Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Sports  > best and worst sports movies.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 mysterious5
Msg: 1
best and worst sports movies.Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
The best sports movie in my opinion was Slap shot, always a good choice when you need a laugh and it was almost believable.

the worst sports movie ever made was Days of Thunder with Tom Cruise, still to this day I can't figure out how those drivers got so filthy racing on pavement, and the scenes would jump from one race track to another one while supposedly still in the same race. That movie was a joke and did more to hurt racing than it did to promote it.
 ManOwaR
Msg: 2
best and worst sports movies.
Posted: 5/8/2006 7:22:00 PM
Best Sports Movies:

1) Slapshot
2) Longest Yard (Old - Not Lame Remake)
3) Caddyshack
4) Major League

Worst:

1) Any Car Racing Movie
2) Any Horse Racing Movie
3) Any Baseball Movie [Excluding Major League]
 c note
Msg: 3
Posted: 5/8/2006 8:11:16 PM

3) Any Baseball Movie [Excluding Major League]

I'll see your Major League and raise you a Bull Durham.
 Chiefs76
Msg: 4
Posted: 5/8/2006 8:38:54 PM
probably the most classic movie has to be the mighty duck movies lol. they were so bad but so funny. i can watch them over and over. I like how it D2..canada wasnt even in the hockey tourny and Iceland was the best lol go go magic Gunner stall!
 Macktruck42
Msg: 5
Posted: 5/8/2006 9:00:18 PM
Ya and when Emillo flashbacks notice the goalie he shoots on looks like its a clown on skates?

Worst id say was Friday Night Lights due to the fact the dad wanted to wtach his son fuyck his gf kinda creepy

Best was any given sunday and when the guy has his eye deatached from his socket
 darkhorse723
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 5/8/2006 10:03:32 PM
The worst "sports" movie of all time is unquestionably the atrocity known as Driven.
 ][KAOS][
Msg: 7
Posted: 5/9/2006 12:12:38 AM
Best
Coach Carter / Any Given Sunday / Rudy

Can't think of any worst right now.
 looking63
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 5/9/2006 7:32:08 AM
Best
1. Field of Dreams
2. Bull Durham

Worst
1. Days of Thunder
2. Rudy
 anticon
Msg: 9
Posted: 5/9/2006 8:20:50 AM
Best Sports Movies:

1) "Ali" with Will Smith. I challenge anyone to show me a movie with more realistic sports action choreography by actors. The dramatic acting was great, too... and with a personality like Ali, I feel it was out of reach for anyone BUT Will Smith.
2) "Ring of Fire": A documentary biograph of boxer Emile Griffith, a champion in 3 weight divisions who once killed a man in the ring in a world championship fight and went onto boxing greatness, was later almost killed himself in a street fight and meets the son and wife of the man he killed in the ring. Some classic film footage of great fights and fighters... as well as poignant personal life stories of people in boxing.
3) The Bad News Bears... which is as much about the major leagues (the fraud and farce of the "winningest team in sports" as it is about Little League (the Yankees). It's a great story about people, sports and society in the US.
4) The yet to be made movie about "The Pride and Poise Boys": the 70s Oakland Raiders... a legendary team during football's golden age with Ken (the Snake) Stabler, John (Tooz) Matuszak, Jack (the Assassin) Tatum, George (Clothesline) Atkinson, Gene Upshaw, Art Shell, Ted (the Stork) Hendricks, John Madden and Al Davis.
This has tremendous potential to be the greatest sports movie ever made because of the personalities involved as well as an historic setting... the great rivalries between some of the greatest teams and players in football history... Bradshaw, Lambert, Staubach, Morton, Haden, Kelcher, Greene, Steelers, Raiders, Chargers, Broncos, Cowboys, Rams, Colts, Bears, etc... of the 70s.

Worst:
1) any Rocky movie... with it's "Superman" action sequences where fighters would have died if they'd been hit 1/10 as much as they are in this film...
One redeeming quality.... The guy who played Apollo Creed: Carl Weathers, who was a reserve linebacker for the Raiders on those legendary teams above...
Nothing against Sylvester Stallone, who is a good actor. Rocky was a good commercial idea and it really took off, but let's face it, the series is crap.. laughable...
2) Any of the football movies made before about 2 years ago... cut and jump action which sometimes has the players running the wrong way, throwing with one hand in one shot and then the other in the next and generally pretty stupid stuff....
3) Babe Ruth story with William Bendix. *ugh* the Babe was certainly an overweight athlete... maybe heavier than Charles Barkley... but he COULD run... he was a dam good right fielder and hit alot of triples. He wasn't like the fat kid in "Bad News Bears"...
 wantsumfun7
Msg: 10
Posted: 5/9/2006 9:30:05 AM
BEST

Slapshot, Major League 1 & 2, Caddyshack, Blue Chips, Sandlot

WORST

Slaphot 2 (A Baldwin...gimme a break!!), Major League 3, Friday Night Lights
 c note
Msg: 11
Posted: 5/9/2006 1:02:46 PM
The best...Pride of the Yankees starring Gary Cooper.
 all about laughs
Msg: 12
Posted: 5/9/2006 7:23:30 PM
Best:

Phar Lap
The Best Game Ever Invented

Worst:

Driven, my eyes bleed during that movie
 andysweden
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 5/9/2006 7:43:09 PM
The Mean Machine, with Vinny Jones.
 Brian2MN
Msg: 14
Posted: 5/9/2006 7:54:32 PM
The best to me was definitely Miracle!! Being a Minnesotan, you've gotta love that movie. With all the Canadians in this thread here, there should be some more love for that movie.

