Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Religion  > Hey, Ok I may be taking a risk here but what are the benefits of Chri      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 RDtoo
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Hey, Ok I may be taking a risk here but what are the benefits of Christians sharing the Gospel?Page 1 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
The Great Commission given by Jesus to the Church was to spread the Gospel. That is why Christians feel compelled to do so. One thing Christians are guilty of is speaking in monologues instead of having dialogues. One thing about Jesus was that He listened to people.

I have to disagree about other religions having "good news". All religions cannot be correct at the same time. This is why: Jesus that nobody comes to the Father except through Him. He died for our sins. If it were possible to get to heaven by following other religions that ignore that, then Jesus died in vain. Why should He have had to give His own life if there was another way of doing it?
 easytag
Msg: 23
Hey, Ok I may be taking a risk here but what are the benefits of Christians sharing the Gospel?
Posted: 3/1/2005 8:26:25 AM
msugirl004-

"I, being a Christian, do not understand why Christians feel the need to "share" the gospel. I feel like it's putting pressure on someone, and if they really wanted to find religion they would find it themselves. And that is exactly it, I think each person needs to explore religions on their own and decide which one is right for them. Religion is a PERSONAL journey. Plus other religions have just as much good news to spread."

When I see this type of sentiment within the Christian community, I am deeply saddened. Msugirl004, ashley1861, lateforsupper, how do you rectify your feelings, with the following verses in the Bible?

Matthew9:37,38
37Then he said to his disciples, “The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few.
38Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field.”

1 Corinthians 9:16
16Yet when I preach the gospel, I cannot boast, for I am compelled to preach. Woe to me if I do not preach the gospel!

1 Corinthians 9:22
22To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some.

Luke 10:2
2He told them, “The harvest is plentiful, but the workers are few. Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field.

2 Timothy 4:2
2Preach the Word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage–with great patience and careful instruction.

Ephesians 6:19
19Pray also for me, that whenever I open my mouth, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel,
20for which I am an ambassador in chains. Pray that I may declare it fearlessly, as I should.

Matthew 28:19
19Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in[a] the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,

Luke 19:10
10For the Son of Man came to seek and to save what was lost.”

Colossians 1:28
28We proclaim him, admonishing and teaching everyone with all wisdom, so that we may present everyone perfect in Christ.

Mark 16:15 (The Great Commission given to disciples by Jesus)
15He said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the good news to all creation.

Luke 6:46
46“Why do you call me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ and do not do what I say?

Quotes

"Have you no wish for others to be saved? Then you are not saved yourself. Be sure of that. Charles Spurgeon

"If you do not make it a matter of study, how you may successfully act in building up the kingdom of Christ, you are acting a very wicked and absurd part as a Christian."
Charles Finney

"Oh my friends, we are loaded down with countless church activites, while the real work of the church, that of evangelizing the world and winning the lost, is almost entirely neglected!"
Oswald J. Smith

Matthew 5:10-12
10Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
11Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.
12Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you.
 easytag
Msg: 26
Hey, Ok I may be taking a risk here but what are the benefits of Christians sharing the Gospel?
Posted: 3/1/2005 9:00:03 AM
sidheanwwyn,

Assuming you were referring to my post, the girl I was talking to said she WAS A CHRISTIAN. That was why i posted it.

easytag
Msg: 29
Posted: 3/1/2005 1:20:25 PM
sid-

I mistyped, I meant lateforsurgery. I directed it at them b/c they agreed with msugirl004, so I assumed they too were Christian.

Msugirl004-

I respectfully disagree with your assessment. Personally, I believe evangelism is our most sobering task. As a Christian, you do believe in hell, correct? You interract with others on a day-to-day basis who are going to spend an eternity in agony, and yet this somehow doesn't concern you?

This is a copy of the text of a letter from an atheist to a Christian:

"You are really convinced that you've got all the answers. You've really got yourself tricked into believing that you're 100% right. Well, let me tell you one thing. Do you consider yourself to be compassionate of other humans? If you're right about God, as you say you are, and you believe that, then how can you sleep at night? When you speak with me, you are speaking with someone who you believe is walking directly into eternal d*mnation, into an endless onslaught of horrendous pain which your 'loving' God created, yet you stand by and do nothing.

