Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Dating a guy with no car...      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Wild Heart
Msg: 7
Dating a guy with no car...Page 1 of 11    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11)
Nothing wrong if both people live near enough for public transportation. It's when you live outside of those areas that it can be a problem.
 Ezzee
Msg: 17
Dating a guy with no car...
Posted: 5/17/2006 5:56:46 PM
I think I've counted half a dozen women on this thread whom I'd never have a chance with because I don't drive and I don't have a car. Anyone want to know why?

BECAUSE THEY DON"T GIVE BLIND PEOPLE DRIVERS LISCENSE!!!!!!!

But that's not my problem. It's your loss, as far as I'm concerned. Trust me, the minute they give blind people drivers liscenses, I'll get one and start driving, but I don't expect that day to come any time soon, do any of you?

Seriously though, a car is not the end all and be all of the world. Just like looks, at least I don't think it is. Just because I don't have a car doesn't mean that I'm not independant. Yeah, I have to structure my life a little more to accomodate the bus schedule, but that doesn't make me dependant on anything. I'm sorry I can't just hop in a car and get to your place like that. Yeah, that sucks. But if there is something wrong, I'll do whatever I can, and I'll get there as fast as I can. Yeah, it might not be in 5-10 minutes, but I'll be there or do what I need to do.

And to the person who said that if you don't have a car you should put it on the profile, there is a reason I don't. I find that gets me too many people who are sympathetic or just talk to me because they feel sorry for me. Sorry, I'm not one of Jerry's kids. You don't need to feel sorry for me. I can cook. I can clean. I can do my laundry. I can have sex. And I can grocery shop.

Seriously, though, folks. Let's think about this for a second. Have we really become that shallow as a society? I mean I know when it comes to looks and materialistic things, that we have become shallow, but now a car. Please. As if I needed anymore proof that society is going to hell in a handbasket.
 Ezzee
Msg: 21
Posted: 5/17/2006 6:48:55 PM

To the post about blind people. Let's not take everything to the extreme.
The conditions can be compared only if they are comparable.

Well, it would seem that this is totally comparable, since the title of the forum is "Dating a guy with no car" and just about everyone in here is saying that it isn't possible. In fact, nobody has said there is any difference for the reason why. It's just pure and simple if you don't have a car, I don't want to date you. Maybe I should put in my profile that if you have a car, I don't want to date you. It would be just about as shallow as so many people in this thread are being.
 ChicagoStyle
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 5/17/2006 11:26:15 PM
I wish I could ride a bike a take a bus to work. Unfortunately, I work in construction so, that's not gonna happen.

Actually, i have 2 cars, a beater for work, and my main car. i only drive my main car maybe once a week, if that. Especially since i'm not dating at the moment.

With you, it makes sense to get rid of your car, especially if your not using it but once or twice a month. If you can get by via taxi, bus, train, or rental, or even bike, more power to you. Sometimes i wish i lived downtown, but again, I need a car for work. No way around that. And, I hate the ideal of paying for a parking space when i got a 2 car garage that costs me alot less. But, I LOVE hanging out downtown. Good thing it's only 25 minutes away.

Also, if a women doesnt want to date you because you dont have a car, don't be too suprised. Alot of women(that i have talked to atleast), are like that. but, once you explain your situation and explain that you are willing to pay for a cab or even a rental, it shouldn't be an issue. If it is, she probably isn't worth it anyway.

I once dated a girl that lived 45 minutes away. We we started dating, her car was "in the shop". So, i would drive 45 minutes, pick her up, drive 30 minutes or so for the date, then drive 30 minutes or so to drop her off, then have to drive 45 minutes to get back home. After 3 weeks of her car being "in the shop", i had to call it quits. Plus, turns out, she didn't really have a car. LOL.

But, even if she did, I would have ened it anyway. Turns out she lied about some other things too. And, one thing I can't stand, is when someone lies. Especially for no reason.

