Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > is it ok to laugh at the handicaped?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Kid Wicked
Msg: 1
is it ok to laugh at the handicaped?Page 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
if a car drives through a puddle and soaks me as i walk down the sidewalk it's funny.

what if it happened to a guy in a wheelchair?

if a guy with touret's syndrom yells out "i poop my pants firetruck assh*le" in safeway,is it funny?
 Fluffy Handcuffs
Msg: 2
is it ok to laugh at the handicaped?
Posted: 5/25/2006 5:41:25 PM
actually we'd just be laughing at you... puddle or not
 spudotoole
Msg: 3
Posted: 5/25/2006 5:47:23 PM
Well, if we meet. Why don't you try it. But first, you better know how to run reallllllllllllllly fast.
 c note
Msg: 4
Posted: 5/25/2006 5:47:27 PM
Handicapped or not, someone using the word "***hole" is always funny. Especially in Safeway.

No, it's wrong. Really, really wrong. If you must laugh, make sure no one notices.
 Brad II
Msg: 5
Posted: 5/25/2006 5:49:59 PM
guess it comes down to hypersensitivity...

i don't care who it is...someone getting splashed by a bus is funny...unless it's me. then it sucks.

and tourettes? i have voluntary tourettes, so that's cool too.
 Kid Wicked
Msg: 6
Posted: 5/25/2006 5:50:59 PM
why is it wrong?
 vancouver40
Msg: 7
Posted: 5/25/2006 5:51:49 PM
what if the guy in the wheelchair drives through the puddle and soaks the guy with tourette's?

that might be kinda funny
 halokitty
Msg: 8
Posted: 5/25/2006 5:52:43 PM
Can I have voluntary tourettes? DO you think my boss would understand if I started cursing from my cubicle?
 Crazy_Blonde
Msg: 9
Posted: 5/25/2006 5:58:09 PM
Incredible that this is a subject that even needs to be discussed. I think laughing at anyones misfortune is in bad taste, and shows not only lack of character, but lack of class.

Now would you like me to laugh at your handicape of lack of character or class, oh I know what your reponse would be..Like who gives a flying "f___K:.
 X™
Msg: 10
Posted: 5/25/2006 6:02:20 PM
please ,are you trying to tell me crazy that if you watched america's funniest videos. You would never laugh?
 whodeletedme
Msg: 11
Posted: 5/25/2006 6:08:26 PM
we all laugh at AFV,... even the guys getting sacked by a tree/bat/dog or whatever ... even though we KNOW it hurt like 10 bears and probably did some damage!! Some of those vidoes look horribly nasty but are funny because we don't see the "after" clip when the camera goes off.

I think her point was laughing at disadvantaged people isn't.
EDIT: VVVVVVVV ok X n/m ~sigh~
 Crazy_Blonde
Msg: 12
Posted: 5/25/2006 6:08:34 PM
Yeah well actually X, you would be surprised, I have an old TV, that is not hooked up to any cablevision, I use it only to put in older vcr tapes for my excersise program.

I am not a TV type of person, I have seen America's funniest videos, and do not find someone falling down or getting hit, or being scared to be hillarious at all. I saw one show along long time ago, where someone threw something on a persons back, dang I would have had a heart attack, and what would be so funny about that?

Sorry I just do not see the humour in it at all...

I do however, love watching the antics of the animals...and that usually entails nothing hurtful
 X™
Msg: 13
Posted: 5/25/2006 6:13:02 PM

Incredible that this is a subject that even needs to be discussed. I think laughing at anyones misfortune is in bad taste, and shows not only lack of character, but lack of class.

