Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Manitoba  > Have you ever had to put down your dog or cat?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 mrkwyd1
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Have you ever had to put down your dog or cat?Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
A few years ago I got to "join in" on taking the family dog that I grew up (I had moved out long before then) with to the vet for the final time.

One of those things that life can REALLY do without. Its a horrible thing and no one should ever have to go through it alone.
They become more than just animals that live with us, they're loved ones, family, unjudging, and, as mentioned, providing unconditional love and companionship (Unless someone offers a better treat...then the companionship is a little lacking )

As I look to my little princess (dog/roommate...I'd say pet...but who am I kidding, she runs the show here), who is not so young anymore, I dread the day when her number is up.
 _pale_pink_
Msg: 4
Have you ever had to put down your dog or cat?
Posted: 5/15/2006 10:18:03 PM
Kharma! Grey's Anatomy tonight, I couldn't watch that....I sobbed uncontrollably (I could not get a grip) the whole way though. And both my dogs were on me licking my face, upset that I was crying.

I was never able to have children, and my two dogs are like my kids. I never go anywhere wiithout them, and they are not small dogs. Guys have to pass the "dog test" if they want to date me...my dogs are a good judge of character.

And each has aspects of my personality that are so apparent, it's too funny to watch them in action. And nothing beats, the off leash parks, especially going to a regular one and meeting all the great dog people in Wpg. Funny you never ever get to know the people's name it's oh you are "Spirit's mom".

OT: My oldest is 6 now, while he is still young he is showing signs of a bit of arthritis. And I seem to be the neighbourhood dog person....I LOVE them, so generally, have more dogs than people in my house as all my friends are big dog lovers as well. And one of my "special" dogs, who belongs to a close friend of mine, is well past her life expectancy, she has been a part of my life for nearly 7 years now. She will be my first, I don't know how I will handle it.

There have been a few deaths in my family, but I know for me my dogs are going to be the most difficult.
 Nighthawk 648
Msg: 5
Posted: 5/16/2006 9:16:57 AM
Deadlyeye, that is a touching story, I hope that is the way my Dal goes.

Dogs are amazing creatures, perceptive, intelligent and the unconditional love second to having a child for sure. I'm not sure how I would handle it. I have never had to do it, and don't even really want to think about it. But also know I would never want him to suffer in pain. I do know I would have him cremated for sure, I've already thought about that.
 nottylady
Msg: 12
Posted: 5/18/2006 6:09:37 AM
5 years ago I was forced to put the love of my life down. She was a large black and white Malamute. This dog was my shadow and my protector, she went everywhere I went.

She was diagnosed with cancer in her hip joint. When she got to the point that she suffered I could not deal with her pain and had to put her down. I cried non stop for 3 days. Nothing prepares you for that pain and nothing eases it.

I think that she knew that her time was drawing to an end. She was always leery about going out for a boat ride with me prefering to stay at the campsite but the last summer she would be the first one in the boat.

I know that I will never have another dog that will come close to being what she was. My best friend in life and always my protector. I have seen this dog leap over a coffee table to get to me when she thought I needed her. Stopped a breakin in progress, and chased an attacker away to keep her mom safe.

She is always close to my heart and I treasure my memories of her time with me. I know that she is watching out for me still, just has a higher view.
I will miss her until the day I die and we can be together again.
Funny I still can't eat an apple or carrot without feeling I need to share as these were her favorite treats.
 Mysti Eyes
Msg: 16
Posted: 5/19/2006 2:23:44 PM
February 12, 2000

OMG...I cried so much that day...

Myself, my dad, & my late stepmother had a dog from when she was a puppy. She was the cutest ball of brown fur, so my dad called her "His Little Brown Round". She knew how to grin with her front teeth, she was able hop part-way down our old hallway on her hind legs, and was generally a happy dog! She even used to sleep in my bed with me when I was younger...her head would be right beisde mine, up near MY head. Gawd, sge SNORED, but I still loved her to pieces.

But 2 days before V-Day in 2000, her hips had gotten so bad with age (she was 12 and part german shepherd), and she had gotten a few strokes...Dad decided it was time to put her down. I can't even remember how much I cried, but I know it was enough for me that I missed a day of school.

A few days later, after I had gotten a few late birthday gifts (my b-day is in Jan...I got a cpl gifts in March), I found an old picture of my dad & our Little Brown Round snuggling on the couch. So, I took some birthday money, & said picture, went to Pets 101, & had my dad a custom mug made....& he still keeps it at work!

OMG I miss her so much...I see her "grinning" at me in my dreams occasionally, so I know she's happier. But still....
 Fort Garry Dark
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 5/22/2006 8:46:02 PM
Hey Kim

I know how you feel.

Chin up.
 Malley
Msg: 22
Posted: 11/3/2007 8:21:16 PM
When you acquire an animal you know that chances are good that you will outlive them and that the inevitable will have to be faced ...