"If you believed one bit that thousands every day were falling into an eternal and unchangeable fate, you should be running the streets mad with rage at their blindness. That's equivalent to standing on a street corner and watching every person that passes you walk blindly directly into the path of a bus and die, yet you stand idly by and do nothing. You're just twiddling your thumbs, happy in the knowledge that one day that 'Walk' signal will shine your way across the road.

"Think about it. Imagine the horrors hell must have in store if the Bible is true. You're just going to allow that to happen and not care about saving anyone but yourself? If you're right, then you're an uncaring, unemotional and purely selfish (expletive) that has no right to talk about subjects such as love and caring."

You've stated that you're perfectly happy with the way you are practicing your religion. Make sure that God is as well.
 easytag
Msg: 33
Posted: 3/1/2005 2:10:48 PM
sid-

"your arrogance is amazing. since when do you speak for your god?"

I didn't say that I spoke for God. I, in fact, quoted Him.

"now you've been reduced to threatening one of your own kind. you absolutely refuse to have any respect for the rights of others to believe as they choose in peace. apparently you also missed my first posts in here. i have repeated several times and so have others, that "the word", as you call it, is out there. we have heard the sales pitch and aren't interested. how do you think you are going to go about changing that? harrassing us until we finally give up? threatening us the way you seem willing to do to a fellow christian? we heard the message, and we're not interested. is the thought of living like the person you claim as a savior so appalling?"

First of all, my post was not intended for you and yet you keep answering for everyone else. I'm simply trying to show her, that her point-of-view is wrong. If she believes in hell, and believes that those who die are going there, then she should try and do SOMETHING to see that they don't.

I've never advocated 'pushing' Christianity on anyone. I believe that Christ gave us the perfect model for evangelism. There are definitely right and wrong ways to go about it, but not going about it at all is not what God wants. We, as Christians, are commanded to do it and we should.

I respect your beliefs and I respect her beliefs, but I do think I have the right to disagree, as you both do with mine.
 easytag
Msg: 36
Posted: 3/1/2005 2:33:02 PM
lateforsurgery,

We live in a free country, so I believe everyone is entitled to their own opinion. In that sense, I respect others beliefs. But you also must understand, that I believe that non-Christians are going to hell. I do realize that THEY DON'T believe this. Therefore, one has to be very careful when breaching the subject w/ a non-believer. It may be the first time you meet them, it may not be. But it should be done in a respectful way.

If done respectfully and it offends them, then it offends them. Our Constitution never granted us "freedom from getting offended."
 RDtoo
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 3/1/2005 6:57:17 PM
Sidhean, on the previous page you asked Christians what if they are "gasp" WRONG. Now let me ask you a question, what do you do if it turns out that Christians are "gasp" RIGHT? Can you answer that?
 RDtoo
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 3/1/2005 9:34:33 PM
MSUgirl, can I ask you to define what it means to be a Christian? Thanks.
 easytag
Msg: 50
Posted: 3/2/2005 7:01:08 AM
msugirl-

There are still many people who have not heard the Gospel and many who have heard it, do not understand it. Take some of those on here for example. If they understood the gospel, then they would understand exactly why it is that I feel I must share it. The fact that they don't proves to me they don't understand it, and is the exact reason why I share it.

Ever heard of the Dead Sea Scrolls?
 easytag
Msg: 53
Posted: 3/2/2005 9:12:07 AM
"one of the things that i find interesting here is the christians ganging up on one of their own, accusing her of being not a good christian. newsflash folks, she's only practicing tolerance. she's trying to be christ-like. isn't that what you people are SUPPOSED to be doing? why is it that the pagans have to defend her against those who are supposed to be her own kind?"

