Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > Residential School Survivor? Was GENOCIDE Preformed?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Taken1
Msg: 1
Residential School Survivor? Was GENOCIDE Preformed?Page 1 of 1    
Hello girls and boys….. In Canada…..I want to know your views in your province on this…..

I feel that this a form of GENOCIDE Defined by international treaty standards and this agreement was VIOLATED CLEARLY when the convention was signed in Jan. 1951 Therefore CLEARLY Canada did continue through with GENOCIDE… and defined more clearly to you as “ETHNIC CLEANSING”… with the RESEDENTIAL SCHOOLS ACT…

What are your feelings on this? Is it or is it not?

FYI- Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide
http://www.ohchr.org/english/law/genocide.htm
 Draxx
Msg: 2
Residential School Survivor? Was GENOCIDE Preformed?
Posted: 5/9/2006 9:24:04 AM
Call me stupid and hit me with a dummy stick, but will answering this really help me meet ladies?.....this is still a dating site right?
 Taken1
Msg: 3
Posted: 5/9/2006 10:12:41 AM
It upsets me for I have had my ear bent on many occasions about abuse, and how "THE CHURCH" has done such wonderful things from many Bible thumpers..... Then you look back in time and............... well... you know the stories.....

I think that there should be responsibility from the ROMAN CATHOLIC CHRUCH to pay for their contribution towards ethnic cleansing. If your going to help a culture out....do not instill only your value system (as did the Catholic Church)... but rather keep an open mind and help teach the existing culture....again this was also modified by the UNITED NATIONS.....

Now I will copy a post from a POF member coorslightguy to this thread here in MB….

Cultural genocide is a term used to describe the deliberate destruction of the cultural heritage of a people or nation for political or military reasons.

The Canadian residential school system consisted of a number of schools for Aboriginal children, operated during the 20th century by churches of various denominations, and funded under the Indian Act by Indian and Northern Affairs Canada, a branch of the federal government. The schools' purpose was "to take the Indian out of the Queen's Red Children" according to the Gradual Civilization Act which implemented the system.

Students were required to stay in residences on school premises, which were often walled or fortified in some manner, and were often forcibly removed from their homes, parents, and communities. Most students had no contact with their families for up to 10 months at a time due to the distance between their home communities and schools. Often, they did not have contact with their families for years at a time. The locations of the schools were planned deliberately to ensure a "proper distance" from the reserves. They were prohibited from speaking Aboriginal languages, even amongst themselves and outside the classroom, so that English or French would be successfully learned and their own languages forgotten. Students were subject to often unreasonably severe corporal punishment for speaking Aboriginal languages or practising non-Christian faiths. It is because of this that the residential school system (and indeed the entire Gradual Civilization Act) have been called blatantly racist by native rights groups and have been severely criticized as culturally insensitive or even inhumane. It has also been proven to have been a government and church sponsored attempt to assimilate the Aboriginals into the European-Canadian culture, and it was at least partially successful in many cases.

Until the late 1950s, residential schools were severely underfunded, and relied on the forced labour of their students to maintain their facilities. The work was arduous, and severely compromised the academic and social development of the students.

In the 1990s, it was revealed that many students at residential schools were subjected to severe physical, psychological, and sexual abuse by teachers and school officials. Several prominent court cases led to large monetary payments from the federal government and churches to former students of residential schools.

So to answer your question Shally..... "Was Genocide Preformed?" ......it was definately attempted by the Canadian Government, and churches....... and to a certain degree it was successful......

And here's a really scarey fact.........all this happened along time ago in our past right?

Wrong.........

The last residential school closed in 1996!
 Taken1
Msg: 4
Posted: 5/9/2006 10:35:20 AM
FYI- Residential schools are still up and running in the world I believe... so it is an argument that is still on-going.... as well...as a Canadian to another Canadain.... the church should be held accountable for wrong doings, not only does a country have to take responsability but the church should as well.
 spent
Msg: 5
Posted: 5/9/2006 1:06:44 PM
As a white, I went to residential school during day for couple years. Some of the indians lived at home after school too. We fed and educated them for free. I think it is very generous to educate your potential enemy. I really dont think educating people can be called genocide.
 spent
Msg: 6
Posted: 5/9/2006 1:56:27 PM
Dont be ashamed to be white; be ashamed to be human. The various indian tribes were constantly committing real genocide against each other long before they were conquered by the british.
 gurliegurl2
Msg: 7
Posted: 5/25/2006 8:49:09 PM
Canadian history has been based on a bunch of paternalistic Eurocentric views. This country was viewed as Terra nuellis - unoccupied by "CIVILIZED" beings. This was so that the colonizers could justify their actions when they came to occupy this country. Genocide - I think so. The government intentionally and willingly gave smallpox infested blankets to natives to wipe them out. Also - many were forced to stay on their reservations and denied rations of food to starve them so that the land they occupy could revert back to the Canadian Government. Our History books are erroneous and incomplete.
 gurliegurl2
Msg: 8
Posted: 5/25/2006 9:00:53 PM
The Canadian Indian Residential schools forced native children to live in absolutly appalling conditions. The lovely pictures you see in the history books were of these children in the only good clothing they had (Sunday clothes). There was really very little formal education. Most of these kids lived off of cabbage while the nuns and priests ate the only meat available right in front of them. Many children were beaten for speaking their native tongue and beaten for their belief systems (foreign to the priests and nuns). Many children died while trying to run away to their families to get away from the abuse they faced in the schools. Very few were nurtured or shown how to care for one another and once they were 16 they were turned loose with no skills for raising a family and the rest of the country would not give them work because they viewed them as less than the "whites". The Indian act and the Canadian Government still claims who is and is not an Indian. Most natives were not even allowed to leave their reservations without special passes or permission from the indian agent. If any tried to defend their families or beliefs they were killed. My ancestors were massacred at Wounded Knee. Children and Elders. Don't tell me that it didn't happen in Canada too. It did. There are pits full of bodies of native people who were slaughtered. Just because it is happening in other parts of the world does not mean it didn't happen here. So before you make statements please educate yourselves.
 GeilerAffe
Msg: 9
Posted: 5/26/2006 7:16:31 AM
OK so let's give away the farm now. Hey why stop there, we should look back even further... maybe they can bilk some money off the Vikings for when they first landed in North America. hmmm maybe Julias Czesar wronged them in some way. Come on people, the past is the past, yes some of the things done were horrific but are most of these people not dead or being punished by the courts in some way. By that I mean the individuals who actually performed the acts.
Hey my parents were treated poorly by the Americans and Russians during the war, maybe I can get some money out of it.
Give me a break people!!!!!!!!!!!!! Time to stop appologising for the acts of others and get on with making the world a better place.
Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > Residential School Survivor? Was GENOCIDE Preformed?