Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Should men color the gray      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 sum1reel
Msg: 4
Should men color the grayPage 1 of 27    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27)
i've done it and have no regrets!...........what amuses me is the women who oppose it BUT at the same time they all clamor for youthful looking men!......especially if the man is older!
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 5
Should men color the gray
Posted: 5/15/2006 6:55:12 PM
I Think a man looks sexy with graying hair. Gives them character. Look at Richard Gere, he looks better now than he did 10 yrs ago. Speaking of men who are getting up there in age,
why is it that men seem to get sooo much more attractive with age and most woman just
get old? Hey, that would be a good topic for a new thread. But seriously, I do like the gray
hair>
 sum1reel
Msg: 7
Posted: 5/15/2006 7:10:18 PM
at mae

[-why is it that men seem to get sooo much more attractive with age and most woman just
get old? Hey, that would be a good topic for a new thread-]

^...........no need for a new thread....its because what you describe is an illusion...that is, from a woman's perspective..........what women really find attractive is the SECURITY that an older man brings to the table.....they are generally accomplished and established, and don't need to worry about how the next bunch of bills are gonna get paid.....this fosters a sense of well being for a woman that translates into a feeling of attraction!
 boisegoodbadboy
Msg: 8
Posted: 5/15/2006 9:30:44 PM
i dont need to color my hair...just my beard.
i really dont care if a woman likes it or not...
i do it cuz im still in acute denial of being in my 50s...
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 9
Posted: 5/15/2006 9:31:59 PM
Oh please, the security that an older man brings to the table. I consider myself to be pretty well established and certainly do not need to worry how my bills are gonna get paid. I've been
managing quite well on my own for more than 10 yrs thank-you. And how can you possibly
voice any opinion from a woman's perspective when you have NO IDEA what being a woman is all about. Why are you trying to make this about your opinions when its actually about what I find attractive.
 Ron9
Msg: 10
Posted: 5/15/2006 10:26:32 PM
My hair is that brownish/blondish color. I know full well that I have plenty gray hair but it kinda gets lost or something. I do know that my chest hair is 80% WHITE - my whiskers are 70% WHITE - and south of the border is totally BROWN - what is up with all the different hair color on me - I am a freak of nature boo hoo sniff sniff.

To do a dye job I would have to either bleach out the (down under) hair or dye my chest and head hair.

Are guys suppose to be ......... color coordinated these days?

.............. I am so confused on this topic
 SonnyBono50
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 5/15/2006 10:35:08 PM
Don't do it! No really if the man feels unconfortable with his appearence then by all means change the appearence, it's no different than wearing toopais or however you spell that. For me personally I don't mind seeing some gray finally starting to come. I think it gives a little bit of a distinguished look. Maturity and respectful appearence.
 tinkerbellcgy
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 5/16/2006 4:57:20 AM
Well, sum1reel, maybe you should take a look at what you are doing to attract those types of females. As Dr. Phil says, you must be getting some kind of reward or you wouldn't set out to attract needy and financially strapped women.

We are half a century past the 1950's where the man supported the "little woman". In a lot of cases, I have done far better financially than my male counterparts. And that came from my own hard work and not at the expense of a man because I have never been married. I guess you just haven't kept up with the times, eh?

Finally, if I, as a female, have a few gray hairs it's because I've earned them as I am sure my male counterparts have as well.

Tink, Calgary
 bobbelieu
Msg: 15
Posted: 5/16/2006 6:12:35 AM
I started going grey in high school, and by the time I hit 40 I was pretty much white.

Sort of a 'Steve Martin' effect

I like it the way it is. I joke about it sometimes, but I would never seriously consider coloring it. Sometimes you get lucky when you turn grey.

But every Halloween I tell people I'm going to dye my hair black and go as my twin brother
 vrb1955
Msg: 21
Posted: 5/16/2006 7:13:09 PM
Now since Richard Gere does not post here ..gorgous man, gorgous hair

If you have grey hair dye it ..it will turn yellow over time

If you have silver hair ..keep it but make sure you visit a good stylist to keep it bright
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 26
Posted: 5/18/2006 4:01:25 PM
Reply to Lipstick Sunsets,

Actually I am quite comfortable in my skin, more confident, self assured, its been a journey
of self-discovery over the years. I like me now. I probably could not have said that even 10
years ago. The statement I made regarding most woman getting old was not an attitude,
but an observation made by a group of us people watchers, The consensus was that most males we have come in contact with over the years have become considerably more attractive whereas the females have not faired so well. Thats all. To go back to the original
thread " Should men color the gray", well my personal preference, keep the gray.
 bobbelieu
Msg: 27
Posted: 5/18/2006 7:37:00 PM
Grey is always better than the alternative....but I think you're right. I have almost too much hair...and nearly all of it is white.

But my friends who are going bald are still dark haired.