Looking back, yeah, I can see that the Rocky movies weren't good.....but I loved those movies so much at the time. I was born in 75, so during most of those movies I was less than 10 years old, early teens, etc. I can't totally disrepect Rocky, because I have fond memories of watching those movies with my friends while growing up.
 Ezzee
Msg: 15
Posted: 5/9/2006 8:42:18 PM
Favorite sports movies are definately Hoosiers, Little Big League, and The Replacements.

I don't know if I have any worst, although I definitely am not a fan of the Rocky ones.
 crazed_monk
Msg: 16
Posted: 5/10/2006 8:22:37 PM
best: rudy

worst: driven
 He likes it! Hey Mikey!
Msg: 17
Posted: 5/13/2006 12:00:57 PM
Best=Hoosiers

Worst-Will have to give this some thought
 ian1980au
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 5/14/2006 5:24:22 AM
I've seen quite a few sports movies in my time. But one that stood out for me as it was different from others was one called "Once Upon A Time In India". It's one of those Bollywood movies. Basically British colonials challenged the local villagers to a cricket match. Basically if the Colonialsist won they had the right to tax them at 3 times the rate they were. To cut a long story short the natives won off the last ball of the match.
 boxman
Msg: 19
Posted: 5/14/2006 7:03:02 AM
Auto racing and Nascar just don't translate well to the big screen. Probably the best, however was "Thunder in Carolina" filmed back in the 50's and based loosely on the history of Darlington. By the time of "Days of Blunder" nothing much had improved. They used a real car at a few tracks, but that had already been done in the 60's with"Red Line 7000".That stupid line "Rubbin is Racing" has been so overused by just about everyone, and it is basically meaningless. The fan of that movie is a mirror image of today's Nascar fan. Rednecks feeding on the mental simplicity of other rednecks, and not a real bootlegger in the bunch. I concur with the originator of this thread about "Slapshot", a real laugher.
 canEHdianMAN
Msg: 20
Posted: 5/14/2006 8:03:51 AM
Best: Caddy Shack, Slapsot, Rudy

Worst: Faceoff (70's)
 phillyboy30
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 5/15/2006 1:29:08 AM
Caddyshack is not a sports movie but it is a great movie!!

Best

1] Hoosiers
2] Rudy
3] Rocky II
4] Miracle
5] I can't think of the name but the one where Tom Hanks said "There's no cryin in Baseball!!" Girls baseball movie
6] mAJOR Leagues
7]fIELD OF DREAMS
8] BULL DURHAM

Worst
1]Young Blood 80;s Hockey Movie with Rob Lowe
2] Blue Chips
3] The Replacements
 Chiefs76
Msg: 22
Posted: 5/15/2006 8:49:19 AM
^^^

I can't think of the name but the one where Tom Hanks said "There's no cryin in Baseball!!" Girls baseball movie

i think it was called A league of our Own
 New_Fishy
Msg: 23
Posted: 5/15/2006 10:26:34 AM
I think most guys on here will agree that "Slap Shot" starring Paul Newman, is a highly acclaimed film. It really set the bar for many 'sport team' like films.

Any film that is essentially predictable (i.e. the last place team turning their misfortunes around to make a comeback and win the championship) would have to be categorized in the worse category. Or if your name is Tom Cruise or the acting and characters are just flat then those films definitely would get a thumbs down.

There are some films that were really fun to watch like the original Rocky. It was at the time, a fresh idea that had not been over done like many hollywood epics are. I think this one even was recognized by the screen writers association as a good film.

On the worst side, what comes to mind would be sequels to some of the films like major league or even the mighty ducks.

I have yet to see The Rocket. It may just be another great sports film.

Probably the most underrated film of all sports related films would be 'Cinderella Man.' Unfortunately it's main title must have contributed to its unpopularity.

Another favourite of mine would have to be Million Dollar Baby.

So my list of good titles would include in no order:
1) Million Dollar Baby
2) Cinderella Man
3) Slap Shot
4) Rocky
5) Major League
 oaks316
Msg: 24
Posted: 5/15/2006 6:44:11 PM
thank you pride of the yankees what a great movie and how can any of you not say eight men out another great baseball movie what about paul newmans the natural love nascar so kind of have to say days of thunder but tommy boy sucks damn stroker ace is as good, burt reynolds movie. rudy for sure almost cry at the end when they carried him off the field and i hate notre dame worst figure skatin movies soccer movies
 Chiefs76
Msg: 25
Posted: 5/15/2006 9:36:21 PM
apparently no ones a mighty ducks man fan here lol i cant believe no one likes those movies. so many funny quotes. "2 minutes for Roping?" good work captain Duck
Show ALL Forums  > Sports  > best and worst sports movies.