Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > flat stomachs      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Little Lady
Msg: 2
view profile
History
flat stomachsPage 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
I'm 46 years old, and my waist is a 27. I don't necessarily consider my stomach flat but other's do and I don't argue...lol. I guess I'm in decent shape for my age.

I do not have so much of a secret as I have just routines that I do at odd places. When standing in line at a cashier, (also while driving to work and home) I'll do stomach locks, or just tighten the muscles in my mid section while waiting in line. Why do nothing but stand there. Often I also do one leg bends simular to squats, just not as low, and ony one leg at a time. I know it can look silly at a line up, but I really don't worry what other's think. I'm exercising as much as possible rather then standing still.

When I am at home I'll do crunches, but more then that I will try to increase my flexability and lie down lifting my legs above my head to try to touch the floor. I only do this for around 10 to 15 minutes three times per week. I don't know if it does seriously help, but it's all I really do.

Best to you, just try to do what you can when you can. (kegel while driving is simple as well...hehe)
 lynney
Msg: 4
view profile
History
flat stomachs
Posted: 7/10/2006 4:18:56 PM
diet

exercise (cardio and weights, at least 3 times a week, with core at least twice a week)

drink lots of water

not really a secret.....
 JPitalian
Msg: 7
flat stomachs
Posted: 7/10/2006 7:14:17 PM
3 words diet, diet and diet. oh yeah some cardio doesnt hurt either. lol
 Bellabo
Msg: 13
view profile
History
flat stomachs
Posted: 7/26/2006 3:21:18 PM
Pilates, its that easy...

get a dvd then go to a qualified instructor that will show you the secrets, once you have mastered the breathing you'll use your abdominals throughout the day... good luck
 crazybeautifulkittie
Msg: 19
flat stomachs
Posted: 7/27/2006 9:00:52 AM
Ahh.. toning excercises (traditional crunchs and sit ups) plus oblique workouts. In addition to counting calories (read: eat healthy) and cardio excercises (3X a week). It's hard work... but it's worth it.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 25
flat stomachs
Posted: 7/30/2006 4:37:59 AM
What did it for me was a healthy diet (not to lose weight but just body fat), cardio, pilates and core training (fitness ball). My profile rate picture says it all....I actually now have the exact type abs I saw on TV and wanted.
 johnnyss
Msg: 35
flat stomachs
Posted: 9/10/2006 5:07:41 AM
I've read enough posts here to know most people do not know what they are talking about, most say the same thing. And I only needed to read two or three, ready, all?
Sure, everything said is obvious, what is not obvious, is you CAN and MUST spot train abs, EVERY WORKOUT! Abs are just like any other muscle group, hit em heavy, hit em fast, hit em hard! Sure, ab exercises are often boring, and excruciatingly painful, but hey, what isn't, when you want something bad enough? My workouts, daily, start with three ab exercises, three sest of 15 reps. Correct, I do not do a gazillon reps, I do heavy moves, and hard moves, and by 15, I am almost exhausted. Yes, you must go to failure, and then one more. You'll figure it out. Ab crunch chair, heavy,,,,hanging leg lifts with a dumbell between your ankles, then an oblique exercise. Also, end every workout on a slant board, with someone throwing a medicine ball at you, one set to faliure.
 junipermoon
Msg: 36
view profile
History
flat stomachs
Posted: 9/10/2006 5:25:34 AM
most people do crunches the wrong way.

when you do crunches, visualize your navel attached to your spine and your spine attached to the floor. maintain that while doing the crunches.

isometrics help too. tighten the abs and hold for 8 counts, then release. you can do this at your desk.

anything where you contract the muscles pushing them outward is counterproductive.

if you do plies the right way, that can help too. a book called 'the new york city ballet workout' has good information.

good luck.
 junipermoon
Msg: 40
view profile
History
flat stomachs
Posted: 9/11/2006 10:09:41 AM
i think you'll see a vast improvement.

soda is just nasty stuff! i won't even begin to detail all the evils there!

most people shouldn't do wheat at all. it causes all kinds of problems, the least of which is weight gain. a natural grocer should stock something called 'ezekiel bread.' the sprouted grains have readily available nutrients and don't cause the problems wheat does. if you can't find that, look for a good rye.
 junipermoon
Msg: 44
view profile
History
flat stomachs
Posted: 9/11/2006 10:55:48 AM
i get the celestial seasonings fruity teas (peach, blueberry etc). you can drop the bag in a glass of cold water and it will brew (they use lots of oils). they taste good and add no calories or sugar.

you don't need to cut out all bread, just wheat bread. rye, spelt and quinoa are all good.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 47
flat stomachs
Posted: 9/11/2006 11:10:38 AM
I used to drink tons of soda....that stuff'll kill you, even the diet soda isn't good for you. But I hate straight water....it's just boring.

