendarme came on board in Nazi Costume and marched all over the Vessel snapping his riding crop against his boots looking for some poor American victim to haul off to jail..... Anyway we nicknamed it St. Shlitz... lol and mooned the Island as we pulled out of Port.

Traveling is an adventure... Thank the Gods my Folks passed on Kinsasha Ziare...where there are spitting vipers in the trees and you have to iron your jeans dry to avoid those pesky bugs that lay their eggs in the seams.. and if your wear them without doing the hot press the next day you have them nested in your skin and will have the seams forever on your body... hum will that be the next tattoo.....?

Happy trails...
Going bananas in dating land....

Bwanajack
Msg: 72
Posted: 5/29/2007 5:28:04 PM
on vacation worst place was new caledonia...the people there hated us...and several
of the ships crew got robbed...

tijuana mexico is a bad place...but has nice places also....
you are more likely to get robbed in San diego than TJ

the miami airport sux'd....the TSA people became very friendly though when they
saw my diplomatic passport.... but were complete A8**s before that

chicago Ohare airport wasnt the kindest place either...

rio de janiero was nice...just full of beggars and thieves....and worst

also the public restrooms across the bridge from singapore in malaysia.
I highly suggest never ever go there....

respects
 Girlflower
Msg: 80
Posted: 6/12/2007 4:27:03 AM
Thinking on the gunfire mentioned above... The Mayfair House in Coconut Grove/Miami, Florida was in the Japanese soaking tub on the balcony when a few gang bangers decided to settle a score down in the Atrium.... no amount of Laural Ashley and antique furniture could overcome that "romantic" weekend! One of the reasons I moved North!!!!! Miami my birth place is one of the most dangerous cities in America can't figure out why anyone wants to visit there! Especially if they speak German!!!

Too bad what you're sying about Rome... it has always been one of my favorites.. remember after High School in 1968 graduation in Madrid going there and hanging out on the Spanish steps.... always thought of going back one more time! Guess the days of wine and roses are passe'.
 SoLongThanksForAllTheFish
Msg: 86
Posted: 6/20/2007 9:04:41 AM
Maybe my memories are getting pleasantly foggy, but it's hard to think of any one place I really disliked. Even the toughest places (Sudan) had a wild appeal to them.

Jakarta definitely ranks high on my "not fond of" list, though. I'd spend a couple hundred bucks extra to avoid Guangzhou also. Kathmandu is a great place in many ways, but the pollution will kill you.
 mooty
Msg: 88
Posted: 6/22/2007 2:37:08 PM
Jamaica. We didn't stay at an all inclusive which might have made the trip better, but my whole time there I was miserable. Too much poverty, people begging, making uncomfortable references to my small child. Horrible time!
 kitchensink
Msg: 89
view profile
History
Posted: 6/22/2007 6:53:04 PM
Within the US, probably a tie between Detroit and Miami.
Outside of the US, parts of Paris.
 peopleinparadise
Msg: 93
Posted: 6/26/2007 3:06:24 AM
Hi everyone...great discussion!

Barbados is nice - my brother was married on the beaches there about 4yrs ago!

I think the worst place I've been to was Tenerife while working on a cruise ship - creepy! right out of a movie creepy!

Mexico, definitely, is my fav place in the world - I lived all over Mexico for about 15yrs mostly but also worked on cruise ships and in the Caribbean but I keep coming back to Mexico - travel is the greatest industry in the world! This website says it all: www.ytbTravelMovie.com

By the way, anyone looking for jobs-on-cruise-ships(.com) can contact me at www.peopleinparadise.com - that's what I do!

