Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > DaVinci Code film      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 diverjohn
Msg: 1
DaVinci Code filmPage 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
I've heard great things about the DaVinci Code. This is not the first time people have speculated about any offspring sprung from the loins of Jesus of Nazareth, e.g., Last Temptation of Christ.
Anyone on Vancouver or the Island interested in watching the premiere showing this month?
 *Rock*
Msg: 2
DaVinci Code film
Posted: 5/8/2006 5:41:09 PM
just bought the book, couple chapters in, looks like a good one....i'm thinking the movie will be good too...
 Doc Sage
Msg: 3
DaVinci Code film
Posted: 5/8/2006 5:41:47 PM
__Yes, but my lady got to finish reading the book first. I read the book a few months back and the author's prior novel with the same charactor. Like them both.
__Nice how he took some unrelated historical facts and intertwine them together to form a wonderful and entaintaning story.

Doc
 Vancouverette
Msg: 4
DaVinci Code film
Posted: 5/8/2006 6:18:35 PM
I'm planning on buying the book too. Sounds interesting and I bet the movie would be great too. I like Tom Hanks.
 Crazy_Blonde
Msg: 5
DaVinci Code film
Posted: 5/8/2006 6:53:20 PM
PICK ME PICK ME, lool Just joking, really I have been waiting for this movie to come out...I am in the Vancouver area, so it would be great to go with some people, I hate doing movies by myself..loool

I just re-located back to Vancouver, after being away for 15 years, so it would be nice to have some friends to go with...
 richard76
Msg: 6
DaVinci Code film
Posted: 5/8/2006 7:03:26 PM
borrowing the book off a friend and am a few chapters in. i like to read the book before watching the movie because i find you get more from the book about whats going on (ie what the guy is really thinking).
 sweetness-one
Msg: 7
view profile
History
DaVinci Code film
Posted: 5/8/2006 7:53:44 PM
I thought the book was great, although I'm not entirely sure that it will "translate" as well on the big screen. There's a LOT of little details in it that I think perhaps might be missed in the onscreen version...I would definitely recommend reading it first for sure...awesome book!
 Velzy
Msg: 8
DaVinci Code film
Posted: 5/8/2006 7:57:01 PM
Oooh, don't stop there! Be sure to read "ANGELS & DEMONS" too! Great reading! I hope the upcoming movie is true to the book..the small bit of trailers I've seen seem right on! OOOH the details make it so good!!!!!
 diverjohn
Msg: 9
DaVinci Code film
Posted: 5/8/2006 8:16:07 PM
Thursday, 18 May, CTV (sorry Texas gals) airs an investigation into the evidence depicted in the book. Their announcer is sent to France and the UK to get first hand info for the TV audience. Hope its time doesn't clash with ER.
I haven't read the book, but I did catch up on the Knights Templar, who marched into the holy land to reclaim it from the Turks. Rumour has it that they discovered the Ark of the Covenant and took it back to Europe. Unfortunately for the KT, the pope had most of them murdered. Next rumour has the Knight's treasures kept by the Cathars of SW France. When the pope's army was in the process of killing them, a secret package was smuggled out of their mountain-top fortress. Rumour says the secret pkg was the remains of Jesus; scholars believe it was gold used to fund surviving Cathars.
Wish the papacy hadn't burnt so many heretics and their books ... but I'd better watch my back in case they're reading PoF forums :-)
 Warrior612
Msg: 10
view profile
History
DaVinci Code film
Posted: 5/8/2006 8:36:01 PM
Very blasphemous. As a Christian I find such things mortally offensive.

I work at a movie theatre, and I could see it for free, but I still won't.

If someone made something about the prophet Muhammed, everyone would be up in arms about it. But since it questions the status of Christianity, and Jesus Himself, it's perfectly okay.

From what I hear, it also isn't even close to being historically accurate. Sad.
 vanillawhip
Msg: 11
DaVinci Code film
Posted: 5/8/2006 8:37:50 PM
Just finished the book today, and I found it interesting. Will go see the movie. Would be interesting to see how the book translates onto film.
 Doc Sage
Msg: 12
DaVinci Code film
Posted: 5/8/2006 9:21:59 PM
__^^^^Much will be lost. Hollywood does very well with actions but poorly with thoughts, feelings and will avoid anything too interlectual not to loose the interest of the general viewer.

Doc
 c note
Msg: 13
DaVinci Code film
Posted: 5/8/2006 9:35:33 PM
Adapted screenplays rarely equal the original work, but a glance at the cast list and knowing that the movie was directed by Ron Howard...

Hollywood does very well with actions but poorly with thoughts, feelings and will avoid anything too interlectual not to loose the interest of the general viewer.

I totally disagree on the "thoughts and feelings" view. Movies stir up all sorts of emotions in me, and I'm a cold fish! Also, Ron Howard is smart enough to respect the general public and not underestimate their intelligence. He may dumb it down, but not by much.
 ragdoll_bc
Msg: 14
DaVinci Code film
Posted: 5/8/2006 9:46:49 PM
I saw a piece on CNN with a spokeswoman from the Catholic League who wanted Ron Howard to put a disclaimer at the start of the movie saying that this was fiction or something to that effect. He declined.

