Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.
Show ALL Forums  > Sports  > why does know one talk about LACROSSE???      Home login  
Msg: 1
view profile
why does know one talk about LACROSSE???Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
It is Canadas original national sport but no one seems to give a d*mn about it though. Is it just because the majority of people never played it? is it because they've never actually watched a game? I've been playing for 18years now, and it just doesn't seem to be as popular as it should be. I think the NLL (national lacrosse league) should step up to the plate now that the NHL has decioded to disappoint so pany fans by cancelling the season. I just figured i would start a thread on it to find out why the majority of the public are completly unaware of a sport which has more action then hockey or basketball, and is played by players who play it for the love of the game and not because it pays millions of dollars a year. Vancouver has recently lost it's National Lacrosse team due to lack of funds and it saddens me. Lets hear your thoughts on the subject.

Msg: 2
why does know one talk about LACROSSE???
Posted: 2/18/2005 11:42:00 AM
i watch it whenever it's on TV. i also got into playing it but i couldn't go to school, carry a job and play it at all the same time. i wish it was a little more popular. i think it's a lot of fun to watch. i never know when it's on tv though and to be honest i don't know when the season starts and ends. i'd definatley watch it if it were on more often.
Msg: 3
Posted: 5/2/2005 7:53:03 PM
Lacrosse is an awesome sport, my son who is 5 just started playing & he loves it. Growing up in Canada it was always Lacrosse in the summer & hockey in the winter.
Msg: 4
Posted: 8/3/2005 6:22:06 PM
I am sure that with a number of championships won by the Toronto Rock and all the expansion teams that are popping up around the country LAX will become a much more publicized watched sport. It is our national sport. For all of you who have never seen a game and its intensity. Go watch before you count it out. As my son's have always said "It"s not a real sport unless there is contact" and yes there is plenty of contact. Bone crunching and bruising. I have two sons that play lacrosse and a third who will be playing as soon as I can get him on the floor (age 3/4 for Peanut). It is much more intense then hockey. We spend all spring and summer in the arena playing lacrosse and all fall and winter playing hockey. There is nothing better then seeing the look on your childs face when they score or "ROCK" somebody.
Msg: 5
view profile
Posted: 9/14/2005 9:14:32 PM
My son started playing lacrosse 3 years ago. Before that I have never heard of it. This will be his 4 year of H.S. He has started every game. He loves more than football. He plays middie. His favorite part is making someone miss him when they age trying to check him. Last year he roll dodge a kid after a face off. The kids who missed him slammed his teammate so hard they knock the wind out of each other. Down here in Florida there are a better group of parents involved with Lacrosse. He hopes to play Lacrosse in college. The universitys down here only have club teams. He has had offers to play for some small N.C. school but none of them have engineering progarms. We watch major league Lacrosse. I like the 2 point line. Espn has only showed one or two games of indoor lacrosse it looks interesting.
Msg: 6
Posted: 9/17/2005 8:36:31 AM
IMO, lacrosse is one of the best team sports around,and yes IT IS the fastest game on two feet(not skates). There is no gliding around, you have to run to get where you want to go, and if you don't run, you don't win(and you look like a statue out there). The tough part of lacrosse from a spectator's point of view is trying to follow the ball during the game. It is fast, no offsides etc. If you turn your head, sometimes you miss a goal. That is why the pro league during the winter plays on green turf, so that the white ball can be seen a little better.
The sport is great for kids, and is a skilled sport, meaning it is a little tougher to gain stick skill, but with lots of practise throwing against a brick wall, a kid can pick up on it within a summer. Many good/great hockey players have played this great game, including Gretzky( I got to play against him when I was 12).If you think he was good in hockey, you should of seen what he did with a lacrosse stick.
If any of you are thinking of putting your kids in lacrosse, DO IT!! They will come home tired and with a smile on their face. The sport took me all over North America, and brought me to present home here in British Columbia. And lacrosse people are breed all onto their own, giving unselfishly to keep the sport alive.
Msg: 7
Posted: 9/17/2005 11:31:40 AM
Go Rock Go.....
Msg: 8
Posted: 3/5/2006 5:22:21 PM
i dont think people talk about because most folks dont nkow about it , when ever i bring it people are like what is that ? its such an east coast sport , but it has been getting pretty big here in wisconsin and illinois chicago just got a pro team , i play on an adult team that plays against 24 college teams from wis, ill,mi and min.

