Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Testimonials  > The Pay Dating Sites are a ripoff      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Funme40
Msg: 2
The Pay Dating Sites are a ripoffPage 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
You think that online dating is becoming a joke because of paying sites? Wait until you tried this one for a while and you’ll see a whole new definition to “ a joke” a real bad one that is…
 harryv05
Msg: 3
The Pay Dating Sites are a ripoff
Posted: 8/28/2006 12:53:16 PM
PEOPLE SAY TREAT IT AS A JOKE, BUT THE MEN ARE PAYING 50 DOLLARS A MONTH FOR EACH OF THESE SITES. I JUST CANCELED THE LAST TWO I WAS A MEMBER OF. I GOT HUSTLED BY PROSTITUTES---THEY DON'T SEEM TO CARE---THE PROPOSITIONS FOR MONEY WERE IN WRITING. I AM AN OLDER MAN, AND THEY WOULD SEND ME WINKS FROM 20 AND 30 YEAR OLDS FROM OTHER PARTS OF THE COUNTRY. POF SEEMS TO BE THE MOST EFFECTIVE OF THE SITES, AND THERE ARE CERTAINLY SOME FEMALE BARACUDAS HERE---BUT THAT'S THE REAL WORLD.
 JohnnyPopper
Msg: 4
Posted: 8/28/2006 1:11:11 PM
WOW!!! U couldn't find someone on those 3+ other sites huh! Mebbe it's the 420 (National time to light up a joint) thang in yer username??
I have found many nice friends and ladies to date on POF and I DON'T DO DRUGS/SMOKE DOPE at all!
 mknerd
Msg: 5
Posted: 8/28/2006 2:05:26 PM
National time? Where the hell do you get your information. Its 4/20 .. as in the best time to plant your plants. Silly Wabbit.
 ima_gin
Msg: 8
Posted: 8/28/2006 5:32:36 PM
I agree 100% with the OP. There is no reason to pay to meet people in this golden age of social networking. Stick to free sites and MySpace. Pay sites are run by greedy corporations and offer nothing over the free sites. Even eHarmony is a joke. I will never pay such high monthly fees to contact someone. Pay sites have no visitors because most people were smart enough to move to the free sites.
 BOT TAK
Msg: 12
Posted: 8/29/2006 7:01:02 AM
Well, I just want to say that I've had it with the yahoo personals and match.com. Those sites are a ripoff and not to mention they're so user unfriendly. No wonder online dating is becoming a joke.
I disagree.....but maybe because of being a woman. I am at one of these sites, and it IS user friendly with lots of infrastructure. I don't see it as a joke. If I write to a man, he most likely will answer at least "no, thanks".....lol Well, I don't expect everyone, I like will like me back...............do you expect?

There are lots of phony profiles on there. Sure the "women" will send you flirts and even write you a letter. When you subscribe and write back to them. You'll never here from them again. I know that most of the women on these pay sites don't take it very seriously.
I am on a site already for 4 months and I am going to stay there until I find who I want and need. I didn't meet any fake profiles. As the matter of fact, there are a lot of men who are smart, intelligent, educated, funny and everything I want else. I met some of them -- they are real. We did have some discrepancies but.......again -- this is the rule of the game.....unless you want to change your standards and go for anyone available.

