Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Where's Your Happiness Come From?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 trailmobile
Msg: 1
Where's Your Happiness Come From?Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
I been lurking long enough to see there are some interesting folks on here, so I thought I would try a new thread....

Where does your happiness come from? It is hard for me to tell. I am talking life happiness, not 6-pack or reefer happiness.

Is it because you went out with friends, had a good bowel movement, exercised, got laid, were able to get out of bed, made it past 45, saw your kid, saw your mother, spoke up in defense of something, defended yourself, took your supplements, quit having hormonal flashes, took synthetic hormones, read a good book, wrote some poetry, had the sun in your eyes, read one of Wanda's posts, got an email from a hot babe, worked your ass off and did good, took psyco-babble drugs, caught a trout, did a long two-stripe burner, prayed to your god, meditated, medicated, blablabla.......... You get the idea.

Me personally, I am happy a lot lately and I don't know why. My guess is because I have been eating and living healthy. Us humans are naturally happy as long as we are healthy.

Tom (>:
 bobby7
Msg: 2
Where's Your Happiness Come From?
Posted: 8/18/2006 10:22:21 PM
Tom,

I think you are on to somethig! If you are healthy, it is actually a task to be unhappy.

The wit and wisdom that I find in here, and with my 'outside' friends contribute to my happiness.

It is difficult for some who is seriously ill to be very happy,and his/her illness usually shows, in a negatve manner, in here.

We must make allowances for those unfortunates.

It is equally difficult for a person who enjoys good health to find fault with life.

Bob
 crazylegs311
Msg: 3
Posted: 8/18/2006 10:30:23 PM
The fact that I am healthy, but more important to me is the fact that my 2 kids are healthy, that is what makes me happy.
 zippylarue
Msg: 4
Posted: 8/18/2006 10:50:51 PM
My happiness comes from within myself. I have decided to be happy. We all have a choice.

My family and my friends are reasons for my happiness. I look around and see how much I have in my life, and who I have in my life and that makes me happy too!

I heard a saying once, "You may not be happy, but you can always be cheerful." It's so true.

Smile, it's contagious!

flsoldier
Msg: 5
Posted: 8/19/2006 6:53:00 AM
Life happiness.
Good post Sir.

The fact that I'm alive and healthy makes me happy.
Everything else is just a bonus.

Colin
 GivingGlory
Msg: 6
Posted: 8/19/2006 7:35:50 AM
I don't really aim for happiness. I want contentment. Happiness is fleeting - a moment of pure joy... Contentment is for the long haul. I find contentment in my home, my God, my work, my family, and my cat (who thinks he is a dog).

Contentment is lower blood pressure, a willingness to get up in the morning, enthusiasm about what I do, peace in my heart, and a good night's sleep.

*tinydancer*
Msg: 7
Posted: 8/19/2006 8:00:38 AM
My happiness comes from the simple fact that I almost died two years ago after a liver transplant. I'm simply happy to see the sunshine every morning. I'm happy my family and my kids love me and I've got some pretty good friends who've stuck around through it all. And of course, from all ya'll in the forums. I've made some very nice friends here -- even if they are just cyber friends!
 zentral
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 8/19/2006 8:14:08 AM
Health does indeed contribute to happiness, but some people with incurable illnesses are happy, so it is not the entire story. I do find that my main source of happiness comes from within myself. I know who I am, and I am happy with the person that I am. Certainly, I see areas needing improvement, but I am happily working on those non-judgmentally. You can call it self-respect, or self-esteem, or perhaps self-acceptance.

As with good health, good friends and good relationships contribute significantly.
 oldsock
Msg: 9
Posted: 8/19/2006 9:17:00 AM
My goal is to have that feeling of "all is well with the world" come from within. Haven't reach that point other than a now and then basis. I must admit my outside world can change my perception's quite easily. I must admit that sunshine/music/a smile/hug/a gleam in the eyes/finding a quarter on the street/an unexpected phone call/green grass/a lightning storm, and oh so many other things pick up my spirits and keep me moving forward.
 wanda1fish
Msg: 10
Posted: 8/19/2006 9:44:53 AM
Wow Tom!!! well .. who said there were no good new thread ideas out there!! ... over the past couple days .. there have been some excellent new threads .. this is sure one that in my humble opinion ranks rate up there with the best!!! Love those things that provoke thought .. and have me look at myself .. so .. Thanks!!!

