Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > The Mono Mix,,,      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 parallax
Msg: 2
view profile
History
The Mono Mix,,,Page 1 of 1    
One of my favorites is 'Louis Armstrong and is Hot 5 and Hot 7' - it is a compilation of recordings from around 1925 to 1928. (a good CD reissue is JSPCD 314) My favorites on it are "Muskrat Ramble" and "Cornet Chop Suey."

I got this album after I read (the now defunct) Listener magazine article 'Monolithic: The Thirty Best monophonic Recordings Ever Made' from the January/February 2002 issue.

There's lots of good stuff on mono - you may be taking a step off the deep end...
 Strange Days
Msg: 4
view profile
History
The Mono Mix,,,
Posted: 5/8/2007 4:41:06 AM
The Toshiba Apple Japan issues of the mono Beatles are the orginal (True) mon0 mixes. I too have encounted stereo mixed into mono.

A few of my other favorite mono lp's: Buffalo Sprinfield (Again) - Buffalo Springfield
Serealistic Pillow - Jefferson Airplane
Piper At The Gates Of Dawn- Pink Floyd (Also available in mono on disc)
 Strange Days
Msg: 6
view profile
History
The Mono Mix,,,
Posted: 5/10/2007 4:45:35 AM
The Axis lp was re-released in mono a few years ago by Sundazed Records. Mikey Fermer, the Stereophile magazine analog guy, said it was awesome. Expect to pay between $40- $70 for it. I truely feel, as I've mentioned in another thread, that the mono lp's of "Hard Day's Night", and "Rubber Soul" are much better. The Beatles themselves would spend alot of time on the mono mixes because they knew that that's how 90% of their fans would hear them. Stereo playpack systems were for well-heeled audiophiles who could afford Mac amps, or could build their own. George Martin would do the stereo mixes himself after the fact.
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > The Mono Mix,,,