Don't get a car if you don't want ot need to. You will find someone who understands why you walk and it won't matter. Just gotta keep looking for her.

goodluck
 Melodic Euphoria
Msg: 38
Posted: 5/18/2006 9:27:04 AM
jeez. man. you totally cut out 98% of the dating pool. You can't pick up chicks with a cab. You pick them up with a car...mwahahaha! choose your auto of choice, and your investment will pay off in terms of....
 Melodic Euphoria
Msg: 40
Posted: 5/18/2006 10:04:46 AM
Let's see...ROI = margin * turnover = revenue/sales * sales/avg assets = revenue/avg asset.

Now revenue = that number on your scorecard = > 0

assets = your car = 0

(I'm assuming you have positive numbers on your scorecard)/0 -> infinity

yeah, that makes sense
 ChicagoStyle
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 5/18/2006 1:40:28 PM
It's funny how, if the woman has a car and the guy doesn't, some people say things like, "make sure you have him pay for half the gas" or "I don't want to have to be helping him run errands all the time."

Can you imagine a guy asking a women to pay for half the gas when he picked her up for a date if she didn't have a car? LOL.
 sayonara7
Msg: 50
Posted: 5/18/2006 4:56:54 PM
Is that even a big deal?????I mean I don't even know how to drive.
 Ezzee
Msg: 64
Posted: 5/19/2006 8:02:58 PM
To sass: Not all young adults think that owning a car is criminal, environmentally unfriendly, and capitilistic. I think you'd be surprised by the number of Republicans out there who are young adults who don't feel this way at all. :P

To Cheap Trick Fan: Sometimes you have to do what you have to do when you don't own a car. I've had a dog, and never driven. It sucks having to drag a 40 lbs. bag of dog food on the bus, but unless I was going to start feeding the dog table scraps, it has to be done. But I'm sure to you, you must think that us with no cars must not eat either, cause let me tell you something else, it's a **** to carry groceries home with you on the bus too. Of course, then again, you make do. Trust me, I know first hand.
 Ezzee
Msg: 66
Posted: 5/20/2006 4:50:41 AM
Nice try, TwOtall69, but unfortunately it doesn't matter. No car means no wheels, whether you are disababled or not. I brought up pretty much this same point on one of the first pages, and yet, it was quite apparent that it was a mute point, just proving once again the shallowness of our society.
 Ezzee
Msg: 72
Posted: 5/20/2006 8:57:30 AM
To sass: I apologize, I must have been thinking of you when I was righting that. My bad. Deepest apologies.

To Night Run: I ripped up my young Republican membership card in 1996. Since then, I'vebounced around on political parties, but right now find myself mostly in agreement with the Green Party.
 TrackMan391
Msg: 85
Posted: 5/20/2006 5:20:42 PM
This issue of a guy not having a car might be a problem here in America. Historically, the country was built on an independent spirit, and face it, a bus passenger is anything but independent. But if all women in the world flat-out refused to date any guy without a car, then wouldn't Europe have no population by now? After all, we're all human; so Europeans must find have found a way to date using buses, trains, and streetcars. The only reason why a car is a prerequisite to dating is because public transportation is so looked down upon in our society. And on a personal note, I had my first girlfriend before my first car. So it is possible. As an added bonus, I can now name the nearest train station for most of my hometown's attractions.
 Ezzee
Msg: 101
Dating a guy with no car...my two cents!!
Posted: 5/21/2006 10:49:34 AM

Wait, why are those of us who go to school getting lumped in with those who don't work, and live in their parents' basement?

If you are referring to my comment, I was saying guys who dont work and DONT go to school. If you are in school then by all means live at home, school isnt cheap!

Thank god. I only live in my parents basement when I'm not at school. Then again, can I really call it my parents basement when they had both passed onto the other side in December? Oh well. I guess I like my parents basement, but I'm sure if the state or the creditors have anything to say about it, I won't be able to live her long. Thankfully my friends and I have an apartment for next year at school where I won't be living in the basement..
 Ezzee
Msg: 105
Dating a guy with no car...my two cents!!
Posted: 5/21/2006 12:25:50 PM

^^^what does this reply have to do with this thread??? I thought the topic was dating guys without cars, not who's living in who's basement...