ive been into it since i first saw it 5 years ago before that i never knew it existed i love it
Msg: 9
view profile
Posted: 3/6/2006 4:59:26 PM
I love lacrosse! I'm wearing a lacrosse tshirt right now.
Msg: 10
Posted: 3/6/2006 5:10:16 PM
most people now know of lacrosse from the NLL but alot of us still watch it in the spring summer months

it is play in many cities in the greater toronto area with teams playing in brampton, mississauga toronto whitby and many more to name

it is played by 5 year olds all the way to adult

you can watch lots of lacrosse in the summer months ending in sept with either

the mann minto or presidents cup

it is also played all over canada

so if you have ony been to a rock game or seen any NLL game on tv check out the summer game too
Msg: 11
view profile
Posted: 3/6/2006 8:35:48 PM
Umm its no one, not know one. That's the English teacher in me talking. That said, I love lacrosse. I watch it all the time on TV, and would go to games if I lived in a city with an NLL team.
Msg: 12
Posted: 3/28/2006 7:51:00 AM
keith may have answered his own question. Because it's Canada's national sport.(I guess the Olympic business ended hockey's run) Down here in the world's trailer park, we try to avoid anything having to do with Canada. Lacrosse is pretty big in the ACC though, and believe it or not, I'm starting to see kids playing it in the parks like we used to play pick up football and sandlot baseball. My grandson plays on a club team in Georgia, so maybe it is starting to catch on.
Msg: 13
view profile
Posted: 3/28/2006 10:11:06 AM
how bout that duke squad
Msg: 14
Posted: 3/28/2006 11:18:20 AM
Lacross is actually an awesome sport, just doesnt have the attraction of off season and stuff. There are so many goals in a game that its hard to know whos the best players are. I saw when the Rock won 3 championships and i loved it..however i can only remember a couple names from thoes teams lol. It needs more advertisment.
Msg: 15
Posted: 5/19/2006 11:01:03 PM
well i love lacrosse.. my brother plays.. for the nll.. and well i wish there were more of lacrosse talk on here.. cheers to those who understand or care for the sport.. fastest game on two feet.. and one hell of an afterparty....
Msg: 16
Posted: 5/20/2006 2:49:41 PM
^^^^^^^^^^ fastest game on two feet!!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

sometimes not even have to run that much as long as you keep moving the ball up the floor it's quite a easy sport for i've played up till the junior level{which i played for Burnaby in BC}.

what i remember from the boys out in the eastern lacrosse assosiation was they were good at moving that ball up the floor for that's why they beat us back in the nationals{Brampton Excelsiors}. They took 1st that year with us a close 3rd.

But yes it is a great game and very fast with yes a good afta-partee just not at the higher levels but as well as the growin up stages,but,if ya know the sport and grew up involved or around the sport would a person know that.

The NLL is growing and will keep growing with new expansion teams/clubs all over North America. I think there was a couple of new expansions this season in the Miami and cannot at this time remember the other but i'm sure there was supposed to be two new expansions this season anyways.

