Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Dressing too young      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 SassySweet52
Msg: 1
Dressing too youngPage 1 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
Searched and didn't find this, so I thought I'd ask. Keep in mind, i live in Florida, and the dress style down here is definitely more casual

What do you think of women/men who dress too young? I work with the public, and I thought of this because there are ladies and men who come into my place of business, and yes, they are "fit", but they dress entirely too young. When do you think you need to stop buying your clothes off the junior racks (even if they fit) and start dressing more appropriately? And yes, I know appropriate is a subjective word, but let's just look at the majority of people here.

An example is a women I know must be in her 70's. She's extremely wrinkled from too many years maintaining that dark tan she has. She looks like a sharpei! But here she is, in sports tops and shorts. I'm sorry, but just because you're not fat doesn't mean your skin is attractive! I'm sure she's proud of her body being so fit, and it's nice to see women her age who work out, but come on!

Then there are the older ladies in decent shape for their age, but not young and smooth and firm anymore, who wear bikinis on the beach, or even worse, thongs. And please, older breasts need bras! There is NOTHING attractive about nipples at your belly button, or droopy things hanging out of a tank top.

And can't leave out the men. We've all seen the buddha bellied guys in speedos, and all I've got to say is ewwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!! We have one guy here who has a great body for his age, swims every day, and walks home down our city streets in his swim trunks. Now he looks great...for his age...but swim trunks belong on the beach or in the pool, and can he not just slip on a tank top for the walk home?

I don't see as many older men flaunting their bodies, but there are a few, equally wrinkled, who think we want to see their tight bellies and obviously, the outline of their privates because they come in with cut off tanks and skin tight jeans. again...ewwwwwwwwwwww!!
 anApplepear
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Dressing too young
Posted: 8/31/2006 8:58:17 AM
Wow!! What a new Topic. I can't wait to see what the others have to respond.

What you are saying in here, more correctly should be "people should dress to cover up their ugly bodies", not necessary in relating to not young and firm skin or dressing too young.

I think people have rights to dress to their own comfortables and for themselvesonly unless they are showing too much of their privates.

If you don't want to look at ugly things, just turn your own face, very simple. But you want to discuss this issue, so I am waiting to read what others have to say.
 bobby7
Msg: 3
Dressing too young
Posted: 8/31/2006 9:02:12 AM
I have to go along with Crystalheart on this one People can dress the way they want to, as far as I'm concerned.. I don't have to look at what I don't like..

And I don't see a 'pressing' need for Clothes Police..
 AgelessWonder
Msg: 4
Dressing too young
Posted: 8/31/2006 9:14:08 AM
Dressing too young! No such thing! I dress the way I want to dress, and if I wear shorts to go to shopping and if somebody doesn't like my legs, that is their tough luck!! They don't have to look at the ugly veins! People our age should be over the "body image" thingy. Just my opinion. So if I had a lot of wrinkles on my face, should I wear a mask?
 themaven
Msg: 5
Dressing too young
Posted: 8/31/2006 9:14:30 AM
I have to agree with whatever floats your boat. If you are comfortable wearing something, then by all means fill your boots.

My own personal rule that I tend to follow (for the most part) is if you are old enough to see a trend come into style for the second time you are likely too old to wear it. There are some fashion styles that are ageless and classic. I am talking the trends. crop tops and hip hugger jeans were in when I was much younger, now they are in again, best left for my daughter to wear this time around.

