Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Has your taste in men/women changed?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Cheryl_2006
Msg: 1
Has your taste in men/women changed?Page 1 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
I was thinking back to when I was younger, and the type of men which interested me. Seems even after a lifetime of living I still gravitate to the same type of men. Anyone else find this, or have your tastes changed?
 Andrew Lee
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Has your taste in men/women changed?
Posted: 5/23/2006 4:36:19 AM
I am more particular, I look at a person's character in addition to their appearance.
 Cheryl_2006
Msg: 3
Posted: 5/23/2006 4:40:49 AM
I think most of us do more character checking and these preferences have changed, but I'm going back to the group types, jocks, bikers, hippies, business individuals, cheer leader, etc. Has this changed for you, or do you find yourself still attracted to individuals you once did?
 Andrew Lee
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 5/23/2006 4:43:36 AM
I don't have a "type" per se, I like a woman who is pretty, confident, groomed, has good character and a pleasant personality, some smarts and wisdom.
 shellsmack
Msg: 5
Posted: 5/23/2006 5:34:48 AM
When I was young, I liked men with clean cut hair and no hair on the chest.

NOW...I'm all about hair baby!!
 beachesofnc
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 5/23/2006 6:52:29 AM
Cheryl...I do the same thing ! I've always like my men " a little on the trashy side" but I married the typical conservative, responsible, clean cut type. Well that didn't work, so I'm back to being attracted to the "bad boys"...lol. Character, personality, humor....all matter to me and I look for those traits....but I'm hoping there'll be a roughneck with these traits somewhere out there for me...lol.
 Big Red Flag
Msg: 7
Posted: 5/23/2006 6:57:44 AM
I kept adding types until they were all inlcuded. I now go by avoidance of negative traits or circumstances specific to individuals. There are many different ways to be wonderful, attractive, enjoyable, loving. Each type has their own way. Dance with your partner and the music beats their drummer differently.
 RapunzelRapunzel
Msg: 8
Posted: 5/23/2006 9:01:02 AM
My tastes have changed and broadened. Maybe because I look mainly for vibrancy and a sense of humor. Looks help, but I no longer go for a certain type anymore.

Maybe I just like men better in general than I did ten years ago, dunno. Not that they deserve it, hee hee.

Rap
 Ron9
Msg: 9
Posted: 5/23/2006 10:22:37 AM
My “type” has stayed the same my entire life and I guess it has worked ok for me. Pretty much all of my relationships have been to the longish side. After the Billie meets Susie “phase” the relationships seem to have a pretty decent foundation. BUT ........ I have never been the “new relationship every few months type”. I wait and wait until I meet someone I really do want a relationship with.

Reading these forums I sometimes wonder if my “new relationships” count is about 10% of the number many people have. It almost seems like some people just jump in for the sexy start up - once the heat calms down they dump the person and go fishing again. This is VERY evident in all the - older gals for young guys - threads it is all over the place “I dated one that was 18 years younger - then one that was 10 years younger then one that was 3 years younger then one that 12 years younger then one that was my age then then then then then then”

Back directly on topic:

I am trying to force myself to widen my somewhat narrow “type” range. Since I have no interest in casual dating (and NONE in casual sex) I doubt I will get much off my normal type - I am looking for long term - not short term relationships.
 aScott4u
Msg: 10
Posted: 5/23/2006 10:39:20 AM
Changed tastes? Yep. Anymore it's if I think she's attractive and if she has a pulse!
 curtstl
Msg: 11
Posted: 5/23/2006 11:54:01 AM
I'm still attracted to the ladies that I just can't seem to keep my hands off of. That is after I get to know them of course. Would rather have a hot 40yo lady in bed then a 20yo. That took me a little while to figure out. Ladies in their upper 30s and 40 know what they want and how to get it. Sometimes even to a point of being agressive in and out of bed. I'm up for that...........
 Big Red Flag
Msg: 12
Posted: 5/23/2006 1:21:32 PM
That's how people choose single, since no relationship is immediately recognizeable as that one lasting one, nor can survive the interview process for it. In other words, single people find a good way to set their relationship dream on the shelf. They still have the dream. It sits safely as a reference, for purposes of explanation, rarely opened and always to the same page.

