Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  > Anybody got a really effective home-made remedy?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Carol27
Msg: 1
Anybody got a really effective home-made remedy?Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Ummmm, well, my son is 2 1/2 and is having some problems....well, he is constipated....

Anybody got some tried and true home-made remedies for this?

Edit: Before anyone asks...yes, I have called the doctor....wants to give him a perscription medication....but is that really necessary? Mom suggested apple juice and that hasn't helped.
 niki78
Msg: 2
Anybody got a really effective home-made remedy?
Posted: 6/29/2006 1:34:35 PM
When my boys were like that I always gave then sugar water. Maybe 4 tsp per 12 oz of water. That always worked for me. Let me know if that worked for you.
 Carol27
Msg: 3
Posted: 6/29/2006 1:35:28 PM
Thanks skinnbones....haven't heard of the brown sugar trick....will try that!
 Fry Lock
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 6/29/2006 1:42:36 PM
Go to the health food store; they have these gummy bear things that are like little kid laxatives; a couple of those things & my granddaughter has no problems!
 campgurl
Msg: 5
Posted: 6/29/2006 1:49:18 PM
Or go to Bulk Barn and buy a bag of prunes pits removed they taste better then prune juice trust me and they work 9/10 times within a day. Mix them with some raisins or dried apricots they make a great baggie snack for toddlers and a great source of iron. Strange thing is iron is usually what causes constipation in kids go figure?.
 Meow_Mix
Msg: 6
Posted: 6/29/2006 1:56:45 PM
Apples and Bananas won't help constipation, they just add to the problem. I would try prune juice (in small doses). It really works, sometimes too well.
 philrook
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 6/29/2006 3:41:15 PM
Caffine is a laxitive. That's you have to "go" after their first cup of joe. I would try a little bit of decarbonated coke (shake it until it won't fizz anymore) or some other caffinated drink.

Good luck.
 meli100
Msg: 8
Posted: 6/29/2006 4:40:27 PM
They sell Karo Syrup (corn syrup) at many grocery stores and it is quite effective. You can start by giving a teaspoon.

Prune juice, taken in small amounts, works for toddlers as well.

And I agree, you might want to take a look at your child's diet (as stated above). Remember that water/fluids and certain foods high in fiber can help maintain regularity. :-)

Good luck!
 KIWI3nme
Msg: 9
Posted: 6/29/2006 5:32:07 PM
YUP BEEN THERE DONE THAT........... going through it right now..

as of this week my son has had blood tests...stool samples and he goes for an ultrasound tomorrow. For the past year he either has the runs of is so plugged up it hurts. We have tried diet changes.....more water...exercise (jumping on trampoline ect )

NOTHING SEEMS TO WORK
i get so upset at the fact that his poor little tummy is all wacked up...sighh once all these results come back we will know if its digestion related.... allergy or who knows?? But as 5 yr old in pull ups still??? gimme a break!!!!!!!! oh well its better that to catch the accidents than to have 6 undies soaking in the sink every day BLECK EWWW

we will see what happens i dont give him apple juice any more nor hot dogs it makes him go like crazy!!! i have the strange suspicion my little guy has allergies ohh vey...
 board two tiers
Msg: 10
Posted: 6/29/2006 7:51:34 PM
Mix one tablespoon of sugar, a half a cup of hot water, and three tablespoons of olive oil, then add a few drops of red food coloring. Pour this on your cat and mess it into their fur real good. While the mixture is still sticky, sprinkle flour all over the cat. Wait until your child is asleep, then place the bedraggled cat in bed with them. Clap your hands to startle the cat and wake your child. If all goes well, the shit will be scared out of your child and the cat will disappear through an open window.
 whosyourbadkitty
Msg: 11
Posted: 6/29/2006 8:00:21 PM
carol... add fiber to his diet. you can get "beneful" or "metamucil" and just add a little bit to water or his juice and not only will he get the fiber without the sugar but he'll be regular before you know it without the runs.
 Gorshkov
Msg: 12
Posted: 6/29/2006 10:13:04 PM
You could try what seemed to work for my daughter ...........

One day, I got a call from her kindergarten teacher, wanting to discuss a problem she was having with my daughter. The first thing that went through MY head was "uh-uoh - at least I waited till high-school to become an a..hole)

Seems that my darling daughter was disturbing the class, because she insisted on singing at the top of her voice when she was going potty. When her teacher gave up asking her to stop, and asked her WHY she was singing, my daughter informed her that "singing makes my poop come out better"

Maybe a rousing chorus or two of "The wheels on the bus"? :-)
 westvanchick
Msg: 13
Posted: 6/30/2006 12:23:18 AM
Thats soo cute....