Anyways, reiterating what I said to begin with. Power on to people wearing whatever they feel like. (we can all just turn the other cheek......no?)
 TWINSUGARPLUM
Msg: 6
Dressing too young
Posted: 8/31/2006 9:26:33 AM
WOW,,,, THIS TOUCHED HOME. IAM GOING TO BE 50 IN ABOUT 2 WEEKS. MY NIECE GETS ON TO ME FOR TRYING TO DRESS TO YOUNG. SHE IS 18 AND TOLD ME I NEEDED TO DRESS MY AGE. HOW IS A SOON TO BE 50 SUPPOSE TO DRESS. ONE DAY WE WERE GOING TO TOWN AND SHE POPPED UP OH AUNT NET YOU GOT THE SAME KIND OF PANTS I HAVE ON. AND I SAID SO, IAM NOT GOING HOME TO CHANGE. WELL I WENT TO THE STORE SHE WORKED AT AND ASK HER WHERE THE CLOTHES MY SIZE WAS, SHE POINTED ME TO THEM. I WENT AND LOOKED SHE HAD SENT ME TO THE BIGGER SIZES AND UGLEY CLOTHES. I TOLD HER THAT THEY WERE TO BIG. NOW SHOW ME WHERE THE SMALLER SIZES ARE. I FOUND WHAT I WANTED AND SHOWED HER, SHE SAID THAT WANT FIT YOU. TOLD HER I HAD ALLREADY TRIED THEM AND THEY DO. I THINK WE SHOULD BE ABLE TO WEAR ANYTHING WE WANT TO. AS LONG AS WE ARENT SHOWING TO MUCH SKIN. THE AGE DONT HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH THAT. SKIN IS SKIN AND SOME MEN LIKE SKINNEY, AND SOME LIKE BBW. SO ITS OUR CHOSE, IF IT BOTHERS YOU, HOW DO YOU KNOW YOU DONT BOTHER ME WITH YOUR CHOOSE.
ALL I CAN SAY IS DONT LOOK. THANKS FOR LETTING ME GIVE MY OPPINION.
 Are you there
Msg: 7
Dressing too young
Posted: 8/31/2006 9:32:47 AM
All I can say is…if I had the money id have a wardrobe to rival Al Calovichi
(ok so only Quantum Leap fans will know what I mean)
 TampaLady
Msg: 8
Dressing too young
Posted: 8/31/2006 9:32:55 AM
Dear Fellow Floridian,

Where do I begin ….

People, no matter where they live, dress as they do for many reasons. The least likely reason is that they dress to please complete strangers that don’t matter in their lives. More likely reasons are, in no particular order of importance, that they wish to please themselves, wish to please the person they’re with, wish to be fashionable, wish to stay cool and comfortable, wish to attract the attention of someone they’d like to meet, wish to project a certain image, or simply don’t care.

Short of walking around naked, which is against the law in most places, why do you care what others look like? They don’t interest you, so enjoy the show. If what I wear makes you laugh or gets your nod of approval, then I’ve made your day. If what I wear makes you cringe, I probably won’t notice. If what I wear pleases me or the person I’m with, or the person I hope to attract, then I’ve made my day!

No matter what shape a man is in, I like to see them wear tight jeans. No man has ever told me I wear my clothes too tight, but plenty have told me they like the way I dress. That's what matters to me.
 sunshine2tan
Msg: 9
Dressing too young
Posted: 8/31/2006 9:37:44 AM
I have always loved the styles of the younger generation...I even love some of the goth clothing and makeup. Do I think I would ever be too old to want to wear any of it? No. But, I decide to dress classy and fashionable....and that is definitely not old lady style. There is such a way that a person can dress that makes them look older, and therefore, a bit silly. That also goes for the younger generation....they can wear clothing/makeup/hairstyles that makes them appear much older and maybe not so silly. No matter who we are or what sex we are or what age we are.....we all have the choice to dress however we choose but just be prepared for any reactions, whether negative or positive. JMHO
 moraima
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Dressing too young
Posted: 8/31/2006 9:41:07 AM
I agree that people should dress to their lifestyle, and what is comfortable.

However, they should take into account what their body type is. I can't deal with stomach fat hanging out of either men or women. It doesn't matter whether they are 18 or 80, an overflow of fatty tissue will make most people want to look the other way.
 BlueeyedBabe
Msg: 11
Dressing too young
Posted: 8/31/2006 9:48:55 AM
This thread has never been done? No? Can't be!
 Frau Blücher
Msg: 12
Dressing too young
Posted: 8/31/2006 9:52:48 AM
Well, I shop in the juniors section. I wear a size 1/2 in pants. I cannot find anything that fits me in the "Junior Samples" department. Besides the fit issue, I don't want to dress like Bea Arthur. Most of the "women's" fashions appear very matronly to me. Sorry, but I'm just not a Levi's Bendover pants kind of gal.

