Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ontario  > So I thought that it would be a great idea to help out other fellow f      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 wileyc
Msg: 8
view profile
History
So I thought that it would be a great idea to help out other fellow fishies with the do’s and don’t Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Do not go out to dinner for a first meeting. If she gets the phone call that her dog/cat/aunt died, let her pay for the coffee...

Cheers...

WileyC
 Holy Grail
Msg: 13
view profile
History
So I thought that it would be a great idea to help out other fellow fishies with the do’s and don’t
Posted: 6/4/2006 10:02:36 AM
In Regards to one of the dont's. I don't see a problem with someone talking about their Ex or Ex's. I'm pretty sure we all have them and expect our dates to have them too. It's amazing how much you can learn from a person about this topic, that you wouldn't learn otherwise.

My opinion.
 miss_jam76
Msg: 15
So I thought that it would be a great idea to help out other fellow fishies with the do’s and don’t
Posted: 6/4/2006 10:19:19 AM
I have to agree with Holygrail... if the topic comes up, briefly and (as much as you can) objectively touch on the relationship and reasons for breaking up but I think the point being made was don't talk ALL NIGHT about the ex's and go on and on about what a B**ch or a$$hole they were.

The most offensive thing I ever heard someone say on a first date (about his ex whom he had 2 daughters with) was "That conniving little c**t took me for every dime I had and I hope the B**tch rots in hell like every woman like her!"... I took it as meaning this man was incredibly immature, bitter and biased against women in general. I stood up and walked out, never looking back or returning his calls.

Questions about ex's is usually basic curiousity about how someone could be single when they seem so nice to that person (or even curiousity on how they landed in their present circumstances - ie: being a single parent) and it's natural - and how you present your relationships (and they theirs) is very telling about how they handle bad situations and past events (plus it usually offers up a few clues as to their personality and morals). We've all had good and bad experiences... the trick is learning from them and being objective and fair in what we remember happened and being free emotionally to move on...

GT99
Msg: 16
Posted: 6/4/2006 12:05:13 PM
very true...watch your drinks at all times.

I was drugged one night at a bar...I think it was a mistake and meant for someone else, but it was an interesting night to say the least.

it didnt knock me out but it sure was "different" when you dont know what causes it.

ladies...if you want to slip something in my drink....double the dose, talk to a vet and see what it takes to tranquilize a bear...I think I need the same dose

for the post...its good info...be safe, alot of crazies out there.

I would personally rather meet at my house if they were comfortable, but thats only because I live in a well gaurded fortress, my back up would save me if I cant defend myself lol
 Carrie_32
Msg: 17
Posted: 6/4/2006 12:15:53 PM
*takes notes - drugs enough to know out a bear....* ok got it! Sorry about the small dose there GT99! I'll do better next time

Basically most of whats been said is common sense with the rules. I didnt know we had to have a boss out here to label what we should and shouldn't do. I've lived on the edge a few times I guess and i've been just fine! We're adults, not 5 years old, i'm sure everyone knows how to keep safe to a point. If not, well, they're old enough to know better.
 GT99
Msg: 19
Posted: 6/4/2006 12:46:40 PM

*takes notes - drugs enough to know out a bear....* ok got it! Sorry about the small dose there GT99! I'll do better next time

so it WAS meant for me...funny, it was in kitchener too.

it was a strange night to say the least, what a feeling...never felt that before, but it wore off and I was able to continue...took quite a few hours though lol.

whoever did it prolly looked at me grab my drink and think "damn...wrong drink" what a waste of drugs lol, but who knows, maybe they got a good laugh out of it.
 miss_jam76
Msg: 21
Posted: 6/4/2006 3:03:30 PM
^^^^ Well said!

We were all newbies at some point, and it's easy to slip into a false sense of security after talking to someone for hours at a time for days/weeks/months on the phone or net. You're sharing your innermost personal thoughts and not seeing their reactions, body language etc. and truthfully, all you really know about someone you've met on the net is what they CHOOSE to tell you - and vice versa. On the other hand, if you want to increase your social life and meet new people (whether dating or just as friends) you have to take the plunge and get out there. We're all adults and make our own decisions, but lets face it... these are STRANGERS until we've gotten to know them better in person. A little common sense interjected by those who have been through it and can offer some strategies of self-protection is always useful... even if you've heard or thought of it yourself.

GT99
Msg: 22
Posted: 6/4/2006 3:15:19 PM
its true, the internet has come a long way, but there are horror stories...odds are it wont happen to you...but why take that risk...especially a female, it takes no effort to take extra precautions (as stated above) so why not do that.

better safe than sorry
 Carrie_32
Msg: 23
Posted: 6/4/2006 7:46:17 PM
Just funny that things have to be said like this to adults. You were taught those common sense things since you were kids (or hopefully you were!) It's the same stuff as if you met someone off the street and he asked you out. It's the same thing. It's always better to be safe than sorry but its funny when you listed that stuff out on here, made me laugh! I felt like a kid!

And if you cant take the negative comments towards your threads maybe dont post either? Forums are for everyones thoughts on your topic, i'm allowed to have my say too.
 Stillalicious
Msg: 24
Posted: 6/4/2006 7:56:09 PM
There is a whole section for this type of thing....its called dating advice and you will find it above your inbox. Here is the link:

http://www.plentyoffish.com/dating-advice.aspx
Show ALL Forums  > Ontario  > So I thought that it would be a great idea to help out other fellow fishies with the do’s and don’t