Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Guy I met online keeps asking for money      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 toni332
Msg: 1
Guy I met online keeps asking for moneyPage 1 of 12    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12)
I met this guy online and we started IMing each other. I don't know this guy at all, but he feels like we are soul mates and that we've known each for a long time.

Here's the thing. He supposily is a professor who just got his Ph.D. The school supposily sent him to Nigeria for a teaching position. He told me that he paid his own way to Africa and once he got there, decided that he didn't like being there anymore. He didn't like the conditions of the country or the poverty of the community he was in, therefore, he wanted to come home.

He told me that he used up all the funds he had and didn't have anything left. He also said he had a friend who owed him money, but this friend wouldn't pay him. He asked me to send him $500 to help him out. I told him no many times, but he keeps asking me. I keep telling him no. Why would I send money to a stranger in another country, whom I know nothing about? He gets mad at me and tells me I'm not acting like a Christian. He also calls me names and cusses me out, but yet he keeps asking me to send him money.

As anyone ever experienced this and what did you do about it? Any advice is helpful.
 tim3step
Msg: 2
Guy I met online keeps asking for money
Posted: 6/8/2006 6:11:49 PM
Um...sounds like sir scamalot!

Run Forrest, RUN!!!
 smilindad
Msg: 3
Posted: 6/8/2006 6:13:53 PM
don't send him no money it is a scam .block him then report his a$$ to pof unless you lick throwing away money.
 devilish1_m
Msg: 4
Posted: 6/8/2006 6:21:52 PM
Similar scam was on Judge Judy last month
 Smily_face
Msg: 5
Posted: 6/8/2006 6:23:08 PM
How naive can you be> Haven't you heard of all the Nigerian scammers yet? Just
block him from emailing you. He is not a proffesor and he doesn't give a hoot about you
(I am sorry for being so blunt), he just wants the money and that is his only aim so don't waste your time.
 lovableladywanted
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 6/8/2006 6:33:13 PM
It says right on the IM boxes not to send anyone money
 ctrydancer
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 6/8/2006 6:35:42 PM
This guy I met was an engineer that IM me and said he was from Virginia. He was sent to Nigeria to work and his daughter Lilian fell out of the hotel room. he did the same thing. I told him no and I blocked him.
 lucilou
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 6/8/2006 6:45:41 PM
Toni, glad that you didnt send any money, Same guy I met in Yahoo and same that he is well to do but something happen that he wanted to come to the States but needed money. I didnt send or give him money to nigeria , i saw his picture here in POF but lost his screen name, He is a very good looking man and I fall for him and i knew something is wrong. I even talked to his claim daugther on the phone, seems real and then at the end he wanted some money and i woke up. His name at yahoo is Brad Bailey. He deleted his profile. We need to report him. I am pretty sure that we are talking about the same man on this matter. He knew I am here too because i voted for his picture for 1 out of ten lol
 gentlewm
Msg: 9
Posted: 6/8/2006 6:47:09 PM
Toni,

Some of these posters have been very blunt, but they are also right. Just do a search on Nigeria and the word scams, this is big business in Nigeria. One posting, recommends that you get a name and report that person to the CIA office in Nigeria, in Lagos. Whatever you do, don't send money.
 chameleontat
Msg: 10
Posted: 6/8/2006 6:55:01 PM
Ya, I had a Russian shrink that wanted to come to America and marry me and she knew this by what she read in a profile. Darn, I couldn't send her any money cause I'm still paying for my seaside condo in Kansas.
 Jackie1954
Msg: 11
Posted: 6/8/2006 7:53:19 PM
Whatever picture he has posted or sent to you isn't even his... might not even be a man! This scam has been around forever! Don't you get the exact same introduction email from several "men"? The only thing that will be different about them is the contact information!
 TheBurningMan
Msg: 12
Posted: 6/8/2006 7:58:47 PM
Yep, block him and cease contact.

I have an african princess who is trying to escape persecution. She emails me a couple times a week; evidently during peace negotiations. They haven't gone well though, as she said warlords have executed most of her royal family. She has some wealth in a bank, but she says she cannot access the account since she is in flight in a war torn part of her country.

If he is still there, maybe with some match making they can hook up and live happily ever after :)
 jim bag
Msg: 13
Posted: 6/8/2006 8:45:45 PM
oh my lord .......... do you not understand this is a scam,
i swear half of Nigeria is running this scam and other half is sitting back laughing
 Mesnafugal
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 6/8/2006 8:47:19 PM
Who would want a man who constantly asked them for money anyways??? Even if it wasn't a scam (which it is) what kind of pathetice man has no means of making some extra money??? Why are you still even talking to this person? He is lying to you and he is trying to find a weak spot with you. If you give him any information he will find a way to use it against you. Don't let him know anything about your bank, your credit cards or personal information... as everyone else said:

RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN... BLOCK him!!!
 ChicagoStyle
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 6/8/2006 8:48:23 PM

As anyone ever experienced this and what did you do about it? Any advice is helpful.

