Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Gay Pride Parades      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 beavisHchrist
Msg: 1
Gay Pride ParadesPage 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
What do you people think of the annual gay pride parades?
I watched the one in Toronto this summer, and Im still not sure what I think of them.
On one hand I see them as an opportunity for tourists and straight people to watch a 'freak show' many have never seen drag queens before, or leather guys, or dykes on bikes, etc. These parades also have a way of representing the gay community as a bunch of 'disco' dancing hedonists. There was some controversy one year about a giant penis balloon, and both gays and nongays were concerned about it not being a family friendly event (Children in the crowd). But on the other hand so many people, the paraders, the mockers, the fun loving spectators were all having fun, and I dont see anything wrong with that. I didnt see one protester this year, or hear any 'going to hell' sermons. So I think the parades are a good thing; even though Id probably never be in one.
So Yay or Nay to the gay parayde?
 alaska2004
Msg: 2
Gay Pride Parades
Posted: 7/24/2006 12:21:04 AM
I should really stay away from threads like these but....what the he-- eh? My first question to you OP is if you think the gay parades are a good thing, why do you find reluctance in being part of one? I myself would no more be a participant IN a gay parade then say a police parade, fireman parade, etc. I might watch because I do like parades. Can you imagin a hetro parade complete with wedding cake figurines but in big ballon size with two to four little children in tow? Banners and large signs spouting wedding vows? The whole parade about hetro familys and none other form. Think it would happen? NOT!! The gay community and the ACLU would be up in arms and ready to sue. Do you notice that gay parades are one of the only type of parades where your "sexuality" is the actual issue of the parade itself? Excluding the Mardi-Graw in New Orleans where everyone (gay and non-gay)dresses like a sex freak of one kind or another. lol. All the different parades I have seen in person and on tv, sex is not a part of it. Why can't gays seperate themselves from their sexual preferences when doing a parade? Why can't they just dress normal in a parade that supports what they believe instead of dressing to advertise the fact that they are screwing each other in the asses and sucking each others**** and slits? Why the graphics? I myself will laugh at their costumes. But I also feel sorry at the same time for any human that feels the need to identify themselves through their sexuality in public like that, including New Orleans. It's a lame move in my opinion.
 beavisHchrist
Msg: 3
Gay Pride Parades
Posted: 7/24/2006 12:40:49 AM
Yes sir, Ive noticed the emphasis on the sexuality, that was one of my main objectives to the whole thing also.
As for me not going into the parade, well thats not because Im ashamed, I just dont feel the need to flaunt myself, and I just dont like the idea of having hundreds of people all looking at me, besides Im a regular looking guy, so seeing me out there would look kinda boring next to a flamboyant queen-parades should be theatrical I thought that was one of the main ideas.
 alaska2004
Msg: 4
Gay Pride Parades
Posted: 7/24/2006 12:42:00 PM
I totally agree Beavis. I could totally go for watching a gay parade with gay and lesbian people dressing crazily like any normal people do without all the sexual inuendos and things. My daughter went to our gay day parade here, just a small thing but I even noted in the pictues she took that a majority of people in the parade were men dressing to look like girls and vice-versa and then some in very sexual costumes. A lot of gays just can't seem to seperate the fact that to be gay does not mean you have to advertise it anymore. Being gay is an accepted life style.
 ginger_ninja
Msg: 5
Gay Pride Parades
Posted: 7/24/2006 1:09:18 PM

Being gay is an accepted life style.

Yeah, I haven't seen a parade but I support their right to express their sexuality in that way. I think most people these days do, its not such a big deal.
 nice2cu
Msg: 6
Gay Pride Parades
Posted: 7/24/2006 3:19:56 PM
First I'd like to state that I have no problem with the fact that the gay community has a parade.
The social barriers are coming down, and the gay lifestyle is becomming more accepted by society, *but* IMHO...perhaps the show should be tamed down just a little bit.
After all, these parades are put on in a very central part of town where there are lots of tax paying citizens who do not agree with the concept.
It's not like they can just change the channel or anything..
I think *more* people might grow to be ok with the gay lifestyle if the sexuality aspect of it wasn't pushed in their faces...ya know?

They have every right to be proud of who they are, and how far they've come in their mission to gain acceptance by society. That's a given.
I'm just saying maybe it could be done just a bit differently...so as not to offend anyone on their very *public* stage.

Just my thoughts..
 Gorshkov
Msg: 7
Gay Pride Parades
Posted: 7/24/2006 3:55:04 PM
I think Gay Pride parades have outlived their usefullness, and to be honest, I think they'r'e counter-productive as hell now.

