Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > Dealing With the Rain      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 rain_city
Msg: 1
Dealing With the RainPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
The living in BC thread inspired this subject...

How do you get through the rainy season here in BC -- particularily the lower-mainland?
I know, with all the sunshine we've been having, it's hard to fathom the reality of the ensuing winter months, and rain, to come.

I love some rain, I don't mind a couple of weeks of rain, but when we have 1+months of day and night rain I get a little off kilter.

How do all you BCers deal with the endless dark and stormy.... night/day/night/day/night/day?

I do have an umbrella BTW.
 FRÊCKLËS~JÕ~®
Msg: 2
Dealing With the Rain
Posted: 8/28/2006 11:37:17 PM
I try my hardest not to complain about the rain... it sure beat's the crap outta them -40 winter's in the praries...

I deal with it.. via movies and a warm fire..( now to fuind a nice perosn willing to cuddle up with..)boohoo
but it has never stoped many POF's from driving all over the lower main land to get together...
miss seeing you rain city...
 get REEL
Msg: 3
Dealing With the Rain
Posted: 8/28/2006 11:38:38 PM
I worry about my make-up
I deal with it
 limemargarita
Msg: 4
Dealing With the Rain
Posted: 8/28/2006 11:39:42 PM
rain...what rain?.....when it comes, put the umbrella away and enjoy getting damp.....wet coast born and bred
 cotter
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Dealing With the Rain
Posted: 8/29/2006 12:19:44 AM
Whew! ... I hear ya'. I lived in Hawaii for 6 months. The first two months I lived there it rained every day ... sometimes non-stop. I was on the "big island" during the time (the Hilo side) ... it was when that dam broke on the Island of Kauai and wiped out those homes and the families living there ... several dead.

They were getting record-breaking amounts of rain and just 6 weeks prior to that, they were running out of water. They use the catchment system there and so the rain water that runs off the roofs runs into a holding tank and supplies the home with drinking water as well as bath/wash water. The holding tanks were running dry and the local trucking companies were going crazy trying to keep up with the water tank trucks ... trucking water to the Island residents.

Six weeks later ... the holding tanks were running over almost every time it rained. The land over there doesn't absorb the water as regular dirt ground does, so there's a lot of flooding and run off.

In Honolulu, when a sewer system broke, they sent the raw sewage straight into a canal that drains into a harbor ... for several days where many dock and live on expensive boats. It polluted the entire area for months to come.

In one city, it washed out a whole street of electrical poles ... one pole fell and it was like the domino effect, it pulled the next pole down, etc. ... took out an entire street of poles.
 jspudotoole
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Dealing With the Rain
Posted: 8/29/2006 12:22:55 AM
Do you think there is still enough time for me to think up a system for me to use said umbrella with the wheelchair. Haven't figured that out yet. May just just save up the bucks a little and buy some Gortex Pants and jacket. When that happens........... Just bring it.
 MikeM
Msg: 7
Dealing With the Rain
Posted: 8/29/2006 12:39:46 AM
I love the rain, I'll go out in the rain without a jacket or umbrella or anything, people say i'm nuts but its so refreshing.

Would take it before the heat any day.
 sucksqueezebangblow
Msg: 8
Dealing With the Rain
Posted: 8/29/2006 4:44:43 AM
one of the rasons i moved back to the praries. you can dress for the cold and still feel the sun during our god forsasaken winters. too much snow sucks,yea. but the brightness of it just adds to the blue skys.
 Doc Sage
Msg: 9
Dealing With the Rain
Posted: 8/29/2006 5:22:53 AM
Umbrellas? Oh, those things that non westcoasters carry about to stab others and eventually let the wind have fun with. Us locals do not impede our style with them.

I, for one, rather like the rain. For one we do not need to shovel it.

Doc Sage
 SPAZTIC
Msg: 10
Dealing With the Rain
Posted: 8/29/2006 6:15:19 AM
Got rain on the brain? Move to the plains of Spain and go insane cuz here in BC baby... it's all about the rain.....

Te Wet Coast is my birthplace (North Shore) you learn to LIKE the rain.

