Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > I know I will get blasted for this but...      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 RDtoo
Msg: 1
view profile
History
I know I will get blasted for this but...Page 1 of 14    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14)
I was reading the plastic men/women thread and it occurred to me how much I miss women wearing dresses, stockings, etc. To me that was the real feminine mystique. It also makes me think that our culture was more sexual 40 years ago when women wore these things than it is now. Ok, fire away at me....
 tinkerbellcgy
Msg: 2
view profile
History
I know I will get blasted for this but...
Posted: 5/13/2006 4:19:20 PM
I still wear dresses and hose a lot of the time to work. That's just me - an old fashioned gal.

Tink
 Celticmist
Msg: 3
Posted: 5/13/2006 4:24:03 PM
I am with ragdoll on this one - I dress the way I do for my job and because it is simply more comfortable. Crawling under desks to hook up the pc's at work would be a little awkward to say the least. I also think men who find women who wear slacks, instead of dresses, to be sexually intimidating must be easily intimidated.

I think we should let the next man who complains about women who don't wear dresses - don a bra, girdle, dress, panty hose, and high heels for a week and then come back to us with his findings regarding suitability and comfort of this attire.

RD - do you want to volunteer?
 Lynlin1957
Msg: 4
Posted: 5/13/2006 4:40:35 PM

I think we should let the next man who complains about women who don't wear dresses - don a bra, girdle, dress, panty hose, and high heels for a week and then come back to us with his findings regarding suitability and comfort of this attire.

Too funny Whispers

I wear dresses, hose and heels when appropriate. Work, however, requires slacks and very comfortable shoes. I have never, and neither has my Mom, worn a dress, heels and stockings (a la My Little Margie and Father Knows Best) while doing housework. Nor did I "dress up" to take my girls to ball practice, the park or to other places of that nature. Women did dress and act differently 40 years ago, but the norms of society were so very different. Women knew their place, and if they didn't some man would be sure to put them back where they "belonged." Personally, all thoughts of dress aside, I don't really want to return to the "good old days." At least not some aspects of 'em.
 Ron9
Msg: 5
Posted: 5/13/2006 5:22:59 PM
jeans
cut off jeans
jean skirts (not too long)
little sun dresses
little black dresses
t-shirts
my shirts

Ok - I am done - carry on
 moraima
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 5/13/2006 8:16:41 PM
Dressing for work and dressing for a romantic evening require completely different garments.

What a shame that many seem to think that a women's Victoria Secret undies should end up on the floor. Leaving stocking etc. on.................hum! Some of you know what I am talking about.
 RDtoo
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 5/13/2006 11:21:04 PM
I only meant to say that the plastic men/women thread got me to thinking about what I find attractive. Didn't mean to draw any connection between the threads.

Lipstick, I agree with you completely. Men in the 30s and 40s, well, those who had the cash, knew their fashion. I would love to dress in some of those classic styles. Couldn't agree more about the baseball caps. It is time to put them to rest. I was in a bar a few years back with some younger people from work. I was one of the only males in the place not wearing a goatee and a baseball cap. One of the females in the group said "That guy over there is really cute". I said "Which one? They all look alike". She thought that was hilarious but I was serious.

Whispers, I often wear a kilt. I like the draft.
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 8
Posted: 5/16/2006 12:15:14 AM
I kinda like wearing dresses and skirts. Especially the silky flirty type skirts. Feels good
against the skin. Its nice to get dressed up and a bonus if you have someone to dress
for.
 rocker48
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 5/16/2006 2:36:36 AM
I think Bull is right, and there are pluses to wearing a dress like RDToo and his kilt you can go commando and feel the breeze. "eye laddie"
 bluedew
Msg: 10
Posted: 5/17/2006 3:01:45 PM
I love wearing pretty dresses, but have you got any idea how hard it is to find pretty flirty clothes around here? I have to go to specialty shops just for cute sundresses that fit me nicely.
 prolibertate
Msg: 11
Posted: 5/26/2006 8:27:29 AM
No need to fire away RDtoo...I prefer to wear dresses, stockings, heels, etc....some days I prefer to wear very feminine ones, other days more tailored, sometimes vintage. It's whatever stikes my mood that day.
 Dandylover
Msg: 13
Posted: 10/16/2006 6:01:12 PM
My pet peeve is the droopy drawer syndrome and backwards hat fad... ENUF already! It's been 15 years! Time to MOVE ON.....
 BRASS
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 10/16/2006 7:33:10 PM
I whole heartedly agree with lipstick 1961. Most guys today dress like they are on their way to a worm wrestle. I usually wear a sport jacket or vest and a classy cowboy hat when I'm not working. The South American women appreciate my apperance. But they dress pretty clasy too. I believe our apperance says a lot about our society. And yes I normally remove my hat indoors. I'm all for clas.
 Montreal_Guy
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 10/19/2006 2:21:16 PM
Look at Kate Hepburn....

I always found her incredibly attractive, and she was seldom traditionally dressed or even doing anything in a conventional "female" way.