Think about it. Joe Buttf.ck in Iowa.

If the guy sitting next to him for 20 years at the 'huskers games tell him he's gay, Joe will look at him funny and think "Damn - he looks normal"

When the one of the guys he goes duckhunting with every year tells him he's gay, Joe will think "Geeze - not a bad shot for a queer"

and so on.

And eventually, Joe will begin to think that gays are just normal folks, like everybody else, and he won't worry about it.

But what DOES Joe see?

Every year, he sees a 15 second clip on NBC News about the annual New York City Gay Pride parade .... which will inevitably feature the 15 Carman Mirandas on the lead float.

So guess what? Joe thinks that gays are freaks. Can you blame him?

If you want to advance the cause, have your parade where everybody wears what they do EVERY day. Let people see bankers, laywers, accountants, garbagemen, electritians, and mechanics go down the road.

And when people start saying "Damn - the look just like normal people", they'll start thinking of them that way.

I'm hetrosexual. If I walked downt he road wearing some of the things that are worn during those parades, I'd be arrested on indecency charges. Treat them the same.
 seu
Msg: 8
Gay Pride Parades
Posted: 7/24/2006 5:32:43 PM
personally, i think they are a bit silly, i mean we don't have parades for hetrosexuals, so why would you want one for being gay, its like a statement which is not needed, if your proud for being gay then fine, no need to start a festival on it
 RSwindol
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Gay Pride Parades
Posted: 7/24/2006 5:34:05 PM

When the one of the guys he goes duckhunting with every year tells him he's gay, Joe will think "Geeze - not a bad shot for a queer"

Wow, that was extremely condescending while simultaneously being completely ignorant. As if someone's sexual preference has anything to do with their ability to aim a gun.

And eventually, Joe will begin to think that gays are just normal folks, like everybody else, and he won't worry about it.

What is there for Joe to worry about? Are gay people dangerous in some way? Is he worried that one is going to jump out behind the bushes and grab him on the ass or scratch his homophobic eyes out? Don't worry, as long as there are people like you out there, there will always be someone who doesn't think gay people are normal.

If you want to advance the cause, have your parade where everybody wears what they do EVERY day. Let people see bankers, laywers, accountants, garbagemen, electritians, and mechanics go down the road.

I think you are missing the point of a gay pride parade. It's not about fitting in and not drawing attention to yourself. If that was their goal, they wouldn't hold a parade at all since the parade itself would make them stand out. That would be like protesting against the right to protest. It makes no sense. Also, it may come as a shock to you, but some gay people do dress flamboyantly and even dress in drag every day.

And when people start saying "Damn - the look just like normal people", they'll start thinking of them that way.

Gay people are no less normal that you or I. What you may find to be normal, someone else may find to be abnormal. If our armed forces paraded through the streets of New York City, do you not think that they would be wearing their uniforms? Their uniforms that they have earned through rigorous trials and tribulations? Can you really call these soldiers "normal" when 90% of our nation's population will never get to wear their uniform? They take pride in being abnormal and they wear their uniforms proudly as an indication of their abnormality.

Gay people too have endured endless criticism and discrimination, and they too wear their colors proudly while walking down the streets, knowing that they have payed their dues and overcome onslaughts of hatred, sarcasm and misunderstanding to get where they are now.

I'm hetrosexual. If I walked downt he road wearing some of the things that are worn during those parades, I'd be arrested on indecency charges.

A parade is an extenuating circumstance, so the authorities may be a bit more lenient. If we are to ask them to arrest every one of them that wore garments that we didn't agree with at a gay pride parade, then we would also have to ask them so show no leniency at events like Mardi Grass. Come on, do you really think their jail cells are that big?
 rollergrrl
Msg: 10
Gay Pride Parades
Posted: 7/24/2006 5:54:31 PM
i just skated in a gay pride parade with my roller derby league. i'm not gay, but still had a great time. from my perspective it wasn't that much different than any other parade and A LOT more tame than our mardi gras parade.

it's just a bunch of people celebrating. not productive nor counter productive. it just is.
 el barto
Msg: 11
Gay Pride Parades
Posted: 7/24/2006 6:04:52 PM
rs... i think youre missing his point(s), and i dont agree with your interpretation of what he wrote. i think that theres something in there. hes saying that the flamboyancy of the parades might drive other people further away from acceptance. I have seen this in action actually...the flambouyancy driving people away. theres a real opportunity to get the message out and that they may be blowing it by the complete extravegance displayed. and yes, acceptance is an issue. you may not agree with the lifestyle, but at least you can accept it. if you dont agree with the lifestyle and you dont accept it, then you have stupid sh!t like gay bashing and severe discrimination. so it is a concern to be accepted...dont say it isnt. they may not care about aceptance of any particular individual person, but on a larger societal level, acceptance is important. thats why they have the parades in the first place.

