Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > What nationality [ethic background] are you?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Bigger Guy
Msg: 2
view profile
History
What nationality [ethic background] are you?Page 1 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
English / Scottish / Danish / North American Indian / A good mix......
So I look like a tall pale indian with english accents occassionally sneaking in.....
 queenrhiannon
Msg: 3
view profile
History
What nationality [ethic background] are you?
Posted: 5/4/2006 11:32:40 PM
Scottish/Irish

Love to drink - hate to pay for it.
 wonwascallywabbit
Msg: 10
Posted: 5/5/2006 12:02:12 AM
Well I'm a purebred, genuine, grade A, prime cut, no preservatives added, American Mutt. Why would I go and mess that up. I've met those in cultures that were exclusive, to each his own. In the U.S. it doesn't mean much to most what nationality you are. Some places though marrying outside of your culture can mean a lifetime of banishment and shame if your staying there. If your lucky enough to be leaving to a culture that allows more freedom, great. My ex was Indonesian and her parents turned their backs anytime they saw us. That shame was enough for her to loose her ability to be happy. Would I do it again, yup, two beautiful daughters that live with me and many years of happiness just the same. I would guess if that type of thing is embedded in your psyche it can be a heavy cross to bear.
 littlebit70
Msg: 14
Posted: 5/5/2006 3:30:50 AM
Well, Lizzie, it may be curiosity regarding any familial and/or cultural influence towards your Buddhism. Also, those interested in geneology and/or history tend to enjoy finding others with similar interests/hobbies...may be a question trying to segue into a discussion of that type, as well. I wouldn't (and don't) take it as a personal affront.

In any event, I hope you don't interpret what is most probably idle curiosity and/or genuine interest in learning more about you as a "red flag" to drop development of what you feel otherwise might be a person with whom you'd wish to have a relationship (friend or more). I'd hate to see you potentially miss out on positive relationships in your life, based only on your view that such an inquiry is racist and/or derogatory in some fashion. I hear this question all the time, and I am happy to discuss it; it always seems a complimentary question when asked of me and almost without exception leads to very interesting conversations on cultures, views, influences, history and the like.

Hope this helps, and good luck to you!

Take care,
B*
 lucilou
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 5/5/2006 7:22:39 AM
Yum,Yuck,Yikes? Wow I like what you said on your comments. I am Asian/Spanish and I am proud of my ethnicity, proud of my cultures too. I would not trade my ethnicity for anything.
 captnjimbo
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 5/5/2006 6:53:01 PM
My friends ask me, "as an outsider, what do you think of the human species"?
 MDNinja
Msg: 30
Posted: 5/8/2006 11:32:27 AM
I delibrately not ask. I actually say "I am not going to ask you what your ethnic background you are because it's a boring and common question that you probably get from everysingle drooling moron that hit's on you." Then they laugh and tell me anyway.
 arri
Msg: 34
Posted: 5/8/2006 8:54:22 PM
That's a pretty dumb question to ask .. the proper question would be;

What is your heritage?
 fatboy461
Msg: 52
Posted: 5/11/2006 11:32:31 AM
I'm 3/4 English and 1/4 Irish

behind deep blue eyes
Msg: 54
Posted: 5/11/2006 4:18:57 PM

Is the absolute worst question to ask someone.

I disagree. I don't think it is wrong to ask someone what their heritage is! We should be proud of who we are and where we came from!

My heritage is Russian, and I am damn proud of it!!!
 blondago56
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Posted: 5/11/2006 6:40:27 PM
if its asked in a non-accusatory,non-judgemental way in the course of a common-topic converstaion, (did i say all that ok?..lol.. ) i dont see whats wrong with it..
(*i am Italian, Sicilian, English, & Sioux Indian) ...hugs...
 Wolv576
Msg: 63
Posted: 5/21/2006 8:02:40 PM
It's the first thing Asian women like to bring up with me. I just answer truthfully and ask about their background. When white people ask me, I say I'm from San Francisco.
 abyssdc1
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Posted: 5/21/2006 10:17:01 PM
sigh... its just a simple question.

