Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Would you date a man who lost everything?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Bristow1978
Msg: 3
Would you date a man who lost everything?Page 1 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
I dated a woman who was financially a mess. I'll tell like this, i ended up divorced and somehow in alot of credit trouble thanx to her and her Credit Cards, among other things.
 Pandy
Msg: 4
Would you date a man who lost everything?
Posted: 3/8/2005 9:29:15 AM
I've been there myself, Mt' , I would date someone regardless of financial standing
 astrosky
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 3/8/2005 9:44:55 AM
Yes provided he was actively rebuilding his life and not stuck in a self-pity spiral.
 Passinthru
Msg: 8
Posted: 3/8/2005 11:04:03 AM
All these beautiful supportive women................

Makes me want to lose it all and start over right now :wink:
 Sir James
Msg: 9
Posted: 3/8/2005 11:52:04 AM
I hear some in here saying they would not mind someone who lost it all but was working hard at getting it back. No no one likes a slacker but I think the ugly snake of hypocrisy has reared it's head.
First wife 1980 Had a growing business and a house, with a pool and even had time to build a show car and a drag car. (She wanted the show car) April 1980 the recession hits unemplyment hovers around 35%. I lose everything and the wife starts fooling around with a supposed friend while I'm out working 3 jobs to get it all back.
Second wife. I'm a rising star in a high turnover sales business. It happens. Made boss look like idiot he is in front of brass. I lose that job but start work for compitition 2 days later at $15000 more and better benifits. She says she can't stay cause I'm not stable like her father. Zoom back to Texas.
Third wife. We're both upper management. I leave to start own business in same field. Going great hire employees. take away huge account from a compititor. Then I get broken into and insurance doesn't cover enough. Employees get hired away and I lose huge account all in 2 weeks. I'm fed up with career. I take a step back and get into something I've always loved. Carpentry and renovations. I'm happier than I've been in years. Wife comes home from vacation and says she's thought about it but has to give me the boot. our worlds are too different now.
Gee doesn't look like anyone stood by me.
BUT I WILL NOT GIVE UP! Yes I'm shouting. I may be down but I'll never give up EVER!
OK where are you?
 Passinthru
Msg: 11
Posted: 3/8/2005 12:04:50 PM
Does every thread have to turn into an opportunity to whine?

Am I whining now?

d*mn, has it rubbed off me now?

I gotta get outa here- stat!
 Sir James
Msg: 12
Posted: 3/8/2005 12:50:08 PM
Thanks Dar I do believe everyday is a learning experience.
I'm sorry if it came across as whineing. that was not my intention because I don't hold them responsible for my problems or my happyness. I also would never ask another to support me finacially! Must be that stubborn protestant work ethic my father instilled in me. There is an old saying, You've got to love yourself before you can love others. I do and when I love others it's unconditional. I'm reminded of the Candian Goose. They mate for life. If one "Spouse" is sick and can't fly, the other doesn't just take off at the first opportunity.
BTW I only hold my first with anything close to contempt because the others had at least the honesty to tell me why they wanted out.
Today's a nice sunny day and tomorrow holds so much promise.
Lets dance bannana
 neverbeenlaid
Msg: 13
Posted: 3/8/2005 12:59:20 PM
ya, way to stick with it jamie. when you finally get a change in luck and bank your first billion they will all be sorry for being so fickle
 Sir James
Msg: 14
Posted: 3/8/2005 1:01:18 PM
Oh god thats too funny!!!! ROTFLMFAFO
 Sir James
Msg: 17
Posted: 3/8/2005 9:14:14 PM
Thanks Onthebus. I got so tired of the BS and politics that goes on in the corporate world. The more i produced it seemed the more I threatened the PTB (Powers that be). Huh? Wasn't that why you hired me? Now I get to create with my hands and my mind. I have clients that WANT what I do. and If they don't like it I get to do it all over again and they pay for it! Unless I f**k up of course, but thats getting pretty rare now. I get to drive arond Toronto and London and point at houses and say "I did that". Man what a feeling! Now if I only had someone to share it with. LOL
 Sir James
Msg: 18
Posted: 3/8/2005 9:16:36 PM
Gee I hope that doesn't sound desperate? LOL
 suzysuzy
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 3/10/2005 1:51:16 PM
well I do it all the time.... maybe not lost everything but I've date a lot of guys over the years who were following their passion (i.e. writers etc.) and had little income to show for it. Hell I don't care, I wanted to be with THEM not there money and possessions!!!!
 Raven34
Msg: 23
Posted: 3/10/2005 7:21:58 PM
I'm one of the silly girls that thinks you can live on love so the money thing isn't an issue with me. We all hit hard times and it's nice to have some emotional support when we do.
 Sir James
Msg: 28
Posted: 3/12/2005 8:07:34 AM
@ taurus

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FINANCIAL SECURITY!!!!