I would have not protested too much, had the relationship of my lifetime been forced upon me by circumstances against which I had no power to resist, and so I was not entirely closed to the possibility it could happen, but as things were, that didn't happen to me, so I guess it was never meant to be. But I was open to it, yes I was.
 triker1
Msg: 13
Posted: 5/23/2006 2:17:47 PM
yeah I would say mine have changed quite a bit I use to only limit myself to only those who were biker b**** kind since I have been a biker for well we wont go there but today I have open my sites to a wider point of view and Perspective
 tigger0104
Msg: 14
Posted: 5/23/2006 2:55:10 PM
I don't think so much that my taste in men has changed. I do think I place more emphasis on the things that are important to me now. When I was younger most of what I thought was important no longer matters....you know....would he make a good provider, good father to our children etc........well since I don't intend to have any more children and I'm quite capable of providing for myself....my emphasis has changed. Now I look for a man that can be a best friend to me, one that can laugh with me, cry with me, enjoy me for who I am today and be gutsy enough to stick around and see who I grow into tomorrow.
 Spirit50
Msg: 15
Posted: 5/23/2006 3:09:56 PM
... it has been so long since I have tasted a woman , I'm not sure .
 Cheryl_2006
Msg: 16
Posted: 5/23/2006 4:16:47 PM
Is interesting. I also asked a bunch of women at work the same question today and got similar responses. Some do, some didn't, some married one type and avoid them like the plague now. Only one said they would consider all types.

I don't find myself quite as open as I thought I was. I noticed when I'm flicking through 100's of pictures there are only a few types that make me stop regardless if the man is good looking or not. It's his overall makeup will make me bypass him or not. Is different if there is contact made, then I will look at more than the image and find myself more open to different types and look deeper.

I had always thought, for example, that if a man preferred a sophisticated woman he would be more inclined to be clicking on profiles of women whose overall appearance indicated that she was. Now I guess it would be safe to think this isn't necessarily the case for either men or women.
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 17
Posted: 5/23/2006 4:58:05 PM
I'm not that same person anymore, when I was younger I always seemed to prefer a kind
of bad boy type, they were always a lot more fun to be around. You know, the type that
kinda threw caution to the wind and were up for most anything. One guy in particular, wow
he was always surrounded by adoring females, me included. But when were younger we
always tend to look for excitement and some sort of element of danger, its what part of
being young is all about. My tastes have changed because I have grown up and now I
gravitate towards someone who knows who he is, someone who is self-assured & confident
with just a little smidge of bad boy
 Cheryl_2006
Msg: 18
Posted: 5/24/2006 4:40:05 PM

i have given up the search for a kind and loving woman and decided i will just seek out one that i absolutely hate and buy her a house,,,,,does that sound bitter?

Yes
 Ron9
Msg: 19
Posted: 5/24/2006 4:44:09 PM
Oh you’re taking the Rod Stewart path. Yup it would save lots of time and be much cheaper in the long run. I paid for this house as I built it and owed very little on it when I got married - now it is half hers. Now THAT was thinking ahead (not on my side).
 Cheryl_2006
Msg: 20
Posted: 5/24/2006 4:48:35 PM
Hmmm, guess I'm doing this wrong. Leaving him the house, his toys, his things, his pension, his everything. Nah, he can have it... I just wanna be free.
 Ron9
Msg: 21
Posted: 5/24/2006 4:51:35 PM
Yeah Diane Lane - she can have the other half is she wants it. She could use it for a storage shed or something.
 Dahliakitten
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 5/24/2006 6:26:00 PM
I don't hear any men wanting an old fashioned gal? You guys like them fast and nasty?

I would never want to date nor marry a comedian. But you, mr.writeguy, have intellect as well as humor. Not too many can handle both. Most come off crass and only trashy. No offence to your profession dude. You look like a movie star. What's his name. And that crack of telling your daughters of catching a disease, it worked on my son. til he was 19 y/o. And he married his first lady. For 7 years. Then she left the two kids with him. Life was too hard being a mom for her. Anyways, my 27 y/o son just got engaged to an old fashioned gal. Maybe thats what you need. I don't know. Best of luck to you mr.writeguy.

Old fashioned gals last forever. I also am an old fashioned gal. I'm taken too. So far, its good and steady with mr. quality guy.
 Lynlin1957
Msg: 23
Posted: 5/24/2006 7:29:25 PM
My tastes haven't really changed. I've always paid more attention to what the person was about rather than how he looked and since I was widowed, not divorced, I guess I don't really avoid any one particular type. Well, maybe the bossy, I know it all and you don't type. But then I avoid that type regardless of the person's gender. For the rest, I look for similar ethics and attitudes (not too similar though, otherwise there would be nothing to "make up" from).
 Halfevl333
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 5/24/2006 8:34:12 PM
I do like older women than I did back 10 or 15 years ago. Now I am looking for someone more my age... But, I still am attracted to the Biker chic type or the Goth type. Something about all that black clothing and black leather that is just a super turn on... And a woman in black nail polish and lipstick can really get my motor running. I still have a secret crush on Stevie Nicks and Grace Slick which I had years ago...I had a super crush on Joan Jett back when she had black hair and wore all that leather... So... I don't know, I think I still have the same taste..its just that the women I liked have aged along with me... for the most part anyway... Unfortunately, many of them have changed and gotten out of the Goth or Biker look and gone mainstream... sigh...

Sheezadyme
Msg: 25
Posted: 5/26/2006 6:07:06 AM
Most definately, I'm really loving the older gentlemen now mid-40's and up for me!
"The older the berry the sweeter the juice!"
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Has your taste in men/women changed?