Now .. where does my happiness come from? .. Inside. I think my happiness is born of my gratitude .. the more grateful i am .. the happier i am .. even the "things" that i think make me happy dont if i'm not ok inside .. a good joke isn't as funny .. none of the external stuff really matters if i'm not happy with me .. so ..

I get my happiness as a result of my gratitude .. I am very fortunate that i have a body that functions well .. when i breath in i get air ... mmmm air .. i have healthy lungs (despite the years of smoking) .. and a healthy heart .. i can walk talk and breath .. all at the same time! I know (more of) Who i am .. and i am a good person .. i like Who i am .. inside ..

there are moments when the world .. external turmoil .. can get me 'discombobulated' .. and sometimes i get caught up in some negative crap .. but in the end .. when i remember .. i look inside and i ask myself "am i ok with me?" .. and i am .. that makes me happy ..

now .. on the outside ..? .. my landlady just brought me a frikkin lobster and some zucchini .. OMG OMG OMG .. LOBSTER!!! and that dessert looks terribly good too .. That makes me happy! .. course .. she wouldnt have brought the gifts if she didn't 'like' me .. so underneath it .. its my heart that got the gift .. not my palat! .. but dam .. mmm mm mmmm Lobster!!
and i got a VERRRY nice email this morning .. started my day with one of the nicest compliments i think i've gotten in this online world!! (thanks HD) .. that made me happy too!!

i walk around bugs .. my buddha self rules!! and THAT makes me happy...
Great thread!!! TY TY TY

wanda
happy
 broken_lady
Msg: 11
Posted: 8/19/2006 10:39:54 AM
What makes me happy? hmm...taking pride in doing something myself. I love to write, and I'm happy every time I finish one of my poems. I would love the world to read them, but I know that's just a dream. But I'm happy to dream also. Having dreams makes me happy. And odd as this might sound, every time I talk with someone new and have that illusion of a dream coming true, I'm happy for as long as it lasts. Sure, it's a downer when the bubble bursts, but then to make myself happy, I go in search of that next dream. Living from dream to dream will keep me happy for awhile. Living the dream might be even better. I'll let you know if that happens....if I get THAT happy, I'd want the world to know.
 moraima
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 8/19/2006 11:48:39 AM
I don't find that I need my health to be happy (would prefer to be healthy though). My late husband could have a degree of happiness while suffering from a terminal disease. He still made others laugh, and enjoyed laughing himself.

This is a good question. I am not sure why I can still be happy in a world I see as having the suffering of war, poverty and disease globally. I care deeply about other people's hardships and suffering. Instead of feeling sad because of it, it drives me to do what I can to solve as many problems as I can. Guess maybe I am happy, because I choose to do instead of being sad.
 Scotchlassie
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 8/19/2006 12:09:24 PM

Me personally, I am happy a lot lately and I don't know why.

Sounds like your happiness comes from within OP - which is where it should come from.
We should never make others responsible for our happiness - that's the road to sure depresion
 wanda1fish
Msg: 14
Posted: 8/19/2006 12:36:29 PM
Verrrry well put lassie!!!

wanda
 faro123
Msg: 15
Posted: 8/19/2006 2:06:36 PM
I think you answered your question yourself in the end. Humans (and I'd say animals too) are born with this enormous ability to enjoy and have fun. Look at all the kids. There is nobody more close to the nature than a kid and this is their living lesson to us:-)

So I think happiness comes from within. Outside events can trigger it within ourselves but you have to have flame of happines live and burning inside to feel happy in any situation.
 ksue44
Msg: 16
Posted: 8/19/2006 2:50:59 PM
I'm grateful for the good health that I have! I'm grateful every morning when I rise out of bed, put both feet on the floor and get moving! Each day that I am alive, I'm happy. Watching the contented look on my cats face will make me smile. Being outdoors (when it's not 100+ degrees) will make me happy. Travel puts a smile on my face. Going out with my friends, calling my friends and emailing jokes with them make me happy. Puttering around in my yard makes me happy. When I help someone have a better day makes me happy!
 dbndon
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 8/19/2006 4:28:20 PM

Sharing kindness (think about those two words together cause it’s not as it first seems and I mean exactly what I say).