Amen Brother.

I'm going out with my father today to help the veterans at Parkwood Hospital here in London and I think back on how many different jobs my father had and how sometimes we couldn't afford all the crap that our neighbours had but my mom still stuck with him and went out to work herself. They're celebrating 50 years in November. I may have had some bad luck in my life but but it's been my good fortune to have them for parents. I explain more in the thread about parents.
 Sir James
Msg: 31
Posted: 3/16/2005 6:30:35 AM
Why does almost every women whose answered this question believe that a man who has lost everything is going to ask for your finacial help?
I've lost everything before, and it'll be a frosty day in hell before I ask for money from anyone let alone a women I'm involved with. Call it pride call it stupidity call it what ever you want but I have to earn it back myself. You never appreciate anything thats given to you, without effort.
 astrosky
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 3/16/2005 9:32:24 AM
Jamie - because so many of them do, and have no qualms about asking (or even demanding) financial help. As in "if you love me you'll prove it by paying for" this, that & the other, "I'd do the same for you" - which is something they'll never have to worry about because they never intend to be self-supporting. Yeah there are a lot of guys with pride who won't do that. But there are a whole lot who will - and they'll ask for anything - up to and including bailing them out of jail, paying off their debts, and filling up the gas tank of your car so they can drive it to go cheat on you.
 Sir James
Msg: 34
Posted: 3/16/2005 11:02:55 AM
Geeze Astrosky, sounds like your descibing my first wife. Just reminded me of something my second wife did. She wanted a car to get around in. I happened to get a deal from work on a 2 year old Grand Cherokee. Loaded.
She got upset (Really upset) because it wasn't a Volvo or a BMW.
I don't think I've heard yet of a guy on these forums express a demand for the women he's interesed in to be finacially independent.
I quess it's hard to unlearn a lot of the old rules

Just curious . Whats the meaning behind your handle (Astrosky)?
 astrosky
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 3/16/2005 11:19:26 AM
astro = I'm into astrology
sky = my initials

A lot of people think it means I like the dog (astro) on the Jetsons, LOL.
 Sir James
Msg: 37
Posted: 3/16/2005 11:50:33 AM
This subject brings to mind a story in the bible of a protitue who washed Jesus feet with her hair.. She followed Jesus every where after that. And did Jesus not give up everything that he had. But yet Jesus was a perfect man. And without his dying for our sins we would all fall short.

You might want to do a little more research on that "Prositute" According to the latest research into the Qumran Scrolls found in 1948 ( I believe?) tha woman was actually Mary Magdelene. Jesus the Christ's WIFE! That episode was during the marriage ceremony.
Jesus was a Hellenoist Jew and their marriage rules were very weird compared to todays standards.
Just about everything in the old and new testaments was a parable describing things for "Those who have ears" meaning if you didn't know the code you didn't understand the underlying message. Remember the romans wern't too fond of the jews back then and were always finding any excuse for sticking them up on a cross.

I'm not a religious fanatic. I just love a mystery and have been doing a lot of personal research into the greatest STORY ever written.
 Sir James
Msg: 38
Posted: 3/16/2005 11:51:59 AM
Yeah I know Who Cares? It's just that my head gets full of useless info and it just kinda leaks out every once in awhile
 Sir James
Msg: 40
Posted: 3/16/2005 12:26:35 PM
Are you sure he paid that price? Again I refer to the Qumran Scrolls. Been buried for almost 2,000 years. They tell a much different story than the one the catholic church would have you believe. They have a lot of the gospels that didn't make it into the catholics version because they said things that contradicted their version of history. I don't believe half of what i hear or read anymore unless I've gotten it from 3 different sources.

They tell of the story of Jesus being crucified but taken down after only several hours. He was drugged to seem to be dead.

Anyways this is called thread hijacking
Back to our regularly scheduled program
 Sir James
Msg: 42
Posted: 3/16/2005 1:41:59 PM
HUH?^^^^^^^^^
 astrosky
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 3/16/2005 1:51:05 PM
hee hee Jamie looks like you pushed a button or two
 Sir James
Msg: 45
Posted: 3/16/2005 8:03:33 PM
Gee astrosky do you think it was something I said?

I guess I should be nice. I hesitated here I was going to type something else entirely.
Actually I do envy people like her. They are so convinced by their believe that absouloutly (sp?) nothing will make them change their minds. It would be so nice not to have to think sometimes.
I on the other hand have a quite open mind. Not so open that it falls out but I do try to listen to everyone's opinion. Then I make my own. And it's NOT carved in stone. I will change it if you can come up with a convincing argument. Every day is a learning experience and sometimes it's learning that what I believed yesterday is no longer true
 Pandy
Msg: 48
Posted: 3/17/2005 6:32:05 AM
you ROCK, ladydi
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Would you date a man who lost everything?