Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Is Intelligence Captivating...............      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Kataklysmic
Msg: 24
Is Intelligence Captivating...............Page 1 of 13    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13)
I have actually met very FEW that their intelligence 'captivated' me. It really depends on WHAT they know and how they go about expressing that knowledge. There have been times when what I assumed to an 'intelligent' converation turned into a "I am smarter than you" sort of thing. That turned it into an instant turn-off.
 -=Kalidor=-
Msg: 26
Is Intelligence Captivating...............
Posted: 8/18/2006 11:04:10 PM
I get a lot of compliments on my intelligence... as well as my humor.

Intelligence though is a lot like looks. Its something you're born with and try as you might, at the end of the day, its something you're stuck with -- for good or ill.
 workerbee68
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 8/18/2006 11:49:13 PM
I would take an intelligent average looking woman over an unintelligent beauty anyday. I find a woman's intelligence to be one of her most attracted features. If you can stimulate my mine then my body will follow.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 42
Posted: 8/19/2006 7:08:12 AM
It certainly is, and in addition to wanting someone I am so attracted to it makes me crazy, a person has to be able to sit at dinner or over coffee or drinks and have intelligent conversation. As a matter of fact smarter than me is actually a plus (as long as they are not condescending about it). The more I can learn, the better!

I like to learn, and feel that I am pretty intelligent about a few things, fairly intelligent about others, and able to discuss a little on a lot of topics - and if I am attractive physically to the right person as well, I can't complain.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 45
Posted: 8/19/2006 8:20:13 AM
Colin...very true. I totally agree...someone getting you is awesome. Even if their personality is different than yours, if they know your mind, that's a very cool thing.

And flow of conversation is key. Someone can be very smart but not really socially inclined...it's gotta be effortless.
 athletic_funny4
Msg: 54
Posted: 8/19/2006 10:15:46 AM
Grammar and vocabulary are great indicators of a persons intellect. I love it when I read a post like this.
 -=Kalidor=-
Msg: 58
Posted: 8/20/2006 12:29:28 AM
I knew you were going to say that!
 athletic_funny4
Msg: 64
Posted: 8/20/2006 6:54:00 AM
I dated a natural blonde who when she walked into a room was LITERALLY surounded by men gawking at her. I said litterally because I've been in the same room when men were acctually in a circle around her. Face like an angel and sweet as they come. But dumb. I hung on for 2 months but I couldn't take the lack of stimulating conversation. We had to break up. Neither of us were happy. She needed someone who wanted to discuss "Melrose Place" (yeah that long ago). I needed someone who could understand some less than obvious humor. With her I had to creat simple humor for her to get it. Twas boring.
 Double Cabin
Msg: 77
view profile
History
Posted: 8/20/2006 9:25:56 AM
I'm with Kataklysmic. For me Intelligence is sexy, combative arrogance is not. Miss Mensa Reject gets boring as any empty vessel does in time.
 wurl
Msg: 78
Posted: 8/20/2006 9:36:00 AM
I think intelligence is only as important as other qualities.

physical chemistry, Emotional Quotient, ...... like funny is important too, but please know when to be funny ... after initial attraction, I look for an Emotional Quotient that demonstrates behaviour that has integrity and inspires respect.

I'll pass on any diabolical evil scientists that want to rune the world.

but smart enough to maintain a conversation, nurture curiosity, personal growth and can win an argument when she is moraly just.

In of itself intelligence is really just information and skills. depending how the information/skills are utilized, define the person.
 Boltflight
Msg: 90
Posted: 8/20/2006 1:18:27 PM
Looks can only get u so far.Personaly,I like woman who are at least as intelligent,as me.If she is maybe smarter then me,all the better.I like people I can talk to and learn from.I get bored with just good looks,and need more to keep me interested.I like to talk,and about all kinds of things and like woman who can and do the same.
 wanderingbeauty
Msg: 94
Posted: 8/20/2006 7:59:04 PM
Intelligence is a huge motivating factor to me when it comes to someone I opt to stay with for a long time. However, we can’t get confused with higher education and intelligence. Granted, I have a MBA and would love to go to school for the rest of my life because I like to learn. However, some of the smartest people I have met in my travels around the world aren’t necessarily those whom have spent years and years in school.

I have met a man who could survive in any type of wildness situation but never made it farther than 6th grade. I met a homeless man who gave up his 6 figure income because he was smart enough to realize it was ruining his life. Now, he uses the 7 languages he speaks to show people around “his” temple in Tokyo.