I was just refereing to that

yuh someone getting whacked in the sack is super funny

I just don;t see how it shows lack of character and class?

but I respect that you don;t find it funny
 Kid Wicked
Msg: 14
Posted: 5/25/2006 6:20:50 PM
for the record,there IS a point to this thread.i'll reveal it later.

here's a topical example:

everyone laughs or cringes at the sh*tty singers on american idol.
would you laugh at a sh*tty singer with down's syndrom?
 _Heather
Msg: 15
Posted: 5/25/2006 6:55:52 PM
yeah, of course
 Drew_BNWT
Msg: 16
Posted: 5/25/2006 7:00:10 PM
Wow Crazy_Blonde ....you must have a great sense of humor ! I didn't see in the main subject that anyone is actualy died . Let me tell you......I've been hurt a few times falling and a was laughing with my friends ....specialy after a few months or years when we start telling the story .....So I think yes it is funny ...But hey what do I know ...even a tumb can make me laugh ....
 TrystofLime
Msg: 17
Posted: 5/25/2006 7:07:24 PM
I think it's ok to laugh at a funny situation - the examples given are funny regardless of the mental or physical capacity of the people involved. I wouldn't laugh at a handicapped person because he or she is handicapped, but if something funny happens, I'm not going to feel bad about laughing. I laugh at my own strange antics and circumstances on a regular basis, and if something funny happens to me, I expect to get some laughs...

Actually, if I got splashed by a bus or hit by a softball (as long as it didn't seriously injure me) I'd probably be miffed if a few people weren't chuckling. I sure as hell would be! ;)
 whodeletedme
Msg: 18
Posted: 5/25/2006 7:54:37 PM
if the person driving the truck purposely soaks the guy "because" he's handicapped,... NO that isn't funny. Now if he's driving down the road and just happens to soak someone because he can't get out of the way. YUP that's OH MAN that's funny in a cringing kind of way,. just glad it isn't you feeling. HAHAHA...right? Like the bridal party falling onto/into the wedding cake,... HORRORS!!!!!!! but HYSTERICAL and memorable for sure!
 mistersl
Msg: 19
Posted: 5/25/2006 10:20:49 PM
Not sure I'd be laughing at anyone that got soaked by a bus because that'd just suck. As for the rest of the examples given, like AFV, I'd laugh at pretty much anyone regardless of their situation. We're all just people and crap happens to all of us that's worth laughing about. People are way too sensetive these days.
 apparently_so
Msg: 20
Posted: 5/25/2006 10:31:28 PM
I laugh at a handicapped person all the time...

...relax. My mom has MS, and uses a walker or a scooter to get around, and if something funny happens to her, I'll laugh my azz off (so long as she's not seriously injured). But I'd never laugh at her or anyone else in her position simply for their misfortune, and I'll have very strong words with anyone who says mean things 'bout my mama!
 Harry Peter
Msg: 21
Posted: 5/25/2006 10:42:24 PM
""i poop my pants firetruck assh*le" in safeway,is it funny?"

That's not what I said goob. I said, "I poop pie-ants, liar-fuk ***hole" Least you got the ***hole part right. Butt fetish? Stay away from my boogers.

Oh. And my mom said screw you for making fun of her getting splashy-splashed. /tic Turd monkey butt fukwad!
 rain_city
Msg: 22
Posted: 5/25/2006 10:47:38 PM
At the exact moment? No... it's not funny -- it's begets concious interaction.

1 hour, 3 weeks, a year later... hell yeah it's funny. Once we've cleared ourselves of immediacy... history makes a good story.
 juicy kue
Msg: 23
Posted: 5/25/2006 11:35:27 PM
My question is how do you tell the person is handicapped???

Downs yea.. okay there are some obvious physical characteristics but most disabilities arent revealed through physical traits
 Hal 9000
Msg: 24
Posted: 5/25/2006 11:50:26 PM
I have no qualms pretending I'm handicapped to get out of an awkward situation, like for example, a date with someone I don't know or detest. This seems a perfectly legitimate cop out.
 Internetainment
Msg: 25
Posted: 5/25/2006 11:52:58 PM
Someone elses misfortune means it isn't my misfortune.
I'm an equal opportunist, so handi-capped or not, I'd still laugh.
Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > is it ok to laugh at the handicaped?