OT: i think youd find that a lot of moderate gay people think the parades go too far. but, that very act of going too far is saying "f@ck you...we're queer and we're here and we're not gonna be ashamed of it" so it comes out in the very flambouyant way. would i go to watch the gp parade? probably not. but i applaud them for doing it. having several gay people as friends and knowing the sh!t they went through and continue to go through...its a real empowering outlet for them to be a part of this and see it on grand display.
 Mr. Ivan
Msg: 12
Gay Pride Parades
Posted: 7/24/2006 6:15:15 PM
Gays can be as wild and crazy as straights. Look at Mardi Gras for example. Who is calling that a "freak show" or a misrepresentation the straight community?

I'm straight! Okay let me say it with a STRAIGHT face! I'M STRAIGHT! I wouldn't mind going to these parades (with a mask on, of course). They seem like fun and I'm a curious fellow. Did I already say I was straight? Yes, I did. Whew!
 RSwindol
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Gay Pride Parades
Posted: 7/24/2006 6:52:33 PM

hes saying that the flamboyancy of the parades might drive other people further away from acceptance.

I didn't disagree with the fact that some people may be repulsed by the situation and may be driven away, but the fact is, no matter what you do, someone out there is going to get offended. It's just the way things are. Obviously there are more people out there that are starting to accept these flamboyant displays of pride than there are people who are turned away by them. The reason that I say this is obvious is because more and more people go each year.

so it is a concern to be accepted...dont say it isnt.

Where did I ever say that it's not a concern to be accepted? I just said that it wasn't their concern to be what the homophobic population considers to be the norm. Of course it's important for people of all walks of life to feel accepted, but that doesn't mean that people have to walk the straight and narrow and be perfectly normal to be accepted. They want to be accepted for who they are, not for who they have sex with, and there are plenty of people in this world who do accept them for just that. But the fact that it took them so long to reach this level of acceptance is the exact reason why they are celebrating. So tell me why someone would go through the trouble of organizing a celebration of their differences just to walk through the streets being the same as everyone else and not different.

but on a larger societal level, acceptance is important. thats why they have the parades in the first place.

No it's not. It's called a gay "pride" parade, not a gay "acceptance" parade. It's to celebrate the acceptance into the overall community that they have already achieved and to show support and acceptance for all other gay people.
 el barto
Msg: 14
Gay Pride Parades
Posted: 7/24/2006 7:45:28 PM
i agree with most of your points...thanks for clarifying.
but let me ask you...do you think that a gp parade that was held this year would have been "acceptable" in 1950??
 Polly_G
Msg: 15
Gay Pride Parades
Posted: 7/24/2006 10:06:36 PM
I find it sad we are still at a stage we have to debate stuff like this.

I feel very fortunate to have been raised not to fear stuff like this.
 Carrie Bradshaw™
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Gay Pride Parades
Posted: 7/24/2006 11:04:53 PM
They are gay. They have a parade. It is not a big deal....What year are we in?
~Carrie B.
 RSwindol
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Gay Pride Parades
Posted: 7/25/2006 12:03:09 AM
but let me ask you...do you think that a gp parade that was held this year would have been "acceptable" in 1950??

Not at all, which is exactly why I say that the parade is not used to gain acceptance, but to celebrate the acceptance and recognition that they have achieved since 1950. I don't know if I can state that in a more clear fashion, so if you still don't understand, I am sorry.
 cassidy182
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Gay Pride Parades
Posted: 7/25/2006 12:29:21 AM
personally, i think they are a bit silly, i mean we don't have parades for hetrosexuals, so why would you want one for being gay, its like a statement which is not needed, if your proud for being gay then fine, no need to start a festival on it

Isn't this the same as saying something silly like..why do african americans have a black history month...we don't have white history month.....something to that effect??

It's a parade..so what?? It's fun to watch and hey people can do what they want these days...

darkangelofdeath™
Msg: 19
Gay Pride Parades
Posted: 7/25/2006 12:53:40 AM
i have nothing against gays. Well hell of course not..my profile should explain why.
Gay men seem to have some of the best qualities a man can possess.

but Gay pride festivals? i really have no comment about that.
 beavisHchrist
Msg: 20
Gay Pride Parades
Posted: 7/25/2006 1:38:37 AM
"I find it sad we are still at a stage we have to debate stuff like this."
^ well I was asking for people's opinions on it; and Im glad I did because its really great to hear from somebody like RS Windol who understands what the parade is all about.