For them it's some form of personal amusement and nightly entertainment. They either are married or have a steady boyfriend when they say on there profile they are single or divorced. While the remaining women that are "single" are a bunch of fakes and phonies.
This is unfair note, so I just guess you were not answered, right?
I'll tell you why
I don't answer men with the attitude "I am tired from all these games and fake women". You might not state it in your profile and even e-mail, but I can read between the lines as anybody else could. If you are tired find something better to do than dating. Write books, find a hobby, forget about on-line dating. It takes time, money, energy as anything in life if you really want it to achieve.
I personally don't believe in free sites because I am old enough to confirm with my experience that "free cheese exists only in a mousetrap". You get what you pay for.
However, forum is really great in here.....and thanks to you all!!!
 Christie129
Msg: 13
Posted: 5/30/2007 4:23:22 AM
I agree....I've used other ones that disapointed me. On eharmony you can't see anyone's picture unless you subscribe and most people would only want to try it a month which is $59! I did signup during the free communication thing, but you can only send people pre-selected questions, no personal messages. Well, you get to pick 5 questions at a time of about 50. Some of the other ones I've tried were Match.com, True, Tickle, Singlesnet, Romantic Planet....many more. I never subscribed to any of them though. But I don't think you should have to pay to contact people. I think this is the best dating site, being that it has so many features, there are many people on this site, and it's free.
 anyoneoutthier
Msg: 14
Posted: 5/30/2007 6:03:23 AM
They are pip offs some of the i have chated with some ladys as many as 10 12 or 14 times and i ask if they would like to meet for coffee or lunch and all the 3 ladys i chated with for so long said they had to get to know me better. Well after they said that i didnt give them a chance i did not chat with them ever again and really they didnt even send me any chat mesages so i just figured they were just teases.
 civic2004
Msg: 16
Posted: 6/6/2007 12:57:22 PM
I was on match.com for a 6 month period. I signed up about 6 weeks before their new promise of 6 more free months if you do not meet you match.

After 6 months, I had NO dates. I called match.com and explained this and I tired several different profiles hoping I would hit the winning one.

But I did not get even a phone call or phone number from any woman.

And the only women that were interested in me were scammers from Ghana or women in other states.

I still have my match profile up since my membership expired since they have this 'counter' telling how many have looked at your profile.

Now that I am not a member, I have had plenaty viewing my profile.

I figure just a way of luring me back.

But they would not give me free additional time and the site is nothing but pay to see if your e mail was read, pay to use Dr. Phil, pay for this and that.

And there is no way to tell who is a member and who is not. I have called match and e mailed them about this problem but no response on the e mails and as far as my telephone callas, the rep that I talked to gave me some song and dance about shy they don't list members from the non members.

The sad thing is that match.com is the big gun in online dating . They are not a mom and pop operation. Several Dallas magazines have profiled online dating and always mention match.com. They are based in Plano which is a suburb of Dallas (or it may be Richardson which is also a suburb of Dallas.

I have even driven past match.com's building on my way to something and it was a fairly large two story building.

And whne you think about it, it does not take a large facility to run an internet site. So as far as I am concerned, match.com is the General Motors of dating (and about as good)

And if they are this bad, the smaller ones must really suck.
 Timothy25
Msg: 17
Posted: 11/29/2007 12:09:12 PM
I trusted true.com with the background checks. I still use match.com. This is not fair to people who have good enough reasons for online dating.

I turned to online dating because of taking a bus home from work on most days. I would stay with the free sites and get help. I am not getting hits on the free sites or responses back. I am hopeless.
 Timothy25
Msg: 18
Posted: 12/18/2007 6:10:37 PM
I read that match.com is not 100% rip off. I have met some girls on yahoo personals and that one girl realized that she wasn't ready for a date and I wrote to another girl that I met on match.com who is so in tollerant to smokers. We never hooked up.

I heard that match.com and yahoo personals have been popular pay sites. Maybe those girls who I met on those sites that I didn't hook up with gave up using them.

I should say with this site.
 boisegoodbadboy
Msg: 20
Posted: 12/18/2007 7:00:15 PM
Vixeneyes...youre not a man. how would you really know what we go thru without experiencing it yourself...as a man???
 vinnierocks
Msg: 22
Posted: 12/18/2007 8:09:56 PM
You said a mouthful, I agree with you 100% Brother
 Chrysostom
Msg: 25
Posted: 12/20/2007 4:20:24 AM

Exactly. Only POF is worth every cent you pay for it!
 wiseleo
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Posted: 12/20/2007 5:25:36 AM
My story with online dating where I've had luck. I define success as meeting with someone in-person, whether or not a relationship ensues:

Pre-1998 - informal stuff, internet dating either non-existent of in its infancy met my first love that way
1999-2001 or so Yahoo! personals - wrote a custom search string to weed out fake profiles
1999-2001 or so FriendFinder - before it went to hell
1999-2001 or so Socialnet - before it got acquired by americansingles
1999-2001 or so match.com - met someone extremely hot from there and we are still friends
2000-2001 or so aff - believe it or not, it is possible to find a real girl on that site, but it takes easily 1000x times the effort on any other site. It is worth it because she's guaranteed to be as twisted-minded as me.

