Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Religion  > Demonic Posession and Exorcism      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 LickyitySplit
Msg: 1
Demonic Posession and ExorcismPage 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
I was just curious on where believers and non-believers stand on this subject.

I personally am a strong believer in the spiritual relm, i have seen enough to believe that possession is very real and that both angels and demons surround us constantly wheather we know it or not.

For example. I watched THE EXORCISM OF EMILY ROSE yesterday and i wanted to know how many people believe that it was simply an illness or if it is possible that she really was possessed? And can this happen in this day and Age??
 nice2cu
Msg: 2
Demonic Posession and Exorcism
Posted: 7/25/2006 3:33:56 PM
I enjoyed that movie too!
It sure makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up..

Personally I have no experience with anything of this nature but I keep an open mind.
Anything is possible until proven otherwise.
 ninjasword701
Msg: 3
Posted: 7/25/2006 9:48:27 PM
Exorcism seems to only involve catholics...wonder why?
 LickyitySplit
Msg: 4
Posted: 7/25/2006 10:40:24 PM
That's what they say but what other word would you use to cast out a demon?? Sounds like performing an exorcism, mind you Christians do it differently. Ones that believe in Spiritual warfair that is.
 neseemoo
Msg: 5
Posted: 7/25/2006 11:30:21 PM
No they don't just involve catholics. Many energy workers/healers work with this stuff all the time. many cult abuse survivirs are full of other peoples spirit and require intense clearing. Many people hear, feel stuff different in themselves a lot of times. It's pretty common. I saw the movie too and found it very accurate. Scarey accurate! Holliwood is finally getting experts in to consult on these types of films, and it shows! The reason the energy spoke stuff she already knew is that frequencies still need to funnel through the stored conciousness of the actual persons body. Thus they can only use the vocabulary or understandings that that person has been exposed to. I have never seen one as bad as that but have had my share of people that needed clearing. One guy could never leave a 25 mile radius of his home without the wheel of his truck turning, or getting a panic attack. 10 years he lived like this and saw 4 different psychiatrists till he got cleared. He's fine now and travels a lot. Weird Sh*t happens.
 fitman2005
Msg: 6
Posted: 7/26/2006 12:56:29 AM
Hi Yes I believe the Biblical account of demons and such...but how does such a young girl as yourself experience so much of this phenomenon??

The Emily Rose case is supposedly based on true events. I did see the movie and it was very sad indeed. I do believe the poor girl was possessed. Would you care to describe here what you have seen in this realm??-exactly.

Thanks.
 Spelly
Msg: 7
Posted: 7/26/2006 3:06:10 AM
There was actually an exorcism in the city where I live that happened in the early 70's if memory serves. I interviewed one of the priests for my 8th grade class paper, and while he was very circumspect in his answers, he did talk openly about the process involved in deciding if it's a true case of possession. Not something they take lightly. The Vatican gets involved and it takes a fair bit of time for the decision to be made. The seriousness with which he treated the issue was somehow scarier than the issue itself......
 CountIbli
Msg: 8
Posted: 7/26/2006 7:14:59 AM
The most frightening aspect of it all is that many people actually believe it's true.
 Karn_Evil_9
Msg: 9
Posted: 7/26/2006 8:45:08 AM
You have to take Hollywoods statement " Based on a true story" with a grain of salt. The Amityville Horror was supposively based on a true story and so was Serpent and a Rainbow.
I think the priest( Father Damien) in " The Exorcist" said it best when Ellen Burstyns character ask about whether Exorcisms are still performed. His reply was no. She asks why. His response was paraphrased "ever sense they discovered mental illnesses like schizophrenia, Dementia, temporal lobe epilepsy etc etc". Now, that said, believe it or not, Exorcisms are alive and well in certain parts of Yemen.
 LickyitySplit
Msg: 10
Posted: 7/26/2006 10:01:35 AM
I have seen a lot because i was open too it, i believe it, and i stand strong in my faith. Therefore i know the authority i have in Jesus Christ and was not afraid to use it. I use to go to Vancouver and perform street dramas. It was on the streets of Vancouver that i have seen the most.

We had one drama that told the last 12 hours of Jesus' life. In the midst of it a man came running through speaking in tounges, many Christians were around and immediatly began to pray. He got right in the face of the man playing Jesus and openly challenged him. The man playing Jesus quietly said "in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ I command you to leave" the guy then fell to his knees, eyes in the back of his head and crawled away screaming. That was my first experience. Like i said, i was open to it. I have seen much more. I have seen a friend of mine over come her boyfriend with one hand, again eyes red and rolled into the back of her head.

