Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Vinyl vs. CD      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 DJMac
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Vinyl vs. CD Page 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Which do yall prefer me I will take records over CD's any day of the week. I admit CD's have their qualities but I have been such a fan of records all my life and love to collect them(I have over 1,100 records) that they rank better than CD's

discuss
 2findU
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Vinyl vs. CD
Posted: 5/13/2006 2:51:40 PM
I prefer CD's but I do have some vinyl. I had more vinyl but the mover lost about 75% of my collection. It wasn't anywher near as big as yours, but they were all the albums I had bought until I started buying (and now burning) CD's.
 DJMac
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Vinyl vs. CD
Posted: 5/15/2006 4:51:30 PM
in some cases records are actually cheaper than CD's. Some reissue labels like Sundazed for instance do an awesome job and they sound just as good as the originals. Also there is a lot of new stuff that comes out on records too, most likely one should look online or go to an independent record store where you can get that stuff.
 DJMac
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Vinyl vs. CD
Posted: 5/21/2006 1:11:55 PM
the surface noise and pops in stuff on a record are a part of the beauty of vinyl. One thing I noticed is there are a lot of people not aware that records are still being made, in fact lots of new stuff comes out on vinyl as well as great reissues from the past. Just because you cant buy a record from the mall or Best Buy dosent mean they dont make them anymore. I strongly reccomend shopping for music a local independent record store, not only will you find great vinyl but people who work there have a tendency to have great knowlegde of music
 lovableladywanted
Msg: 5
Vinyl vs. CD
Posted: 5/21/2006 4:36:52 PM
Djmac = I have had probably close to 2ooo records but get rid of them slowly by donating to charities as i get cds of lps i had . i only have about 200 records now but i still have john lennon and yoko nude one and i have stones lp some girls original inner sleeve. cds play better and stay in shape better and take up less room
 DJMac
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Vinyl vs. CD
Posted: 5/22/2006 9:42:04 AM
ahem ahem who pays for music???

I do and not ashamed to admit that. I know most people download music but I dont. My reason for not downloading music is that its too easy. I have stuff in my collection that I have been searching for for years and the thrill of finally getting it made the search worth while. Me personally I have prided myself on building an awesome record collection so I dont think I would sell anything, although I do admit I have a few things that I dont like anymore but I dont think I would part with them just the same. You all would be surprised just how much people like records still. After all there are record shows constantly and there are loads of older stuff that has yet to be reissued. Most of my friends are record fanatics(some even worked at record stores), and I have a few friends whose record collections is over 3,000.
 lovableladywanted
Msg: 7
Vinyl vs. CD
Posted: 5/22/2006 2:42:05 PM
I love cds because I like actually having the PRODUCT per se , not something intangible like an mp3. That doesn't do it for me and I think its bogus
 dr_layne
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Vinyl vs. CD
Posted: 5/25/2006 7:04:28 PM
Vinyl does indeed sound terrific if you use a decent playback system. A 45 played on a kid's record player is not going to even come close to providing the same fidelity as a cd played even on a a cheap portable. I have both vinyl and cd (even 8tracks and reel to reels too) in my collection. Cd wins out for portability, and of course easier to make custom mixes and import stuff in to ipod's etc. But for serious listening, I'll take a well mastered vinyl over a cd.
 DJMac
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Vinyl vs. CD
Posted: 5/26/2006 10:14:44 AM
I dont care what anybody says records kick ass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 DJMac
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Vinyl vs. CD
Posted: 5/27/2006 9:32:40 AM
frame records!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

to me records are meant to be played and listened to. No way would I frame a record. If I want to put something in a frame I will buy a painting
 DJMac
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Vinyl vs. CD
Posted: 5/27/2006 11:36:09 AM
I have nothing against that but I would never frame my records. If it gets to a point where a copy wears out or something happens to it I will just locate another copy. To me thats part of the fun of record collecting
 Mr Marcus
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Vinyl vs. CD
Posted: 6/7/2006 8:40:03 PM
CDs only because of the convenience. If the only place I listen to music is at home, then vinyl... but my old turntable doesn't work anymore :(

Also, vinyl lasts forever if you take care of it. I've read that CDs will lose its quality after a number of years, and even faster if its a burnt CD. anyone have info on this? I have so much CDs, it will really suck if I lose them all due to time.
 Strange Days
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Vinyl vs. CD
Posted: 6/25/2007 9:38:06 AM
Another point in the cd vs. lp debate:
Lp's are about 42-45 min. in length, just the right amount of time for listening. Cd's are TOO LONG! Think how amazing your favorite cd's would be with only the best 8 or 10 songs. Not 17 songs. Cut the filler. Just more proof that in years past the music was important a coherent piece. Artists thought about play order and flow. Not how many potential singles they could cram into one package.
To me, everytime I hear; "Time", or "Money" on rock radio it sounds funny on it's own. Why? Because "Dark Side of the Moon" Is a timeless, seamless, piece of art; not a greatest hits disc.

(END OF RANT)

((P.S., about 1 500 lp's here))
 DJMac
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Vinyl vs. CD
Posted: 7/5/2007 7:38:01 AM
ahem ahem

I listen to music all the time. I'd rather do that than watch TV
 DJMac
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Vinyl vs. CD
Posted: 7/9/2007 2:32:52 PM
The debut Jefferson Airplane record you speak of is called Takes Off, and its been released on CD, in fact the CD has bonus tracks.
 jettlightning
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Vinyl vs. CD
Posted: 8/12/2007 12:51:50 AM
I have that (Bowie) Mannish Boy material on CD. so never doubt. I have thousands of albums and thousands of cds. I'll never get rid of my albums but I've found much material on CD as well, including many things I thought would never see the light of day on CD. There is room for both in my life.
 Strmn7
Msg: 17
Vinyl vs. CD
Posted: 8/13/2007 11:21:50 PM
a few yrs back saw an old man walking down Montana Ave....asked what he was caring and he said he was looking to make some $$$ selling his Album colection

i must say anyone who likes Vinyl would of payed to see this fellow

i bought about 7 Brand New Albums, Cream, Doors first, Hendrix double English
Electric Lady Land, an Amazing Moody Blues Double and many more for just a few $$$ each

each one was just like NEW no plastic over albums but upon opening Never Been Played Looking...........what a day and that was about 25 yrs ago
 rhodes73
Msg: 18
Vinyl vs. CD
Posted: 6/17/2008 2:11:01 PM
lps, 45s, 78s.....i LOVE vinyl!!! it sounds better and is much more fun to collect. alot of the time it is much more easy on the wallet as well. for a music lover like me it is crucial for only 25-30% of all recorded music is digitalized. cds are great to, especialy for the hard to find stuff that would cost a small fortune if you did come acrost it. my collection is past the 3000 mark and i would say 75% is vinyl. all in all i just love music.
 CrystalPyramid
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Vinyl vs. CD
Posted: 6/22/2008 2:07:17 AM
Of course vinyl is far better.
Richer, deeper sounds. Plus, it's hypnotic watching it slowly turn...
But, CDs are everywhere. You can't get new music on vinyl with any real ease and when you do, it's twice the cost. Added to how easily vinyl is destroyed, scratched, even spilling a drink on a piece of vinyl can ruin it forever.
CDs are just easier. I generally buy a CD of music that i want. I buy vinyl that i need!
i.e. Portishead 'Third', Radiohead 'In Rainbows etc etc
 kjw828
Msg: 20
Vinyl vs. CD
Posted: 7/4/2008 6:23:04 PM
Im a dj and perfer wax but dont like lugging my records out so much anymore, so ive been converting my records to digital files and using my laptop.
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Vinyl vs. CD