It will be interesting. Another Passion of Christ tempest in a teapot.

I'm reading another book along the same lines called Map of Bones. Seems like there are a lot of Vatican type novels out these days.

Regards,
Ragz
 rain_city
Msg: 15
DaVinci Code film
Posted: 5/8/2006 10:33:11 PM
Don't want to give anything away. But the gist of the story is bound to raise the ire of those that believe Jesus was the immortal son of God. I, personally, think it would be so cool to find a living heir of Jesus... what history!

I find the concept of Dan Brown's book intriguing. If I could prove my lineage to (the mortal) Jesus... could I lay claim to the Vatican's treasures/ world treasures? With a high-powered lawyer?

Bought the paperback at London Drugs for $6.50. I hadn't read a novel in years. Definately a good book to reaquaint myself with late-night reading. A proverbial "page-turner".
 diverjohn
Msg: 16
DaVinci Code film
Posted: 5/9/2006 6:21:04 AM
A couple of thoughts:
1) The film industry profits from controversy. Witness Bowling for Columbine and Natural Born Killers.
2) The Vatican will not collapse due to a fictional film. Oliver Stone's JFK was a great work based on the formula "facts + speculation = good fiction". The White House is still in existence.
3) The Last Temptation of Christ portrayed a crucified Jesus making a deal with the Devil to escape his pain and live happily with Mary Magdalen as long as he stayed out of public view. This conflicts with written testimony, yet I enjoyed the movie because it was a good "what-if?" story.
4) When scientists examined the Shroud of Turin and subjected a piece of the cloth to a dating process to determine its age and possible origin, the Vatican issued a statement saying the results would have no effect on the church, as the Shroud is not the basis of faith.
5) In the 1950s, Immanuel Velikovski wrote "Worlds in Collision", a book that caused the un-educated public to believe history, physics, and geology were all wrong. Guess what? The skies are not in chaos.
Overall, I think Ron Howard's foray into controversial topics is an effort to raise his stature into highly-paid directors. I'm looking forward to seeing it and discussing how the movie altered the original story for entertainment purposes.
See you in aisle 42.
 Crazy_Blonde
Msg: 17
DaVinci Code film
Posted: 5/9/2006 6:28:07 AM
Morning everyone, this is in response to Warrior 612's msg...

If someone made something about the prophet Muhammed, everyone would be up in arms about it. But since it questions the status of Christianity, and Jesus Himself, it's perfectly okay.
_____________________________________________________________________________________

I respect your beleifs, and for you standing up for what you beleive, not many do have the courage of thier convictions, kudo on you!! As for the Prophet Mohammed (PBUH), not everyone was up in arms, I think only the Muslims were. However, nothing is stopping the Christians from standing up and doing exactly what the Mulsim people did, when Prophet Mohammed (pbuh) was depicted in the wrong light.

No , it is not okay either from a religious standpoint to depict the prophet Jesus (PBUH), in this light either, so gather up people who have the same beleifs as you, and dare to be counted.
 MacKenzie5507
Msg: 18
DaVinci Code film
Posted: 5/9/2006 12:21:55 PM
I am on page 95 of the book, was advised I should have read "angels and demons" first but too late now. Looking forward to seeing the movie , would be nice to go with a group then coffee after to discuss it. I am sure there will be a great variety of opinions on the subject.
 Foxxphyre
Msg: 19
DaVinci Code film
Posted: 5/9/2006 1:09:01 PM
Well, since it IS a work of fiction, people can think what they want about it. When people start believing it is a historical film is where I have a problem.

Foxx
 gotu
Msg: 20
view profile
History
DaVinci Code film
Posted: 5/9/2006 1:11:37 PM
angels and demons is a far superior book than the Davinci Code which is severly dumbed down from some of Dan Browns other work. Likely why it is so popular.

The book was fine I imagine the movie will be interesting but I am nt too excited about it.
 Hobbes-27
Msg: 21
DaVinci Code film
Posted: 5/9/2006 1:38:24 PM
i agree on angels and demons thing, illuminati!

but digital fortress was good for those math inclined and deception point for conspiracy theory fans
 gotu
Msg: 22
view profile
History
DaVinci Code film
Posted: 5/9/2006 3:13:44 PM
omg - hobbes - did we just agree on something :P
 Hobbes-27
Msg: 23
DaVinci Code film
Posted: 5/9/2006 3:16:54 PM
like monkeys on keyboards its bound to happen on occasion.

OT:I am lookign forward to seeing this as it is written to make the transition easily
 Vancouverette
Msg: 24
DaVinci Code film
Posted: 5/9/2006 6:22:50 PM

Be sure to read "ANGELS & DEMONS" too!
.. I'm not sure which book to buy first .. anyone?
 Doc Sage
Msg: 25
DaVinci Code film
Posted: 5/9/2006 7:16:52 PM
__Read both in reverse order and liked them both. You will find a few references to a pass love relation in Da Vinci Code but this is very minor and will not ruin the either stories at all.

Doc
Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > DaVinci Code film