Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Tall=Intimidating?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 wolfskshuntress
Msg: 6
Tall=Intimidating?Page 1 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
Msg 1, i am very attracted to taller women .. not intimidated in the least .. unless they have an Adams apple ..
 wiserd
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Tall=Intimidating?
Posted: 5/26/2006 9:21:15 AM
Well said BigSmile!
 Say Hi to David
Msg: 12
Tall=Intimidating?
Posted: 5/26/2006 9:34:46 AM
I'm 5'8". I've dated 6'0", 6'1" and even 6'3".

The thing that all of them said was that the men they normally were involved with were almost always athletes and many didn't have a lot beyond that. But all this experience was when I was much younger (early 20s) so don't really know about if it's still the case with men today.

To me, not intimidating at all. But to others who already have self-confidence issues, a tall woman probably can be too much. [would have sent a private note but you only want to hear from boys in Canada]
 JWA
Msg: 14
Tall=Intimidating?
Posted: 5/26/2006 9:36:54 AM
Well, despite all the biological and environmental reasons younger women are taller I don't think most men are the least bit "intimidated" by someone taller. In fact, most taller women have the hang up (or preference) that their potential men be taller than themselves. Like has already been said it's not men who have the "problem". Also, in general I don't think most adult men are "intimidated" by any sort of woman---that topic has been done to death here: taller, smarter, better educated, more money and blah blah blah........

In your case I'd have to say you're one VERY attractive, fabulously well put together young woman I've seen in one helluva long time----here or anywhere! Just simply gorgeous!! Your profile on the other hand isn't quite as "attractive". Coming from me in particular that's not very important but to those you seek to attract might feel the same way. I'm not bashing you or your profile but it's waaaaaaaay too wordy and you've got more "must haves" than are normal, even on the internet! It's your right to post whatever you want----but by excluding so many your chances of finding anyone are reduced proportionally. That's just an old, short man's opinion though! LOL

I was married to a woman 5'10" and she actually pursued ME! Since most women her height had never expressed any interest I never imagined or fantasized she'd ever be interested. Since then I don't let something like that bother me. If that's the only "detracting" thing about me then so be it. I didn't have much say in how tall I'd be but I can choose who I would approach if interested!

Hope you get some rest---sounds like you're working waaaaaaaay too much!!
 Pragmatic
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Tall=Intimidating?
Posted: 5/26/2006 12:05:01 PM
Not at all intimidated.

Hieght has little to do with "the person" that appeals to me..that is the heart, mind, enthusiasm and mindfullness of others.

Howedver, I have expereinced more of a reluctance by women to date shorter men than the other way around. It's almost a social rule that woman + heels msut be equal or shorter than the dat (normally men...but these days ..humm)
 Blanka
Msg: 21
Tall=Intimidating?
Posted: 5/26/2006 2:28:53 PM
From my experience, the woman in a Tall Woman/Short Man relationship are the ones with the biggest issues.

Men are cool with the height difference.
 Adam Taylor
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Tall=Intimidating?
Posted: 5/26/2006 2:40:28 PM
I don't find them intimidating at all.
In fact... I like tall women.
It's nice being able to look the woman I love in the eye. ;)
 I_Dichotomy
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Tall=Intimidating?
Posted: 5/26/2006 2:48:04 PM
It comes down to how we are made. At the core, we still have the gender identification man protector, woman protected. I'm not saying that this is an absolute driving force, as it most certainly is not, but it does rear it's head. I'm 6'1, and have as yet dated a woman as tall as me or taller. Don't know why it hasn't happend, but it hasn't. Closest I've come is 5'9". I happen to find women of all heights attractive, provided they have other things to draw me. Can't explain what those are, but I know what turns my head.
It's the same reason why we generally pick out healthy looking women. Continuation of the species is a strong, unseen need.

