Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Is It OK to Date your Best Friend's X?????      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 snowsoup
Msg: 1
Is It OK to Date your Best Friend's X?????Page 1 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
I saw this question posed on TV tonight with all that stuff on Heather and Charlie Sheen's x wife? What do you think about it? My best friend dated my x (only he was not my x yet, but that is another story). Needless to say, she ain't my best friend no more. LOL.....
 Warrior612
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Is It OK to Date your Best Friend's X?????
Posted: 5/10/2006 11:21:20 PM
I stay away from friend's ex's/sisters/moms/whatever.

Causes far too many problems.
 MHafermann
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 5/10/2006 11:21:43 PM
No it's not ok, not in my opinion anyway.
 ][KAOS][
Msg: 4
Posted: 5/10/2006 11:23:57 PM
Sure, it's OK if you are a self-absorbed, disloyal, gutless loser. Otherwise, not so much.
 wellhowdyhi
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 5/10/2006 11:40:39 PM
Sounds like a good challenge. The trick is to keep everybody happy at the same time.
 nosoup4u
Msg: 6
Posted: 5/10/2006 11:46:11 PM
I ended up marrying my best friend's ex. They were, of course, done with their relationship when her and I started to date, but, nonetheless it did complicate my friendship with him. Long story short, I have two wonderful daughters out of the failed marriage, her and I get along okay and he is still one of my best friends. I'm not sure if that answers the OP's question or not.
 ][KAOS][
Msg: 7
Posted: 5/10/2006 11:48:51 PM
WOW, soup, your best friend is an amazing person then. Shocking. Lucky you. Hope that really tells you something about him.
 Escapologist
Msg: 8
Posted: 5/11/2006 12:01:01 AM
I think it's fine - it's usually a matter of time - my best friend started seeing my ex, although the always liked each other before - she just liked me more. When we split they started seeign each other very soon - he may not be my best friend any more but we are still very close - she is a great girl and they have been together a while now. The issue Is when they see each other behind you back or when the break up was a littel bit bitter/messy.

What time limit do you put on these things? I live in a small place and generally you couldn't see anyone that wasn't an ex of someone you knew LOL.

A girl came up to me in a club adn we were dancing - her friend comes over (a close friend of my ex) and say to me "you can't do this" meaing I couldn't do anythign with "her friend" because "she" was a friend of my ex - so now I understand the rules - you can't even date your ex's friends friends LOL.
 pickem
Msg: 9
Posted: 5/11/2006 12:01:58 AM
in most cases i would say no but for instance in a small town a lot of times if you are going to date then you are probably going to date an ex of someone you know but a "best friend" would still be a no... although if your best friends ex had been in a couple relationships since your best friend it may make a difference but only if you ask best friend BEFORE making any decision and being absolutely sure that best friend is ok with it... i think in most other cases you better be prepared to not have that best friend anymore... i sure wouldn't want anyone as a best friend who thought it would be ok to date my ex's
 nosoup4u
Msg: 10
Posted: 5/11/2006 12:02:03 AM

WOW, soup, your best friend is an amazing person then. Shocking. Lucky you. Hope that really tells you something about him.

And to top it all off he was my best man at the wedding too. You are right Chaos, he is a very special friend and there is no way I would have been with his ex if they hadnt brought upon closure to their affair. It wasnt a LTR and he wasnt really ready to settle down at the time anyway. Still, I wouldnt recommend doing this and your right again about me being lucky. Lucky to have a friend for life such as him.
 FantasyFlavor
Msg: 11
Posted: 5/11/2006 12:25:07 AM
^^^ Lucky to still have that friend...True ones are hard to find...