Mud wrestling anyone?
 curiousgal43
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Dealing With the Rain
Posted: 8/29/2006 6:21:36 AM
Considering my favourite colour is green... I love the rain! (nothing like our lush landscape)
But then again, our 'rain' is very rarely non-stop. It might be grey all day, but usually it is only raining for part of the day.

Us westcoaster learn early, whatever plans you make.. just go with them. Never look out the window to make plans!

There are very few things you can't do in the rain.. and some of the things in the rain can be soooo fun
 who_the_fox
Msg: 12
Dealing With the Rain
Posted: 8/29/2006 6:34:17 AM
I don't mind the wet, but I HATE the dark (I am solar powered)....so I use a tanning bed once/week and I have very BRIGHT full spectrum lights in my home. It seems to help.
 sucksqueezebangblow
Msg: 13
Dealing With the Rain
Posted: 8/29/2006 6:39:25 AM
actually the rain was a bummer for me but the lack of sun was what did me in. summers on the coast are awesome. walking around in a tee shirt in february[stay outta the shade tho,lol],was a treat. but the big sky is where i like to be. thing is tho, weather, cant do anything about it, so dont ****,just be glad it isnt acid rain, like ontario has[had? did that ever get cleaned up?]
 PurpleRain58
Msg: 14
Dealing With the Rain
Posted: 8/29/2006 6:47:07 AM
Rain - Purple Rain - Great...

Just hides the tears...
 whodeletedme
Msg: 15
Dealing With the Rain
Posted: 8/29/2006 7:05:35 AM
^ long time no see someguy.

Rain,.. it's just liquid sunshine!!! LOVE IT. Just the never ending clouds and "shallow ceiling" effect that I get a tad tired of, then again it's dark when I go to work and dark when I get off so I never really get a chance to notice! Do miss the Alberta skies. Green is my favourite colour too so it all works for me.
 nuthafish
Msg: 16
Dealing With the Rain
Posted: 8/29/2006 7:13:39 AM
Rain?
Wet stuff?
Get out AND SOCIALIZE
 thumper*
Msg: 17
Dealing With the Rain
Posted: 8/29/2006 8:25:05 AM
Move to Richmond.......I grew up in Deep Cove...always raining out there...always sunny in Richmond...as soon as you cross the bridge......
 get REEL
Msg: 18
Dealing With the Rain
Posted: 8/29/2006 9:07:17 AM
^^^^ still yearns for DEEP Coves
 sucksqueezebangblow
Msg: 19
Dealing With the Rain
Posted: 8/29/2006 9:10:00 AM
forgot to say get deep?
 tallsexycowgirl
Msg: 20
Dealing With the Rain
Posted: 8/29/2006 9:11:25 AM
im not even thinking about this thread until the rain starts.... don't even remind me!!!!
 Fluffy Handcuffs
Msg: 21
Dealing With the Rain
Posted: 8/29/2006 9:17:34 AM
I love the rain! It's so refreshing .... especially after all this heat weve been having... settles the dust and refreshes everything, including the air, I say!

Ive lived here all my life, I do own an umbrella... but rarely use it. I think many Vancouverites are like that: own one, but hardly use it - whats a little rain going to do?
 nuthafish
Msg: 22
Dealing With the Rain
Posted: 8/29/2006 9:23:56 AM
Shux - sucha pity we don't get those sudden flash rainstorms in summer - would definitely enhance the "nipply" scenery
 halokitty
Msg: 23
Dealing With the Rain
Posted: 8/29/2006 9:26:26 AM
In the small town I used to live in (Logan Lake) it snowed ten months of the year and even in July you had to wear a coat if you wanted to go outside after sunset. That said, I'll deal with the rain and mild temperatures than 4ft of snow and -37 C weather. :)
 *Rock*
Msg: 24
Dealing With the Rain
Posted: 8/29/2006 9:28:50 AM
love the rain, and living in a rain forest over here is perfect for me, nothing like walking through old growth forest when its pouring, its almost magical...
 timber_wolf
Msg: 25
Dealing With the Rain
Posted: 8/29/2006 10:07:26 AM
i can put up with the rain better than i can pushing a shovel full of snow.
Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > Dealing With the Rain