Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > HELP!!! Top 10 most aggressive dogs?????      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 nottylady
Msg: 5
HELP!!! Top 10 most aggressive dogs?????Page 1 of 12    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12)
You can add Alaskan Malamutes to the list. They can be very aggresive.
 designingwoman
Msg: 8
view profile
History
HELP!!! Top 10 most aggressive dogs?????
Posted: 5/4/2006 9:49:53 PM
I have an attack poodle named FANG. Beware of the Dog!
 tjrogelio
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 5/5/2006 11:37:25 AM
I have read that Dalmatians bite more than any other breed, though not as visciously as some breeds.
 designingwoman
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 5/5/2006 5:44:56 PM
I think it's all in how the dog is treated. My cousin, uncle and grandmother all have had German shepherds that were as docile as can be because they were lovingly cared for and in pleasant surroundings. One of my friends has a rottie that's as sweet as can be.

I went to a party some years ago. At the party, several dogs were present. Among them, two yippy yappy Yorkies that were annoying and a sweet Doberman that was as gentle as can be. I adored the Dobie and spent time playing with her because of her gentleness.

Dogs respond to how they are treated and trained. I would say that it's not so much the breed as it is the owner, the training the dog has and the dog's living environment.

I was once bitten by an English setter that liked to run after people and jump on them. That dog was probably the worst dog I ever met in my life. It was aggressive and not a good dog to have around in a neighborhood full of children.

I do not now have a dog but I would like very much to have a dog. I was joking on this forum earlier about getting a small poodle and naming him Fang! I could also get a Rottie and name him Sugar Boo. So unlikely names but what fun!
 RSwindol
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 5/6/2006 5:11:08 AM
I used to work in people's homes at my last job and have been bitten by dogs twice in doing so. On both occasions the dogs were Long-Haired Dachshunds. My sister's dog trainer then told me that unlike their short-haired cousins, they are some of the most protective dogs by nature and that they tend to be extremely aggressive (especially for such a small dog).

Jack Russel terriers can be mean little **stards too.
 YambaG
Msg: 43
Posted: 5/8/2006 9:28:45 AM
you are all wrong chihuahuahs and small poodles are far more aggressive then pit bulls,rott weilers labradors and german shepards lol i had 2 pit bulls that were great with children and anyone else for that matter i could take them anywhere and leave them untied without worry of them attacking anyone but try walking up to a small cute little poodle and petting him chances are youd get your hand chewed up its sad that a few scumbags just happened to pick the pit bull,rott weiler and shepards which are all great dogs even family dogs if well trained and treated and teach them to kill just so they could make a few extra dollars because of people like this everyone will always fear the pit bull,rott and so on

Potentially aggressive breeds:
* Llasa Apso: can be cranky with kids
* Toy poodles: bite out of self defense
* Dachsunds: not very patient
* Rhodesian Ridgebacks: very dominant breed
* Miniature Pinschers: "big dog" mindset in little body
* Pekinese: intolerant
* Chihuahuas: prefer adults, not tolerant of kids
* Chow Chow: one-person dogs, bite without warning
* Giant Schnauzers: very dominant breed, will even challenge adults
* Old English Sheep Dog: very protective of owner
*****r Spaniel: very protective of owner
* Rottweilers: very protective
 RSwindol
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 5/8/2006 3:07:08 PM
I too disagree with the****r Spaniels. I think his list is pretty accurate except for that.

I had a****r growing up and the dame thing was a peach.
 justjazz
Msg: 51
Posted: 5/9/2006 7:34:57 AM
Ahhhhh the dont bad mouth my wonderful, playful, congenial, children loving pitbull, Rotty, Doby thread has raised its ugly head again. Is aggression truly the point or is it the amount of potential damage inflicted?
 justjazz
Msg: 55
Posted: 5/9/2006 2:51:01 PM

Let's look at it this way (as I'm starting to babble). Would you rather have a vicious chihuahau near a toddler or a gentle pitbull?

A chihuahua....even on its best day some small lacerations is the most damage it can do. A playful nip from a powerful dog can cause severe damage. As far as great danes, my brother is a vet and he either sedates or muzzles all great danes when treating them. They are not the "kind gentle giants" that everyone believes. Are they bad dogs, of course not but the risk involved is too great to endanger ones livelihood.
 FullMoonWisdom
Msg: 58
Posted: 5/31/2006 11:01:42 PM
You may not believe this...but I once read that there was a study done.....The single most aggressive canine, that will turn on it's master in the blink of an eye.....Ready!!! Is a Dalmatian! Seriously....in this study, they cataloged over 300 reported cases of Dalmatians turning aggressive for no apparent reason.