So, the 70 year-old woman who lives in the sweltering humid heat of "God's waiting room" should be ridiculed for wearing shorts and a sports top? Perhaps she wasn't looking to project the image of fashion mavin, but rather dresses that way to beat the heat. What's next, requiring those who we deem less attractive to wear bags over their heads in public? Imagine it, a world full of "Unknown Comics".

I say this all in fun, OP (I did find your post humorous). Truthfully, I don't care how other people dress. Who am I to judge?
 Are you there
Msg: 13
Dressing too young
Posted: 8/31/2006 10:16:12 AM
who is Bea Arthur ?
 Are you there
Msg: 14
Dressing too young
Posted: 8/31/2006 10:18:34 AM
wear bags over their heads in public? Imagine it, a world full of "Unknown Comics".......................................................

hmmmm thought we already had them with muslem women forced to wear the head dress
 sunshine2tan
Msg: 15
Dressing too young
Posted: 8/31/2006 10:30:41 AM
Bea Arthur was in the Golden Girls years ago with Betty White....It was hilarious
 anApplepear
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Dressing too young
Posted: 8/31/2006 10:40:06 AM
^^^oh, you are talking about Maude and her friends. They always dress nicely whether in bath ropes or in pants.....but it's never for me, I am always with T shirts to bed, T shirts to streets.
 wanda1fish
Msg: 17
Dressing too young
Posted: 8/31/2006 11:36:23 AM
<< cannot possibly dress too young!! what the *$%$% is that anyway?? .. I'm almost 50 .. and its not just the flashes that make me hot!!! lmao .. the day i feel the need to sit in some "age" mold because some one things they have the right to impose their tastes on me? .. well i better be on some damn fine meds!!! ..

Its 2006 ... we are FREE to BE who we are .. we define our own selves ... we do not need fashion police or magazines to tell us whose taste to follow !! such silliness is left to the world of runways and those who have all kinds of time to mask their awesome genuine selves..

I don't wear make up .. i don't cover my wonderful grey hair .. don't have to check in with anyone about what i'm allowed to wear or free not to wear! .. there are those who would love to see a law passed preventing me from wearing my baretoes in public!!! eeek!!! i am lucky to have clothes to keep me comfortable and warm ..

age, size, blahblahblah .. go ahead and tell me i'm too old to wear these daisy dukes! lmao .. go ahead and suggest how i'd be appropriate .. if if if .. if i was hung up on the illusion of the exterior .. or the lies that the masses buy into every day .. and i mean "buy" into!! i could do like many ... completely empty out the stuff that makes me ME .. and cover the shell with fakery .. and insults to MY creator! .. NOPE ... i'll wear my daisy dukes .. cuz it suits ME .. and i'll wear MY Fashion .. don't need no magazines cept to line the litter box! .. i wish we were all free to just be ... aaaaaaaaah ...

i'm gonna dye my hair 3 shades and spike it .. when i'm 85 .. just to see if "they're" looking! lol
if i don't like what You are wearing .. so what? .. i don't have to wear it .. and its really none of my business what others wear .. plus i think its a tad arrogant for anyone to suggest they have better taste than someone else .. its not "better" .. its just different! .. my fav is unique
i'm gonna dye my hair 3 shades and spike it .. when i'm 85 .. just to see if "they're" looking! lol ..

and i'm gonna say Bite Me til i die!!! lmao .. i'd love to hear some old girl of 98 say that!! ...

wanda
gotta be free
 bobby7
Msg: 18
Dressing too young
Posted: 8/31/2006 11:39:59 AM
They wont let me just post "LMAO', by itself..So..ROFLMAO...Wanda!
 wanda1fish
Msg: 19
Dressing too young
Posted: 8/31/2006 11:52:28 AM
i fear i may forget the promises i make in my youth .. so bobby .. just in case i do this ones for you!!! Bite Me !!

