Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Men over 55!      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Awesomeone54
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Men over 55!Page 1 of 23    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23)
I was depressed reading all this stuff about men over 55 only wanting fantasy. I think it doesn't matter so much about the age...its how long they (men or women) have been alone....you get stuck in your ways and it gets harder to let someone in and compromise. I have been living alone (well, youngest son was still home until nine months ago...now totally alone except the animals..lol...crazy old cat lady!!).......

I don't know what the cut off point is....I am afraid if I am not there, I am pretty close....but when you get used to livng alone, and at our age, change becomes harder.....I can imagine after so long, you like the fantasy of having it all again, but the fear of having the bad parts we all escaped at some point in our lives....scare us out of it. But then, Ihave not met the "right one"....have not met anyone I would let into my life permanently.

I prefer not to believe that after 55, men only want fantasy. My fantasy world is what made it easier to get this far...can't let go now. Who knows...I am the type that if you say I can't ...I have to show you just to prove you wrong....so watch you fellow old timers..lol....(joking...strange sense of humor...)
 Ron9
Msg: 15
Men over 55!
Posted: 6/13/2006 12:19:14 PM
I can’t speak for anyone else but - I personally think it is hogwash. Some bitter gal on another thread was trying to spread that poppyc@ck.

Maybe I don’t get the drift of how “fantasy” is being used. IF people are implying the guys (guys over 55) are in a fantasy world about who they should - should not be interested in (AKA the same old shallow bullcrud) then don’t try to cover it up with other wording.

The ONLY problem for me is ...... the actual “supply” of gals over 45 that I could see myself being with long term. I’ve worked from a home office for like 18 years now - I just do not see many gals at all.

MANY - I need to say that again MANY of the 50ish females that I could be interested in - plaster their desires for YOUNG GUYS all over the many - I need to say MANY again - all over the MANY younger guys for older gals threads. I try to read all those threads to “scratch off” (my potential list) the many (many again) gals I see posting stuff like “I just seem to attract the young stud muffins - I just can’t help it - I just look too hot”.

So ......... my bottom line is - I am looking for a long term relationship with a REAL female (not fantasy) that looks nice to me (TO ME) - (puts on boots for all the shallow crud to follow). If she has put her desires for young guys on the threads (or on her profile by showing age ranges) - she won’t do. Once I know that I would be concerned about it FOREVER. If she is too far out of shape - she would not do. If she is looking for some kind of sugar daddy she would not do.

To me this is just like high school - the ages are different - the body tones are different - the parts are sagging some - but it is the VERY SAME THING to me. Billie meets Susie.

YES - it is harder at my age but ............. I am the very same guy I was when I was 17 and not “going with” a gal. I was looking for “my” girl friend.
 Ron9
Msg: 17
Men over 55!
Posted: 6/13/2006 1:20:02 PM
Yeah - call me Mr. Double Standard all you want to. I still wear Levi jeans not the new fangled Wranglers. I still think the guy should be bigger than the gal (both height and weight) and the guy should be OLDER than the gal.

The oldest female I have EVER been around is now 47 years old - I was married to her for 17 years.

All the equal NOW WOMAN - stuff can be used on someone else. I am too old to change and too old to let politically correct (PC) change my mind about what I am looking for.
 Esperanza143
Msg: 23
Men over 55!
Posted: 6/13/2006 6:39:03 PM
Kit...I had not dated a man older than me in last ten years..
I decided that I needed to re-evaluate that philosophy , as I felt the time for fun and party had come to an end, so I decided to be open to men older...first up is 7 years older than myself, told me he'd dance circles around me...he is retired, but works still in summer....
We do a lot of things like walks in park, lying on beach, outdoors, but not high level activities.
He seems content to do things like that....and he also does bring up my propensity for younger men more often that I really find amusing.
He is content to date every two weeks, chat online most every day...for me...I'd prefer a bit more contact and activity together, but since I am being committed to exploring this option...I will give it a good honest effort...so far I am content....
 Esperanza143
Msg: 25
Men over 55!
Posted: 6/14/2006 1:56:31 PM
Kit...take it all back....he was in fantasy world....woke up and realized his wife was still in the picture...lmao
 zingwentthestrings
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Men over 55!
Posted: 12/19/2009 12:50:39 AM
Sure, it's true. Men over 55 live in a fantasy world.