The way so many can take the second to give a big smile and show a twinkle in their eyes while they take the time to say hello, even when I know they are in a hurry and hassled.

The hugs . . . those plentiful full hugs, given like they may never be hugged again. (Ever see a big man humbled?)

The knowledge that I shall never be alone or lonely because, even when there are no people around, I know very well that I can spend a happy afternoon out in the woods “talking” with all the different type critters.

Happiness, to me, is the celebration of life. I’m still here, still “doing” and therefore still very happy.

And if, for a time, I find someone nice who wishes to share all or some of this with me, so much the better. Perhaps someday that will happen. I see someone way over yonder in the hills, but the outcome is yet to be determined.

mizbex
Msg: 18
Posted: 8/20/2006 4:19:31 AM
I found out a long time ago that the only one that could make me happy was me, cause if you are waiting for someone else to make you happy, what are you going to do if they never show up?

I reflect on the good things in my life and the daily blessings I receive and if all else fails, I just look at my dog, she will always bring a smile to my face.
 R M
Msg: 19
Posted: 8/20/2006 6:10:57 AM
My happiness comes from within. I am happy when all my daughters are happy and doing great with their lives, and since I am a workaholic, my work makes me feel good and happy with myself for being productive as well. Nothing else matters after that. Money, health, men and looks come and go .Since we can't control them, why let them control our lives?
 lostagain
Msg: 20
Posted: 8/21/2006 12:42:45 PM
I'm not exactly sure where it comes from .it visits me in fits and waves,
when I'm conscience enough to know I need some I'll take a walk
a little exercise works wonders for a quick fix
But mostly it is the people I pass while walking, it is in a strangers smile
Smiles are contagious,and powerful medicine to me
I am usually a happy person,unless extremely tired
 roseopal
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 8/21/2006 5:49:00 PM
My happiness comes from not looking back at the past, nor worrying about the future, just taking each day that God gives me and making the most of it. Being surrounded by a wonderful family and great friends who give their love unconditionally brings me happiness. If you truly are happy with the person you see in the mirror, then you are truly blessed. Another thing that brings me happiness is helping others thru volunteering.
 CLEOPATRAROSE
Msg: 22
Posted: 8/21/2006 7:05:06 PM
my daughter and mother they are my world they never let me down there are there for me was crying tonight my daughter ask me why said she loves me and my mother can not ask for a better more loving giving mother we are all very close they are my best friend and mean everything to me and I love them both so very much and they love me
 betterallthetime
Msg: 23
Posted: 8/21/2006 7:17:47 PM
My happiness comes from...knowing that Tinydancer is doing well, even tho' I did not know she had such a problem!
From seeing a good response to a post of mine....ridiculous as some of them are.
Knowing that I will soon be "unemployed", not by the employer's choice, but by my decision that I can not work with such ethics!
Watching my bulldog sleep! He is so peaceful, snoring away, I can't help but smile.
Knowing that the guitar lead that I am playing is one of the best I've ever done!
Knowing that someone in the audience knows it too!
Knowing that I have 8 acres of woods, field, deer, and other critters....I still have a mortgage on it, and there is no one to leave it to, but fornow, it's mine, and I can grill a chicken in the middle of my field anytime I want to, and not have to worry about the neighbors!
Living in the greatest country in the world!
Riding my MC and feeling the wind, smelling the air!
GOD BLESS AMERICA!
 AgelessWonder
Msg: 24
Posted: 8/21/2006 7:31:53 PM
My happiness comes from within. IF I can't be happy with myself, how could I expect someone else to be happy with me
 Celticmist
Msg: 25
Posted: 8/21/2006 8:30:46 PM
I am going to steal dbdon's line

Happiness, to me, is the celebration of life.

sitting out on my patio in the morning with my coffee admiring my flowers and taking in the beauty and the quiet

going for a walk down a country road

playing with my dog and watching his tail and body wag as he breaks into a great big old grin

spending the afternoon painting while I listen to my favourite songs playing

watching someone's face light up when they lay eyes on you

listening to babies & children giggling

Having my neice or nephew see me and watching a big smile come on their face as they open their arms for a hug

Hugging those I love

Loving

So many joys, so little time. :o)
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Where's Your Happiness Come From?