Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Smoked Chicken      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 atrkyhntr™
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Smoked ChickenPage 1 of 1    
I will be smoking some chicken in a day or two so thought I'd post my way of making the best I've ever tasted...

Brine

2 chickens; (3 1/2 lb. each)
1 gallon water
3/4 cup salt
2/3 cup sugar
3/4 cup soy sauce
1 teaspoon dried tarragon, thyme, black pepper
1/4 cup olive oil

Rub

1/4 cup salt (non-iodized)
3 Tbs Brown Sugar
2 Tbs Black Pepper
1 Tbs. Garlic Salt
1 Tbs. Paprika
1 Tbs. Chili Powder
1 Tsp. Sugar
1 Tsp. Onion Powder
1 Tsp. ground Cumin
1 Tsp. Red Pepper (optional)

Wash birds inside and out.

Cut the back out so they lay will lay flat breast side up. This will ensure an even brine soak and even smoking plus when done they look super...

Place the water in a large non-aluminum container,add the salt and sugar and stir to dissolve. Add soy sauce, tarragon, thyme and pepper.

Submerge birds in brine and weigh them down with a heavy plate so that they stay submerged. Refrigerate overnight.

Remove birds from brine and gently rinse inside and out.

Pat dry.

Reserve brine.

Start smoker (see types of wood below) add soaked wood or wood chips, then fill water pan with reserved brine and add water if needed.

Mix the rub ingredients by shaking in a large plastic bag or covered bowl. Rub over chicken on all sides especially any meat that is not covered by skin. Look the chicken over and when in doubt put more rub on you can never have too mcuh on...

Place chickens, breast side up, on top rack of smoker. Cover and smoke at 200 to 250F for approximately four hours, until internal temperature of the thickest part of the thigh reaches 170F.

Baste with olive oil after two hours.

If your in a hurry after all the smoke clears you can complete cooking in the oven by simply covering the chicken in foil and backing at 250-275 till internal temps reach 170F in the thickest part of the thigh. This helps when cooking alot of chickens and time is an issue. You will not be able to tell either way how they were finished, in oven or not, same end results.

I like the following wood or wood chips; apple, cherry, hickory, mesquite and I always try to use fresh cut wood when I can and chunks over chips. Chunks last longer and give off smoke for longer periods of time...

This is a very good way to smoke your chicken. Ask me any questions you may have I'll try to help...

Have fun
 catherine1984
Msg: 2
Smoked Chicken
Posted: 6/11/2006 1:45:57 PM
thats sounds amazin im allergic to onions anythin else u can use
 atrkyhntr™
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Smoked Chicken
Posted: 6/11/2006 2:09:04 PM
As with any recipe you can add/subtract anything to suit your taste or dietary needs...
Sure omit the onions and good eating !!
 Traditional Woman
Msg: 4
Smoked Chicken
Posted: 6/12/2006 3:55:46 PM
Yeah..........so many instructions........I need help!

sure does sound yummy though!
 virtualdude
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Smoked Chicken
Posted: 6/12/2006 4:57:08 PM
Sounds good! Quick question.. have you tried this without the skin? How does this work with or without skin on the chicken? I'm thinking boneless/skinless chicken breasts...
 onlylivewunce
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Smoked Chicken
Posted: 6/15/2006 10:21:23 PM
Sounds absolutely delicious!!!!!!....don't have a smoker...can you do this on the barbecue and if so...how long would I cook it for
 Classic Chassis
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Smoked Chicken
Posted: 6/17/2006 4:50:37 AM
can you do this on the barbecue and if so...how long would I cook it for

Here is a general guideline for smoking using either a gas or charcoal grill - the time mentioned is for 4 chicken breasts, bone-in.

3 handfuls wood chips - whatever flavour works with the meat/seafood/poultry.

Place 1 handful of wood chips (for a gas grill or all the wood chips if using a charcoal grill) into water to soak for 30 minutes. Prepare the barbecue for indirect grilling. Preheat the grill to high heat (500°F) on one side. Build smoke pouch. If using a gas grill, squeeze the excess water from the wood chips and place in the center of a large piece of foil. Add the dry chips and mix.