Edit: Ohh! BTW....that was out of 1500 cases.....Pit Bulls came in second!
 DC2Integra85
Msg: 76
Posted: 6/2/2006 1:01:16 AM
i wouldnt put pits anywhere on that list. i used to live with a room mate who over the course of time had 2 different pits...daisy and dioji. daisy was one the sweetest dogs id ever met. at first yes i was intimidated but when she started waking me up in the morning with licks to the face and her personality i totally changed my perception. with dioji he was another playful good tempered pit the worst he did was whine and howel when my room mate wasnt within viewing range.
 DC2Integra85
Msg: 80
Posted: 6/2/2006 10:53:27 AM
I own a Carin Terrier. Is she deadly?
 GT99
Msg: 85
Posted: 6/2/2006 7:24:16 PM
lmao...don...you have something against pitbulls?

just so you know...other dogs do indeed attack...and they also cause damage...even labs.

your argueement is weak.

whats gonna be the comeback? The CDC stats? where pitbull "type" dogs cause the most fatalities?

do me a favor, because I could talk all day...work in the canine field...talk to trainers, vets, shelter workers.

let me know why the American temperment testing society ranks pitbulls so high? are they wrong? They do test these breeds for a living.

in canada the stats go back to 1983...out of 55 dogs involved in 23 "fatal" attacks, pitbull "type" dogs account for one.

if you need sources, let me know

your CDC stats of pitbull "types" is so flawed it is not funny, in fact why dont you email the CDC and see their stance on pitbulls...they will even tell you.

its not the dog it is the owner, the facts prove this...look at every single place BSL was used...not the ones they reversed but the places that the pro-BSL people use as examples of success....in ontario...kitchener banned pitbulls in 1997....just ask, I will blow that sucess out of the water...same as the winnipeg ban....really, pitbull attacks went down...sure...all had to be removed from the city...yet dog attacks went up every year after...is that sucess?

well according to the attorney general of ontario it is...but he was already made to look like a complete idiot on TV when he couldnt even identify a pitbull out of a line up of "show" quality dogs, he picked the wrong dog...again, lots of "know it alls" who judge by what limited info they hear from sensationalistic new stories. Too bad they cant do their own research to form an opinion.

keep throwing flawed stats out, after I am done laughing at you, I will reply.
 FallenDark99
Msg: 100
Posted: 6/4/2006 10:22:52 AM
to help you out and correct you..its actually german sheppards ...worldwide at least...they are trained all around europe to kill people by biting the neck and surrounding area....
pitbulls are not as dangerous as people beleive..its just that lower class familys will buy it..and most of the time the poor dogs are abused and are sometimes trained to fight other dogs..thats what their purpose was at first..but from what ive seen with pitbulls they can be very cuddly and cute :)
 packagedealx3
Msg: 114
view profile
History
Posted: 6/5/2006 1:11:56 PM
Dogs are like people, every one has its own temperament and some are more defensive about food than others. Dogs are territorial, they are also pack animals and see anyone that lives with them as a member of the pack. The best way to deal with your situation is to make sure that when the dish is down, anyone that is over knows to stay away from the animal, or just remove the dish when the dog is not eating and save feeding for when people are gone. I had a dog, sweet as could be, but don't get around her food. She has since died but the current dog, who is about the size of a small pony, I could reach halfway down her throat, take away the food, and she wouldn't bite. She allows the 7-year-old to try to ride her, lay on top of her, and otherwise just be a real pain in the rear from the perspective of a dog. On the other hand, she is very territorial and knocked out a glass pane in the front door going after the x-husband when he was behaving badly and five in the front window making sure the mailman knows whose house it is. She distrusts and is aggressive toward men unless she is sure they are supposed to be there and otherwise would lick someone to death. I have several friends that don't knock when they come in because she gets so excited and we are still working on the jumping. She knows they belong in the house but if it were a stranger, better get out of the house as quickly as possible. Breeds aren't bad and most dogs are not, as others have mentioned, unless their owners have helped them develop the poor "peronsality" traits. Some blood lines can be a problem if breeders have focused on intentional breeding of aggressiveness. If you are getting a dog from a breeder, do your research both on the breeder and the parents or intended parents of a litter. Be practical about the food thing and otherwise, it sounds like you have a good dog.
 packagedealx3
Msg: 116
view profile
History
Posted: 6/5/2006 2:34:32 PM
Labs and shepherds tend to be very protective breeds and it would be interesting to discover what the human behavior was behind the bites. If there territory is threatened or if their people are approached by others, they may bite, not out of aggression, but because they are protecting their own. My vet made a very interesting comment not too long ago when I mentioned how nuts the dog would get every time the mailman came. He said that mailmen (can't help it is their jobs) play a very dangerous game with dogs, they invade their territory every day. People often do not look at things from the dogs' perspective.
 GT99
Msg: 129
Posted: 6/22/2006 2:19:25 PM

