Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > what is the opposite to love?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 airmech1993
Msg: 2
view profile
History
what is the opposite to love?Page 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Love and Hate are highly-charged emotions, sometimes separated by a very wide, fuzzy grey line in the sand. But they are, in fact, opposites.
 flsoldier
Msg: 3
what is the opposite to love?
Posted: 7/22/2006 3:48:43 PM
I'm not sure I'd say it's entirely the opposite. I think it depends on the context in which someone is using the word, "love".

There are many ways to define it...it would stand to reason there are as many opposite definitions, other than "hate".

Colin
 c note
Msg: 4
Posted: 7/22/2006 4:05:05 PM
A friend recently said to me, "The opposite of love is indifference". I tend to agree.
 itsmeinco
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 7/22/2006 4:05:55 PM
^^^^^

I second "indifference."
 borhan9
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 7/22/2006 4:08:13 PM
I was going to also say hate but i think indiference is well said.
 *KD*
Msg: 7
Posted: 7/22/2006 4:08:53 PM
The feelings I have for my ex

Love is total emotion, so the opposite would be absolutely no emotion.
 roadspur
Msg: 8
Posted: 7/22/2006 4:14:07 PM
all in favor of the opposite of love is "indifference" say 'aye'

all opposed say 'nay'

the "ayes" have it, motion approved.
 Greeneyezz
Msg: 9
Posted: 7/22/2006 4:32:16 PM
^^^^ kdblue06 msg:7

Love is total emotion

Love is something that we "do & show" - it's expressed thru "action/s". It's not a "feeling based on emotion/s".
 airmech1993
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 7/22/2006 4:33:05 PM
I can agree to that.

My original line of thinking was simply "what other highly-charged emotion is opposite of Love?". I never thought of "opposite of highly-charged emotion is lack of emotion" bit.
 DrewBond007
Msg: 11
Posted: 7/22/2006 4:38:50 PM
the opposite to love is indifference
 Tanath
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 7/22/2006 4:39:58 PM
Hmm. There are different types of love... Love is a combination of qualities (passion, intimacy & commitment) in varying amounts, but indifference seems to have them all covered.
 montanadharma
Msg: 13
Posted: 7/22/2006 5:03:11 PM
FEAR.

Shalom,
Robert
 c note
Msg: 14
Posted: 7/22/2006 5:05:18 PM
No...if you're a functioning human being, fear is a PART of love...as is hate - the fine line theory.
 sddude
Msg: 16
Posted: 7/22/2006 5:07:17 PM
opposite mybe being repulsed instead of loved is the opposite.
 montanadharma
Msg: 17
Posted: 7/22/2006 5:14:21 PM

No...if you're a functioning human being, fear is a PART of love

If you "love" someone you don't fear them do you? Fear inhibits love.

If you fear losing love then it's not love, it is attachment. Love does not desire to possess. If your love possesses then you've only taken someone hostage.

I guess in order for the original question to be answered we must have a definition of love.

To me if I love it is independent of what that person thinks of me. It is independent of what that person does to me. My love is a personal thing and seldom invoked but once it is then it does not die, nor does it fade.

The Greeks had different types and names of love, kind of like how the Eskimo have many names for snow. Perhaps there is someone here that knows of the many names but I know of at least 2. There is Eros - the kind of love that lovers have, and there is also Agape - the kind of love one has for their children. I hope I got that right. Anyway, fear is the one thing that will destroy love, its solvent as it were.

Shalom,
Robert
 Russbear
Msg: 18
Posted: 7/22/2006 5:14:53 PM
Indefference is a lack of emotion, where love is when your filled with emotion, and if they are opposites that means that hate is also the opposite of indifference. So indifference is not the opposite. Hate is the opposite because love is the want to make someone feel good and happy and hate is when you want someone to be unhappy and suffer.

Limbo lu
 singleguy64
Msg: 19
Posted: 7/22/2006 5:25:18 PM
Hate is the opposite because love is the want to make someone feel good and happy and hate is when you want someone to be unhappy and suffer.

Ah, but many times when you, for instance, say you hate your ex-GF because she cheated on you, the reality is that you hate *what she did*, because of how much it hurt you. And the fact that you hate her so much, is actually because you still have those strong love emotions entangled in there.

For instance, my ex-GF *hated* her father, never had a single good word to say about him our entire relationship. But underlying that, the pain of it for her was that when she desperately needed him, as his daughter, to love her, he wasn't there. The underlying cause of the hate was that she really wished that he had loved her as a child.

Hate is a very strong emotion, and many times its "underlaid" with the fact that the person is someone you used to love. After all, if you didn't feel love, how could you be betrayed to the point of hating someone?