My beloved Zorka ... a smooth Collie that I adopted when she was 6 ... was with me for 7 years ... she had seen me through so much ... the sickness and eventual deaths of both my parents ... job loss ... empty nest ... she was always there and offered me nothing but pure unadulterated unconditional love ... eventually her kidneys began to fail ... but I was not ready to let go ... no one ever is ... I lay on the floor with her when she was put to sleep ... amazing how something can be so devastating yet so peaceful at the same time ... it struck me as so odd that this is considered the humane thing to do... yet a human is left to suffer and waste away slowly ... sometimes for years even decades ... I swore that I would never ever get another and put myself in this position again ... however ... two months later ... my boy was on a flight down to his forever home ... I got him sight unseen ... and the amazing thing is he looks just like her ... I like to think that Zorkas had a hand ... paw ? ... in getting us together ...
 RacerM95
Msg: 30
Posted: 12/4/2009 3:48:20 PM
I am looking at that right now, My son's dog is 16 yrs old, I will be extremely surprised if he makes it past x-mas.. I would preffer to put him down, to end the suffering.My son wont let me, says its murder. I am so not ready for this.. What do I do?

This is just not easy
 arturo_bandini
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 12/6/2009 9:55:45 AM

I am looking at that right now, My son's dog is 16 yrs old, I will be extremely surprised if he makes it past x-mas.. I would preffer to put him down, to end the suffering.My son wont let me, says its murder. I am so not ready for this.. What do I do?

If the dog is in pain, you have to sit your son down and explain to him that this is the best thing for the old guy. I've had to put a pet down, and as difficult as it was, I sat with Sammy as she went to sleep. I felt better that her last moments were spent with me petting her as she purred instead of the constant pain she was in prior to that.
 RacerM95
Msg: 35
Posted: 12/6/2009 2:15:52 PM
my son is 19, lives at home with me.. The dog doesnt seem to be in any visible pain, he just has a hard time getting up, to walk anywhere, when he has to go outside my son carrys him down the stairs. Then back up again.. I understand why my son is having a hard time to let go.. London started out as his mothers dog (always resuing some critter) She left the dog behind, for my son to look after when she moved to Saskatoon, The 2 bonded, they have been inseperable ever since... London was always there when my son needed a hug. whatever. I honestly think London is what kept my son in one piece during the seperation/divorce, was the only solid foundation if you will, during those times..

I owe London a debt of grattitude I can not ever repay.
 haywiresue
Msg: 36
Posted: 12/9/2009 2:47:44 PM
I think you need to have "the quality of life" talk with your son. We love our pets and its our person need to have them around us (selfishness) that allows us to ignore their pain and suffering. There comes a time to love, let go and remember, knowing you did right by and for your pet. When I dealt with this at home with teenagers, I just asked if it was right to take the dignity of a painless death away from our cats, as they were siblings and both had stages of feline renal failure. The decision was hard, but in the end, it was the best for the cats.

I think the debt of gratitude you owe London, could be repaid by ending its suffering before the pain gets too extreme.
 Heavencalling
Msg: 37
Posted: 10/14/2011 2:28:00 PM
We have many dogs/cats we have had to put down. My dog is getting old, but I know that as long as I do my best with the Vet, I have done my best. I know that I would have given her the best I did, more than what alot of animals that don't have homes, i.e. wild, ferrel or in humane socieites, puppy mills have had. I will hold her talk with her as she goes to her eternal rest as I did with my beloved brother and sister. I have given her the best life, care and love I can. God will take care of the rest.

Have peace in your heart my friend as I am sure your beloved companion understood and knew instintively that it was her time to go and that you were there for her. She was not in pain, but mainly not alone but in your loving arms.

If you believe, you will think of her running and playing in the Garden of St. Francis of Assissi the Saint of all animals and nature. Google St. Francis, it may give you some comfort as it does me.
 MyScreennameRox
Msg: 38
Posted: 2/20/2012 9:06:55 PM
It's funny how people, when referring to their pets, use "put down" or a fuzzy, feel-good word like "put to sleep".

Yet when referring to an animal like a pit bull that attacked someone, they use a negative, emotionally charged word like "destroyed".

The procedure is identical in both cases. Why the differing terms?

Face it, folks. Your beloved Fluffy got destroyed.
 edjoecdn
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 5/13/2012 9:17:57 AM
Wow that's HARSH..... ( 2nd one above )
Why is some people never take the time to understand Humans !
Compassion ..... is becoming more of a rarity...
 OptiLiving
Msg: 42
Posted: 6/24/2012 5:27:43 AM
Heartbreak x2. Never again. The most important question I would ask a guy used to be if he had kids. Now I ask if he has pets. Selfish maybe but the love & joy brought into my life with my two dogs was not worth the absolute heartbreak of having to put them down. Too difficult for this suck.
 armaegis
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 6/26/2012 8:56:22 PM
Not a dog or a cat, but I've had several birds over the years. The saddest was one who became very ill and was basically in his death throes by the time I got him to the vet. There was nothing they could do so I just sat there and held him until he passed. Feeling his little heart slow down and stop in my hands was crushing.
 niceguyga2011
Msg: 44
Posted: 2/4/2013 9:04:00 PM
Yup, recently had to put down my Golden Retriever. She was old, almost 13, and having some issues. But the worst was saying, Cmon Ginger lets go for a ride, we had a vet appointment, she was having some breathing issues and wanted her to see the vet. She loved to ride in the car. I didnt know it at the time, but I was taking her for last ride. All hell broke loose an the drive to the vet.
 niceguyga2011
Msg: 45
Posted: 2/4/2013 9:07:31 PM
I had a neighbor once, I noticed his dog was pregnant. I asked about it, he told me he wanted to show his kids the miracle of life. I asked him what he was planning to do with the pups. He didn't answer. I wanted to ask him if educating his kids on the miracle life, would he show them the end of life? Dumping the pups at the pound when noone would want them?
Show ALL Forums  > Manitoba  > Have you ever had to put down your dog or cat?