Yes their being inbred... but its got nothing to do with why they bite, you can't blame the entire breed of dog just because of a few incidents.... it has to do with how the dog is treaded, how much training they have had, whether it be in class, or the owner training it themselves and whether the dog was provoked enugh to bite in the first place.

To those who say the smaller dog will not cause alot of damage... did you ever think about if one of those little dogs bit and punctured a child/or adult who had Hemophelia, they could possibly die because their blood cannot clot.

I don't agree with having them muzzled.... but i do agree with having them in training classes and having a license for them. ( i have one for my dog, and had ones for both previous dogs).

you are right...why blame the breed?

why blame the pitbull? I do not blame huskies or goldens, but statistically they are alot more likely to kill a child than a pitbull.....you cant argue this, its fact. Stat wise anyways, of course you can break it down to bad dogs and bad owners...which I believe is the case...but this is what I have had to deal with with my dogs in ontario. I do not think any dog should be banned, I think people should be responsible for their dogs regardless of breed.

do you know that under bill 132 in ontario that if I walk my dogs...and a loose dog comes up and attacks them, and they even try to defend themselves...they are not only DEAD, but I am also entitles to be in jail for 6 months and a $10,000 fine?

crazy? yes, it is...who is at fault? my leashed pitbulls or the aggressive dog that ran across the street to attack them?...in ontario...I am at fault...why? because my dogs are pitbulls, regardless of what atrted it...the pitbull is always at fault...look up the legislation.

they banned them for public safety.....why? sled dogs (wonder what breed they are) account for the majority of fatlities in canada (pitbulls account for one and the breed ID is desputed) (this is also from the current court case on the ban, if you want the referance I will give it to you)

all in all BSL is Bull shit legislation...no dog is worse than the next, however it seems that people defend their dogs to make pitbulls look worse...if you want stats...we can play that game too
 Ratero-park-man
Msg: 140
Posted: 6/27/2006 10:55:07 PM
Good question, well I would say (as of late on teh news and what has been going on) maybe the pitbull is KNOWN for it's ferociousness. But I think a Rottweiler and German Shepard and even a Husky and Dobermen, if you get them mad , LOOK OUT. It depends some dogs that cops use are also ferocious and are well trained to do their job. Also some dogs in Europe and Asian and other continents where the attitude towards them is different or even hostile , they can be pretty mean too because you get out of them what you give to them.

So it all depends.

I assume we are NOT including Hyenas and wolves or else they would obviously be the meanest and most agressive for obvious reasons.
 Ratero-park-man
Msg: 155
Posted: 7/8/2006 4:51:35 PM
I always wanted to get a boxer. They are hard working and good dogs. I also like huskies. I would have to say that the German Shepards are the best trained and disciplines dogs, not the pitbull!!@ Majestic Lizard Man

thats my opinion. But there are many types can be arrgressive and it depends on then owner and environment, it's upbringing and the skills it's taught not to mention it's moods and the individual personalities of each.
 grizzelda
Msg: 163
view profile
History
Posted: 10/30/2006 5:41:33 PM
Boxers???
I dont have any stats but I cannot believe that this breed is an "aggresive" dog!!
Having had many dogs, mixes, Dobes, and Boxers. They are the least aggresive and the most affectionate. They take a hit because of their "look"

To whoever said they wanted a boxer. Get one. They are great dogs. But be warned they are not a sit around the living room dog. They want to be with you where ever you are LOL.
Thye dont live too long 10 years and can have many health issues but all in all a great breed.