"It is not a big deal..."
^for me it is-gay pride parades are still history in the making because they are changing every year I see one; and they in turn are influencing changes to society.

My first post makes it sound like I dont approve of the overt sexuality in parades, but thats not what I mean since gay cultures have always involved raunchiness, and sexual playfulness-Im perfectly content with that; I was just wondering how many of you can handle that? Saying that everybody should look 'normal' is an impossibility-times change and so does 'normal'. Not many of us really care if women wear pants nowadays, but at one time it wasnt acceptable. What looks silly to some people, looks beautiful to others-people who gender-bend still have a long way to go until the day they can walk down the street without being ridiculed and harassed. Theres room in this society for more diversity, including different expressions of gender, and gender-roles; people still choose to point and stare, but eventually some of those people will realize that those crazy drag queens are some of the most fun people to be around. So no, gay pride hasnt run its course yet; its also a representation of that country's tolerance-people moving to north america for instance, who come from countries where homosexuality is still punishable by law, need to see that there's progress here, and acceptance. At least by some of us.
 Fenrisson
Msg: 21
Gay Pride Parades
Posted: 7/25/2006 1:43:57 AM
So what is so silly in that question, why is questioning a double standard a no go? How about it, why not have a hetro pride parade, or a White History month (and don't give me the "every other month is White History month" bunk), what do you have to fear? We have spent the last 40 odd years finding things to be ashamed of isn't it about time to start celebrating our history?
I have a few other silly questions to ask as well.
Why is it that if you don't agree with public displays of homosexuality you are a homophobe? Perhaps people who use that term are hetrophobes.
If your orientation and what you do in the privacy of your bedroom is no one's beeswax, why then the need for public demonstrations, awards ceremonies, gay friendly advertising, gay bath houses, gay marriage, gay ministers, gay school ciriculums, etc.? If gays keep thier sexuality anymore to themselves they will be waking us up Saturday mornings to tell us of the gospel's of Harvey Milk.
I honestly question the mentality of anyone that obsesess so completely over where ther're sticking what into where to the point that they feel the need to throw a parade to celebrate it.
 darkangelofdeath™
Msg: 22
Gay Pride Parades
Posted: 7/25/2006 1:51:49 AM
to gain acceptance of being gay? why do you need a festival to celebrate a sexual preference? who cares? you either are or you aren't...people accept it or they don't. We don't need gay pride festivals. There are far much more useful festivals that could be put on.
 beavisHchrist
Msg: 23
Gay Pride Parades
Posted: 7/25/2006 2:14:56 AM
Its not that the gay community needs everyone to accept gay sex, we'll do that whether its accepted or not, lol
Its a public display for being Proud, and no I dont mean being proud that we have 'freakish' sex, its pride about being the person we truly are, and living a lifestyle that comes natural to us, instead of living a lie.

Sure there's a sexual theme to the parade-but look around you, theres sexuality everywhere. The tv, advertising, all media and all living things. The Puritan utopia just didnt work out. darrrrrrn!

Have either of you tried to think what its like to live in another person's shoes? Maybe if you try that, you'll understand why there's a need, because right now, you just dont 'get it.
 RSwindol
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Gay Pride Parades
Posted: 7/25/2006 3:24:35 AM
personally, i think they are a bit silly, i mean we don't have parades for heterosexuals, so why would you want one for being gay, its like a statement which is not needed, if your proud for being gay then fine, no need to start a festival on it

That's the kind of statement that only an uninformed, straight person could make.

So what is so silly in that question, why is questioning a double standard a no go?

First off, it's not a double standard since no one is saying that they can have a parade and you can't. You need to realize why these parades are being organized. Generally, parades such as gay pride parades are used to celebrate the groups hard work toward acceptance into a population who once severely oppressed them. This can be said not only for Gay people, but African Americans, women, and other groups. All of the mentioned groups have overcome cataclysmic discrimination in the past and a parade not only celebrates their achievements thus far, but also keeps the ball rolling so that perhaps someday all people may be treated equally.

With that said, when was there a time in American history where white people and straight people were oppressed to the point of not being able to vote, use a public restroom, or even marry the person of their choosing? Hell, when were they ever oppressed at all? If you want to go out and organize a heterosexual, Caucasian parade then knock yourselves out, but don't expect a big turn out.

In fact, all you really have to do to find supporters of your opinion is join the KKK.
 lira
Msg: 25
Gay Pride Parades
Posted: 7/25/2006 10:26:39 AM
I am proud to be straight. I am attracted to men. No women has ever turned me on. I am proud ofwho I am.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Gay Pride Parades