Close the foil around the chips sealing the package. Using a fork, poke holes in both sides of the package. Place directly over high heat source of the grill, close the lid and wait for smoke. If using charcoal, squeeze the excess water from the chips and sprinkle the chips directly into the fire bed.

When smoke starts to billow out, reduce the heat to 200ºF. Quickly lift the lid, oil the grill and place chicken on the cool side of the barbecue. Close the lid and leave to smoke for 1 hour.

Note: If you're near a Canadian Tire store they have a great little smoker box you can use on your barbecue - think it's around $10.00.
 atrkyhntr™
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Smoked Chicken
Posted: 6/17/2006 4:53:19 AM

Sounds good! Quick question.. have you tried this without the skin? How does this work with or without skin on the chicken? I'm thinking boneless/skinless chicken breasts...

You can smoke W/O the skin on but you should use cheese cloth soaked in the marinade to keep the chixn moist... Dry is bad... After the smoke clears finish cooking in your oven or on a grill its not a prob at all and something I do all the time...

Sounds absolutely delicious!!!!!!....don't have a smoker...can you do this on the barbecue and if so...how long would I cook it for

This can be done on a BBQ using indirect cooking... Place a small foil covered oven proof plate or bowl over the coals/fire place your soaked wood chips or chunks in there then cook the chixn on the other side where there is not heat. This cooks the chixn just like it was in an oven... Turn the temp down if using a gas grill to low if using charcoal when smoke clears complete cooking as you would when doing any other chixn recipe on the grill...

Enjoy...

If I dont not reply to your post shooting me a message is not a problem
 onlylivewunce
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Smoked Chicken
Posted: 6/17/2006 4:14:43 PM
Thanks Classic...

btw..your recipes...awesome!!! .. keep posing....tried the dipped potatoes in batter and omg..delicious...have a freezer full of fish waiting for that batter lol....didnt know you could buy little smokers...so tomorrow...first thing on my list is Canadian Tire.

take care :)
 onlylivewunce
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Smoked Chicken
Posted: 6/17/2006 4:24:40 PM
Thanks atrkyhntr

I cant wait to try this...great cook in the kitchen...barbecuing though hasnt been my thing, but gosh when I saw your recipe there...out came the brand new barbecue from inside the garage. I will let you know how it turns out...cross your fingers for me lol...
 Classic Chassis
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Smoked Chicken
Posted: 6/17/2006 4:31:08 PM

didnt know you could buy little smokers...so tomorrow...first thing on my list is Canadian Tire.

the smoker box I was talking about is a small, rectangular metal box that holds the wood chips ... Canadian Tire has smokers but they start at roughly $100 but when on sale go for around $50-60.
 atrkyhntr™
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Smoked Chicken
Posted: 6/18/2006 4:43:44 AM
I cant wait to try this...great cook in the kitchen...barbecuing though hasnt been my thing, but gosh when I saw your recipe there...out came the brand new barbecue from inside the garage. I will let you know how it turns out...cross your fingers for me lol...

I am honored you like my recipe and now must tell you another little secret just because your so nice...
You can put little slices into the sides of the chicken breast simply by just pushing the tip of a knife in then insert garlic or any herb you like that will enhance the flavor to your liking...
You can also slice the breats in half, long ways, but not all the way through and place in the middle sliced ham or really anything that suits your fancy then fold or roll back together and hold by using kite string rubbed with butter or olive oil... I also will pound the breast flat to around 1/4 inch or less and place ham or herbs over it roll up tie up and smoke too.. AWESOME because when done you can slice them smaller and enjoy as bite sized tongue teasers or appetizers...
Man I hated to give that one away LOL
Just joking love to help and share...

If you ever have the chance watching someone BBQ or cook anything sure beats reading about it... If you know someone who good with the grill/smoker watch and learn

Never over cook/smoke because this will dry out the chicken... If you do over cook simply use a food processor, grinder or chopper on the chicken and add mayo, finely chopped onions and celery for a great tasting sandwich spread...
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Smoked Chicken