wanda
the fish with no scales
where are my dam scales?
 river_lady
Msg: 20
Dressing too young
Posted: 8/31/2006 11:54:38 AM

who is Bea Arthur

Remembers Quantum Leap (all time fav show) but not Bea Arthur hmmmmmmmmmm
 Realist59
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Dressing too young
Posted: 8/31/2006 12:05:29 PM
I think the way people dress tells much about their attitude towards other people. If they dress to please themselves only and don't mind showing off their body, warts, stretch marks, pot belly, excessive hair, wrinkles, cellulite, knobby knees, scars, and all then they're saying I've accepted myself as I am and don't care what others think. Which is great for them, but some people do get turned off by it, and you can find evidence of that in many places (like in about 1,000 women's magazines). Diversification of viewpoint is a great thing though, because it does teach us acceptance. It's great that we live in a society where we can accept that other people are turned off by the way we dress or our bodies and we don't let it bother us. People wearing whatever they want allows us to tell more about them without their saying anything. It wouldn't be a good idea if we all went back to dressing like sheep - we'd never be able to spot the wolves.

Most of the time I could care less what I look like (and you can tell :-), but that's the choice I've made and I'm willing to take the consequences of it. We're all adults so we can do what we want, but if you think you can do whatever you want and get away without judgement then you're dreaming.

Never hurts to watch a few episodes of "What Not to Wear" every once in awhile. Stacey and Clinton have a great way of saying why it matters week after week.

PS You'll probably see me on there one day - my daughter's mission in life.
 moraima
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Dressing too young
Posted: 8/31/2006 12:06:14 PM
Yes, being tiny can be an issue for some of us gals. I'll take that problem though. I dress for the activity that I am doing, and of couse for the temperature.
 Scotchlassie
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Dressing too young
Posted: 8/31/2006 12:37:30 PM
I think everyone should be able to dress in whatever style makes them comfortable - which many people do . . . And good for them!
It's too bad that people try to do things to make others approve of them, cuz you just can't please all the people all the time - so may as well please y'self
 *tinydancer*
Msg: 24
Dressing too young
Posted: 8/31/2006 2:33:19 PM
As far as I'm concerned, I kinda follow the rules of "What Not To Wear". No mini-skirts after a certain age, no exposed body parts. I'd never attempt to dress like a teenager, even though I probably could. I kinda like to leave something to the imagination anyway......
 wanda1fish
Msg: 25
Dressing too young
Posted: 8/31/2006 2:43:46 PM
To quote Realist59: "We're all adults so we can do what we want, but if you think you can do whatever you want and get away without judgement then you're dreaming." end quote ..

well realist59 .. no one said there weren't going to be those judges .. critics .. those who for whatever reason have decided that they are superior .. their taste is superior .. their opinions are of course "right" .. blahblahblah ... never said i could stop people from wasting their time .. but i do have a choice in who i listen to! .. as for your magazines? .. we are all pretty aware these days of how those pics are doctored .. air brushed .. people are made to look slimmer than they are .. younger than they are .. anything but what they really look like .. and i suppose there are those who prefer masks .. i feel sad for them .. really i do .. i've seen women at the beach who are afraid to get in the water ..!! not because of the sharks .. because it'll wash off their make up .. mess up the hair do!!! .. its really kinda sad how some are so controlled by what they think others will think of them .. sad and silly ..

Personally .. you can judge me all you like for what i'm wearing .. i hear a lot of "judgement" type comments from people who aren't free to be their own selves .. with their own hair colour .. wrinkles.. sagging parts .. whatever! .. i walk like me, i talk like me, i wear my own hair and eye colour ... as for the clothes i choose to wear .. ? .. those who choose to judge me on something so shallow say waaaay more about themselves than they do of me! .. All my "style" or lack of it ... says is "I am Free to be me." .. judge that!

The truth that helps me to stay true to myself is that the only way i will know for sure that the person at my side truelly loves and accepts "me" .. is if i am genuine .. true to myself .. daisy dukes and all!! .... besides .. i'm almost 50 and i have a great aaaa ooops .. lol

wanda
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Dressing too young