Happy travels!
PeopleInParadiseTRAVEL.com
 jheldatksuedu
Msg: 96
Posted: 8/23/2007 9:53:12 AM
I just posted this elsewhere but it fits here too.
Italy
The year was 1982. It's the only place I spent most of my time trying to get out. We had rail passes, we were traveling along the French Riviera, we got into Italy about 10am and the lights in the train started to flicker, the AC went out, we got to Milan, and they informed us over the loud speakers the country was on strike, don't bother asking questions unless you spoke the language. We were pointed to a line waiting for the next train out of the country. Waited in that line for 6 hours. Finally got onto a Snell Zug ( fast train) headed up the Swiss alps. Didn't care where it was going just out. We had a lovely dinner on the train in the fancy dinning car of white asparagus with a cheese sauce and white wine. It was great to be out of Italy, never been back.

The trip was thanks to the Hunt brothers trying to corner the market on silver, made tons of money on that one.

I'll stop there in a couple years on my boat trip around the world. Still looking for a mate.
 lovableladywanted
Msg: 97
Posted: 8/23/2007 4:48:57 PM
I have not travelled that much outside US. I have been to Bahamas via cruise and Toronto Canada. Worst places I have visited in this order . No offense to these cities . 1 Toronto
2 Los Angeles
3 Baltimore
4 New Orleans- before Katrina
5 Atlanta
 lovableladywanted
Msg: 100
Posted: 8/31/2007 3:10:50 AM
^^^^ You are correct. I was in SF once and not overly enamored by the city to be honest. The one night we[ex gf] hung out in the local 'Cheers' like pub was phenomenal, just hanging out and relaxing with the locals . It truly was like we were part of the regular crowd that night. The unexpected is always good .
 aSydneyMale
Msg: 104
Posted: 9/4/2007 1:09:53 AM
Jogjakarta Airport in Indonesia.

Besides the fact a Garuda jet crashed killing 50, including 5 Australians in April?, I spent 18hours being treated like a piece of crap by said airline a few weeks ago whilst on terminal waitlist on the busiest day of the year.

I finally got booked on another airline on a flight that should have taken off at 6.30pm... it ended up leaving at half past midnight because they had to get the plane from Medan!

The single worst travel experience.
 whothehellknows
Msg: 105
Posted: 9/5/2007 6:39:32 PM
There are a few places that I have been too that I have zero interest in returning too, but I must say in almost every foreign country I have visited some of my fellow Americans have embarrassed me.

Just one example would be when I went to Ireland and took a bus tour of the country. Some of my fellow travelers kept comparing everything to their home, didn't understand why the people would not take dollars and insisted on Euros, and weren't happy with anything the entire trip (music, food, accommodations, people, etc.). I can't speak for everyone's experiences, but most of the people I have seen who have not enjoyed some of the places I have visited (14 countries, 45 states and counting) would not have been happy with almost anything. They set their expectations too high. I wonder if this applies to some of the people whom have posted previously.
 unbroken
Msg: 106
view profile
History
Posted: 9/7/2007 4:51:42 AM
Tijuana. I've been there twice, and hated it both times. What absolutely blew me away is that both times I was there, a drunken US military jerk tried to pick a fight to prove how tough he is. Let's see, I'm a US citizen who was in a foreign country and a member of my own country's armed services tried to start a fight with me. If you're wondering, no...I didn't say or do anything to either of them, I just don't know what the reasoning was.

Yeah, TJ was the worst, hands down.
 tall devil
Msg: 109
view profile
History
Posted: 9/8/2007 9:38:24 PM
Buffalo.

Do I really need to state the reasons?
Msg: 110
view profile
History
Posted: 9/9/2007 11:38:04 AM
Detroit,
Family lives there, entire city bombed out.
 psunit
Msg: 115
Posted: 11/11/2007 4:42:21 PM
My nasty vacation destination award goes to a certain hotel in Orlando that my family spent the night at in 1978 where we opened the door upon arrival and were greeted by a pair of palmetto bugs inside the room!
 Pfm1011
Msg: 116
Posted: 11/11/2007 7:26:24 PM
Mombai....hell on earth .... 10 million homeless cant be wrong...

If pakistan and India ever do nuke each other..it will be urban renewal

Nigeria.....

The favelos <sp>outside of Rio

London England , on the streets when the pubs close hahahaha
Show ALL Forums  > Travel  > Worst place you ever been?