Gru.
 captnjimbo
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Tall=Intimidating?
Posted: 5/26/2006 4:22:25 PM
Isn't basing a potiential on height staying in the shallow end of the pool? As a guy, and around guys, height of a potiential date has never been based on their height. Most guys would probably consider a lady using a qualifier of height as pretty shallow.
 Gmaverick
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Tall=Intimidating?
Posted: 5/26/2006 6:07:11 PM
No, I had a girlfriend once who was like 2 inches taller, it wasn't an issue at all.
 KAPOW!!
Msg: 42
Tall=Intimidating?
Posted: 5/27/2006 8:10:01 PM
Exactly what is a "tall" woman?
 questing41
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Tall=Intimidating?
Posted: 5/27/2006 10:02:27 PM
I think it's all been said : ) But...

In my opinion someone who is tall for a woman is *great*.. (at least as far as I find height attractive, and I don't really think it's huge either way... so to speak :)

Someone who is taller than me might take some getting used to, but I don't think it would be a problem...
 ChicagoStyle
Msg: 52
view profile
History
Tall=Intimidating?
Posted: 6/8/2006 8:20:48 PM
I'm 6' 9", so finding a women that's taller than me will probably never happen. But, I can see how a shorter guy might be alittle intimated by a taller woman, mostly because of the ideals that society has put in us. The "guy is suppoesed to be taller than the girl" rule. And also, alot of women even say that they want a guy as tall as, or taller than them. So, alot of shorter guys have that on their mind and it sticks with them. And being tall and beautiful doesn't help.

Also, it's funny, but i don't think most women are intimated at all by a tall guy. Most of the women that approach me are 5' 4" to 5' 6". I once dated a girl who was 5' 3".
 wanttotalktoyou
Msg: 54
Tall=Intimidating?
Posted: 6/8/2006 9:20:13 PM
height isn't that big a deal to me. I can't say I ever found a tall woman intimidating.
 secrtluvr
Msg: 56
Tall=Intimidating?
Posted: 6/9/2006 12:28:43 AM
Not intimidating...just not exciting.
 knoxjbp
Msg: 57
Tall=Intimidating?
Posted: 6/9/2006 7:07:59 AM
I'm sorry height intimidates period; regardless of sex. I'm 6'1 190lb and I know what it's like to be the shortest guy around; my older brother is 6'9 270lb and my younger brother is 6'7 230lb. Oh and having played college and pro basketball i've been surrounded by quite a few really tall guys. They intimidate that's just the way it is. It's no different with women; now some men have the security to deal with that issue but it is an issue they deal with. Personally I think long legs on a woman is sexy as h*ll
 pupdaddy12003
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Tall=Intimidating?
Posted: 12/19/2007 8:06:09 AM
..Hey...bring on the tall girls...I can't be choosy..LOL...I'm shorter than any girl in 4 inch heels that's over 5'4" in height...so...unless I want to limit myself to women shorter than that (who almost always want a man who's over 5'10" tall) I wouldn't ever have a date.
..Now here's the kicker...what if I did find a tall woman that I loved enough to have a child with?..I'm thinkin'..."GREAT"...Now my kids have at least a 50/50 chance of being taller than me...Ya can't beat that with a stick...LOL So...find me a tall girl without a hangup about dating a shorter guy...and if she's compatible in other ways..I'd be the happiest camper on the planet...
 scorpiomover
Msg: 68
view profile
History
Tall=Intimidating?
Posted: 12/19/2007 10:35:36 AM

Aaaah...the 'short-man-syndrome'....but that topic has been done to death as well...
Yes. Scientists proved that there is only "tall-man" syndrome. Anything else is a stereotype.

Consider this:
1) Most women will now sleep with a tall man on the first date, so many, many of those men have become big-headed and only use women, so women never have a relationship with those men.
2) Most women will now not even date a man their height, so women never have a relationship with those men either.
3) Many young, attractive women are now open to the idea of sleeping with women, despite the fact that only 10% of women are lesbians, and even less are truly bisexual.

This all helps lesbians to get lots of sex. But it stops straight women, or straight men, from having real relationships.
 scorpiomover
Msg: 70
view profile
History
Tall=Intimidating?
Posted: 12/19/2007 11:16:32 AM

And your syndrome was..........?
According to people who know me, a lack of confidence. But not increased aggression.
 Hot Buttered Soul
Msg: 74
Tall=Intimidating?
Posted: 12/19/2007 12:23:06 PM
kato wrote:

Ive never understood why somebody's height is such an issue in society these days?