Hotornot - yep, I am hot enough to fish on that site and have a 5-star membership...Don't try that at home if you don't know how to put a good picture up
AFF - always a hyper-challenge, always rewarding, LOTS of fakes. I have a complimentary gold membership for winning the site's video contest.
POF - yep, since December 2007...Seems to be much like my experience in late 90s as far as quality goes, which is excellent.

I am an expert at writing profiles and interesting introductory letters, which is why online dating works for me. The only relationship that was incompatible for me was with a girl I've met offline. Had I seen her profile online, I would have passed on her and saved 5 years of my life.

eharmony matched me with a total of 7 people when I did a profile with them with very honest responses, for fun. Then again, I am not suited for that kind of a site due to my preferences. My profile is hidden to avoid false hopes for other people.

All in all, I would not call pay dating sites a rip-off. I've had success on all of them. It just takes an awful lot of work. :)

It's pointless to contact people who haven't logged on to the site in more than 2 weeks. Fishing from the active pool becomes far more restrictive.

Good luck, and happy fishing!
 SPIRITGIRL55
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 12/20/2007 6:42:12 AM
Pay sites will not take off your profile ,even when you are not a member any longer..They automaticly send your information to others in hopes they will scribe to contact you. Then they automacticly send you a note that someone is interested,in hopes you take the bait and resubscribe.

A friend called to tell me he had resucribed to the pay site,because he got an email saying someone was interested..Then found out it was me,and I was not a subscriber. BOY, he was mad that he got suckered...I had a good laugh,,at his expence..but that wasn't funny to be used..I will not let pay sites use me anymore...

1. When you are unsubscribe . Take your pic.off and change you profile ( I'm a 4' male with no teeth ) I still get emails that someone is interested. LOL
2. Do not open their emails to you.They will extend you automaticaly in the system,even when you are not a subscriber.
3.The new scam..They send you a note that they accidently resubscribe you on your charge card and they will fix it..I haven't found such charges..SCAM...
 lovestoread56
Msg: 29
Posted: 12/20/2007 7:15:06 AM
Personally I think the pay dating sites use some profiles like shills in gambling. You sign up for the basic free service which gives you almost nothing, but you keep getting emails stating that "Veronica" would love to meet you she has sent you a wink, or "Jasmine" has sent you an email.
You might even get a few emails, "Hi, I read your profile and I would really like to get to know you better"
The funny thing is, your profile is barely filled out, just the basic age, height, weight, likes and dislikes, and no picture. Anyone that has been on line for more than a day knows that for a guy, it's going to take a hell of a lot more than just clicking a few checkbox selections to get a woman interested in you.
I fell for it once, but not again.
I filled out a basic profile on true.com, but didn't bother with it since their monthly fee is outrageous. There is no picture, I did not write any kind of an introduction yet I get two or three emails a day stating that so and so is really interested. Yeah, like I believe that.
 kevinmach
Msg: 31
Posted: 12/20/2007 10:17:19 AM

All in all, I would not call pay dating sites a rip-off. I've had success on all of them. It just takes an awful lot of work.

Agree, some of the other ones aren't bad either, but so far none have been able to compete with the volume of POF has. I get much more activity on POF, but then if you want to talk quality-well, there is something to be said for people who do shell out the $25 a month for some of the sites beyond them just being foolish with their money. Both in terms of them having a the means to do so, and in how seriously they take it. To me this is just common sense. It's a little "too easy" to just to throw a profile up here even if you're not really serious about dating, and as well as having met a number of ladies who have no money and no job- and no real good reason not to have both. Doesn't mean they aren't nice people, but obviously dating probably shouldn't be their first priority, and they wouldn't be on a site where they had to pay. (not saying there are a lot of people on here like that, but it was an observation)

Anyway, I like POF and many of the people on it-it's by far been the best overall, just wanted to present an alternative view point that crosses my mind from time to time.
 Timothy25
Msg: 33
Posted: 12/20/2007 11:57:25 AM
I read about many of those pay sites on rip off report and read about eharmony. I was about to try that site. I heard that true.com has forged billings.

Did you people even know of those lying about thier genders? Those types are frauds.

I am starting to distrust pay sites. I think that this site should stay free. There should be free dating sites for all of time.