Msg: 17
Posted: 5/20/2006 3:34:57 PM
(Age Giveaway here) I use to go to the Toronto Tomahawk games at the Maple Leaf Gardens when the played on just the cement surface! It was fantastic then! (Doug Favell an ex Leaf goalie played for the Philly team), the unfortunate part of the NLL back in the 70's was the attendance!!! It was a BIG crowd IF 1000 showed up to watch the Tomahawks play! I played for Beaches when I was a kid and STILL LOVE THE GAME!!!!
Msg: 18
Posted: 3/23/2008 6:02:40 PM
Hey don't worry dude!! I'm ALL FOR THE AWESOME GAME! I'm not like most Canadian sports fans who don't care enough to know about it.... and it is indeed very sad this is the case! It's because lacrosse is in fact Canada's national summer sport (while hockey is our national winter sport) that sports fans everywhere needs to pay attention to it. Honest! That's why the NLL has been around for 20 years now..... which mind you, isn't a long time but we gotta start somewhere! But it is for sure the oldest game in North America and perhaps the Western Hemisphere, and because of that, I think it should be given alot more attention along with hockey and soccer.

However.... ANYWAY...... I can't speak for anyone else. All I can say is there isn't enough exposure of the game to the sports public as of yet. Right now, there are leagues like the NLL (the pro b0x league), the MLL (the pro field league), etc. however it'll take a lot more time for these leagues and the game itself to make enough of an impact for ppl to seriously take notice.

A really good way to make the game well known is for some computer game company to make a lacrosse video game. That way, it'll get kids to play it a lot and as a result, they'll also want to get out there and play it themselves. Then again, a lacrosse game should have been released ions ago! I don't know what the problem is with these companies. Are they really worried that they're not gonna make enough money from it?? If so, that's stupid!! They're not gonna go bankrupt or anything since they have too much money. Even if they lose several millions of dollars, they're multi-billion corporations. I also think greed has alot to do with it too since the worry of not making enough from the game is always in the minds of these folks. But that's another story altogether.

Well........ that's my scoop on lacrosse. But whatever ppl may think about it, it IS the fastest growing sport in the world as well as the fastest game on both feet .... that along with soccer. May lacrosse rule forever ..... and ever..... amen!
 prairie pundit
Msg: 19
Posted: 3/24/2008 9:49:23 AM
The thing about lacrosse is that, even though it's one of Canada's national sports (it now shares that official distinction with hockey), it isn't really played to any great degree anywhere between Ontario and BC.
I don't know why, but I'm guessing that on the prairies, with the long winters and such, the majority of kids (and parents) have no desire to stay in the arenas.
I had never even seen a live lacrosse game before moving to Vancouver Island and then I was inundated with it. It's a great sport, although the governing bodies certainly need to grab a little more authority over the teams – or at least that's the case on the Island.
Leagues are run very poorly and teams come and go on a consistent basis.
Teams can forfeit games for no reason other than "they don't want to travel there" and there is absolutely no consequence to their actions. Try that in hockey any you'll be expelled from provincial play.
Certainly media has a lot to do with the sport's relative lack in popularity. But it's hard for the media to get excited in a sport that's so poorly run at the grass roots level. Scheduling is absolutely brutal. In my five years ont he Island there was not one single league, from tykes to junior B, that followed its schedule properly.
Again, I am only speaking of the way the leagues are run on Vancouver Island, as that's all I've had experience with, but if the rest of the country is anything like the Island ...
Msg: 20
Posted: 3/25/2008 10:06:46 AM
I never had much in the way of exposure to the game growing up. We played road hockey all summer and pond hockey all winter. The odd game on tv was about it, so I wouldn't know much about the intricacies of the game. But i did stumble on a neat story last night.

Seems the city of Colorado loves the game as their club nightly outdraws the Denver Nuggets and the Colorado Avalanche at the Pepsi Centre.

"""...If I asked you which one of these teams in the Denver area draws the most people - Colorado Avalanche, Denver Nuggets, Colorado Mammoth - you'd probably say, what the hell are the Colorado Mammoth?

They're Colorado's professional lacrosse team, and like the Avs and the Nuggets, they play in the Pepsi Center in Denver. And they outdraw both the two other teams in attendance.

Yes, you read that right. A pro lacrosse team you've never heard of outdraws two major pro sports franchises. The Mammoth has led the National Lacrosse League in attendance for the past three seasons and has regularly lured 16,000 to 17,000 people a game. The club that's second this year, the Buffalo Bandits, isn't even close to the Mammoth, with an average crowd of 14,205..."""