I'm not particularly handsome but I'm a good man. I'm loyal, honest and always show up on time or phone ahead to explain the delay. I'm courteous and thoughtful of my partner. Now, I sold my car 4 years ago because I wasn't using it enough due to my passion for cycling. It was the best decision I've made since leaving a marriage that could not be salvaged. I have no idea what the price of gas is from one day to the next. If a lady and I were to go dancing, I could rent a car which I have done half a dozen times or more in my post car period. Women however, seem to assign particular social values to this fact. I must be too poor or I am looking for a sugar mama or ________; you fill in the blank. It's true I walked away from the marriage with nothing but it was for the right reasons but make no mistake, I am by no means poor although I confess I'm not rich enough to live without some budgetary guidelines like most of you do, consciously or not. If distance was an issue, I would think they might ask rather than assume. I've ridden into Toronto to meet a lady on-line so there is nowhere I can't go on a bike that would be realistic by car. I'd be quite happy to spend some of the money I save not operating a car each month towards doing things that two of us would enjoy. Of course we men over 55 live in fantasy worlds. I appreciate my particular lifestyle would not appeal to every woman but then I'm not looking for every woman. If I am going to have a fantasy, I'm not going to do it half way so I believe there is one woman with whom we both find attractive as we define it and work out the adjustments in order to maximize our enjoyment of one another. Futher, the relationship will grow along with trust and openness thus evolving into a meaningful and significant relationship. Finally, there is a women out there in cyberspace who might find me attractive enough to want to meet me and actually have the confidence that she would know if my interest was genuine or not and would appreciate me for what I have to offer in the way of emotional 'intuneness', understanding and support. Perhaps as I mature, I will leave my fantasies behind but until then I am a prisoner of my time and age.
 rearguard*2
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Men over 55!
Posted: 12/19/2009 5:40:38 AM
I could get really depressed reading all these theories about men over 55. Thankfully, I recognize them as being all a bunch of crap and get on with my healthy, active life, and hope it goes on right up until the day I drop dead.

The only thing about being older I notice is that I have the impression that I have less energy than when I was younger. Only trouble is I run farther, bike farther and play harder than I did then, so I think its probably more of an impression than a reality, but let's face it, its pretty commonly said that people slow down as they age.

The other thing I notice is that there are fewer and fewer men or women in my age group that are really active. My male friends with whom I do sports are on average 10-20 years my junior, some more, very few are older.

Of course, having men friends that young is no issue. Were I to admit that for female friends it would, of course, have nothing to do with lifestyle or activity, but would mean I prey on naive, needy women looking for a father figure who are mainly interested in my money.

Everyone has a different life and approach to that life, and hangs with people who fit in. Period!
 Pfilly08
Msg: 34
Men over 55!
Posted: 12/19/2009 7:51:45 AM
From my experience?

This question could be asked about men between 45 and 55 as well. To be sure I have received some articulately written, gracious, e-mails from guys here who appear to be gentleman, value a physically fit lifestyle, and judging from their profile photos, have been happy to embrace a healthful diet and regular activity. The vast majority of these men are in Vancouver, Canada, the West Coast, or several thousand miles away from me in exquisitely beautiful but impractically remote places such as Montana and Wyoming.

Where are the men between 45 and 55 within 100 miles of me fitting the above description of these physically fit guys???

I remain hopeful that I will find out
 clockwork lime
Msg: 35
Men over 55!
Posted: 12/19/2009 11:26:28 AM

Where are the men between 45 and 55 within 100 miles of me fitting the above description of these physically fit guys???

They are probably 1) Married for over 20 years by now,
2) In a long term steady relationship,
3) Dating much younger women,
4) Not interested in dating at all,
or
5) Gay.
 wacowboy3
Msg: 36
Men over 55!
Posted: 12/19/2009 1:48:27 PM
Looks around , Yup , I am over 55. Nope I havent given up. I'm 61 and still have hopes of finding a loving relationship. I am not fat , or out of shape. I date 10 yrs younger to 5 yrs older. Older only if reaonably attractive, and not a lot overweight, and no big medical issues. I find lots of women 55 to 65 are attractive and sexy , but it is sure hard to find them. They seem either to be married or stay home. LOL Get out girls . How are us older guy's suppose to find ya ? LOL
 wacowboy3
Msg: 37
Men over 55!
Posted: 12/19/2009 1:49:40 PM
Looks around , Yup , I am over 55. Nope I havent given up. I'm 61 and still have hopes of finding a loving relationship. I am not fat , or out of shape. I date 10 yrs younger to 5 yrs older. Older only if reaonably attractive, and not a lot overweight, and no big medical issues. I find lots of women 55 to 65 are attractive and sexy , but it is sure hard to find them. They seem either to be married or stay home. LOL Get out girls . How are us older guy's suppose to find ya ? LOL
 SASSYN89178
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Men over 55!
Posted: 12/19/2009 2:20:06 PM
Zing,
This thread is over 3 yrs old.
 kari135
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Men over 55!
Posted: 12/19/2009 3:36:02 PM

This thread is over 3 yrs old.

Well, everything new and interesting lately seems to go *poof* and vanish.
 dave91741
Msg: 40
Men over 55!
Posted: 12/19/2009 3:52:12 PM

No this is not true, plenty of men date past 55. They are just harder to deal with!