The opposite of both of those is indifference. I don't hate you, I don't love you, I never felt anything for you at all, and it doesn't matter to me what you do. (ie, when you 'hate' someone and they do something to piss you off, you 'hate them more' - you're still emotionally *bonded* to that person. If you are totally detached/indifferent, you just look at them and say 'boy are they stupid' - and walk away, with no emotions involved).
 c note
Msg: 20
Posted: 7/22/2006 5:31:03 PM

If you "love" someone you don't fear them do you? Fear inhibits love.

If you fear losing love then it's not love, it is attachment. Love does not desire to possess. If your love possesses then you've only taken someone hostage.

Not the fear of the person nor the fear of losing love...fear of the love itself. It's a scary situation that leaves one vulnerable. Fear is part of the process, completely natural - defining the emotion as true. At least that's how I see it.

Defining hate as the opposite of love is the obvious answer, which is often incorrect. Strong emotions such as love and hate - the opposite of strong emotion is zero emotion.
 johnglc
Msg: 21
Posted: 7/22/2006 5:36:26 PM
I agree with message 13........the closest opposite WORD to LOVE, for me, would be FEAR.
 montanadharma
Msg: 22
Posted: 7/22/2006 5:37:48 PM

It's a scary situation that leaves one vulnerable

And what is it that is scary about being vulnerable? It is the fear of being hurt. When one is in a state of fear there is no room for love because fear is the over-riding emotion.

In what you state, you’re not thinking about love, your thinking about you. Loving isn't about you, it's about someone else. Not to say you can't love you, it should be a prerequisite to loving anybody else, but again, you limit your love by focusing on yourself and your fears of what MIGHT happen. It's a whole lot of projection and removes one from a state where one can love.

As stated in a previous post, apathy does not work out logically.

Shalom,
Robert
 c note
Msg: 23
Posted: 7/22/2006 5:41:31 PM
Well, Robert...thank you for explaining my inability to love whole-heartedly...lol. Again, my view is a personal one. Until I learn how to stop being selfish, this thread leaves me cold - aka, indifferent.
 EarthMother1
Msg: 24
Posted: 7/22/2006 5:47:00 PM
~~And what is it that is scary about being vulnerable? It is the fear of being hurt. When one is in a state of fear there is no room for love because fear is the over-riding emotion.

In what you state, you’re not thinking about love, your thinking about you. Loving isn't about you, it's about someone else. Not to say you can't love you, it should be a prerequisite to loving anybody else, but again, you limit your love by focusing on yourself and your fears of what MIGHT happen. It's a whole lot of projection and removes one from a state where one can love.

As stated in a previous post, apathy does not work out logically.~~

Vulnerability, if truely in that place is scary. The reason and definition of the word! To be vulnerable is to be in a place physically or emotionaly to be hurt and/or taken advantage of. Opening ourselfs and being vulnerable is scary if you've ever been hurt. The matter of love, is that you make a consious choice to allow yourself to BE vulnerable. Being in a state of fear is one thing. Locking yourself there is another. You are not allowing into the equasion of your logic the expression of free will and choice. You are tossing out black and white logic in a world full of shades of gray.
 *KD*
Msg: 25
Posted: 7/22/2006 5:49:17 PM

Love is something that we "do & show" - it's expressed thru "action/s". It's not a "feeling based on emotion/s".

You do have to show your love for them and you do have to do things. You also have to feel it, somewhere inside there has to be something that makes you do all those things and show all those things.

"Looking down at my young daughter in her crib, curled up with her blanket. Her eyes half open. She reaches her hand to me and with her soft voice says'I love you daddy'. I softly move her hair out of her eyes and kiss her on the forehead. 'I love you too sweetheart, sweetdreams."

Not sure how anyone else would take that, but man I felt it something fierce. I didnt have to do anything except love her back.

So that's where I get the impression that love is emotion in it's purest form cemented with actions and words but beginning with your heart.
 aj7676
Msg: 26
Posted: 7/22/2006 5:50:11 PM
ITS INDIFFERENCE.
 montanadharma
Msg: 27
Posted: 7/22/2006 6:41:28 PM
I guess this is basically off-topic though not really....

I just look at us here as the micro and take a step back and look at the macro.

The US is most definitely not coming from a loving place. How is it that we avoid coming from that place? By sending constant propaganda of fear to the populace. We must fear the terrorists, we must fear the enemies of democracy, etc etc. So what do we do? We bomb the crap out of everybody, close off our borders i.e.; lose our vulnerability. This leads to isolation and spiritual death.

So back to the micro, we do the same sorts of things in relationship. Sure it hurts like hell to have someone you love walk away from you but you don't die from it. What is it we're afraid of? To live is to feel.

Sorry C, didn't mean to tell you how you are because I have no idea. I didn't mean to presume. Again, apologies.....

Shalom,
Robert
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > what is the opposite to love?