Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Lets talk about Bruce.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 bogiefan54
Msg: 1
Lets talk about Bruce.Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Bruce Springsteen,the greatest songwriter in modern times.Do you agree and if so,why? For me it's because no one else speaks to my inner soul like he does. His songs have literally lifted me up from the depths of depression.They are almost always about keeping faith even when all around you are lost.
 Saturday Night Rocks
Msg: 2
Lets talk about Bruce.
Posted: 9/4/2006 6:08:34 PM
Very talented; he's done a lot of good material over the years. I won't go so far as to say he's the greatest modern songwriter, but he's a darned good one...
 c.taylor
Msg: 3
Lets talk about Bruce.
Posted: 9/4/2006 8:06:34 PM
I do think Bruce is on of the greats,even though I'm not a huge fan of his music.John Hiatt,Chris Whitley,Michael Akerfeldt are some of my current favorites .
 ocrikeymikey
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Lets talk about Bruce.
Posted: 9/5/2006 3:37:19 AM
My favourite!! Very cinematic music,I can actually picture scenes from some of those songs!!
 Huggablehottie
Msg: 5
Lets talk about Bruce.
Posted: 9/5/2006 10:09:31 AM
Sorry, I am not a fan, his voice was irritating.
 drtywhtboy
Msg: 6
Lets talk about Bruce.
Posted: 9/5/2006 12:22:49 PM
with all of his success this guy never seemed to get full of himself. a great writer to be sure. his legendary live shows are a huge factor in his popularity. and certainly sell his records. therefore more people are exposed to his writings. otherwise he would be another underexposed, great writer. like prine,van zandt, earle and a few more. i saw him in the fall of '75 and to this day, with countless concerts under my belt, i have never seen a show quite like it. a 3,000 seat venue and 3hrs.45mins. of energy.
 drtywhtboy
Msg: 7
Lets talk about Bruce.
Posted: 9/17/2006 1:38:54 AM
well i don't know how 2 marriages makes him full of himself. and his work with e street is always on and off. don't know about him posing for the last 20 years. but i do know that he makes countless live appearances with local musicians totally unannounced. if the guy was full of himself he wouldn't be doing that. i've been around musicians and pro athletes for about 30 years and although i've never worked for him personally, he just doesn't fit my definition of being full of ones self.
 drtywhtboy
Msg: 8
Lets talk about Bruce.
Posted: 9/17/2006 7:03:06 AM
what the hell's the difference between a 9=11 widow and any other kind of widow? why would HE need to defend that, let alone me? and this makes him a pig as a husband. so now you have intimate details of his marriage? who did what and to whom? wtf
 pjvaughan
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Lets talk about Bruce.
Posted: 9/18/2006 4:26:54 AM
LETS NOT.........i would rather talk about placebo.
 Montreal_Guy
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Lets talk about Bruce.
Posted: 9/18/2006 3:14:59 PM

I certainly am.

I first saw Bruce****urn live in December 1976, at the Palais Montcalm Theatre in Quebec City. That was in his acoustic period, and he had an incredible group of musicians with him. He was well known, and well loved, in Quebec - even then.

I remember him playing "Dialogue with the Devil" , and during it's "Why don't we celebrate" refrain....hearing a small baby start to cry gently somewhere in the audience. It added to the atmosphere, and meaning, of that song's message, in a rather strange way.

In the early Eighties in Montreal, it wasn't unusual to see me in the front row, or almost, in a****urn show - sometimes coming back for the next night's show as well. I remember seeing him shortly after his divorce, playing a solo show at Place Des Arts. You could tell he wasn't as strong as usual, but the show was still a good one.

Hearing "Loner" for the first time, with it's stunning Hugh Marsh violin solo, was yet another moment of wonder for me. If you listen to it carefully, you can hear the story of a relationship being played out. Great soaring peaks of emotion, the sounds of lovemaking, the gently whispers between two lovers...sadness and joy.

Marsh was yet another of those wonderful backing musicians that have always been a hallmark of Bruce's band. I still remember seeing Marsh start playing a James Brown style funk piece with the band , holding his violin like a guitar and playing it with a pick - and it actually worked.

His style of guitar playing was always an influence on me, especially the acoustic fingerpicking side of it. His lyrics too, influenced my musical development. He proved that you could use your music to express a message, to have meaning, and to say things that many artists never even thought of saying.

Couple that with his strong political activism, humanitarian work, and long history of great music - and it's not too hard to see how he's easily considered one of the great artists this country has produced.

I was quite happy to hear he moved to Montreal, and I trust one day we will meet on the street downtown. If we do, I'll thank him for everything he's done and tell him how much it's meant to me.

Montreal_Guy
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Lets talk about Bruce.
Posted: 9/18/2006 3:15:32 PM
oops..wrong thread...sorry.
 anticon
Msg: 12
Lets talk about Bruce.
Posted: 9/18/2006 9:35:25 PM
I don't think you could call Springsteen the "Greatest", because the greatest means the most successful... having had the most influence on other artists, etc, etc... and Dylan's greater in that respect.
Nobody's had as many of his songs done by other artists with as great a level of success as Dylan. I never liked his live performances, or even his own recordings that much. I've preferred to hear most of them covered by other artists, in fact...

But I've found out that MANY of the songs he's written, I didn't even know he'd written.

Have you heard "Seven Days" by Ron Wood? or "Forever Young" by Rod Stewart (and everybody else?) or "I need a woman" by Ry Cooder? or "My Masterpiece" by Emmylou Harris? or "I Threw It All Away" by Elvis Costello? or "The Lily of the West" by Mark Knopfler?