I heard brownsugur helps with constipation.
 NursePinky
Msg: 14
Posted: 6/30/2006 5:05:25 AM
Have you tried mineral oil, 15cc (1 tbsp) mixed with OJ? at night...until it works!
 Fry Lock
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 6/30/2006 5:43:05 AM
All these remedies seem like they would work, it's just getting him ot take them, I think; the gummy bears worked great, and there was no argument about them being"nassss-ty" (as my granddaughter would say) they have em at any GNC or hippie health food store; the cat one cracked me up; I almost peed MY pants laughing; not very helpful, but funny...
 LADYRED1220
Msg: 16
Posted: 6/30/2006 6:15:39 AM
Little Remedies http://www.littleremedies.com/ makes an all natural medicine, it helped my daughter who ummm, had a WORLD of problems with that issue. Also, sometimes a perscription is the best thing. Lilah, was on a medication called Miralax for a while, it's a tasteless powder that you just put in their juice, really no biggie. The doctor found Lilah had dry intestines which made her bowel movements hard as rock, and adult size, scary thing coming out of a little peanut!!! She is 3 1/2 now and has no issues anymore, but for a while there it was AWFUL! Hope I helped!!!!!!
 board two tiers
Msg: 17
Posted: 6/30/2006 6:30:11 AM
I forgot to mention it works if you can't pee, too, but you almost found that out for yourself anyway.
 AngieWantsLove
Msg: 18
Posted: 6/30/2006 8:06:41 AM
LMAO....~makes a note to get a cat~
 KIWI3nme
Msg: 19
Posted: 6/30/2006 1:23:12 PM
(have 2 cats :rubbing chin in evil thoughtfulness) lol i could turn my calico into a green alien!!! anyone got koolaid??

my son is a pickey parker....i have to hide "good" food to get it in him. Fruits have to be in purree or juice form he sucks on them and spits out everything even if its like a fruit cup ect.

The preschool was very good at feeding him apples...they cut them up stabbed them with toothpicks and he dipped them in yogurt. I think becasue of his sensory disorder he doesnt like certain textures against his tongue.

The ultrasound is in one hour im waiting for him to arrive at my work so i can go with my mother is law.

at last we wil get results!!!!
 allh2h
Msg: 20
Posted: 6/30/2006 8:39:04 PM
Well I have no idea if you give your son a lot of milk and have not read the entire postings so if I miss this...so sorry but am chasing my own two year old tonight too lol...but when I cut back on teh milk he seems to work it out. Also if I give him some of those pediasures, first one goes right through him. Now I give him one a day and make sure he doesn't get loads of milk and he seems to be pretty regular. Good luck, again sorry if this is a repeat of if you have posted anything to the effect that this is not helpful.

Goodluck
 Carol27
Msg: 21
Posted: 7/3/2006 6:22:53 AM
To the poster who asked.....no he had never had that problem before. He is usually extremely regular.

Thanks for all the suggestions virtualdude. I do most of those things already...but like the suggestions all the same.

Anyway...my little guy is doing fine now.

Thanks everyone!
 1TallMomma
Msg: 22
Posted: 7/3/2006 8:21:53 AM
Caro (Cayro?) or corn syrup works well if they are still on a bottle or can take it with milk in a sippy cup. Also there are fiber tablets at the store that are natural and they taste really good (so my kids say). If you give them on a regular basis they will stay regular. Oh, and if you allow him to drink soda if you put it in the sippy or bottle and shake it until it's all out of fizz and he drinks it, it should help. I use cherry dr. pepper, it works the best.
 Carol27
Msg: 23
Posted: 7/3/2006 1:27:19 PM
For future reference, do you know what those fiber tablets are called? I tried to look for something like that in the store today but couldn't find any....would like to give something like that to both my kids....

I am not trying to knock my children's dad....but I have a feeling that part of the problem is that when they go on visits with him for the weekend, he feeds them mostly snack junk food all weekend. When he brings them back they always have a bunch of lose packets of snacks from Dollar General in their bag. When my daughter was younger it would take me several days to get her regulated again because he fed her nothing but junk food all weekend. I hope we don't continue this same pattern with my son. I had a talk with my ex about this a long time ago and he stopped doing that for a while...but I think it has started up again.

Thanks everyone!
 allh2h
Msg: 24
Posted: 7/3/2006 5:11:19 PM
See if you can talk your ex into giving them atleast some pediasures. I know my step kids loved it, we'd put them in the freezer and let them get a tiny frozen and then shake like a milk shake...loved 'em. My son likes then at room temp so you can do either way. Even if they are getting junk food if you can talk him into that, it is something HEALTHY. Or send a couple with them in there bags and make sure they drink them of there own accord. Iknow your little guy is young but if the older one is old enough, (my ex's kids are 8 and 5 and even when the oldest was 4 she was making sure the younger got fed 3 times a day at there mothers). So the oldest might be willing if daddy isn't? I know that is a hard thing to think of...but sometimes you have to do what you ahve to do and if dad sees the oldest doing HIS job...does wonders. Got my ex's mom off her ass in a heartbeat. And amazingly it really hasnt affected Adrianna (the oldest) the way we thought, she is just an awesome big sister because of it I was never able to feed my son when she was here She just got so much joy from it!

Glad to hear he is doing better....it is always horrible when they get that way. That was how I found out that a lot of milk will do it....cut it back and added the pediasure and I can set my clocks by my little guy.
 ozzwalley
Msg: 25
Posted: 7/21/2006 1:08:22 AM
ok my dauter had this bad this trooly dose work got it from a child speshlist md on hershmyers disorder

haff a tea spoon of minerl oil

my dater had to do 2 tea spoons so this definitly works
Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  > Anybody got a really effective home-made remedy?