I never disputed her Christianity. I displayed quotes from famous preachers who may have, but I didn't personally - I leave that to God. I merely pointed out Bible verses which would indicate that she might not be living the way God would intend. She may be trying to be "Christ-like" yet she's neither doing what He did nor what He said. He witnessed everywhere He went and commanded us to do the same.
 easytag
Msg: 55
Posted: 3/2/2005 12:26:35 PM
I'll ask you just this. If you were to dedicate your life to trying to convert others to Christianity, couldn't influence at least one person over that time? Wouldn't saving just one person's soul be worth the sacrifice?

I don't witness as much as I should and I miss opportunites on a daily basis. And that is exactly what they are.....missed opportunities. While I'm sure you get the impression that I force-feed Christ to others, that is not true either. Each individual must be handled differently.

I also understand that some actually turn people off to Christianity just by their attitude. I strive not to do this as well.

There are people all around you looking for answers and you have them. I hope you you'll consider sharing them at some point.
 easytag
Msg: 59
Posted: 3/2/2005 1:26:51 PM
What do you think a person has to do to become a Christian?

(Not asking to be argumentative, or to question your Christianity. Just trying to see where you're coming from)
 RDtoo
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Posted: 3/2/2005 8:20:03 PM
Sidhean, I just knew you would not answer that question in a thoughtful fashion.
 RDtoo
Msg: 78
view profile
History
Posted: 3/3/2005 6:27:20 AM
And believe me, if you have some problem with Christianity, I have probably had a problem with it at one point myself. Mine is not what you would call "blind faith", though that is what is called for at times.

At any rate, you asked a question. I thought that it would be fair and turn the question around and ask you.
 raaburt
Msg: 81
Posted: 3/16/2005 2:29:01 PM
hello all,
ive read a few of the first responses to this question that was posted and noticed no answer about rewards,but rebuttal about what i would conclude is that quite the opposite is the case. i would like to first point out what Jesus's last words were before He was taken up to heaven in a cloud."all power is given to me in heaven and in earth.go you therefore,and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the father, and of the son, and of the holy ghost:Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever i have commanded you:..." Now this is just the tip of the iceburg in light of verses in the bible where the believers were commanded to go and say (in this case if you want to get literal,teach) all nations, baptizing them(all nations), again the word teaching them(all nations) to observe all things i(jesus) have commanded you: at the very least this is applicable to all those that were there that faithful day Jesus was taken up to heaven! but it also applies to all that say that Jesus is there Lord. out of time for now hope i can get back to this to see what u all have to say.
 masterspirit
Msg: 84
view profile
History
Posted: 10/29/2005 10:16:01 AM
I agree that people have to decide for themselves their own path but if the gospel wasn't shared (or other religious views for that matter) how could you come to a conclusion? I think the point here is the WAY in which it is shared. If people come across as judgemental then others are turned off but if you share in a way that inspires others to think then thats a bit different. The point of discussing views to me is to see if they hold up under scrutiny and to entertain different perspectives in order to expand your overall understanding. Without people willing to share thats not possible. Lastly I think for the most part when people do share it's because they've discovered something wonderful and want others to feel the same.
 RDtoo
Msg: 86
view profile
History
Posted: 10/29/2005 12:52:30 PM
Kathy, most of the people that come here have rejected Christianity in favor of hedonism. The thing is they spend more time here attacking Christianity than living a life of hedonism. Go figure.
 grplaman
Msg: 88
Posted: 11/1/2005 10:26:47 PM
God tells us to share the Gospel. And, the benefits of doing so is, Blessing and rewards here, and in Heaven. When a person makes it clear to me that they don't want me to share with them the Gospel........I thank them for their time and dust my shoes off..at least their blood won't be on my hands-they made their choice and i did my job.
 flyguy51
Msg: 89
Posted: 11/1/2005 10:47:06 PM
I see some misconceptions here on this subject (or conceptions that I disagree with, in other words). First, we don't have the power to save anyone from Hell. God does that through Christ's grace. I've even heard a minister say that in Heaven, people will tell you "I'm here because of YOU!" Wrong!

