Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Should the police be armed?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 pantsonfire
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Should the police be armed?Page 1 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
^^^ Yes sorry they were.. I know they killed an innocent person, but it was a case of the death of one person as opposed to the chance of losing dozens of innocents!! Look at the case of Sharon Beshenivsky! she was just as innocent!!!!
I agree that the police should be armed, the argument about it escalating violence within the criminal fraternity is now a moot point as the criminals are armed to the teeth anyway...
The police in this country are nothing more than a bunch of castrated security staff and desperately need more powers to be given to them without fear of recrimination from all corners should there be an accident...
There aren't investigations every time some chavvy get attacks a copper!!!!!
 corleo
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Should the police be armed?
Posted: 9/4/2006 1:51:48 AM
yes the police should be armed with tazers to combat some violence and protect themselves..but as its fairly easy to make a tazer if you got the right knowledge, then the crims may end up carrying their own about and the unfortunate public will end up getting zapped as well as getting robbed etc, but i think armed response units are the right choice for the times..at the moment..
 no-mad
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Posted: 9/6/2006 1:25:52 AM
The simple fact is guns are easy to get hold of on the street and not just shot guns like in the old days.Criminals these days carry automatlc wepons,most of these come from eastern europe and are easy to get hold of if you know where to look.

Firearms incidents are almost a daily occurance in parts of London and other major cities in the UK and the police have a duty to protect the public,so more armed officers are going to be needed in the future and that I support,but it will be a sad day when every officer has to be armed!!!
 pantsonfire
Msg: 65
view profile
History
Posted: 9/6/2006 10:20:18 AM
Crikey acid tongue..... a trip to the sin bin certainly hasn't mellowed your opinions... :)

You really cannot generalise ALL the members of the police force as 'pepperspray abusing imbeciles' There are many upstanding constables and officers, also I do believe the finality and inevitable inquiry after a police shooting would act as a mild deterrant to overuse of a firearm..Also I'm sorry but using a situation such as urinating in an alleyway as an example is probably not the best choice even tongue firmly held in cheek...
I do understand your reticence but I personally believe that the escalation in violent crime in this country means that now is the time to arm our law enforcers....

*EDIT* OKOK I cede to your superior intellect and wit Acid m'man VVVV
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Should the police be armed?