Well, unless I was randomly dreaming again and quoting people who aren't actually real, I was just trying to interject into what was being said. I'm pretty sure that those whom I was quoting actually exist too. Of course, I do have a pretty creative imagination and may be making things up again. Sorry I pissed you off for randomly interjecting. Wouldn't be the first time I pissed someone off Ahhh! In fact, I'm getting quite good at it. I've had 28 years of practice. And trust me on this one. I am multi-talented: I can talk and piss you off at the same time.
 Ezzee
Msg: 119
Posted: 5/21/2006 4:25:55 PM

Personally when I meet a guy without a car I think Loser , not motivated, boring, or an alcoholic who lost his drivers license lol But that is just me ....good luck

I think by making this assumption you are discriminating against 10% of the population who are disabled and can not drive because of it. If that's what not having a car insinuates is being boring, not motivated, or an alcoholic, then I've broken the mold on every single one of these assumptions cause I am motivated, definitely not boring, and last time I checked, not an alcoholic.
 Ezzee
Msg: 137
Posted: 5/21/2006 6:10:47 PM

I'm sure she is a nice person, she just has to learn not to judge everyone based on a few guys who used her and treated her badly.

Unfortunately, this is how almost all stereotypes are formed. I feel sorry for her that she has had so many bad experiences with men. It realy sucks. But we aren't all that way. At least I don't think that I am.

If I were to believe that all women were the way that I have been treated by a few, I would think that all women were nymphomaniac sluts who only want to use you for your money and so they can get children so they can take the welfare system for a ride. They would all just randomly pick up and leave for no reason with no excuse, without telling anyone where they are going, not even there own family. And on top of that, they would also hide the children from the fathers of them, no matter how well the fathers treated them.

Of course, I know all women aren't like that, but that would be my stereotype of women if I judged just on a few experiences I had.
 Ezzee
Msg: 143
Posted: 5/23/2006 10:04:51 AM

Okay, Okay, I've decided to buy a car. There, happy????

Not really. But way to go. Congratulations on giving into the pressure of your peers and capitalism.
 Wild Heart
Msg: 144
Posted: 5/23/2006 1:46:06 PM

Okay, Okay, I've decided to buy a car. There, happy????

lmao, can you drive me to the store?
 wiserd
Msg: 147
view profile
History
Posted: 5/23/2006 2:26:21 PM
I think it will be awfully uncomfortable making out with someone on the back of your bike.
 Ezzee
Msg: 148
Posted: 5/23/2006 2:45:43 PM
Since everyone else is borrowing the car, can I borrow it too? I need a paperweight.
 chicaboom
Msg: 150
view profile
History
Posted: 5/23/2006 5:15:51 PM
i had a car , then my son got his license
i don't know where it went
 Country Lady
Msg: 151
Posted: 5/23/2006 5:19:59 PM
Perhaps I really am as "different" as everyone tells me

I am dating a guy with NO CAR. Even more strange - we live 2 hours apart (well an hour and 40 minutes at 3:30 a.m.)

And yes its awkward, and yes it takes planning for us to get together - but somehow we've managed to get every weekend together since this went from casual to serious. He is important enough to me for me to make the 2 hour drive each way twice every week.

If I was going to make my choice on whether a person had a car - I would have tossed away the one person in all those I have met who is my match on almost every other level. If he had chosen to limit the people he met to those he could access by public transit we would have been in the same boat.

Keep an open mind - a car should be the least of the criteria you are looking for when finding that one person.
 Ezzee
Msg: 152
Posted: 5/23/2006 5:20:58 PM

If he wasn't already considering getting another car, do you really think he would have posted his query about it. I think he was looking for validation not to get one. Perhaps he felt it wasn't there and just followed his thoughts on it.

I actually don't think I saw any inkling of that in the initial post, although it would seem that the assumption could be made. I think he was looking for validation to get one, and got it, in enourmous amounts, although I still feel that there was quite a bit of assinine assumption made about people who don't have cars.
 Splinter
Msg: 156
view profile
History
Posted: 5/24/2006 5:04:20 AM
Well I wouldn't date a guy who didn't have a car or a bike some kind of transportation but I live on PEI and if you want to go anywhere's you need a car. Not sure if it would matter if I lived in Toronto.
 Ezzee
Msg: 158
Posted: 5/24/2006 8:47:46 AM

Mine was an interpretation not an assumption.

It would be amazing how often those two end up being the same thing. Much like madness and brilliance.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Dating a guy with no car...