Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ontario  > Advise from Men - Shaving      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 prof_chaos
Msg: 5
Advise from Men - ShavingPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Duct tape lol from the Steve-O school of shaving!!

I shave in the shower,kill 2 birds with one stone but I think you have to have been shaving for a while to pull that off.No mirror just memory,and go with the grain until youve made it short then,go against,will get a closer shave than going with the grain for the entire shave.
Sounds like your doing fine,was there any blood?Shaving in the shower also helps eliminate the need for toilet paper if he gets cut.Finish off with a blast of cold water to the face.

After shave with alcohol hurts,especialy if there are cuts.
 Danteslnferno
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Advise from Men - Shaving
Posted: 9/8/2006 6:52:03 AM
Ahhhhhhh I AM HERE TO HELP!!!!! (BTW, hi foxy Roxy )

Ok, firstly and please PLEASE heed this point: If he doesn't have facial hair to shave, DO NOT SHAVE HIM!!!! This WILL lead to facial hair as when you shave the peach fuzz off it will eventually turn dark and coarse and become real facial hair. Trust me when I say he may want to learn how to shave now, but when he is shaving at 14, it becomes a life long pain in the BUTTFEST!!!!

Ok, so let's say he already has some facial hair he wants to rid himself of. Here is how i do it:

1. I shave after taking a shower. This softens the beard so that there will be minimal razor burn and the hairs are cut easier.

2. If he doesn't want to take a warm shower, have him wash his face with warm to hot water until the skin is warm to the touch and the hairs are soft. You can also use a hot towel held on the face for a couple of minutes.

3. Take the shaving cream or gel (My preference is Nivea shaving gel. It turns into a very thick lather which holds the hairs up nicely when shaving. Also has moisturizers that help with preventing skin abbrasions). Spread the lather over his face, but outline the lips and away from the ears so as to not shave over these spots. Make sure you work the lather in, don't just spread it on like peanut butter.

4. Warm the blade of the razor. for some reason it helps slice through the hairs of the face better. Oh yes, GET HIM HIS OWN RAZOR!!! Leg and body hairs are coarser than facial hair. Besides, he'll want his own razor and shaving kit if he starts to shave. I suggest the Mach 3 or 4 razors from gilette. A bit pricier but a very smooth shave with less abbrasion.

5. Won't matter where you start but always shave in the direction of growth. what I mean is, don't shave against the grain of the hair. This will cause MAJOR RAZOR BURN and potential ingrown hairs.

6. Do not go over areas already shaved. This will also cause razor burn.

7. Take your time with it. Don't rush. Use long slow strokes. Press down on the razor a bit but not too much.

8. Once the shaving is done, have him wash his face with Warm to Hot water to get off any residual cream and to remove dirt or shaven hair from the face.

9. After washing the face with hot water, turn the taps on to cool to cold. Have him splash his face with cold water. This will close his pores and block out any potential bacteria.

10. Use isopropyl alcohol or a shaving after shave (With little or no aroma) to disinfect shaving area. WARNING, this will burn a bit.

11. Wipe face with towel and then put moisturizing cream. Usually the face is dry after such treatment so moisturize it a few minutes after putting on the aftershave/alcohol.

oh yes, it would be a good idea to have some music on in the backround to make the experience less tedious for him. One other thing. If you want him to practice without actually shaving, use an inflated balloon as the canvass. Inflate a balloon, spread shaving cream on balloon, and have him scrape the shaving cream off the balloon as if he were shaving. this will help him gain better control of the pressure he can put on the razor without cutting himself. If he presses too hard, teh baloon pops, lesson learned with no pain.
 Gumper1
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 9/8/2006 6:59:57 AM
I'm sure you'll get lots of different advice on this one. Here's mine:

Always wet face well before, to help soften, if you can shave in the shower, that's the best, you can buy a mirror that hooks up before the shower head and doesn't fog up
Prefer gel over cream
Always use long strokes, in the direction the whisker (or hairs) grow, don't go against the grain
NEVER use a razor that's been used on a womans legs, they either use them too long or the blade is pitted like a machete madly trying to escape the jungle!!
Always use an after shave or balm, they close the pores and reduce the chance of irritation/infection. Balms are better in winter as they moisturize as well.

If all else fails, I'll gladly volunteer to be there in the morning to assist the lad......

prof_chaos
Msg: 9
Posted: 9/8/2006 7:17:26 AM
noone said they were using a straight blade
 t-gurl
Msg: 12
Posted: 9/8/2006 7:43:38 AM
If using a multi blade razor, it's important to rinse it after every couple of strokes and VERY important to run water through the blades to get rid of the whiskers / shaving gel that clogs up between the blades, defeating the purpose.

I prefer a gel for sensitive skin and moisturize regularly. Keep that skin nice and soft and smooth.
 Danteslnferno
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 9/8/2006 7:55:59 AM
Oh ya good point T-gurl. Rinse the razor.

As for why I use long slow strokes, I use that to shave my face as well as my head and I find it does shave smoothly that way. I use a Mach 3 razor. As for why I went into such detail for the steps and the washing and stuff, even when you use a conventional razor or the newer razors, you have to take care of the skin you have shaved over. For sensitive skin, those steps help make sure there is little abbrasion to the skin. The kid doesn't want his first few shaving experiences to turn his face into a meteor field. I got those tips on taking care of the skin from a Barber who did use a straight razor to shave my scalp and face. I incorporated the steps for my own shaves at home and I have had little problems with ingrown hairs, rashes, razor burns etc ... since shaving that way.
 prof_chaos
Msg: 16
Posted: 9/8/2006 10:16:56 AM
^^^^I agree you can get just as close a shave with an electric........provided its a good one,I wouldnt recomend getting a cheap electric razor they tend to rip the hair out sometimes,but a good electric is a great thing to have,hell I used to shave on the drive in from work,very convenient.
 Holy Grail
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 9/8/2006 10:19:12 AM
I usually shave in the shower (not recommended for the inexperienced) and do touch-ups after my shower is done. I use gel not cream. Short strokes are best, first with the grain than against it. I don't use after-shave.
 wileyc
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 9/8/2006 5:40:18 PM
I picked up a free Gillette Fusion razer at the CNE the weekend it opened. It's four blades and I find it does take alot fewer strokes to get a really smooth shave thus less irritation. I'm still using the same blade that came with it. It's expensive for the blades, but worth it (I used to use the Mach-3 which is 3 blades which was pretty good too).

I prefer to shave before showering. Warm water first then shaving cream for a few minutes. After I've shaved I hop in the shower. The running water gets rid of any post shaving irritation so no need for aftershave.

I really do miss having a woman shave me once in a while, same goes for shaving her legs...

Giggity...

WileyC
Show ALL Forums  > Ontario  > Advise from Men - Shaving