It all comes down to the owners. You get what you put into it. We had the best behaved dogs and we got all the comments on it. If you arent willing to put in the time and effort into a dog you shouldnt have one. I dont care what breed, big or small!
 rare_treasure
Msg: 167
Posted: 10/31/2006 10:36:39 AM
i have a killer boston terrier named redginald , if he wont get ya i will

dont beware of the dog beware of the owner! ........ hee hee hee
 FrogO_Oeyes
Msg: 185
view profile
History
Posted: 7/6/2007 11:22:16 PM
Dingos are sometimes considered to be a separate species from other dogs. This view treats a number of different, similar breeds from around the world as Canis dingo, while most breeds remain Canis lupus [aka familiaris]. It is likely that many breeds and breed groups arise from separate subspecies of wolf. The idea that dogs are one species or subspecies is scientifically incorrect. The various wild species of Canis are called "dog", "jackal", "dingo", or "wolf", though very few domestic breeds appear to be derived from jackals or wild dogs.

That's the taxonomy, more or less.

In terms of aggressiveness, it is found in both dingo and wolf breeds, though the worst all seem to be among the wolves. Some breeds seem to be prone to this, but there can be bad ones in any breed. The worst do tend to reflect largely upon the owner or breeder. It's a bit of a "chicken or egg" scenario: some breeds appeal to the worst breeders and owners, and they in turn increase the number of bad individuals in those breeds, both genetically and behaviorally.
 ChocolateNutt
Msg: 205
Posted: 7/25/2007 6:49:22 PM
"The ones that people often think are, like pit bulls, staffies, mastiffs, rotties, dobies, etc..., are only trained like that, otherwise they are awsome family dogs and tend to get along well with kids. /"

From talking with people who own or spend a lot of time with pitbulls and staffies, the comment that they are trained to aggressive is not the actual truth. The correction would be that they learn aggression towards humans. They have a reputation for being naturally aggressive with other dogs because that's what they have been bred for.

As for Rotties, I've actually seen them on a Top 10 list of dogs for families. There are exceptions, but all the rotties I have seen have been really good with children. The problem is that all the bully breeds have really strong personalities and need firm and consistent handling by an experienced owner and to be introduced to obedience classes very young.
 cmp1988
Msg: 211
Posted: 7/26/2007 11:02:18 PM
Of the list in the original post, I'd say the Chow is the most aggressive. They may be small, but they're complete ***holes.
 Mesnafugal
Msg: 216
Posted: 7/29/2007 9:05:18 AM
I'll skip the comment on humans.. since this thread is regarding DOGS.

I have a German Shepard and always have, the one I have now is probably the sweetest dog you will find. In fact people laugh about how friendly she is... but she is getting older and more attached to me so I do have to be careful of "certain" people.

I had a Ridgeback... was not aggressive but she was not friendly towards strangers either, she did nip my old b/f when he drove up on his harley.. hmm.. should have listened to her. I've also had a Rottie.. he was a sweetie too.. but very protective! I've had many dogs over the years and it really depends on the dog. I do not like Chows because I do not trust them, they are a very sneaky type of aggressive to me. PEOPLE can make dogs mean or can train them to be nice. But some dogs (just like some people) just have the make up to be aggressive and mean. I personally will never own a bull dog and will not let anyone on my property have one. That is my choice, and my right as the owner of this property. Some of the most aggressive dogs I've been around and protective are LABS..... You can go by different lists.. in the UK they do not allow bulldogs (terrier type). And it seems all over the USA they are banning certain breeds.

Some owners should not own any type dog, especially the ones who have a tendency to be aggressive. I've had people brag about things their dogs have done thinking it would impress me.. NOT... it's sad but once dogs are ruined.. they usually have to be put down, too bad we can't do that to the owners too.

One thing that has not been mentioned is that the BREEDING has alot to do with how a dog reacts to things. People get so greedy they do not care about breeding for temperment.. only for the $$ part of it. The rottie I had was actually BRED for a gentle temperment. None of my shepards have ever been aggressive. My Ridgeback while not at all aggressive was very protective, I could be talking to someone and she would sit between us on my FEET!!!
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > HELP!!! Top 10 most aggressive dogs?????