Canadian/Irish.
 ArmorPierce
Msg: 67
Posted: 5/22/2006 12:53:58 AM
I don't see why it would be a bad thing? I hang out with peole who are proud of their cultures and of where they come from . I am pretty mixed and I am proud of my heritage. I don't buy into the having to know where you're from to know where you are going but it's still nice to know where you're from however I do sometimes feel out of place (not white enough, not hispanic enough). I ask people all the time that question all the time I am culturally and geographically aware. It is just very easy piece of conversation starter.
 Polly_G
Msg: 68
Posted: 5/23/2006 3:00:34 AM
Irish/Scottish/Iroquois

I have a status card and use it as a 2nd piece of ID. I hate it when the person starts going on and on about how I don't look native (well duh, I never noticed that b4) then telling me about every native they've ever met....like I'd know them or something.

I am polite because I know they mean no harm. Just annoying sometimes. I don't mind people asking though and I don't mind telling.
 Gmaverick
Msg: 74
view profile
History
Posted: 5/24/2006 1:14:55 AM
Well, neither the habits of my family nor the place where I was born has any resemblance on my personality.
This is so true, that every person I met from my own country don't believe that I'm from there. There's even one person who don't believe me after showing the ID from my Country.

I consider myself to be a human being, for me this means that my body is something that i have and use, but it isn't me, I'm the unit of awareness which is aware to be aware and habitats that body, THAT is ME!

And despite of the genetic heritage this body has, I will still be who I am even if it was completely different.

Because all the Ideas, considerations, manners, type of behavior, way of thinking, that makes me WHO I AM, come from all the experiences I ever had, and the things that I have learned, 99% of what I learned in my childhood from family school etc was dismissed at the age of 22, when I decided that I WILL ONLY use my OWN mind to find things out.

So my body yes has some mix. Like most of us, Spanish, Arabian, Italian, Native American...

Who cares..??? You won't see any of it in my personality anyway.

If someone like to know WHO I AM…… that person would have to interact with me to find out.
And, if my body was completely different and I would have lived the exact same life, I would still be the exact same person.
 FullMoonWisdom
Msg: 75
Posted: 5/24/2006 2:15:50 AM
Native American~Cherokee Tribe(1/4)/German(1/4)/Irish(1/4)/Swedish(1/8)/Finnish(1/8).........Heinz 57 all the way!
 Montreal_Guy
Msg: 76
view profile
History
Posted: 5/24/2006 7:14:13 AM
A Canadian of Irish ancestory ( Catholic AND Protestant)
 arri
Msg: 79
Posted: 5/24/2006 1:21:15 PM
Doesn't bother me when I am asked what is my heritage ... but don't like it when someone asks .. what is your nationality. The answer that comes to mind .. is Canadian
 Poet102781
Msg: 88
Posted: 5/25/2006 1:41:07 PM
German, Irish, dutch, danish, indian, black, and jewish with a splash of mexican.
 zenobyte
Msg: 94
Posted: 5/26/2006 9:48:24 PM
Non-Hyphenated-American
 lucilou
Msg: 95
view profile
History
Posted: 5/28/2006 12:48:50 PM
Oh Well!!! cant hide my ethnicity not that I would hide it, I am very proud to be Asian. Mostly one can identify ones ethnicity anyway. If I dont get any e-mail because I am Asian so be it I dont care, everyone has their own ethnicity choice to be their love one's
 Poet102781
Msg: 106
Posted: 5/30/2006 7:04:28 AM
I think when a person asks that question...they are trying to adapt to the culture you rep..so they can either impress you...or not say something that might offend you....but my personal take on it is....WHO GIVES A FCUK?

People are people where you come from shouldnt matter, just like how much money you have in the bank...but alas....thats not the case.
 juan23ocen
Msg: 110
Posted: 6/2/2006 8:18:54 AM
HI GIRL HOW ARE U DOING I WANT TO MEET PEOPLE LIKE ARE U ARABIC? CUZ I LOVE ARABIC GIRLS I MEANT I HAVE A LOT OF FRIENDS FROM THERE I JUST WANNA NEET U CUX I LIVE HERE IN MEXICO AND I WANT TO MEET U DO U WANT TO BE MY FRIEND WRITE ME BACK PLEASE I REALLY APRECCIATE THAT THANKS
 Fry Lock
Msg: 111
view profile
History
Posted: 6/2/2006 11:04:10 AM
Greek and Cherokee Indian....ergo I am the hairy lady that drinks too much and talks to the trees...
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > What nationality [ethic background] are you?