Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Why do people get fat after marriage?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Trishnaa
Msg: 1
Why do people get fat after marriage?Page 1 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
Anyone know why?This is a pattern in almost anyone's life.lol.What is the reason behind it?
 Nomdeplume
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Why do people get fat after marriage?
Posted: 6/2/2006 10:53:37 AM
Contentment.... and believing they are no longer in competition for a partner.

Nom
 thetangypanda
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 6/2/2006 10:56:21 AM
Well maybe its because there are two people cooking instead of one? Or maybe different diet habits. After my divorce, I know I have lost weight. Not only is there not as much cooking, but my ex drank alot of soda and I drink very very very very little. So that means fewer empty calories around the house.
 Trishnaa
Msg: 4
Posted: 6/2/2006 10:57:06 AM
What has age to do with being fat?I'm 19 but I'm not perfect.No one is.
That was just a question...no need to get defensive.Seriously...why do people get fat after marriage?

By the way, all those answers made sense, but anyone has anything that makes more sense.
 *buzz*
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 6/2/2006 11:25:44 AM
Rely on the only activity after the hard day work. Does it happen then? Unlikely. Too tired and full of excuses.
 Adam Taylor
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 6/2/2006 11:26:50 AM
Only some people gain weight after getting married. Because they tend to care less about keeping themselves fit now that they've made their catch. :p

Myself, I like to make sure I stay nice and healthy.
And I've been in relationships where my girlfriend has been an amazing chef, and kept whipping up wonderful creations... and I ended up eating 3 times more than I normally would. :p
I just excercise more to make up for it.

Plus, lovemaking is an excellent way to burn off calories. ;)
 Say Hi to David
Msg: 7
Posted: 6/2/2006 11:57:15 AM
* They think they don't have to work for it because they already won.
* They eat too much because dating involved dining often so eat at home together nightly.
* They can blame the weight on something else besides self-control...lack of time.
______

Why do people get fat regardless of marriage?

* They don't care about their own bodies enough to realize you only get ONE trip and ONE vessel for it.
* They can't control much in their lives except the fork so they do it.
* They don't have any idea how to eat or exercise.
* They are in denial that they are overweight or that it's even a problem.
 Trishnaa
Msg: 8
Posted: 6/2/2006 12:03:01 PM
^^^Thanks.That makes a lot more sense.
 carrie bradshaw
Msg: 9
Posted: 6/2/2006 12:10:50 PM
There are many reasons why people gain weight. I know that the media likes to make us think that married people gain more weight than single people. How accurate is that? I mean, do we just notice the fat married people because in a way, we are programmed to?
I know a lot of thin married people and I know a lot of fat married people. Can we be 100% certain that one has to do with the other.
People on a whole gain weight for the same reasons.
1. They become lazy- they stop exercising
2. They are unhappy and begin to eat emotionally
3. They over eat or take up a poor diet
4. They in way, stop caring about their appearance
I do not think that marriage makes people fat. Then again, I'm skinny and not married so what do I know...
~Carrie B.
 Adam Taylor
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 6/2/2006 12:10:56 PM
Fortunately wannabe writer... you look wonderful. ;)
 Say Hi to David
Msg: 11
Posted: 6/2/2006 12:18:48 PM
Carrie Bradshaw
I know that the media likes to make us think that married people gain more weight than single people. How accurate is that?

There is actually a large body of data on this. I don't recall the specific source but I do remember two general points:

* People gain weight after marriage far greater than age-matched singles.
* Women gain more weight after marriage (lbs. and % of body weight).
 Mani
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 6/2/2006 12:21:02 PM
people get fat cause they are lazy (except for medical reasons) and have low self esteem. i don't know if there is a true correlation between getting maried and putting on the weigth, but if there is, i would say it's only because they get lazy, and get sucked into their own boring routine.
 mogrl
Msg: 13
Posted: 6/2/2006 12:26:09 PM
not all married people get fat ,not all single people are in shape or skinny.
why do some people gain weight after they quit smoking
why do some women gain weight after having kids

its life,shit happens.
 Country Lady
Msg: 14
Posted: 6/2/2006 12:35:36 PM
I can tell you my current experience and it has nothing to do with being lazy or not caring.

Its trying to adapt your habits to accomodate someone else in your life.

I've worked very hard at losing weight and to my horror have gained some back in the past few weeks, so I've had to have a serious talk with my boyfriend about his habits and how they are affecting me.

I need to eat 6 times a day to keep my metabolism up. If I eat less, my body goes into starvation mode and stores every mouthful. I also need to not eat after 8 at night. Plus I need to keep up a certain level of activity.