I once got a message on Yahoo from someone in Africa who said she needed money and that she was poor, but wanted to come to America and get an education, blah, blah, blah.

I laughed to myself as it was an obvious scam. She didn't want $500, but still, i don't know you from Adam. I got my own problems. So, I started messing with him/her. Funny, once i said, "let me grab my credit card", their english got alot better. So, i messed with them for a few minutes(it was a slow and boring Sunday afternoon), giving them made up Credit card numbers, made up names/address. He/she finally got pissed and left me alone.

OK, now as far as advice. You really don't need any. It's obvious this is a scam. So, ALL you have to do is BLOCK the person. Why do you keep writing them back, replying to there messages? If it's for a cheap laugh, then hey, have fun. But, if you seriously don't know what you should do. BLOCK THEM and move on.

P.S., I love it when they get mad. I usually say, OOoooo, your upset... Like I give a Fu*k. LOL
 cityguy30
Msg: 16
Posted: 6/8/2006 9:03:26 PM
to all the unwary souls out there.scammers try their gig with men and women too. they always sound so assuring,and everything,but they are after money. heres a good sign,at first the "relationship" focuses on you,but later it just is constantly about you sending them"funds"----is that an industry term or what? these people are full of bunk up to their eardrums. and the best part is you can make them an offer they couldnt refuse,and they still are blinded by greed instead of love. my advice----never send anyone money,unless you have met them in person,because if you do,you will hear that they need more and more,and each time it will be a new lie.
 iseekunique
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 6/8/2006 9:19:21 PM
Not to sound harsh, but if you send him money.. you deserve what you get. Second point, why on earth would you still even communicate with him if he curses you out.. come on smarten up chicky.
 ready51
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 6/8/2006 9:22:41 PM
I've started making a game of this. I go along for a while, just until they start to put the hook in, then I usually cuss them pretty good, hit ignore, and imagine them getting hot.lol
 digitalsanity
Msg: 19
Posted: 6/8/2006 9:22:56 PM
Block him. End of story.
 digitalsanity
Msg: 20
Posted: 6/8/2006 9:23:40 PM
Ooops sorry for the double post.
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 21
Posted: 6/8/2006 9:32:48 PM
OH DEAR !!!! My ex has a profile here ~ he just went through the exact same thing. (A woman of course.) OP ~ that is no soul-mate, I'm sorry. Block block block
 toyoux
Msg: 22
Posted: 6/8/2006 9:34:11 PM
OP: Toni, I tried to write you but I'm blocked by your restrictions...........

PLEASE don't feel bad about this!! BLOCK HIM AND MOVE ON!!!!

Dear god, you're a beautiful young lady and he's a .............never mind, it would get blocked anyway.

You KNOW what to do.
 daisie
Msg: 23
Posted: 6/8/2006 9:43:13 PM
man...you people are MEAN!!!! The poor guy is down on his luck. Just trying to do right and get an education and he's having a little bit of a bad time....give him some slack. SEND the guy some $$$$$. Sheeze, what's the big deal? While you're at it, send me some too.
 daisie
Msg: 24
Posted: 6/8/2006 10:02:37 PM
this reminds me of a similar scam I heard about in a news report a few months ago. SOme bozo in Africa beggin for money...I forget the details. But.....the guy here in the USA who was the intended "vicitm" played along. Oh my god it was sooooooooo funny.

He told the scammer all kinds of stuff to pretend he was truly planning to send the $$$. So once this scammer was hooked, then the American told him things like, "well how do I know this photo is really you??" I need you to send me a photo of you with a FISH on your head.

Serious as a train wreck...this scammer quick-like-a-bunny-rabbit...went and got a pic of himself holding a big ol slimy fish on his head and emailed it!!!!!! Oh man oh man....the story went on and on...but I only remember the FISH ont he HEAD photo which they did show on tv. hahaha...too funny. I wish someone would scam me!!!!!! I never have any fun.
 johnlogic
Msg: 25
Posted: 6/8/2006 10:08:36 PM
Clearly just a scam. Don't worry about the namecalling, just block the messages and report the user to the system administrators ASAP!

As for being Christian, remember that it is an attempt to live like Christ, and I'm sure he had enough self respect not to put up with this person either.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Guy I met online keeps asking for money