This stuff is very real. I don't know anything about Exorcism (the catholic way of doing it) i know what the bible tells us we have authority in Christ. It also says that our biggest battle is not against flesh and blood but against the evil forces of darkness.
 Raveninns
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 7/26/2006 11:57:52 AM
Native spirituality's most fundamental belief is that we all walk in both worlds, (some more adept than others) and the spirit world is as real as our own reality. Everything is connected. Those who have left this world with negative issues retain those negative issues, and sometimes "attach" themselves to familiar people. There is a process in which Medicine people from both realms try to heal the situation, however, the outcome is entirely dependant on the affected person's attitude.

The fundamental difference between Native spirituality and Christianity's take on this issue is that Native spirituality believes that those who "haunt" those in this world need to be healed before they can rejoin the Creator.

Cheers!
 neseemoo
Msg: 12
Posted: 7/26/2006 10:07:13 PM
Absolutly agree with you raveninns. And there are just not enough people trained to do this from the physical side anymore. There are lots of good helpers trying really hard to help from that side though.
The ones that have the hardest time to move on and heal, are the ones who believe in hell. They figure that they are already damned and will have no forgivness anyway.
Also the ones who die drunk, or stoned out. Those ones are all over and will attatch themselves to other people drinking and getting high with chemicals, So someone wanting to quite drinking lets say, who does not get cleared, will sometimes have hundreds around them saying stuff like, Have another drink, just one more, no one will know, you deserve one and on and on. They attatch themselves to the persons energy field for a "contact high". Thats why IMO the rehab places that have medicine people working there have a much higher sucsess rate. These ones have to detox too, from the addiction that keeps them earthbound. It's soo sad when you look in those realms. Especially latley with the crack heads! Praying for them instead of being scared of them works better for sure, but most people have no experience or understanding of these things. Another reality does not exist for them.
 fitman2005
Msg: 13
Posted: 7/26/2006 11:07:07 PM
thank you Royleen for sharing that. -And you were just a casual observer reporting what you saw. I think it supports the Biblical record of such events.

The verse you are quoting is from Ephesians 6:12 " For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places."
 Guy Ledouche
Msg: 14
Posted: 7/27/2006 1:09:31 AM

The man playing Jesus quietly said "in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ I command you to leave" the guy then fell to his knees, eyes in the back of his head and crawled away screaming.

This is what pentecostals do. Eyes in the back of the head, frothing at the mouth, babbling incoherently, rolling around on the floor. Of course pentecostals are mistaken when they think G-d is with them at this point.
 Titanvalley
Msg: 15
Posted: 7/27/2006 2:36:37 AM
When christian obey God and they say "come out in Jesus name" people do manifest demons then. It is not acting or madness. I have seen it, and interaction. That is that the spirits cry out together to distract, and are commanded to be silent, and become silent.

See also, http://globalrevival.e3server.com/main.asp?ID=2

Robin experienced demons on a demonic cause.

Pentecostals never froth at the mouth and such things and think it is God. We can tell the difference between spirits and God. Except on the fringes.

There is the other side too. One prayer in tongues was taken and heavily sedated for a year for praying in tongues.
 Mr. Ivan
Msg: 16
Posted: 7/27/2006 5:47:42 PM
Total bunk.

It used to happen a lot in the past but then again, in the past, we didn't have science and education as strongly as we do now. Nowadays, excorcism is relegated to third world nations.

You could say it's a mental illness. It could be fake to get attention. It could be many other things. What is stopping you from accepting the most easiest and logical explanation to this? Why make it hard on yourself by asking and asking how and how it happens? The answer is simple. It's only for fun to keep making it a mystery.

justmeinnc05
Msg: 17
Posted: 7/27/2006 6:11:50 PM
I do not think humans can be possessed by demons as I do not believe in demons. I think that many mentaly ill men and women have suffered over the years because of this way of thinking.
 xNyx
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 7/27/2006 8:43:47 PM
"Schizophrenia is a psychiatric diagnosis that describes a mental disorder characterized by impairments in the perception or expression of reality and by significant social or occupational dysfunction. A person experiencing untreated schizophrenia is typically characterized as demonstrating disorganized thinking, and as experiencing delusions or auditory hallucinations. Although the disorder is primarily thought to affect cognition, it can also contribute to chronic problems with behavior and emotion. Due to the many possible combinations of symptoms, there is ongoing and heated debate about whether the diagnosis necessarily or adequately describes a disorder, or alternatively whether it might represent a number of disorders."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schizophrenia
 roxygemini
Msg: 19
Posted: 7/27/2006 8:55:57 PM
I have eaten a few souls in my day.
 LickyitySplit
Msg: 20
Posted: 7/27/2006 10:07:30 PM
Devil Theory