Flavored water was the solution for me - Fruit 2 0, Propel (yes it has sugar but not nearly as much) and Crystal Light are what I like to drink. It's funny what your body gets used to - I was out to dinner last week and ordered Slice - holy crap I nearly fell off my chair from the sugar. I also changed to margarine and 1 percent milk. If you don't drink milk at all that's better but whole milk is pure evil. Eat nothing but fish, turkey and chicken - once or twice a month I will have a filet or burger but that's it. I never ate a ton of bread really...

And for the abs, pilates and core training on the stabilizer ball (including reverse hyperextensions and lower back crunches) combined with tons of elliptical and treadmill (about 2000 cals a week to drop body fat) did it for me.
 sexxxygirlie
Msg: 55
flat stomachs
Posted: 9/16/2006 11:38:32 PM
Drink lots of water, eat the right fats, crunches and cardio. Yoga actually does wonders to!
 satx78218
Msg: 58
view profile
History
flat stomachs
Posted: 6/19/2015 12:09:43 PM
there's no "spot reduction" , as in "lose only visceral/belly fat"
 Strings6
Msg: 59
view profile
History
flat stomachs
Posted: 6/21/2015 4:27:32 AM
Don't eat like a Pig
 Aprilikeswhiteroses
Msg: 60
flat stomachs
Posted: 6/21/2015 8:45:41 PM
^^
How do pigs eat?...:)
 HFX_RGB2
Msg: 61
flat stomachs
Posted: 6/22/2015 6:36:54 AM

there's no "spot reduction" , as in "lose only visceral/belly fat"

I heard someone at the gym tell someone about how sit-ups on an incline bench with weight would help "tone" their stomach.

So I asked her, what she meant by "tone" and she said to flatten, so then I asked her, If I do curls, will my biceps will they get flatter or bigger?

I smiled and walked away before she could answer.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 62
view profile
History
flat stomachs
Posted: 7/11/2015 2:53:44 AM
Flat abs..what does or doesn't go in your mouth.
Eat good fats/protien & avoid or eliminate starches/sugars/grains./processed foods.

Theres a 4-6 pack under most fat bellies waiting to get out and show them selves.

Food is key.It works. Nuts, avocados, coconut oil, flax oil and evoo. Good quality protein and lots of non starchy veggies.
Put extra fiber in your diet and dont do incorrect food combining ( bloating & gas).

"Made in the kitchen , not the gym" isn't just a T shirt.

To define them, yes CORE work (if you want that ripped look) but you have to be lean.
 slothlover_007
Msg: 63
flat stomachs
Posted: 8/23/2015 5:36:47 PM
I don't think there are any secrets, but I can only speak for myself.
I maintain my waist small by eating healthy ( no soda, no alcohol, cut out white carbs). I drink a lot of water and eat lots of yogurt, vegetables, lean meats. I also exercise 5 times a week....one hour a day. I go cycling, running, etc. I recommend cardio though. Hope this helps! =)
 Moderate_Recall
Msg: 64
flat stomachs
Posted: 8/23/2015 6:39:44 PM

I don't think there are any secrets, but I can only speak for myself.
I maintain my waist small by eating healthy ( no soda, no alcohol, cut out white carbs). I drink a lot of water and eat lots of yogurt, vegetables, lean meats. I also exercise 5 times a week....one hour a day. I go cycling, running, etc. I recommend cardio though.

Yes there are no hidden secrets to optimum physical health. You can also speak for many of us older Forumites who do make the extra effort of regular exercise and mostly healthy eating to stay relatively fit. A major effort over a year or more can even reverse some declining health effects like the very common obesity/diabetic conditions many suffer.

That continuous healthy diet with an hour daily exercise WILL work for most people without any disabilities. Excellent that you established that healthy habits lifestyle while in your low thirties or younger. The next decade or two will greatly challenge you to maintain and maybe even improve your fitness while getting older. You can do it!
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > flat stomachs