You surely have not been reading the thread on ED .
 moraima
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Men over 55!
Posted: 12/19/2009 4:04:56 PM
Here we go again.

Men or women over 55 (under) are individuals.....................and as such should be approached on an individual basis.

HoldingHands27
Msg: 47
Men over 55!
Posted: 12/20/2009 12:04:37 AM
I've almost reached 55....
'Dating' is not a really viable approach to creating a loving relationship...
Unless...naturally...any individual 'date' develops into a good relationship...
Peersonally, I _Refuse_ to 'age' more than 35 for a L O N G time..!!
My attitude is...
Find someone that you're _Attracted to_ that is impressed by the things that you offer H E R..!!
Whether it's the little things, like humor, manners or gallantry....
...or...
how you hold her on the dance floor, help her with dinner or find that 'special place' that _really_ turns her on
when she _needs_ it...!!
It's really a matter of pleasing _each other_ as any GOOD relationship should...!!
 Free-At-Last
Msg: 48
Men over 55!
Posted: 12/20/2009 12:33:33 AM
When one's reality doesn't quite live up to one's expectations, sometimes all that's left is fantasy....

Nothing wrong with dreaming in the meantime
 lucky2b56
Msg: 50
Men over 55!
Posted: 12/20/2009 7:29:24 PM
I am 55 and I know that trying to keep up with a 35 or under lady is unrealistic. Plus it would probably kill me and my family would have to have a closed casket ceremony(undertake couldn't get the smile off my face) LOL
I always think of a quote from a old movie "a man has got to know his limitations" I know mine and I am more interested in a well kept lady my own age, give or take a few years. More interested in quality than quantity... No fantasy of wild nights with young women here....been there done that when I was mid 30s and younger.
 mjseek
Msg: 51
Men over 55!
Posted: 12/20/2009 10:06:01 PM
I am over 55 in pretty good shape and quite active to say the least. But now I am living in the world of cougars...and if that happen to be true...the only female that will find me attractive will be in the age range of 70+! So who's living in a world of fantasy...me, or them?
 HoldingHands27
Msg: 53
Men over 55!
Posted: 12/20/2009 11:07:31 PM
I'd prefer not to do a whole lot of 'dating'....
I'd like to find someone really Special that finds Me really Special...fairly quickly..!!
With the exception of a mediocre 1-year relationship...I've been alone for over 11 years.
If this goes on Too much longer...I may begin to Feel closer to my age than I now do..!!
 Rythmn
Msg: 54
view profile
History
Men over 55!
Posted: 12/20/2009 11:39:48 PM
oddly, i know more men than women in their 50's and even 60's who are "looking". however, a lot of them are disgusted with online dating. many look for dating at "meetup" which can be found on the internet and schedules local group activities, according to interests. but, it varies locally as to what is going on.

i say, if nothing is going on in your area, register a group and start one going. it takes a few months to get a new one rolling here in this area, so you may need to advertise what you are doing elsewhere. i mixed and matched internet dating, with local stuff. if i didn't have lymes, i'd be in the hiking groups. fortunately my guy's hiking group has the same members in our other meetups, so i don't get left out that much.

let's face it. some people spend more time foruming than looking or being available or "out there". so, of course you will get more negative comments on here. that is not necessarily reflective of the total population however.
 rustytraveler
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Men over 55!
Posted: 12/21/2009 9:51:10 AM

I am over 55 in pretty good shape and quite active to say the least. But now I am living in the world of cougars...and if that happen to be true...the only female that will find me attractive will be in the age range of 70+! So who's living in a world of fantasy...me, or them?

You seem quite the catch MJ.... can I be your cougar ? After all, if we old gals didn't have a few fantasies in between the mens' lusting virtually after 20 yr olds... it would hardly be worth getting out of or.... in bed :).
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 58
Men over 55!
Posted: 12/21/2009 11:40:23 AM

If people want to find someone to pass the time with, it's pretty easy, isn't it? If I wanted someone pleasant to pass the time with, I could pull that off in 24-48 hours time. Finding someone I really like, a real fit...now that's a different story

...It seems like that shouldn't be such a hard thing and yet....here I am nearing my 13 year as a single lady. And yet those damn E-Harmony commericals make it seem so easy....if only life were like that eh?

...maeflowers
 Blue-Eyes-Shine
Msg: 61
view profile
History
Men over 55!
Posted: 12/21/2009 1:40:58 PM
^^So we have to be half naked and want to sleep with a guy we randomly met at a party for a few minutes. Classy.
 WaywardWynde
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Men over 55!
Posted: 12/21/2009 5:47:42 PM
Some people have more fun than others.

(I need to post long messages to get posted with short messages.)

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Men over 55!