Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Hipper than our kids      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 RDtoo
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Hipper than our kidsPage 1 of 1    
I saw a book a number of years back titled "Hipper than our kids". The author attempted to argue that the baby boomer generation was hipper, cooler, whatever word you want to use, than the generation that came after. I wish I would have read that book because I am starting to believe that he was right. Younger people may be smarter than we were, but most of them would have been considered nerds when I was young. What do you think?
 shellyt63
Msg: 2
Hipper than our kids
Posted: 5/29/2006 9:16:08 AM
I know I'm cooler than my kids... no doubt. They wear thier clothes hanging off and I know more about the music they listen to than they do.. went and saw kid rock thought i would be the oldest person there but nooooooo. our generation does certainly rock...
 nipoleon
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Hipper than our kids
Posted: 5/29/2006 12:34:20 PM
I think the younger generation is bewildered by how come they can't shock us the way we did our parents.
They disgust us, but they don't shock us.
It must be terribly frustrating for the little **stards.
 Ron9
Msg: 4
Hipper than our kids
Posted: 3/17/2007 3:17:18 PM
I soooooooooooo blow away my two daughters (26 & 28) when it comes to the grasp of almost anything. Including hi tech anything or basic logic anything - or life anything - mechanical/electrical anything - grass - fish and everything else.

They both have formal educations - one of them is sure she knows everything (smart as a whip but don't know chit lol). She is about to get her BA in nursing and when I talk about anything medical she goes to the net and cuts and paste something lol. I don't even ask her anything anymore - I know more than she does even about medical things lol.

Their husbands are not much different - but are up to date on what the focus on. One in building/constrution the other one in Civil Engineering.

Our kids are smart - but that knowledge has not been put to use yet (has not soaked in yet) but it will.
 Ron9
Msg: 6
Hipper than our kids
Posted: 3/17/2007 4:01:17 PM
The kids will also grow in the common sense areas - I doubt I had much more when I was their age. Common sense comes with experience.
 djc02359
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Hipper than our kids
Posted: 3/17/2007 4:21:21 PM
My daughter wanted a tattoo for a birthday gift~ so I said- "Maybe I'll get one too!" She couldn't BELIEVE I went through with it! She took pictures and told all her friends. Hey, It's only skin! I happen to like it now- and almost think I may get another. My son thinks I'm pretty cool too. He told me he was bragging about me cuz I'm retiring in June and moving to Germany just to teach 3 more years! They both think I'm pretty hip-but they are definitely hip, too! I'd definitely hang out with them if I was still 20 something!
 JWA
Msg: 8
Hipper than our kids
Posted: 3/18/2007 4:18:42 AM

My daughter wanted a tattoo for a birthday gift~ so I said- "Maybe I'll get one too!" She couldn't BELIEVE I went through with it! She took pictures and told all her friends. Hey, It's only skin! I happen to like it now- and almost think I may get another. My son thinks I'm pretty cool too. He told me he was bragging about me cuz I'm retiring in June and moving to Germany just to teach 3 more years! They both think I'm pretty hip-but they are definitely hip, too! I'd definitely hang out with them if I was still 20 something!

This sort of nonsense cracks me up!! It sounds like this is a competition with kids or those of that age in relation to ourself. Why is it important or even all that desirable to be thought of as "hip" or "with it" to kids? Is it this "life affirming" thing we hear so much about?

Honestly when I see women who think they're so "with it" because they do things they see kids doing it puts me in mind of women who complain about men who don't or haven't yet grown up. How does having tattoos or listening to "hip" music make anyone cool-----and again why is it important to appear that way to your own kids?

I'd think trying to be an adult and exhibit the better traits of maturity as well as setting good examples would be a priority? I've heard over and over how kids need role models or parents-----NOT parents who want to be their "best friends".

Maybe I'm not young enough to "get it"???? LOL
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Hipper than our kids