Actually it isn't an issue.. only on online dating sites.

where people point out their ideals. well some do....
 jf468
Msg: 75
Tall=Intimidating?
Posted: 12/19/2007 12:24:00 PM
if ya got some real scientific study you can reference please do quote it

Here is a link to a study that analyzed women's height requirements on a dating site. Most women who were 5' 9" or shorter ( on that dating site ) wouldn't a date man that is shorter than she is. Some women who were 5' 10" or 5' 11" would date a shorter man, but a solid majority of them wouldn't date a shorter man. The majority of women that are 6 ft or taller would date a shorter man. Keep in mind, 95% of women are under 5'9".

http://www.shortsupport.org/Research/personals.html
 GeneralizingNow
Msg: 77
Tall=Intimidating?
Posted: 12/19/2007 12:35:12 PM
I have two cousins, both sisters. One is REALLY short, under 5 ft, due to juvie diabetes. Her sister is 6'1".

The short one said, "I would never date a guy shorter than I am". DUH--quite frankly, you'd be really unlikely to find one!
The taller one then replied, "Oh, I have no problem with that!" Of course not, because if she DID she'd be whittling out about 70% of her prosepctive mates!

I'm 5'10" and while I prefer a man to be taller than myself--call me "culturally biased"--I have dated quite a few men who were shorter, and neither of us gave it much thought.
 northeast25
Msg: 80
Tall=Intimidating?
Posted: 12/19/2007 1:57:00 PM

I was quite happy to see what I have believed and said is true. Below copied from the site that was provided with a study. I quote, "As the woman's height increases, so does her propensity to prefer a shorter man. "
WOMAN'S HEIGHT USA SAME OR SHORTER (started from my height)

1. Probably only 1% ( or less ) of women are at least 5' 11" or taller.
2. It would make sense that a higher percentage of taller woman would date a shorter man because there are more men that are shorter than the taller women. If a tall woman only went after taller men, then her dating pool would be limited.
3. According to the study, there is a huge difference between dating a man that is same height or shorter and dating a shorter man. The first column is the woman's height. The second column is the percentage of women who would date a shorter man. The third column is the percentage of women that would date a man the same height or shorter. Many taller woman might date a man that is the same height, but the majority of women between 5'6" and 5'11" ( taller than average ) still wouldn't date a shorter man. Most very tall women wouldn't date a man that is more than 1-2 inches shorter than them.

5' 6" 8% 23%
5' 7" 13% 32%
5' 8" 14% 37%
5' 9" 19% 45%
5' 10" 25% 60%
5' 11" 38% 71%
6' 0" 51% 88%
 scorpiomover
Msg: 84
view profile
History
Tall=Intimidating?
Posted: 12/19/2007 4:52:04 PM

So Statistician ScorpioMover, perhaps you can let the rest of us know how you discovered this absolutely intriguing bit of information. You might want to publish a paper on it. Perhaps you should also consider informing tall men so they can "hit up" the tall ones when they just want some action.
POF. It was a woman poster who put that 60% of women will now sleep on a first date, and plenty of women posted they do that, and have no problem with it. Most female posters on POF put that they won't date men who are shorter than they are in heels. The fact is, that most of the male posters seem to me, to be aware that so many women will date only taller men, and will sleep with a man on the first date. So, it seems to me that tall men know they can also date tall women, and STILL CHOOSE TO DATE SMALLER WOMEN! If I would publish a paper on this, it would be about the fact that tall women don't even get the number of hook-ups that shorter women get, even if they want them!

Oh, and I LOVE being tall.
Good for you.
 scorpiomover
Msg: 86
view profile
History
Tall=Intimidating?
Posted: 12/19/2007 5:49:14 PM

"Smart people don't get tired when they read something stupid. They get annoyed".
Still true.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Tall=Intimidating?