Ok i see what your're getting at and i know a lot about Schizophrenia. But how do we know that its not real?? Just because we can't see it does not mean its not real right? I think there is a line between mental Illness and demonic activity. I'm not saying that Schizophrenia is not all demonic, but ppl that i have talked to who have seen demons and such don't see them anymore. If they would of told a dr. he probably would have said you suffer from Schizophrenia, yet he goes through the biblical way of dealing with it and its no longer an issue. How do we know where to draw the line?? And how can people say that just because WE can't see it, its not real. We can't see God, yet many of us believe he's real... just a thought
 Titanvalley
Msg: 21
Posted: 7/28/2006 1:50:33 AM
Demons are real. We aren't the source of all our race's evils. And diseases.

Jesus was not lying or tricking when He cast out a spirit from a boy suffering from epilepsy. Murder, adultery, fornication, stealing... are all inspired by unclean spirits. So here I referred to the Gospel.

Death is a spirit.
 Karn_Evil_9
Msg: 22
Posted: 7/28/2006 8:28:33 AM
any questions?
 madfidlr
Msg: 23
Posted: 7/28/2006 12:57:01 PM

Ok i see what your're getting at and i know a lot about Schizophrenia. But how do we know that its not real?? Just because we can't see it does not mean its not real right? I think there is a line between mental Illness and demonic activity. I'm not saying that Schizophrenia is not all demonic, but ppl that i have talked to who have seen demons and such don't see them anymore. If they would of told a dr. he probably would have said you suffer from Schizophrenia, yet he goes through the biblical way of dealing with it and its no longer an issue. How do we know where to draw the line?? And how can people say that just because WE can't see it, its not real. We can't see God, yet many of us believe he's real... just a thought

The Bedouin have a saying...Trust in Allah, but tie your camel first.

It is entirely possible that the mechanism of an "exorcism" be it Protestant or Catholic, or Voudoun or something altogether different, causes a reaction in the posessed. Street drama is an interesting phrase. Having watched and participated many years ago in a Pentecostal style exorcism, and now able to view it unblinkered from the outside, I can see that what went on was in fact a complex psychodrama. It caused the individual to be treated to externalize their aggressive or negative behaviour and personify it in the form of a "demonic" personality that the exorcist would then use the traditional trappings of the faith i.e. prayers, chants and laying on of hands to remove. You got the whole nine yards...speaking in tongues, eye-rolls, shuddering, fainting, roaring, yada yada...then peaceful smiles and exhausted catharsis.

Absolutely no different from Haitian Voudou...but when they do it, its called the work of Satan. From an anthropological point of view its all the same thing.

It could be a valuable tool in dealing with the emotional condition of believers and helping rid them of negative personality traits when used safely and in context...alas there are just too many whackos who A) think they are the right hand of God B) take everything too literally C) need their meds elevated. These are the folks who "beat" the devil out of their children, or hold down the posessed until they suffocate or burn the devil out, etc.

There may very well be genuine spiritual entities that exist...in fact in the ritual of exorcism we may be creating and destroying them...that would be how western occultism views it.

But if anyone charges you money for an exorcism or wants money to show you how to do one (I can think of one major well known ministry in the USA selling videos on Spiritual Warfare)...RUN THE OTHER WAY! He's posessed by Mammon!
 LickyitySplit
Msg: 24
Posted: 7/28/2006 2:20:06 PM
Just so people know, i'm not trying to start a debate!!! i just want opinions!!!

I guess everyone views it differently. When i said street drama i don't think you understand what i was talking about. If you want to see it google DRIME and pictures will come up to explain what was happening and will also talk about spiritual warfare.

And for the record, there was no "laying our hands upon him or chanting" it was simple prayers and one command. I never said that he was happy or relieved he simply crawled away down the side walk. That is not the first experience i have had. I've seen lots and they all have one thing in common, only ONE thing can stop them. A prayer combined with faith, its an unbeatable combination.
 BlueberryMuffin
Msg: 25
Posted: 7/28/2006 2:36:46 PM
Exorcisms don't just apply to Catholics...it may not be named the same thing, but I have seen in my old Penticostal church the same thing. I got the Heck scared out of me! It took forever to get that spirit out of this woman that came into church. She came to the alter, saying help me, then she started cussing in another voice. She was strong too! I remember my pastor speaking to that devil inside of her....it was spitting and snarling. About that time I got up out of my pew and ran for the door. I didn't come back until the next service that was scheduled. I did learn that the woman was delivered that night, and never returned. But when she was delivered, she was herself, crying and explaining what was happening to her.

We call it deliverence when someone else may call it exorcism.
Show ALL Forums  > Religion  > Demonic Posession and Exorcism