OP-...nope!...shouldn't...wouldn't...couldn't...
 hapeenurse
Msg: 12
Posted: 5/11/2006 12:35:37 AM
I couldn'd do that to a friend.
yes attraction happens but to act on it would be a slap in your best friends face.
 Flirt859
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 5/11/2006 12:47:17 AM
I must be the odd person here.. if he is my EX.. then my friends are welcome to him. I have even set my friends up with my exes if they seemed like they would be a good match. What's the big deal?? I wouldn't date my best friend's ex if I thought she was still hung up on him, but otherwise sure.. why not??
 carrie bradshaw
Msg: 14
Posted: 5/11/2006 12:54:57 AM
I could not do that to any of my friends. This even goes for the friends that I am not as close to. To me, it is just wrong. There are plenty of men out there, I do not need to date my friends ex's. Even if I heard he was good in bed, I still could not do it.
~Carrie B.
 snowsoup
Msg: 15
Posted: 5/11/2006 7:10:31 PM
I would not do it as there are plenty others out there and why hurt your friend as there may be some undisclosed emotions still lingering. Friendships are worth more the x's to me.
 ctrydancer
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 5/11/2006 7:24:48 PM
snow...my husband started dating his best friend's girlfriend and look where he's ending up...divorced !
 Polly_G
Msg: 17
Posted: 5/11/2006 7:29:01 PM
I've had this happen to me twice. I broke up with him and was feeling extremely guilty so made out like I was ok with it but I wasn't. When a friend starts dating my ex the friendship is over along with any chance of me being friends with my ex again.

Its just too uncomfortable.
 twilight-twin
Msg: 18
Posted: 5/11/2006 7:55:12 PM
I wish some of my girlfriends would be interested in my ex. He's a great guy. . . for somebody else. I just wish he would date so I can quit feeling like I ruined him. Seriously, I'm kidding. It's totally wrong. An unwritten rule with good reason. Not as bad as my best friend marrying my Father though. Now that was really messed up.
 unknown biker
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 5/11/2006 7:58:55 PM
never..maybe if he dies...not usually..unless hes not home..not very often
 raspberry83
Msg: 20
Posted: 5/11/2006 8:07:59 PM
I think it depends on the people involved. I, personally wouldn't date my best friends ex but all the same I wouldn't mind my best friend dating my ex, I am totally over him though, we're good friends..it probably depends on how you broke up aswell. Our break up was mutual, we both felt we were better as friends.
 sayonara7
Msg: 21
Posted: 5/11/2006 8:11:13 PM
What's the problem?????I don't see the need for this question.But on second thoughts, I'd say no.It would be morally wrong to date someone's ex or not if your friend and he still had a thing for each other.Jeez.....there are plenty of fishes in the sea.
 balistic82
Msg: 22
Posted: 5/11/2006 8:13:07 PM
Too many complications (best friend's ex)
 firecracker 007
Msg: 23
Posted: 5/11/2006 8:15:37 PM
No I would say NO!!
 saramaria124
Msg: 24
Posted: 5/12/2006 1:17:59 PM
This has happened to me twice:

Met a guy, had a lot of fun with him, started dating and then my best friend at the time had sex with him, and he ended up dating her- he's now in a relationship where she controls everything, they cheat right and left, and are constantly bickering.

This is a guy I had been friends with for years- he kissed me, and continued kissing me after we started dating- 2 weeks into it, he started sleeping with my best female friend after the above best friend. They are now having a baby and naming the baby after me. Slap in the face or compliment? I dunno...

Would I do something like this to someone? Can't say that I would. I know all too well how it feels.

~ Sara Maria ~
 Angel in Public
Msg: 25
Posted: 5/12/2006 1:48:11 PM

My best friend dated my x (only he was not my x yet, but that is another story). Needless to say, she ain't my best friend no more. LOL.....

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. My ex-best-friend is now married to my ex-husband. Needless to say, they're both "ex"'s for the same reason.

To this day, I can talk civilly with my ex-husband, but will not speak to her at all. She hurt me in ways no man ever could.

I vote 'NO' to dating a friend's ex.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Is It OK to Date your Best Friend's X?????