Johnny Cash is the same... he's written so many things done by other artists besides himself... He's got to be near the top on that list as well: "Get Rhythm", "Hey Porter", "On a Monday"... he even wrote a tune that Dylan totally swiped to create "It Ain't Me Babe" called "Understand your man"...

and then of course there's Lennon and Mc Cartney... What about THEM???

Now maybe Bruce's songs speak to you more than any others, and I can understand that. No doubt he's a great songwriter... and maybe other artists will start appreciating his work more than the others someday and history will prove me wrong; but at this point, I can't agree...
 drtywhtboy
Msg: 13
Lets talk about Bruce.
Posted: 9/18/2006 9:49:35 PM
i only knew the dylan version of some of the songs you mentioned. didn't know costello did a version of .....threw it all away. as for lennon and mc cartney, well, (strap in boys we're gonna get hammered) what did paul mc cartney ever do ? john lennon was the song writer in that pop band. paul got undeserved credit.
 Byrd
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Lets talk about Bruce.
Posted: 9/19/2006 12:56:54 PM
I love Bruce and I'll sit on anyone who talks sh t about him..
 RU4afunartist
Msg: 15
Lets talk about Bruce.
Posted: 9/19/2006 5:34:09 PM
I find it interesting watching all the twists and turns he's taken with styles of music. E-street band launched him and carried him. Nebraska was totally solo. He did all the tracks when in an introverted space. Then back to the band. Then with non-profits like Live-Aid and political gigs, and specials, like with Roy Orbison. Tom Joad seemed like a repeat of Nebraska - a way of finding himself, but a huge flop. Periods of his life changed him and he took on religion after having a family with Sciolfa(sp?). His lyrics and music bears witness. Now he's doing folk. He's got to be one of the most interesting performers I've seen.
 deeply aphrased
Msg: 16
Lets talk about Bruce.
Posted: 8/16/2007 3:51:01 PM
Time to bump this back up. . .

I agree OP, he's the greatest. The things in this world I find truly exciting are few and far between. Going to one of his live shows is soul-reviving! The E-Street Band is absolutely legendary and if you leave one of his shows without having been plugged into the thrill of it then you must be in a coma.

He's coming out with a new release in October 2007 called 'Magic' and it's going to give rock n roll another long-awaited shot in the arm. World Tour in 2008 -2009 and I can hardly wait.

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2007/08/16/bruce-springsteens-magic-exclusive-details-on-the-boss-new-e-street-band-lp/

That man was born to be on a stage, taking crowds on the ride of their lives!
 motolou
Msg: 17
Lets talk about Bruce.
Posted: 8/16/2007 4:19:18 PM
His music has been part of the soundtrack to my life for many years. I'll lift a glass to him you dont have to but hey this is america you can do what you want. May he be around for many more years.
 rising72
Msg: 18
Lets talk about Bruce.
Posted: 8/18/2007 6:42:45 AM
bruce rules.greatest live performer in my book.............new album out oct 2 07........album name is ''magic''

'Magic' Song Titles:

1. Radio Nowhere
2. You'll Be Comin' Down
3. Livin' in the Future
4. Your Own Worst Enemy
5. Gypsy Biker
6. Girls in Their Summer Clothes
7. I'll Work for Your Love
8. Magic
9. Last to Die
10. Long Walk Home
11. Devil's Arcade
 BBruin72
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Lets talk about Bruce.
Posted: 8/18/2007 7:00:52 PM
Awesome songwriter, still going strong! Can't waot for the new CD Magic coming out in October! Definately one of the grreatest of all time:banger
 Strange Days
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Lets talk about Bruce.
Posted: 8/19/2007 3:54:22 AM
I love "Nebraska", and "Darkness On the Edge of Town", don't really like his 80's stuff too much. The one thing Bruce shall be remembered by, if nothing else: "The Rising". A great album, and one of the top post -9/11 albums. It really sums of the hopes and fears of America at the time. Like Green Day's "American Idiot", this is music that records a moment in time, musicly, socially, and politically.
 redeye
Msg: 21
Lets talk about Bruce.
Posted: 8/20/2007 4:34:59 PM
He definately has delivered the goods. He put real life in words that became timeless songs. The Boss was and is a true artist.
 Thatguy67
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Lets talk about Bruce.
Posted: 8/20/2007 7:25:22 PM
He's coming out with a new record with his E Street Band mates in the fall!

Longrock1WW
Msg: 23
Lets talk about Bruce.
Posted: 8/26/2007 11:54:01 AM
There always seems to be a love or hate thing going on with Springsteen. A lot of people whose music taste I usually agree with can't stand Bruce. I like him. Loved Born To Run album and never thought he came close to matching it. He was considered a bit of a sellout with the whole Born In The USA stuff and has seemed to be trying to get away from that, maybe too much. Most of his albums don't contain more than two good/popular/hit songs. Some people think for his talent he's just gotten extremely lucky, which is partially true. 41 shots was a mistake, getting extremely political is a huge mistake. He's isolated most of his core fans. He couldn't go to the 9/11 benefit at the garden because people hated him for that song. He could have made the same statement without using those particular lyrics. Truth is that was just a horrible, tragic, accident (the incident the song was about). I was at the show where cops who were assigned to Bruce left him to fend for himself because he played that song. Springsteen got stuck in Shea Stadium traffic for hours because of it. He didn't play the song the next night.
 wants2bwu
Msg: 24
Lets talk about Bruce.
Posted: 8/26/2007 2:15:07 PM
I wouldn't go so far as to say he is the greatest....lots of talent....and my favorite?
I'm on Fire....uh huh...
 northern blonde
Msg: 25
Lets talk about Bruce.
Posted: 8/26/2007 9:12:45 PM
I think the whole spectrum has been covered on the Boss. The question i have is, Has anyone heard the new Live in Dublin disc and what is your opinion?
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Lets talk about Bruce.