Interesting observation....
 Mesnafugal
Msg: 28
Posted: 5/18/2006 9:22:47 PM
I personally do NOT like a man to color his hair... get a perm... I do not like that at all. I happy to like a man who is balding... who has salt and pepper hair or even all gray. Why be ashamed of who you are and how old you are? I want a man to be a man and dying hair are for the foo foo women NOT foo foo men.. LOL
 Dovestreasure
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 5/21/2006 1:19:31 PM
I have always felt men age more gracefully then women. Just have a look at TV news anchors. Mature women are rare but the sophisticated older man anchor is the norm. You would never see the likes of Walter Chronkite dying his hair. Loveswood you should not compromise what you feel comfortable with in order to please someone , or for that matter to attract someone. Be true to yourself and that special lady will love you just as you are. Age is a state of mind as far as im concerned. Even with colored locks you are as old as you feel.
 MarieCurie
Msg: 34
Posted: 5/22/2006 7:13:36 AM
finger licking good
 NOW_ON_AUCTION
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 5/22/2006 9:15:48 PM
if you got it.flaunt it.
 jenba75069
Msg: 46
Posted: 5/27/2006 3:47:52 PM
nah, natural is sexier;)
 banita
Msg: 47
Posted: 5/27/2006 7:58:23 PM
I have seen a couple men that obviously dye their hair and I don't liike it. I actually wish women didn't have to dye theirs either. The time, the expense, the "itchiness"! I hate it but I do it in order to look more attractive. That bothers me on so many levels. If a little (or a lot) of grey (or silver) in the hair keeps someone from finding me attractive - that's a sad statement on society today. But, things aren't going to change in my lifetime so neither will I.
 ucantbserious
Msg: 49
Posted: 5/27/2006 10:44:49 PM
Well, if you decide to color, do this. Buy womens hair color, and get as close to your natural color as possible (if you still have some color). Mens hair color rarely has the research and development behind it, and generally won't come out looking as natural.
Use a yogurt cup to mix only half of the color with half the developer. Use some of that on top first, because you want to dye the top more than right at the temples. follow the directions on the package as to time, but be prepared for it to need to be redone. They recommend timing the dye for the frailest hair types, and if your hair is more robust or resistant it won't 'take' very well the first time. (however, if your hair IS frail, much longer than pckg directions will damage and destroy the hair).
Anyway, as I was saying, give the top an extra five to ten minutes to what the temples get, and gradually add color lower and lower on the head as the time passes. The idea is to gradually show a touch of gray blended into 'natural' looking hair that has more dye farther up the head, and a touch of gray at the temples. This goes a long way toward keeping a 'natural' look. Note how much coverage you get. Because you have reserved back half of the color (most men, and actually most women will find they can easily get two colorings out of one purchase) if you need to you can re-color to get better coverage, but note carefully the integrity of the hair. What allows the dye to penetrate is a strong alkaline solution and leaving it on too long can break down the integrity of the outer covering of the hair strand (the cuticle layer) so much that the hair breaks, tears, or even falls out! It is important to use the conditioner that comes with the color for this reason. It neutralizes the alkalis, and 'sets' the color. If you're not going to need the other half of the dye, save it to redo in a couple weeks or so. I don't recommend dying a beard, cause it's hell to breathe that stuff for the twenty minutes, more or less, that it takes to dye it, and beards rarely come out looking right for long. The top of the head has gravity covering over the new growth. The bottom has gravity uncovering it.
I have brown hair, and got a blonde tinting mousse that is for adding highlights after I dyed. It made it look very natural (along with the touch of gray at the temples) and I had fun playing with it. I have recently been growing it out, discovering I don't really mind the silver, and it has been kind of interesting watching the roots coming in silver under the sun-bleaching brown and blond. Hey, go play, if you want to! It grows out, after all. Some women definitely seemed to be more receptive, but then again, some seem more responsive to the silver. Probably it has everything to do with my own feelings about how I appear to the women of the world, When I feel confident and self-assured, the hair really doesn't matter. When I'm having doubts, the hair doesn't matter, either...
 Montreal_Guy
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 5/28/2006 5:33:43 AM
I made the mistake of trying to "cover up" the grey in my "pinch" shortly after getting divorced.

I had been talking with this really sweet young woman I work with, who I had asked to guess my age. She was hesitant, and didn't want to insult me.

After a lot of prompting, she said "Perhaps mid-Thirties?" Then she went on to mention the grey in my pinch...

Guess what ? The next day I went out and got some of that "Formula" stuff, and decided to roll back the clock even further.

D'OH !

When they say five minutes MAXIMUM, they are not kidding btw...

I wound up with this dark brown pinch, and also had the added pleasure of a really nasty chemical burn. I pretty much looked like I french kissed the tailpipe of a top fuel dragster for a couple of weeks...

Then, after that all cleared up, I was on a date with a woman. She leaned over and said..." I really think that touch of grey is so sexy....."

D'OH !
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 54
Posted: 7/24/2006 10:14:18 PM
...Absolutely not, keep the gray. Its adds an air of sophistication and sex appeal. Good combo.

...maeflowers
 Brizo
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Posted: 7/24/2006 10:21:34 PM
I love gray hair. When I watch the mens hair commercials I always think, whoa, he's hot! Then he dyes his hair.....not nearly as attractive to me. There is a lady, can't remember her username, she has the most awesome gray hair....if I thought mine would look half as sharp as hers does I would do it too.....
 Mesnafugal
Msg: 56
Posted: 7/24/2006 11:04:41 PM
I recently started seeing someone .. his hair is a bit longer (which i love) and is totally salt and pepper which I think is VERY sexy.. however.. he colors his beard and mustache.. The gray is showing in it right now and he looks great but he's already said THIS WEEK it's getting colored.. oh well.. guess I lost that battle...
 tournesol
Msg: 57
Posted: 7/25/2006 5:35:47 AM
no no no no no

men age so beautifully.

if they want to they should do it, but they don't need to do it for me.
 geoweb
Msg: 58
Posted: 7/25/2006 5:49:14 AM
I have my days, when I wish I just had some hair on my head....color optional!
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Should men color the gray