Second, for grplaman, I disagree with this "blood on your hands" reference. That is no motivation to share faith. Plus, the way you put it, it sounds like it makes a good excuse for piss poor evangelism and a smug attitude about the whole thing. For example:

"Accept Christ, or you will burn in Hell!"

"Get away from me!"

(Well, his blood won't be on my hands now. My work is done here!)

*rides proudly off into the sunset*
 Tinkle
Msg: 92
Posted: 11/2/2005 12:09:35 PM
I'm annoyed by it. Most people in the west are already aware of what they preach anyway due to friends, family, tv, school (back when I was in it before the changes) etc. etc. etc.
 grplaman
Msg: 93
Posted: 11/2/2005 4:31:43 PM
flyguy, God tells us that. Their blood will be on our hands. If, we not tell others, when we had the chance to and they wound-up going to hell..we will be held "personally responsible" by God himself and lose a few rewards. But he also says, if we do tell them and they reject it-their blood will not be on our hands! I think you'er being hypersensitive.

I spent over 30 years telling people about Christ...........I only tried to help them to come to the Lord because that's my duty as a Christian. But, Most acted as if....I was the evil one! Nor, have I never pushed it on anyone, either. God says, if your not saved NOW-you are ALREADY condemned! Christians need to toughen-up these days and be bold! But, if you think i'm smug-so be,..judging me is your sin-not mine. There is no time for games anymore! We are in the end times. Millions and millions and millions, perhaps billions of people will be going to hell because of, so many weak and passive Christians. I'd rather be like, John the Baptist and BOLD and STRONG and LOUD than, be someone who's a fraid of hurting peoples feelings!

Flyguy, I don't need you approvel-I seek only Gods
 flyguy51
Msg: 95
Posted: 11/2/2005 4:56:07 PM
SFL, meek has different meanings. We think of it today to mean someone who is sheepish, quiet, and librarian-like. From what I understand, Jesus used meek to mean someone who is very strong and powerful yet humble and gentle. I picture something like a bodybuilder cuddling a baby. Or just picture Jesus himself!

And grplaman, I'm really not familiar with that "blood on your hands" reference regarding witnessing. Do you have the Biblical address?

Cheers!
 grplaman
Msg: 96
Posted: 11/2/2005 5:32:42 PM
Yet, Jesus thought John the Baptists' BOLD approach was correct!

Most people are stubborn and brassnecked........like most nonbelievers......They want to live in La La Land and play with Crystals and charms and fairies.....and even catch a rainbown as it gently bends down to the ground to be loved.......ahhh, and all the Unicorns running around and playing, peace and love-world wide...oh......i think i just saw a ghost!,..ooh wait! Now i just saw a UFO! I love befriending Space aliens,.they deserve love too! Wait, hold on a bit......it 3 p.m...time to huge my tree outside,......i'll be back. I'm back, you know what? While i was outside,.a rose on my rosebush smiled at me...amd my familiar turned into a yellow Canary!

Get a clue and start dealing with reality. Stop going by feelings and emotions and put away foolish thoughts. Spells and Chants belong to the foolish..and those who practice such things will surely pay the price.

Trust Christ only..you won't regret it.

Michael Savage wrote a book titled, "Liberalism is a mental disorder" Has anyone here read it?
 grplaman
Msg: 98
Posted: 11/2/2005 5:46:32 PM
Jesus lost his temper and got mad and threw tables over and chased some men out of a temple. jesus told everyone and still does tell us in the bible-if you don't believe-you will end up in hell. It's all throughout the Bible.
 Dei Gratia
Msg: 99
Posted: 11/2/2005 5:51:54 PM
Humm not that I really know this but what I would like to add is, Christ Jesus has died for everyone, and I know everyone will see him. the white throne of judgement. the dreaded day for most. What will be the Fair judgement Christ Jesus gives is His really not ours.

Matt 24

Show ALL Forums  > Religion  > Hey, Ok I may be taking a risk here but what are the benefits of Christians sharing the Gospel?