I like those things too, but it's more a question of the person and their style.
 bearwoman1959
Msg: 17
Posted: 10/20/2006 8:17:18 PM
I only dress up when someone's getting married, buried, or I have to go to court. The problem with panty hose is that you need a good butt scratch after wearing them.
 prof48
Msg: 18
Posted: 10/20/2006 8:25:46 PM

jeans and skirts look the same when they're on the floor

Without regard to the merits of either, perhaps you should have your vision checked. Back in the "good ol' days" there were times when the skirt never made it to the floor.
 paulgallager
Msg: 19
Posted: 10/21/2006 6:30:51 AM
Hey, I'm not into that........ yet anyhow....
 canyunflyer
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 11/15/2006 8:05:17 PM
lots of very good points and essays here. Everyone is right, as usual. I can relate to the nostalgia of feeling a longing for those earlier years. In my own life's memories about the only thing I can get a little nostalgic for would be the classic flowing hippie dress of the women (not the goofy atire of the men!) there was a simple elegant and colorful beauty in the sheer flowing skirt and various soft tops that the hippie girls wore.
From a time before my memory. Both, the 1920s and then the 1940s were about the most amazing dresses and outfits that the 20th century produced... as far as I am concerned. If I had to pick just one... it would be the 1940s! I used to look at the old black and white snapshots in our family collection of this absolutely stunning woman dressed in one of those two piece skirt suits of the 40s with the big amazing curled up (star trek looking) hairdo to match ... with her luscious lipstick covered lips. That couldn't be my poor old haggard mother?!!! I regret I never got to actually see her dressed up like that. She had 6 kids and lived in poverty... and it took its toll on her beauty.
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 21
Posted: 2/5/2009 8:04:19 PM
Funny! My fella believes he likes me in pants and sweaters (and he does), but I've also seen the way his eyes follow me when I'm in a dress (usually ankle length worn with sandals or uggs). Good thing I *like* dresses, and therefore own a lot of them, eh?

Nylons, on the other hand -- ack! Pure evil. And I date back to those with seams that had to be checked to make sure they were straight, and, yep: garter belts (no, not the fantasy ones -- the ones you HAD to have to keep your nylons up. Unless, of course you wore a girdle, in which case there were little hangy-downy rubber and metal thangs that left indentations in your skin for four hours after you'd taken them off)

And I don't wear FM shoes any more, either. I'm an old lady, and I don't *have* to. . . .

RDtoo
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 2/5/2009 8:07:25 PM
You know you have been on here too long when threads you started 3 years ago get dug up..lol.

Spicynicegirl, I was about to say "distance is no object", but then I saw you were in South Austrailia. Yeah, that would be quite a drive seeing that it is probably the exact opposite side of the earth from me. Oh well...
 Brownlady1953
Msg: 23
Posted: 2/8/2009 8:10:28 AM
No blast from me...I ENJOY dressing like a woman, and not a man! I might have to work like one to keep body and soul together, but I damn sure don't want to DRESS like one!
 Applette
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 2/8/2009 3:33:34 PM
I love wearing dresses and skirts .. and I actually feel even more feminine in them .. however I live in a climate that on most occasions in the winter demand slacks.
 Dceeeee
Msg: 26
Posted: 2/8/2009 5:43:12 PM
I agree with CynthiaM on this...she said...
OTOH, I'm very conscientous about how I dress when I'm going to see my bf. He notices how I look and I like to look good for him. I make the effort of my own initiative/desire to make him happy, not because he's set any kind of expectation. Win-win in my book.

Since I no longer work outside the home, I have no reason to dress up anymore, but if a man takes me out to dinner and wants me to dress nice, I will put on the matching lingerie and stockings under my dress. I'm not very comfortable in the heels since I got older, so I won't wear them if I'm going to do a lot of walking, but they are fine for going out to eat or somewhere where you will be sitting once you get there.

Also, I like it for night time wear, too..."It's not just for dinner anymore!"

Once I got dressed in all black ..corset, stockings and all...just to have my guy say, "Batman!" Kinda killed the mood, ya know? Not all guys are into it, so if you are, talk to her about it...most likely she'll be glad to....or better yet...visit Victoria Secret and get her the lingerie that turns you on for Valentine's Day. You'll BOTH win! (The salesclerk will be more than happy to help you...or give her a gift card, and go with her to spend it.)

~DC~
 *buzz*
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Posted: 2/9/2009 11:26:45 AM

it occurred to me how much I miss women wearing dresses, stockings, etc. To me that was the real feminine mystique.

I must have grown up in a very shielded world because stocking and suspenders never entered my world until I met who introduced this taste into our blast. And even that time I was always thinking that rolling down stockings slowly and at the same time being showered with kisses was like removing rose's petals in order to get to nectar

Hmm ... 20 years on ... well if it is this fishnet stockings that lights up his fire ... so be it as long as burning passion is sweeping us of our feet. Besides, this wonderous affair of hearts is about pleasing and being pleased, isn't it?
 whytwater
Msg: 28
Posted: 2/9/2009 9:46:02 PM
It seems to me that women have tons more clothing options than men do, and they are generally skilled at wearing what makes them look best. Sometimes, I have wished some were less so, that aspect of "fashion" which is costume, and deceives. Lol.

OP, you may have a favorite look in your mind's eye, but I suspect it will be easier to broaden your horizons than foster any real hope that anything you or we say or do will influence the fashion choices of half of the human population. Something about going to the mountain rather than hoping it will come to you.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > I know I will get blasted for this but...