Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Stevia.....Yeah or Nay?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 gentlegiant127
Msg: 4
Stevia.....Yeah or Nay?Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
I definitely agree with OmShanti!. Stevia is an all natural sweetener and does not cause tooth decay or put one at risk for developing diabetes like sugar does, and from all I've read over the years, its much better than aspartame(nutrasweet), splenda(sucralose), saccharin, acesulfame-k, etc.
For some dumb reason though, the FDA has blocked Stevia from being used in food products(such as ice cream or soda)and only allows it to be sold by itself or as part of a supplement(such as protein powder). Some say the reason was the sugar industry had influence over the FDA and thats why Stevia was never fully accepted by the FDA.
 AmandaJS58
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Stevia.....Yeah or Nay?
Posted: 9/2/2006 7:09:14 PM
Stevia is a great sweetener...perfect for diabetics, because it helps to stabilize blood sugar...if you use pure stevia powder, it only tastes bad if you use too much (you only need a very tiny bit - I use those stir sticks from McDonalds that have the tiny spoon on the end, & use about 1/2 of that for the equivalent of 1tsp sugar).
 Buh-Bye!
Msg: 10
Stevia....Suggestions for Use, to replace sugar/art. sweeetners
Posted: 1/3/2007 11:37:13 PM
I drink too many diet sodas with aspartame. I also crave sweets.

I would like to eliminate drinking so much aspartame from diet, and hopefully not crave sweets so much.

How can I implement Stevia into my diet?
(I don't drink coffee, and I don't add sweetner to my tea).

Thanks for suggestions!
 DonInVictoria
Msg: 13
Posted: 1/4/2007 7:19:59 PM
[OP] "when I need something sweetened,"

No one needs anything sweetened. Try without for a couple of days, 9 times out of 10, you'll never sweeten that item again, as the natural taste is recognized as so much better.
 Buh-Bye!
Msg: 14
Posted: 1/4/2007 10:37:26 PM
Been there done that Don, that's NOT the answer for me.

Again, you fail to address the questions asked.....

Ski4life: do you use liquid or powdered stevia for your oatmeal?
 RenaiMan
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 2/24/2010 9:32:05 PM
Been using Stevia for a couple of years now, usually the liquid form. It was great to carry a small bottle in my travels, just 5 drops or so in my coffee or tea. My sister still uses the packets of powder, I don't care for them as much. Especially hard to mix in iced tea compared to the drops.

I always bought it on eBay since it's a lot cheaper than the local health food stores.

Without Stevia I would drink my coffee unsweetened and use honey in my tea, period.

Never cooked with it though...
 TheReason_
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 2/25/2010 8:59:36 AM
Instead of crystal light with aspertame, I make those little tiny pouches of kool aide with stevia instead. It normally calls for a cup of sugar, and I use about 3/4 teaspoon of stevia. The amount will vary, depending on brand, strength etc. I use Organika brand. About 15 bucks a bottle, but a bottle easily lasts 2 months.

I'm type 2 diabetic, and I much prefer it to crystal light.
 arwen52
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Stevia.....Yeah or Nay?
Posted: 2/25/2010 10:02:18 AM
B*llsh*t.

I use stevia a little sometimes. It's okay. I use it to *supplement* whatever sweetener I'm using rather than using it alone. I was having some soy shakes in the morning and trying to cut down on the sugar in them, so I'd add a few drops of stevia to punch up the sweetness without increasing the sugar. Stevia alone - I don't care for it.

Your lecturer has their head up their azz. Don't listen to people who say things like that. That should be a no-brainer. Where's their critical thinking? Whatever reason do they have for saying stevia should be the *only* sweetener you ever use? If you're going to be that extreme, don't use sweetener, period.

She is right about one thing: depending on what your reasons are for using honey over sugar, honey is no "better."

BTW, the reason the FDA has not approved stevia as a sweetener is because it has not been tested for such wide use. Just because it's natural does not mean it's safe for the general population to use in large quantities. Remember Russian comfrey and St. John's wort? Probably not. The first was found to cause serious liver damage when taken in significant quantities over time (this discovered when a young health foodie showed up in an emergency room with a seriously damaged liver) and St. John's wort has been shown to interfere with the efficacy of birth control pills and the drugs used to treat AIDS. This was found out by having people's birth control pills and AIDS drugs fail. There's reason to want to find out what will happen if large numbers of people start using a lot of it. Besides, it's way to expensive to use all the time.
 TheReason_
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Stevia.....Yeah or Nay?
Posted: 2/25/2010 10:30:29 AM
Stevia has been used for over 200 years in japan. The reason it's not apporoved yet, is because big sugar, and the makers of aspertame lobbies the FDA, it would take away too much of their business, they can't even use the word "sweetner"

But

Coke and Pepsi are now test marketing drinks with Truvia (I think) which is a slight modification to steia, so it can be patented. Things might change soon for the status of Stevia.