The most attractive thing about intelligent people is when they are willing to continue to learn in any way, to share their knowledge and to do good with it. Intelligent conversation rather it be about Shakespeare, Football, or the latest social issue, is a huge turn on for me.
 -=Kalidor=-
Msg: 102
Posted: 8/21/2006 7:44:20 AM
Hey baby... how about that string theory?
 -=Kalidor=-
Msg: 104
Posted: 8/21/2006 8:06:05 AM
Oh believe me, I feel your pain... I gave up on local girls from this site a long time ago.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 113
Posted: 8/22/2006 4:27:29 AM
Well, let's be honest. If someone is VERY attractive and not very smart - of course there's no interest in getting involved at all, but what if you don't care what they have to say? Some times the quiet ones are just right, you don't want your boytoy to join in the conversation, just hold your coat for you and wait for you to signal you're leaving right?

LOL its a joke its a joke
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 117
Posted: 8/22/2006 6:46:10 AM
I only look good to those who think I look good...I can't get away with that if someone doesn't think so, and plenty of people don't - but that's ok, there's enough that I can work with those that do.

And I am not fishing, I am a realist. No matter how hot someone thinks you are, there's always someone else who doesn't agree. That's life, it's balance and it keeps you grounded.

BUT I do think every man serves a purpose, I like intelligence and quick wit with common sense in a relationship but if I am not in one, and I don't plan on being up late nights discussing the meaning of life with someone, then I let it slide a bit. Those are the men I send in thru the back porch, and they aren't allowed to stay the night. LMAO

What can I say, I am in one of those moods today. haha
 t-gurl
Msg: 120
Posted: 8/23/2006 6:01:22 AM
Just finished reading this thread and through all of it, there is a concept that is implied but the word is only mentioned once (and that in passing)

BALANCE

Balance between two people's intelligence
Balance between a person's intelligence and other factor's / interests in their life
Balance between a person's Intelligence Quotient and their Emotional Quotient
Balance between school learning, book learning and life learning
Balance between knowledge and the ability to communicate it
Balance between knowledge and the ability to apply it

Balance in life is perhaps the sexiest thing there is (at least to me)
 nipoleon
Msg: 125
view profile
History
Posted: 8/25/2006 4:55:04 AM
If a sense of humor was sexy, Carrot Top would be getting laid constantly.
If intellegence was sexy Steven Hawking would be a babe magnet.
Who know what the hell is ?
 t-gurl
Msg: 133
Posted: 8/26/2006 4:49:58 AM
Feisty Girl ^^^^^^^^^^^

It sounds like your Granny is an extremely intelligent woman. Don't confuse intelligence with formal education.
 Melodic Euphoria
Msg: 137
Posted: 8/26/2006 8:47:24 AM
Yes.

Intelligence includes the ability of hypnosis. "Look into my eyes...you're going to find me attractive...you will find my conversations stimulating..."

Of course, people with intelligence will not admit they have such ability to people devoid of any intellectual capacity.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 141
Posted: 8/26/2006 5:42:05 PM
What's with all the posts about taking intelligence over looks? Can't we have both?
 Huggablehottie
Msg: 144
Posted: 8/26/2006 9:07:05 PM
It is nice to be able to have intelligent conversations with someone, however they also can turn mundane, especially if an intelligent person is a braggart.
If someone is overly intelligent, more so than the average person ,and they speak that way, then I don't even want to listen!
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 152
Posted: 8/27/2006 9:46:12 AM

I have yet to find a woman that finds intelligence anything of importance. True they want a fellow that doesn't converse on a two-year old's level, but just as soon as they determine he is smater than them, they run for the hills.

Absolutely not. I want a man I can not only talk to for hours, but who can teach me something....as long as he's not talking to me like I am a five year old. That's the only time I would be turned off by it.
 jheremya
Msg: 161
view profile
History
Posted: 8/28/2006 3:11:55 AM
im too fracking stupid to know what your talking about...what?
 JustCallMeMike
Msg: 184
view profile
History
Posted: 1/7/2007 4:10:38 AM
This is one of my mottos, "Beauty can be feinted, but intelligence never lies." Perfect example (while it is just a commercial), this one Vonage commercial of the blond who thought a group of circling sharks were dolphins and she was going to play with them. Those are the kind of people you just have to pat on the head, give a cookie, and make sure your 3 year old warns them about running with scissors. Intelligence to me is a MUST! I can't handle thinking for me and her at the same time.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Is Intelligence Captivating...............