Now I have someone else in my life who is the exact opposite - has trouble keeping weight on and has to eat a high calorie/high fat diet. Jack Spratt and his wife in reverse.

I am not eating his diet - in fact everything in the house is high fat & low fat - non-fat yogurt next to high fat, lactose free non fat milk next to 18% cream, etc. I also bake for him but don't eat it myself.

But just the change in eating habits has set my metabolism back. I need to eat first thing in the morning - he doesn't want or need to eat till noon. I need to stop eating by 8 - he likes dinner late at night. I used to work out as soon as I got home from work, and eat immediately afterwards while the metabolic rate was still high - he wants to relax before eating.

I'm not unhappy (far from it). I haven't stopped caring about what I look like (the opposite is true). But we needed to agree that we will need to have some meals separately and that I will have lunch when he has breakfast. When I get home I will put in my time on the bike or gym, as much as I'd prefer to spend the time with him. Hopefully these little changes will reverse the trend quickly and not be difficult compromises for either of us.

But gaining weight back was not a conscious choice - losing it and then maintaining again will have to be.
 designingwoman
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 6/2/2006 9:27:08 PM
Because they are not treadmill potatoes. It's just as easy to watch TV while walking on a treadmill than it is sitting on a couch!
 Loverly_Me
Msg: 16
Posted: 6/2/2006 9:59:47 PM
For me, it was the exact same reasons as wannabe_writer: unhappiness! It had nothing to do with being comfortable, not feeling the need to look good or impress my ex any more, or eating sit down meals together every night - as he usually didn't get home from work till midnight or so most days...it was simply that I was completely stressed out in an unloving marriage, in a foreign country, with no support system.
 wiserd
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 6/2/2006 10:53:58 PM
studies show that one of the biggest giveaways of a wife having an affair is when she suddenly begins exercising, dieting and wearing silk undergarments instead of cotton.

http://www.somethingjewish.co.uk/articles/670_the_weight_issue.htm
 Mesnafugal
Msg: 18
Posted: 6/2/2006 11:04:36 PM
Hmmm.... becoming miserable comes to my mind!!!
 justmeinnc05
Msg: 19
Posted: 6/3/2006 2:54:36 AM
I have never understood this one. My weight has stayed the same regardless, other than when pregnanat.
 carrie bradshaw
Msg: 20
Posted: 6/3/2006 4:36:28 AM
I still think that it does not really make much difference if you are married or not. It all comes down to if you are happy or not. If you are married and happy, you will not gain weight. If you are single and happy, you will not gain weight. BUT, single or married, if you are depressed and eating as an outlet for this, you will gain weight.
Then again, maybe it does come down to lack of sex.
~Carrie B
 *buzz*
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 6/3/2006 5:02:49 AM
ROUTINE sets in. Tea times, Sunday lunches with parents-in-laws and generally less out & about as in the single days.

A while ago I read on a different forum how a person - within the marriage - changes and can become less attractive in the eyes of the spouse. Duties ~ house chores ~ juggling the multitasks... still though it made me wonder that if the one noticed the change in a partner, did he/she let it just go ...let him/her 'balloon'?
IMO, there is an underlaying problem to it.
 lordghost
Msg: 22
Posted: 6/3/2006 6:14:07 AM
The meals get better. Your routine in life becomes a little slower paced where meals are concerned. Family get togethers and other types of family stuff. But in the end I don't believe that the marriage is what makes you fat. While emotional ups and downs do effect your motivation to do things, it always comes back to that. You gain weight, and I am talking about regular weight gain on perfectly healthy people, because of lack of motivation to do something about that weight gain.
 GT99
Msg: 23
Posted: 6/3/2006 7:03:47 AM
marriage make you fat? some cases...maybe the person gets comfortable and lets themselves slide.

the majority of the time I think it has nothing to do with marriage and more with age, metabolism slows down
 ohsweetlaura
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 6/3/2006 3:40:08 PM
I think a lot of women could have gained weight after marriage because of getting pregnant. I gained 40 pounds with my first child, lost 20 of it and got pregnant with number 2 when my oldest was only nine month olds, gained about 40 pounds again, lost only half of it then was pregnant with number 3, ending up after her birth weighing 60 pounds more than before.

What's blatantly unfair is that with all that running around after three toddlers, I never lost the 60 pounds.
 who_the_fox
Msg: 26
Posted: 6/3/2006 3:49:07 PM
because I am an excellent cook and baker and he was a pig
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Why do people get fat after marriage?