That sounds like prostitution to pay for an Internet date.

Have any of you people encountered those sites that charge and lie about being completley free? I encountered many of them doing that and they should be shut down for it.
 boisegoodbadboy
Msg: 36
Posted: 12/20/2007 11:44:16 PM

wiseleo, I am sure internet dating works for you---a 28 year old good looking man will find more fish in his pond than a 50something year old broad.

yeabut...the 'expert' doesnt have many favorites...shrug...
 Eliezermel
Msg: 40
Posted: 12/23/2007 6:05:45 PM
Before POF I had tried EHarm, MiGente, and Match. With Match, the one and only date I nailed down was for a drink and a show in the city. I had my arm around her waist by the end of the night...walked her to a cab...gave her a peck on the lips...and off she was. When she got home she sends me text "Thanks for a great night". I called her several times throughout the next week and not once did she answer my calls or call me back. Would you believe that 2 weeks after that date, my subscription was set expire. A coincedence? You decide?
 kevinmach
Msg: 41
Posted: 12/23/2007 6:14:47 PM

I called her several times throughout the next week and not once did she answer my calls or call me back. Would you believe that 2 weeks after that date, my subscription was set expire. A coincedence? You decide?

Are you suggesting that they paid this girl to go out with you? I am a little confused with the way you worded it, but I am highly doubting that's the case.

"Thanks for a great night"

This is pretty much the kiss of death, dude. Anytime you get a text saying "had a great time" or some other innocuous salutation with nothing else implied... no "call me" or "can't wait to do it again"... that's never a good sign.
 Eliezermel
Msg: 42
Posted: 12/23/2007 6:32:59 PM
"Are you suggesting that they paid this girl to go out with you? I am a little confused with the way you worded it, but I am highly doubting that's the case. "

I'm itching to say, yes , because the timing is weird, but I'd rather just be on the safe side and not pay. As far as I'm concerned POF, although no better or worse than others, is the last bastion of online dating.
 Eliezermel
Msg: 43
Posted: 12/23/2007 6:35:15 PM
"This is pretty much the kiss of death, dude. Anytime you get a text saying "had a great time" or some other innocuous salutation with nothing else implied... no "call me" or "can't wait to do it again"... that's never a good sign."

Kevinmach, I think this observation makes for a good 'Let's ask the ladies' thead, wouldn't you think?
 soundude
Msg: 44
Posted: 12/23/2007 6:45:03 PM

With your negative attitude about online dating sites OP, you should have all the women swarming around you in no time......................

Well after the lawsuits that some states attorney generals have brought against a few of those sites, he has reason to be negative. Yahoo personals was one, Date.com another.
These things dont always hit the news and a LOT of people dont even realize they are being cheated and ripped off.

Fact, some places only charge the men.
Fact, some places charge you in order to READ your e-mail let alone send any.
Some places block your personal e-mail address from being sent to another member.

Let me explain the scam perpetrated by some sites...
You join for free...you can browse etc but if you want to contact anybody, you have to pay. Fair enough.
If you DON'T pay...expect a few e-mails from gorgeous women who live in your city and/or state. Of course you can't read their e-mails and if you can, you can't reply....until you pay. Here's the scam...the women don't exist. They are bot accounts. These "accounts" send e-mails to new members who have not paid. After you pay up and respond to the e-mail, they never respond back.
A few guys suspected what was going on and tested the system by making up new bogus accounts. BAM...like clockwork....the new accounts received e-mails from...gorgeous women. If they created an account in the same city state, they received e-mails from the exact same bot accounts....if they created accounts in other states, same thing only different bot accounts from THAT state.

If you pay, expect the activity on your account to pick up as soon as the membership is about to expire. That keeps you paying so you can stay in contact.

Some sites go as far as filtering anything after the @ sign in an e-mail to another member...keeping you tied to THAT site to stay in communication. So you are not allowed to send an e-mail address like (at)yahoo.com

So he has every right to feel ripped off because he was. Some sites like I said ONLY charge the men and the women are NEVER aware of this.

So even for all of PoF's faults....it's free and doesn't block e-mail addresses from being sent...
Show ALL Forums  > Testimonials  > The Pay Dating Sites are a ripoff