Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Religion  > If you meet Buddha on the road kill him?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 defenestrate_me
Msg: 4
view profile
History
If you meet Buddha on the road kill him?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)

Does anyone have any insight on this famous zen quote? Buddhist, non-buddhist opinions welcome.

If you meet Buddha on the road then kill him, because it is a fake Buddha, because the real Buddha is inside you.
 nightlord
Msg: 7
If you meet Buddha on the road kill him?
Posted: 5/8/2006 5:55:00 PM
OR, it could be interpreted as such.
Buddah, the being who has found perfect enlightenment. Therefore, if someone you pass on your travels claims to be this "Perfect" being, kill him. If you can't, you have therefore found the perfect being. Otherwise, he'll die just like the rest of us and you won't have to worry about following a fake god. :)
 nightlord
Msg: 9
Posted: 5/8/2006 9:21:53 PM
^^
Uh... were you there?
Neither was I... interpret it your way, and -I- mine.
 mizladyluck
Msg: 14
Posted: 5/11/2006 6:48:49 PM

Who's that Buddha? What does it mean to "meet" the Buddha? What does killing the Buddha imply?[\unquote]

Sounds like the Crucifiction. Sounds like a questionable patent.
 AwP
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 1/26/2007 12:43:04 AM

This Koan has several meanings that are important in my practice: If I met Buddha on my travels and he spoke his wisdon to me and I heard it fully, I would become enamoured with its wisdom and that would be the end of my practice and the begining of the worship of buddha. Secondly a pre-occupation with Buddhahood or enlightenment may arise and that very desire will become a stumbling block to my awakeining. So for my practice to continue the death everything else that isn't authentically me including the teachings of buddha must occur.

This is closest to how I see it, it's about breaking attachment. If one was walking down the road and met Buddha (the real original one), one would be tempted to follow him around and try to absorb his wisdom. Trying to absorb someone elses wisdom, even Buddha's, would make it more difficult to awaken your own. Much like zenandtheartof said.
 scorpiomover
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 2/17/2009 6:18:48 AM
No-one genuinely says they are your friend. If you are friends, they show it in everything they do, and it's obvious to both of you. If someone says "We're friends, aren't we? Lend us a tenner", they usually aren't your friend, in that they want a tenner, but have no intention of giving it back.

No-one genuinely claims to be Buddha. If they are Buddha-like, enlightened, then they don't NEED to tell you. They live enlightened. It shows in everything they do, and it's obvious. If someone says "I'm Buddha. So trust me that I have your best interests at heart. Give me your all money for it will enlighten you. Have sex with me for it will enlighten you", they are not Buddha, because they have no intention of enlightening you. They just want to scam you.

Such people will take everything you have, and then leave you with nothing. They will not stop until you are so weak, you cannot hope to wreak vengeance on them, even in the future. But they cannot do that, without leaving you destitute, with no life to live, not now, not in the future. They want to take your life. What is more, they want to take everyone else's lives too. They are a blight on humanity.

With such people, mercy is an evil to them, for they store up a level of karma that, when it will eventually come back to haunt them, will be of a size so big, that they cannot possibly hope to rectify it, without several years of hard effort and suffering. To even give such people an inch, is to enable them, and that will bring them terrible pains when their karma finally comes back on them. For such people, real mercy is tough love. Kill what they consider to be themselves, their terrible desire to con people out of everything they have, and leave them for dead.

When you meet (someone who claims to be the Buddha), (know that he is your mortal enemy and know that the best thing you can do for him is to) kill him (not literally, but push him hard, that he does not con you, and that he is dissuaded from conning others, for his sake as much as the world's).
 JustDukky
Msg: 38
Posted: 4/7/2009 12:00:21 AM
The image of the Buddha is not the Buddha. Meeting the Buddha on the road is yet another illusion because enlightenment is concealed by your preconception of it. Killing the Buddha is the act of ending preconceptions. When all the false images are gone and no illusions remain you are enlightened.
Show ALL Forums  > Religion  > If you meet Buddha on the road kill him?