Http://tinyurl.com/yjxe8r8

Personally I think cleanses, and detoxifying is a bunch of BS, nothing but snake oil, but we all have our opinions.
 Belle Requin
Msg: 20
Stevia.....Yeah or Nay?
Posted: 2/25/2010 2:06:37 PM
Honey, agave, molasses, maple syrup, they're all still sugar. They may be less processed, they may take longer to spike insulin levels, but they are still sugar. This is what too many people fail to realise. If you're literally using honey in a recipe *instead* of sugar, for the most part you're still using glucose and fructose to sweeten food/beverage.

Stevia with inulin is a little better than stevia alone as it tends to mask the rather bitter aftertaste. I have a liquid stevia, and I can't use more than 3 drops in a litre of tea, otherwise I find it completely disgusting.
 happygal_28
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Stevia.....Yeah or Nay?
Posted: 2/27/2010 5:39:23 PM
How does one know when the stevia is full of fillers? I purchased Equate brand stevia at Walmart just to try it and it's not bad but I wouldnt consider it wonderful or anything. I imagine it IS full of fillers as a 2nd ingredient is maltodextrin. I typically use a little in my coffee or in plain yogurt but I do find it tastes something different than sweet - cant quite describe it, not as bad as diet pop tastes...
 arwen52
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Stevia.....Yeah or Nay?
Posted: 2/28/2010 7:48:57 PM
Stevia has been used for over 200 years in japan

According to numerous sources, stevia has mostly been used in Japan since the 1970s.

Stevia is native to South and Central America and has been used there traditionally for thousands of years.

I'm not discouraging the use of it. However, anyone who makes the claim that it is the *only* sweetener that should be used is ridiculous. Might as well just not use sweeteners at all if you're that extreme. Eat fruit and quit making anything with additional sweetening in it.
 satx78218
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Stevia.....Yeah or Nay?
Posted: 3/2/2010 6:05:42 AM
A strong preference for sweet almost always leads to consumption of empty, fast carbhohydrates, pleasuring your mouth rather than feeding your body, and excess calories.

The key to weight loss, low tryglycerides, normal/low glucose, insulin efficiency, long-term maintenance of lean weight is to wean oneself off the corporate cheap trick of sweet foods (sweet/salt/grease/synthetic chemicals) and empty carbohydrates.

If you can't imagine yourself without sweet, then consider yourself fully addicted client of corporate sweet-traffickers.
 satx78218
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Stevia.....Yeah or Nay?
Posted: 3/2/2010 9:44:18 AM
Eating fruits for the their sweetness/glucose/fructose is healthy because of the total nutrient delivery, not just the sweetness.

If you want sweetness on your oatmeal (which I love straight), then grate in a complete apple, or drop in a few raisins, or diced peaches.

This entire thread is about synthetic sweetners, or stuff extracted/isolated/concentrated from its original plant.

I've kicked my sweetness habits, which used to be very bad, so I have no interest in stevia or any sweetners.

If corps can screw up something "natural" so they make more money, which is their only priority, they will. And they don't give a damn about their consumers' health. Nutrition is such complex situation, that they know their particular "poison" killing you little by little has almost no chance of being isolated as culprit in their clients' bad health.
 satx78218
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Stevia.....Yeah or Nay?
Posted: 3/2/2010 12:45:50 PM
Just as caffeine is now synthetic, I'm sure stevia will be synthesized and patented, soon, if not already.
 olddirtybastard
Msg: 37
Stevia.....Yeah or Nay?
Posted: 9/13/2010 3:35:39 PM
wouldn't it still have the problem, like all other low-cal, non-sugar, sweeteners, that your body can't be fooled?

I have read reports about any artificial sweetener (with a lot of taste like sugar, but zero or few calories) that your body (mouth ) tastes the sweetness, anticipates the 'reward' of a calorie infusion (what sugar would have), na dit it doesn't get it, simply starts craving the sugar hit
 Loveyluvs
Msg: 38
Stevia.....Yeah or Nay?
Posted: 9/19/2010 9:11:21 AM
Definitely YEAH,I use Stevia in a smoothie rice milk and fruit and coffee instant in the morning to add a little sweetness. I have found no repercussions or ill effects. I think it will be awhile before FDA approves herbal alternative medicines, therapies and protocols.
 VacationGuy234
Msg: 39
Stevia.....Yeah or Nay?
Posted: 9/22/2010 11:17:14 AM
I use it. Great stuff. I've read articles about it, why the FDA will only label it a supplement is politics at work. Other countries have been using it for years. I can now drink coffee again and I put some in oatmeal as well. IMO, it's a good solution.
 sexyisback!
Msg: 40
Stevia.....Yeah or Nay?
Posted: 9/22/2010 3:44:43 PM

I use it. Great stuff. I've read articles about it, why the FDA will only label it a supplement is politics at work. Other countries have been using it for years. I can now drink coffee again and I put some in oatmeal as well. IMO, it's a good solution.

huh? what do you mean you can now drink coffee again.? when I do (rarely) I drink it black.

"good" coffee doesn't need crap/sweeteners/dairy, etc. added.
remind so me of bald guy talking about ads for hair plugs where ad guy says: "I can swim with confidence now"

bald guy: "So? I can do that NOW.."
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Stevia.....Yeah or Nay?