Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > is divorced, single or should guys tell the truth      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 lalby
Msg: 19
is divorced, single or should guys tell the truthPage 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
does it really matter as long as they havnt got a wife tucked away.
 gemini_lady_uk
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Being married then divorced brings a different and important perspective ..
Posted: 2/18/2010 3:48:30 AM
It is difficult to know what to put. To me single suggests never having been married. Divorced is you are single as in no longer married but why pretend that period in your life never existed.

If someone says they are single when they are separated then they are lying no matter how they try to justify it.
 *november babee*
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 2/18/2010 4:03:19 AM
IMO..
if you are legally entitled to be married (again) then you can call yourself single...
married= married
seperated = married
divorced= single/no longer married
so i would not feel anyone was lying or trying to decieve if they put single after the divorce was legally over and done and you have your papers to say so.....
 gemini_lady_uk
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 2/18/2010 4:13:28 AM
After my divorce I had an 8 year relationship but 'legally' I was still single/divorced. Had I been on here at that time does that mean I could have put single even though I was in a long term relationship - I would not have been lying under the context of the tick boxes, technically I would have been single, just not available.

It's all down to individual interpretations of a very grey area and there can never be a difinitave answer

I am divorced and have been for a long time, I was also separated for a long time and have had a long term relationship since. I am not ashamed of any of the situations and don't feel I need to hide or gloss over any of it or pretend the situations never occured.
 try1more
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Posted: 2/18/2010 9:52:18 AM
think i'll have to bookmark this thread just incase i forget why i cant be arsed with dating
 Strider886
Msg: 64
view profile
History
is divorced, single or should guys tell the truth
Posted: 2/23/2010 7:15:36 AM

I have my status as "separated" as that is what I am! If that sets alarm bells ringing for some people, thats ok with me too. Honesty is the best policy IMO, although I feel very much single, im mindful that I still have a legal procedure to go through. Im comfortable with my status and being "separated" and does not mean emotional baggage nor an ex-husband in tow!! Infact not a word exchanged in over a year ..... bliss!!!!

Hello :)

I wouldn't touch you with a ten foot barge pole my dear (no offense)!
Not because you live 150 miles away from me, not because of looks, because your certainly not unattractive!

BUT! your "separated".... I've seen it a million times! woman starts seeing someone else, ex appears on the scene acting all "psycho stalker" and poor new chap end's up being ditched because the woman got sick of all the pressure and got back with ex just to keep the piece.

Old friend of mine got into this situation, the womans husband (separated) hadn't seen her for over 18months, but as soon as she met my friend, the ex turned up and started making life EXTREMELY difficult... Following them in his car when they went away for a weekend, sitting outside her house, following my friend to his workplace, even calling her family/parents and getting them to apply pressure just to shut him up!

It's not good..
 Jo van
Msg: 66
is divorced, single or should guys tell the truth
Posted: 2/23/2010 10:22:53 AM
Well, despite being with my Ex for 27 years, and having two sons,
we never actually got married, although we referred to ourselves as "married".
Consequently, there was no divorce, and so, I would actually be telling a lie, if I described myself as "divorced". There may be others in the same position, no deceit.
I'm not sure the majority of people are trying to deceive anyone, if they have been divorced and describe themselves as "single". If people are serious, they will be honest, as any lie will quickly be revealed, if the relationship progresses.
Although, as others have said, there are doubtless a minority, who are trying to deceive, who may actually be, still married.
 Bodiesroadie
Msg: 70
view profile
History
Posted: 2/25/2010 9:33:56 AM

seperated = recently parted from ex and I'm a bit wary of these if I get a message.

Separated in my case= I've not slept under the same roof as my wife since 1980.

Labels mean nothing without the facts.
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > is divorced, single or should guys tell the truth