Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Thinking of picking up the keyboards...      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 DJMac
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Thinking of picking up the keyboards...Page 1 of 1    
as far as keyboard sounds I would suggest to listen to the garage bands of the 60's a lot of those had keyboard players. Also listen to Booker T. Jones, Jimmy Smith and Felix Cavilerie the best organ players ever
 cougar99
Msg: 4
Thinking of picking up the keyboards...
Posted: 8/14/2006 5:30:02 PM
Jimmy Smith...Walk on the wild side
Also Gregg Allman and Jon Lord (Deep Purple)....
 E_keys
Msg: 8
Wurlitzer D-5 organ
Posted: 6/24/2010 5:30:47 PM
So speaking of picking up keyboards, I found a Wurlitzer D-5 organ at the curb tonight, just a few doors down from my house. Went and brought it back with a hand truck.

Won't get a chance til tomorrow to plug it in and find out whether it makes noises, and I need another project right now like a hole in the head, but - - - Woot!
 mrcs84
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 6/26/2010 1:27:32 AM
Amongst all of this, I just suggest that you get a keyboard that has all 88 keys and that the keys are weighted (feels like an actual piano). They are going to be a bit more pricey. Even the most basic full sized ones will be about $500 on the low end. However it just makes for better playing. You will find that you rely on your muscle memory A LOT, and transitioning from non-weighted to weighted is kind of difficult when you're starting off, and if you get an instructor, you'd better believe that they will have either a piano, or a keyboard with weighted keys.
 lateā„¢
Msg: 10
Posted: 6/26/2010 12:49:10 PM
Actually, I'll be my usual contrary self and go in a different direction.

Hammond "M"series organs in perfect condition are often available for as little as <$250 on eBay, no synth on the planet can replicate a tone-wheel organ, the M 100 series has most of the same features as it's big brother, the B3, which goes for between $5000 and $15000.

It's worth checking eBay to see if there is one local too you, at 250 lbs, they're too big to ship.

This is what they sound like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KEPeUOABxc&feature=related

Like I said, you can still pick up an M (Baby-B3) really cheap (I got one for less than $200 a few years ago), and they will never lose value if you decide to get rid of it, but you probably won't want to get rid of it, old Hammonds are very addicting.

If you are more piano oriented, by all means follow the above advice for 88 weighted keys. Go for a basic keyboard as they won't have a lot of programmable features, again ...forcing you to learn the actual craft of music rather than programming. You can always get an add-on synth module later and "drive" it with the "basic" 'board.
 theseus82
Msg: 11
Posted: 7/24/2010 5:05:16 PM
FL studio 7. Download it. You can get a demo for free, but you won't be able to save any tracks. You might want to try it out this way, and then either pay the exorbitant fee to get the full version or just download the reg key via bit torrent.

I use FL studio, and although it takes a long while to get used to you can do a lot with it. There's also MIDI input you can use. I play keyboard, too, but I've never bothered to really hook it up to my 'puter.
 hyoid
Msg: 12
Posted: 7/25/2010 1:27:15 PM
I'd start with something small, like those casio portable keyboards.
Work your way up gradually to a Bosendorfer concert grand.
But remember-
Lift with your legs.
 GabrielWhispers
Msg: 13
Posted: 7/29/2010 8:04:00 AM
a cheap casio or yamaha psr will do for starters. it will either spurn you or collect dust. if the latter, no real lost. as for theory and lessons (and this is coming from someone with a masters in theory from Juillard), you dont need it. Your ears will tell you what works and what doesnt. Never took a formal keyboard lesson in my life and yet Im considered a master board player. What you need more than anything else is passion and commitment.
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Thinking of picking up the keyboards...