Who would have guessed that one? Not me, that's for sure.
Msg: 21
Posted: 3/26/2008 6:46:19 PM
Its very similar to hockey and as you know, hockey is not a popular sport. Will Lacrosse ever be a popular sport in the U.S.? I doubt it.

Football, baseball, and basketball are the big 3
Msg: 22
Posted: 4/9/2008 1:17:07 AM
Excuse ME BUDDY!! What the hell are YOU talking about?!?!? HOCKEY NOT A POPULAR SPORT??? Hardy har har!! NOW I've heard everything!!! Hockey is one of the MOST popular sports in North America and throughout the world!! As for lacrosse, yeah... IT IS INDEED a popular sport in the US .... that's why there's the NLL, MLL and all the other leagues! There are too many to mention.

How can anyone respect your opinions when you don't even know what the hell you're talking about?!?! You DON'T know what you're talking about! And as for your so-called "big 3", you don't know any better because you're so brainwashed into thinking that those are the ONLY 3 on the entire planet!! No no no no no... you need a serious education mister .... and FAST! Where do you get these "facts" of yours anyways? If you're American, I can see why you would say that since most American sports fans REALLY ONLY KNOW those so-called "big 3". Sooo... I mean I'm sorry to say but I don't think you know what you're talking about here! You're dead wrong! What you seriously need to do is give your whole mentality a revamped makeover because it REALLY NEEDS IT. If you take offense to this comment, you should be offended because I'm afraid you brought it upon yourself.... sorry to say.

But... ANYWAYS.... of course, everyone has their own opinion in everything. Just be careful WHERE you voice it because there will always be others like myself who'll put you in your place! So PLEASE don't come across like you know sports when I'm around because it's obvious you don't sir!
 prairie pundit
Msg: 23
Posted: 4/9/2008 3:47:28 AM
"Excuse ME BUDDY!! What the hell are YOU talking about?!?!? HOCKEY NOT A POPULAR SPORT??? Hardy har har!! NOW I've heard everything!!! Hockey is one of the MOST popular sports in North America and throughout the world!! "

In the States, hockey television ratings are lower than those of NASCAR, Arena Football and, of all things, POKER. So I'm guessing that's what the hell he is talking about.
As far as it being one of the most popular sports in the world, have to totally disagree with you there. Most of the world doesn't even know the sport exists. Go to India and ask about hockey and the only hockey they will be able to tell you about is field hockey. Most of China has no idea (other than the 19 people in attendance at the Canada/Finland hockey game Wednesday morning) and the only thing they use ice for in South America is Pina Coladas. Hockey is almost exclusively a northern sport. It is nowhere near one of the most popular sports in the world.

PS - I'm a huge hockey fan.
Msg: 24
I'm sorry if you disagree sir.
Posted: 4/9/2008 2:25:21 PM
I'm sorry if you disagree sir. However I'm just trying to make him aware that the world doesn't revolve around those 3 "sports" that he mentioned. You're clearly defending hin and I never asked for your intervention.

The whole point to this this forum group is so that we can promote lacrosse as much as we can because the game VERY MUCH NEEDS alot more promotion. Although we have the NLL, MLL, etc., I strongly believe lacrosse needs alot more exposure than just what there is right now. THAT you have to agree with there.

But .... ANYHOW..... that's my scoop on that. I'm not going to argue about this anymore because there's no point. I'm only trying to make others see things differently rather than the same old thing.
 prairie pundit
Msg: 25
I'm sorry if you disagree sir.
Posted: 4/9/2008 7:33:39 PM
"You're clearly defending hin "
How do you figure that? I didn't mention him, or any of the sports he mentioned. All I was doing was showing you irrefutable proof that your comment was silly.

As for not asking for my intervention, I was unaware I needed your permission to post a comment on a public thread.
Show ALL Forums  > Sports  > why does know one talk about LACROSSE???