Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > What can you do about slander and harrassment?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 brokenwings2
Msg: 1
What can you do about slander and harrassment?Page 1 of 1    
What do you do on a sight like this when for no reason someone is slandering you and giving out your personal info to complete strangers who then in turn accuse you of things you have never done? I have reported this person, but to my knowledge, nothing has been done.
I had a "friend" who I helped in many ways because he was down-and-out. I took him food when he had none, gave him bus fair to look for jobs when I could not drive him. Was by his side in the hospital. I was there when no one else was. This man is a compulsive liar, and I told him he had to clean up his life and start telling the truth before I would ever consider letting him into my life. I was just trying to be a decent human being and I gave him more chances than he deserved.
I have had no contact with him in many months and this was a great thing for me. I received a message on here this week from some woman saying I have been bad mouthing her to this guy and she threatened me. He made up some stories for God knows what purpose, then gave out my info. I also received terrible messages from another woman on yahoo.
I am at a loss to understand why anyone would go so far and for what possible reason when I have not been in his life for so long. He is such a player and a manipulator and I feel sorry for any woman that falls for his lies.
There should be a way on this sight for people to share when they know someone is a real hazard. And it scares me to think he has more than 100 women who have added him to their favourites list.
I am a very spiritual person and it upsets me having all this negative energy coming my way. I have never said anything about a person that I would not say to their face. I don't have a problem with anyone and I would never do such a hurtful thing as he has done. This is what I get for trying to help. In the meantime, I have hidden my profile. I think I may have to open new email accounts as well

So tell me, do I simply have to take this? Is there no justice for having my privacy violated and my character attacked??
 TheBurningMan
Msg: 2
What can you do about slander and harrassment?
Posted: 7/6/2006 8:50:28 PM
You could look into a defamtion of character lawsuit. If the statements were made in malice or reckless disregard then that is the basic basis of a slander/libel suit. The burden of proof, obviously, would fall on you if you go this route.

If it isn't that important to you, then I'd just lose the guy and all his groupies. Block them from your email, report them to mods of whatever site they use, and keep track of all contact they make after that using their message system (PoF for example, probably wont care if they send you ugly messages via Yahoo. But PoF may care, if they send ugly messages via PoF mail...). This route is pretty much just blocking them from being able to contact you. If they get around these blocks; that may constitute Harassment if it's done repeatedly.

In the long run, it's pretty much do nothing; or do everything (lawsuits, blocks, etc); to get results.
 sammy salt
Msg: 3
Posted: 7/6/2006 9:00:35 PM
Some men do all kinds of stupid things, that don't make sense. I got one like that next door. So they are indeed out there. Just be glad he don't live next door to you. I haven't spooken to him in three years, and yet he goes out of his way to cause me a proublem. When you learn how to make them go away, and it works, let me know.
 BLACKACES
Msg: 4
Posted: 7/6/2006 9:20:17 PM
just tell them you know the ACE!
 dawn1114
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 7/6/2006 10:39:26 PM
He sounds mentally disturbed. Protect yourself.

If you have a copy of the threat you got, get a restraining order. Some police forces have those panic-button things, in case you spot him approaching you in person. I don't know how reporting to the administrators here works, but I assume they'll do something as quickly as possible.

Be careful, and good luck.
 ManitobaGrrl
Msg: 6
Posted: 7/7/2006 12:42:03 AM
Keep records and dates, make notes of everything that happens
Get a lawyer
 brokenwings2
Msg: 7
Posted: 7/10/2006 9:49:42 AM
Thanks for all your support, and ok Ace..I will keep that in mind..LOL
I do work with victims of crime and know the basics. It was just really upsetting to think a compulsive liar and hurtful person like that can be allowed to have free reign on a sight like this. I feel sorry for any of his future victims. I did save messages, but it's his groupies that hurt the most. I just don't understand what he would get out of still bringing my name up and I suppose telling them fake stories about women from his past must make him feel more the victim himself, helping him score more points with these mothering types. He certainly doesn't know the meaning of what being a real man is all about.
I just wish there was a way we could warn each other on these sights when we know about someone who is a total player and user like this. Of course, it would likely get abused too by people with grudges and small minds.
For now, I will keep my profile hidden. It's not nice to be avoiding my own pc for fear of getting blasted by another complete stranger for sins I never commited.
Today is my "Independance Day" (9 years since my daughter and I ran for our lives and never looked back.) I have survived worse..so cheers everyone, raise a glass for me ok?
Lori
 rainbowfishh
Msg: 8
Posted: 7/10/2006 9:51:29 AM
those are legal terms
and this implies legal help...
find a lawyer but keep in mind
these are CIVIL and not criminal
things...
and most lawyers want at least a 10,000
retainer fee to begin a civil lawsuit.
 nice2cu
Msg: 9
Posted: 7/10/2006 10:06:47 AM
I had a similar instance with a psycho woman.
There's not much you can do except report them...which is lame because they get deleted only to come back later as someone else.
Sometimes they try to fake like they're illiterate to try and throw you off...*rolls eyes*
Trust your gut and stay away from new people that seem too familliar.
If it smells fishy...it likely IS.
Don't know what else to tell ya..

Good luck
 MMMBaby!
Msg: 10
Posted: 7/10/2006 10:16:07 AM

I don't have a problem with anyone

Obviously you do... Are YOU scary?

(Note to self- don't ask any scary people if they are "scary")
 NatGoat
Msg: 11
Posted: 9/9/2007 9:13:49 AM
How about someone who DOGS every post that a particular person Makes . . ???
The Topic doesn't Matter . .
He's _Always_ got a snappy come-back or dirty name to toss back . . !!!
AND . . He's Impervious to Discipline, too . . !!!
 Hiwayman
Msg: 12
Posted: 9/9/2007 1:14:20 PM
"I was there when no one else was." Big clue here. Users are unbelievably devious. Like you I've helped loads of down and out folks in my life. When I finally got tired of saveing there sorry @sses things changed a lot. I was bad mouthed to no end. Lied about a lot. Users somehow feel that the world owes them. And lord help you if you ever let them down. This is true with both men and women. I've met very few folks in life that only take what they need and are grateful for that. I quit helping anyone for anything. Except for my 3 kids. And one of them are made of the above stuff so he is now out of my life. Its a f*cked up world for sure. When you get tired of being used you will stop.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > What can you do about slander and harrassment?